PDA

View Full Version : David Reid

PeteLeo
07-28-2006, 02:04 AM
His gold medal win over the Cuban was pretty much a fluke, and he certainly didn't last long in the upper echelon of pro boxing (he didn't look like "all that" even pre-Trinidad), but he did manage to win a portion of a title and seemed to be a decent, nice enough guy. What's he doing now? I think I read somewhere that he had some noticeable -- and worsening -- boxing-related injuries. I hope I'm wrong. PeteLeo.

RIX
07-28-2006, 09:03 AM
I dont think David Reids Gold Medal was a "fluke." I KNOW that he had eye problems and was ADVISED to move his career along QUICKLY.... and did so.

Overhand_Right
07-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Didnt Sam Hill send him into retirement? What happened in that fight..?

KOJOE90
07-31-2006, 11:50 AM
I may be wrong here but I don't think there was anything wrong with his eye itself it was a problem with his eye lid.

PeteLeo
07-31-2006, 01:06 PM
The "fluke" designation was made in regards to Reid's Gold Medal performance because he was losing badly to the Cuban after two rounds (I forget the exact punchcount, but Reid's total was more than a dozen behind the Cuban's) and appeared to be unable to change the momentum of the bout when he landed a prayer of a right that hurt the Cuban badly enough to lead to the stoppage. David was one of the best amateurs in the world, but he was hardly in that bout until he got lucky with that single shot. To me, that's a fluke. PeteLeo.

Mexal
08-30-2006, 04:28 PM
How much of the Trinidad beating do u think played a factor in his quick descent?

smallon
08-30-2006, 06:52 PM
The "fluke" designation was made in regards to Reid's Gold Medal performance because he was losing badly to the Cuban after two rounds (I forget the exact punchcount, but Reid's total was more than a dozen behind the Cuban's) and appeared to be unable to change the momentum of the bout when he landed a prayer of a right that hurt the Cuban badly enough to lead to the stoppage. David was one of the best amateurs in the world, but he was hardly in that bout until he got lucky with that single shot. To me, that's a fluke. PeteLeo.

I don't know, he threw the punch and the intention was to hurt and knock out the Cuban which he did. To me that's not a fluke or "lucky punch," that's just doing what he intended on doing regardless of when the punch came.

Crold1
08-30-2006, 09:56 PM
David couldn't see because of the eyelid. They went to Tito early to get the $ and get out. In that respect, he was a success

PeteLeo
08-31-2006, 02:14 AM
I don't know, he threw the punch and the intention was to hurt and knock out the Cuban which he did. To me that's not a fluke or "lucky punch," that's just doing what he intended on doing regardless of when the punch came.

I know it's now the facile, "in" explanation to say that there's no such thing as a "lucky punch" in boxing, since every punch thrown is intended to hit the opponent and do him some harm, but I can't fully accept that way of thinking. Sometimes, you do simply get lucky. Especially when you've been throwing the same punch over and over for the whole match and getting next to zero results out of it. Just as Reid had been doing for the first two rounds.
David seemed as surprised as excited once he planted a good one in the Cuban's face, so while I'm aware he wasn't trying to miss his opponent, I still qualify the shot as "lucky" or even a "fluke" (i.e., a lucky punch that shouldn't have done much damage even if it accidentally landed where the thrower intended). Like Weaver's hook against Tate in the fifteenth, Don Fulmer's right hand that dropped Nino Benvenuti (but didn't stop him), or mild-punching Michael Nunn's devastating left against the normally untouchable Sumbu Kalambay in the first (I understand that Nunn had a decent KO per centage, but most of those scored against better opposition were wear-'em-down, late round TKOs).
Still, it makes sense to say that a punch thrown with bad intentions isn't actually lucky, since that was the sought after result, so I won't debate the issue.

But, come on, guys, how can anyone say (in light of his thoroughly mediocre career otherwise) that Rahman's only big win wasn' a fluke? PeteLeo.

raylawpc
08-31-2006, 10:41 AM
Pete:

By your definition would’nt that make

Maricano’s win over Walcott;
Jeffries win over Corbett in 1900; and
Benvenuti’s win over Luis Rodriguez

. . ., just to name three that immediately sprang to mind, “fluke” wins?

PeteLeo
08-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Nope, they're "lucky punches" (especially Benvenuti's demolition of Rodriguez, which broke Little Pete's tender little heart as he watched it on TV). PeteLeo.

Gallicrow
08-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Anyway, in answer to the original question - The most recent news I can find about David Reid is this article (http://www.talkingboxing.com/articles/2005/skjoldjuly6.html) from last year which says that was helping coach boxers at the United States Olympic Coaching Center.

I couldn't find any mention of him on the USOEC site (http://webb.nmu.edu/SportsUSOEC/SiteSections/CoachesAndStaff/CoachesAndStaff.shtml), but there is an e-mail address for Al Mitchell. You could try e-mailing him to ask whether David Reid is still involved there.

Gallicrow
08-31-2006, 12:52 PM
By the way, here's some pictures of that eye:
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/boxing/2004/0304/photo/g_reid_frt.jpg

Still noticable damage in 2005:
http://talkingboxing.com/photos/davidreid_large.jpg

ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY
11-14-2006, 12:21 AM
A FLUKE??? Come on now... we dont practice FLUKE punches...Dave was HIGHLY DECORATED AMATEUR... what if Dave was winning big and then caught the guy with same shot halfway thru the 2nd as opposed to end of 3... nobody would say THATwas a fluke.

PeteLeo
11-14-2006, 03:36 AM
That's the point: he DIDN'T hit the Cuban with that punch in the first or second round (cleanly and effectively, I mean), even though he was trying it all night long. He was getting his ass waxed, he was way behind, time was running out, he closed his eyes (eye?) and threw it one-more-time, and, by gosh, it landed with full power and turned the match around. Even if it wasn't a fluke of the magnitude of light-hitting Nunn crunching defensively accomplsihed Kalumbay with one left cross in the first round, after all of that throwing and missing, the shot was at least "flukish," like Weaver's hook against Tate. Reid was being thoroughly outclassed by a guy who had handled every previous punch just fine.
I can't believe this discussion is still going on. PeteLeo.

theironbar
12-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Any more news what David Reid is up to?

apollack
02-08-2010, 11:02 PM
David Reid dropped guys with hard and fast blows throughout his amateur and pro career. If he dropped and stopped a guy, it was no fluke. The dude could punch and he had good timing, particularly at 147, which was his best weight, IMO, not 154. If you can drop and stop a Cuban in a 3 or 4 round amateur bout in the Olympics, a freaking CUBAN for goodness sakes, guys with hundreds of bouts who are highly trained specifically to run and throw hard punches and outbox the best amateurs in the world, then it is no fluke. You have something that no one else in the Olympics had - because that was the gold medal fight. David Reid COULD land that punch. I know I couldn't.

Anyway, I recall him dropping Trinidad with a similar blow. He was live in that fight and might have actually been winning until he got caught with one of Trinidad's hellacious hooks. Great fight.

Gallicrow
02-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Any more news what David Reid is up to?

http://www.ringsidefitnessmqt.com/mbastaff.html

theironbar
02-09-2010, 06:12 PM
That is great -- thanks guys! :-)