PDA

View Full Version : Lew Jenkins vs. Diego "Chico" Corrales at 135

Juan C Ayllon
09-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Something tells me this would be something. On one hand, Diego could outbox Jenkins and--who knows?--maybe stop him if he's careful enough. However, Jenkins could also flatten him if he catches him.

What's your take on this matchup?

Regards,

Juan C. Ayllon

Roberto Aqui
09-12-2005, 06:06 PM
What is Chico's fight weight......148? This is a mismatch. Put Chico in Lew's 6oz gloves and Lew might be hurt bad.

Maybe Lew could use his experience to outbox the superfeather version of Chico, but Chico just whupped a bigger, stronger, better version of Lew.

Juan C Ayllon
09-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Lew Jenkin's boxrec.com Record (http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=009466)

Actually, that's not true, Robert. Just a look at his record above indicates he fought a lot of welterweights, including Carmen Basilio (weighed 142), Jimmy Doyle who weighed 148 to his 141 (Doyle, if I'm not mistaken, was literally killed by Sugar Ray Robinson), and Fritzie Zivic who weighed 144 to his 138, in addition to stopping Lou Ambers. Zivic was quoted as saying it felt as if the ceiling had fallen on his head, or words to that effect.

Frankly, I think Jenkins knocks Corrales out.

Regards,

Juan C. Ayllon

StingerKarl
09-13-2005, 01:24 AM
Jenkins by KO

Roberto Aqui
09-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Jenkins lost 33% of all his fights and the losses were scattered liberally at every phase of his career. He only had a 40% KO ratio.

His best fights were lightweight victories over the tough Ambers who he seems to have figured out, probably because those where the last fights Ambers had in a 100+ fight career. I don't see where he beat a significant welter ever.

I can see an inexperienced superfeather of Corrales losing, but no way is the current version of Corrales going to lose to a little guy like Jenkins.

Juan C Ayllon
09-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Hey Roberto,

It was a pretty well known fact that Jenkins showed up drunk for a number of his fights, which probably accounted for a great deal of his losses. When an all-time great like Fritzie Zivic said his punch packed real power--the same who fought Jake LaMotta and said he didn't hit hard--I have to stand up and take notice.

I doubt Chico could go ten rounds with Zivic. Know what I mean?

Also, where do you get "small guy" for Jenkins? His reach was 68", he was 5' 8" tall, and packed a ton of power, enough to make all-time great Henry Armstrong respect his right hand when they fought. This is the same Armstrong that won and lost by decisions to Lou Ambers, whom Jenkins kayoed.

When he fought at the lower weight classes, he was once described as "a stack of bones." No doubt, he filled out a bit at 140 plus. From what I understand, the weight posed NO problem. However, the drinking certainly did.

Corrales is listed at 5' 11" and 70 inches reach.

Cheers,

Juan

wolgast
09-13-2005, 02:21 PM
in lew's day, fighters weighed-in at noon, day of fight. how would that have affected Corrales?

Roberto Aqui
09-13-2005, 04:08 PM
[[[in lew's day, fighters weighed-in at noon, day of fight. how would that have affected Corrales?]]]
========

Like I stated, Corrales would likely be in the welter division today at this point. I already mentioned the possibility of an experienced Jenkins being able to take him at superfeather, which would be lightweight in Jenkins' day.

As far as Jenkins being drunk, well, who's fault is that? Should Corrales have to be drunk too? All I know is Jenkins never won a significant fight at welter and is one of the most inconsistant fighters of any fighters who ever won a belt regardless of what he weighed.

Juan C Ayllon
09-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Interesting statements, Robert.

Jenkins went up against welterweight killers like Fritzie Zivic, Armstrong, and Carmen Basilio and was at least somewhat competitive.

For all his over the weight limit antics, somehow I have a hard time seeing Corrales being competitive with true world class welterweights today, much less big time welters of that day.

1950-03-06 140 Carmen Basilio 142 18-2-2
State Fair Coliseum, Syracuse, NY, USA L MD 10 10

--www.boxrec.com

Castillo nearly stopped Corrales, mind you. Somehow I do not see Corrales in the same league as many true welters today, not to mention of those days.

Tell me: Can you see Corrales lasting the distance versus Carmen Basilio? I can't.

Inconsistent or not, Jenkins was one tough cookie who stood and traded with the best.

Also, regarding the drunken comment, that was a pretty snarky thing to say. You can't be serious.

I took it for granted that when doing fantasy fights, it was assumed that we're talking best effort, prime versus prime.

Prime versus prime, I stand behind Jenkins.

Regards,

Juan C. Ayllon

Ronald Lipton
09-13-2005, 09:03 PM
I go with Jenkins by KO.

Jenkins was a wildman with such dynamite in that right hand he would take out Corrales who was dropped by Castillo who has many ko's but not like the kind Jenkins scored. Castillo had him on the deck with pretty good shots but not like Jenkins'.

Lew was an animal, Diego is a well spoken gentleman that would have a Tazmanian Devil on his hands instead of a give an take slow punching battle of atrition.

Just remember that 5'6" Floyd Mayweather had him all over the deck. Jenkins was like a little Earnie Shavers.

Roberto Aqui
09-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Jenkins also lost to Zivic, Armstrong and Basilio. As far as lasting the distance against Basilio, a low tier journeyman Jason Cunningham did twice the year before the Jenkins bout, taking one from Basilio.

C'mon guys, you can do better. I already said that and inexperienced Corrales might be vulnerable at superfeather, but Castillo is a prime HOFer who would be a HOF welter in Jenkins day. Put an experienced Corrales in those 6 oz gloves and he might be barred from boxing. I would favor Mayweather and Castillo over Jenkins as well. Maybe Casamayor too.

Juan C Ayllon
09-13-2005, 09:25 PM
C'mon guys, you can do better. I already said that and inexperienced Corrales might be vulnerable at superfeather, but Castillo is a prime HOFer who would be a HOF welter in Jenkins day.

--Roberto

We can do better? No disrespect, but whatever, Roberto.

Name one decent welterweight champ or contender that Castillo or Corrales can beat TODAY, not to mention the greats from the past. I'd be willing to bet that there are journeymen welters today at the club level that could send Corrales into la-la land. And the champs? Forget about it! Can you honestly say that you think Corrales would get by Antonio Margarito, for example? How about Zab Judah?

In my opinion, Castillo would probably find himself falling short of the peak welters today as well. Forget about HOF status.

From Jenkins' day, I'll bet there's a long line of welters that would absolutely feast on Castillo and Corrales. HOF in their day? They'd have a hard enough time making it to top 10, in my opinion.

You know, just because you walk around at a certain weight--or fight at a certain weight on fight day--doesn't make you proficient at that wieght class.

If that were the case, then Oscar De La Hoya--who walks around at around 190 or so--would be an awsome light heavyweight or cruiserweight prospect. Ditto for Duran, who while lightweight champion of the world, often got his weight up in the high 180's in between fights. Gatti, who regularly weighed in the middleweight range while fighting at 140 or so, would be a premiere, world-class middleweight. However, we just know that ain't so.

Perhaps this line of argument is a bit ridiculous, but the underlying point is valid. For examples sake, look at how WBO Welterweight Champ Antonio Margarito fared when he took on 154 lb. WBO Welterweight Champ Daniel Santos.

Frankly, I think the burden of proof is in your corner.

Now, as for Basilio losing to a journeyman, from what I understand, his career was somewhat checkered in his earlier days and he was a bit of a "late bloomer", in terms of his success in his career. He'd still knock Corrales dead on his better days. And, if you don't believe me, well, I must say that is truly disappointing.

Regards,

Juan C. Ayllon

Roberto Aqui
09-14-2005, 02:28 AM
[[[Name one decent welterweight champ or contender that Castillo or Corrales can beat TODAY, not to mention the greats from the past.]]]

Look Juan, I don't know what more I can do to make you understand that Castillo would probably be a welter in Lew's day. He's only a lightweight in this era because of rule changes. You ever see some of those 6' Mexican feathers that look like welters in the ring?

And yeah, Castillo handled Floyd very well and deserved the first fight, so my guess is he could compete with Armstrong, Ross, and the rest. Castillo can fight with anyone as can Corrales.

I respect older eras and sometimes favor older fighters, but I don't wear old time rose colored lenses either. I do feel like I just stepped into the middle of a hereto hidden away Jenkin's fan club!

Juan C Ayllon
09-14-2005, 02:57 AM
Hi Roberto,

Hey, no hard feelings. I understand what you are trying to say. It's just that I don't think Corrales has the chops--quite literally--to deal with the abuse that great pros like Zivic, Armstrong, Jenkins, et al would dish out his way. I think, more often than not, he'd be counted out.

What's more, I don't think either have shown enough to even suggest that they'd be HOF material in Jenkin's generation.

However, there is no way to corroborate our arguments either way. Perhaps that's why they call it "Fantasy Fights."

I also hear you on Corrales and Castillo fighting at welter "back in the day." We just diverge on how well they'd perform at that weight class in that era.

Either way, it's not that big a deal. We both have our points of view, which is fine.

And, by the way, I'm no huge fan of Jenkins. I just think he'd kick Corrales' butt.

By the way, speaking of old time fighters, you might enjoy my interview of Johnny Tapia, where he talks about old time greats, as well as what he learned from them, amongst other things:

Johnny Tapia Interview (http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/news/archives/00001205.htm)

Cheers,

Juan