PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Cervantes vs Wilfred Benitez rematch

pendleton23
07-20-2005, 09:28 PM
They were suppose to box a rematch but benitez gave up his title to campaign as a welter.If he would have fought Cervantes instead do you think he could have duplicated his first bout with Cervantes?

Dan Hanley
07-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Pendleton, actually Benitez was stripped of the title for backing out of the rematch with Cervantes. Cervantes regained the vacant WBA title by stopping Carlos Gimenez and two months later Benitez was defending a NY only recognized version of the Jr. Welter title. So as you can see he had not left 140 at this time and should have been duking it out with Cervantes in a rematch at this time. I truly believe the 17 year old Benitez caught Cervantes by surprise after Cervantes had just cleaned the Jr. Welter house by dispatching the two top boys, DeJesus and Thompson. I don't believe Benitez was even in the Ring's top ten and could have been looked upon by the Cervantes management as an easy defense. Not to take anything away from Benitez as he was to have a brilliant career, but at this time I believe Cervantes would have taken him in the rematch.

Dan

StingerKarl
09-04-2005, 03:04 AM
Benitez again;, but wider this time round over the Great Pambele.
Karl