PDA

View Full Version : Florentino Fernandez V Eduardo Lausse

Ronald Lipton
08-18-2005, 03:56 PM
This is the one fight at middleweight other than champs I would have liked to see.

I felt they were two of the hardest left hookers my eyes have ever seen at 160lbs.

When I saw Lausse drop Fullmer with one shot and the hook he took out Varona with my jaw dropped in awe.

Fernandez' KO over Jose Torres still is one of the most amazing beatings I ever saw to the body and his wars against Fullmer and Tiger still stand out in my mind.

This is truly a pick em war, where one punch could end it.

StingerKarl
08-18-2005, 04:22 PM
This would have been a good one.
Both fighters were very feared; Lausse never received a title shot.
Lausse to me was the better boxer between the two, and it may have come down to that.
He moved in and out, back and around-I think he picked his shots better than Florentino did.
I'd go with Lausse here in a brutal fight.
Karl

Rafael
08-18-2005, 10:05 PM
I recently saw Lausse vs. Marcel Pigou. What a fight! Sort of a Gatti-Ward of the 50's. In any event, I agree with Stinger here. Floro Fernandez was rawer than KO Lausse. I can see some hellacious exchanges here, but Lausse's better skills would take the edge out of Fernandez's shots. Ultimately, Floro takes one left hook too many and is unable to continue. Lausse KO or TKO mid rounds.

Ronald Lipton
08-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Rafael,

that is a good assessment.

I too saw that fight and it was one of the most punishing fights I have ever seen bar none. I do not know how these men took that kind of punishment, those extremely hard punches round after round without any sign of going down.

I think they would both destroy any middleweight today.

Where and how did you see that fight, a buddy sent it to me on tape, I did not think too many other people have seen that particular fight and it was an all time show stopper to me.

Ron

Rafael
08-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Ron, I got the Pigou-Lausse fight from a collector, just by luck really, as I did not expect to see it on any lists. I treasure my copy of that fight as I do my Lausse-Fullmer one! Anyways, a curious fact is that Lausse only fought one more time (and beat an obscure foe) after the Pigou fight. I don't know the particulars of the rankings at the time, but I am going to guess that a win over Pigou would have put him in title contention, as Eduardo had stopped ranked Wilfie Greaves prior to that fight. I think Lausse would have had a great chance of beating Pender or Downes had they fought around that time. What do you think? I have some Argentinian friends that tell me that Lausse -because of his low key personality- was never an icon in his own country. A flamboyant guy like Jose Maria Gatica, who was destroyed by Ike Williams when he stepped up to the big leagues, was far more popular than Lausse in Argentina.

Ronald Lipton
08-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Eduardo who passed away at the young age of 66 had beaten Kid Gavilan, Fullmer, Ralph Tiger Jones and fought that brutal fight with the Frenchman doing very well until the time of the stoppage.

He lost to Andres Selpa who had his number twice I believe, and was a tough fighter who later lost to Bob Foster although I may be mistaken.

I would bet the house on Lausse taking Pender and Downes. He carried the left hook like an explosive charge, like a cocked gun and man did he have whip and shoulder follow through on that left hook. It was a very heavy wallop with some of the most developed powerful shoulder behind it the ring has ever seen at middleweight.

It had iron jawed Gene Fullmer absolutely rubber legged and down from one clean clip on the jaw as Gene rushed him, Eduardo took a step back and cracked him.

I believe he fought Victor Salazar after Pirou.

The boxing crowd should have appreciated him more, he was the goods. In shape, powerful, guts and power always looking to rip your head off with that big hook.
He had some staying power in the Fullmer and Pirou fights.

On the best day I ever had at being a strong fighter I could never take the punishment I saw this guy take and still come on strong. Just beyond my comprehension of physical fitness. I am in awe of the man.

Death King
08-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Lausse, should be ranked in the top 20 middeweights of all-time. I have troubled ranking Fellumer, and not Lausse even though Lausse beated Fullmer.

rocky111
08-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Eduardo would win this one, but lets not forget that at his peak Fernandez was one strong hard hitting mother with a very good chin. He took bombs from Tiger and kept coming. He was a bull. The Carter bout had him getting nailed, but with Rubin that could happen. But get Florentino into the fight and the sweat going and he could PUNISH. Still the knockdown by Eduardo on Fullmer and his other great fights sticks with me. Id pick him and its a pity he never got a title shot, like Langford, Wills, Ramey and others.
Leave it up to Ron Lipton to come up with a maniac hitting matchup like this one!