PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Ortiz

raylawpc
09-01-2006, 12:15 PM
I have fond recollections of a day spent chauffeuring Carlos Ortiz around Oklahoma City when he fought Johnny Copeland there in 1972. He was the first champion (albeit ex-champion) I ever spent any time with, and I thought he was a very classy guy - everything I imagined a champ to be.

Anybody know what Carlos is up to these days?

GorDoom
09-01-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm a big fan of his also. Last I heard (about a year ago) he's been driving a cab in NYC. Unfortunately between all his fights & his heavy alcoholisim he's a little out of it.

GorDoom

raylawpc
09-01-2006, 04:39 PM
I read in an article that he had experienced an alcohol problem, but the article didn't indicate clearly when he started drinking so heavily. It did indicate that he is sober now. I hope that's still true.

GorDoom
09-01-2006, 10:56 PM
He is sober now & has been for many years. But he was a complete drunk during his career which makes his enormously successful boxing career so astounding. I talked to him 3-4 years back on the phone because I wanted to arrange an interview with him for the CBZ.

But he was barely coherent - not because he was drunk - but because the damage that has been done. Regretfully I dropped the idea of the interview.It was painful talking to him in that shape because he had been such an icon to me as a youth.

GorDoom

Elwill7847
09-01-2006, 11:40 PM
I see Ortiz at the Boxing HOF Induction Weekend every year. he is very accessable and fan friendly.

phlboxarc
09-02-2006, 08:05 AM
I always stop and talk to Carlos at Canastota and he is a real good guy. Two years ago we talked about how him and Johnny Busso used to hit each other with broom handles when they ran with different gangs while living on the Eastside before they became pros. Carlos had a lot of respect for Johnny and was sorry hearing about his death. I was pleasantly surprised when he said him and Kenny Lane keep in touch, knowing they were bitter rivals when they were fighting. But thats why boxers are great, they have their battles and develop a great respect for each other after their careers end.
Chuck

mike casey
09-03-2006, 06:12 AM
Stephen, didn't Carlos get involved with Paul Simon at some point on Simon's ill-fated Capeman stage musical project? He was apparemntly one of Simon's sporting idols.

gregbeyer
09-03-2006, 10:47 PM
i just saw a clip of carlos being interviewed in the gil cadilli story. i thought he looked ok.
greg

theironbar
09-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Was he bad at all Greg? I'd love for someone to revive that interview Gor as he is one of my faves as well... Is there any sport like boxing where you can have so many competitors you admire? They are definitely a breed apart...