PDA

View Full Version : RIP, HBO''s Lucky Louie

DscribeDC
09-20-2006, 10:19 AM
I loved this show. An attempt to make a 70s-style three-camera, live-audience sitcom incorporating the freedom of pay cable (raunchy language, sexual situations, nudity), this show was hilarious, with a tremedously funny cast (Laura Kightlinger, Mike Haggerty). It could really have gone somewhere, but it didn't pick up an audience quickly enough. Apparently, it was too gritty for the couch potatoes who like their comedy served up as an "Entourage"-style wish-fulfillment creem dream. A real shame.

PeteLeo
09-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Go to YouTube and watch Bah-Bah Wa-Wa bitchslap Louie CK on "The View" after sampling an episode of "L.L." and finding it to be the most disgusting thing she's ever witnessed (outside of her bathroom mirror, of course). PeteLeo.

DscribeDC
09-20-2006, 01:09 PM
All the more reason to love the show.

Bucket, Lucky Louie is a TV show, not a person. Why is this in the obits thread????

DscribeDC
09-20-2006, 01:21 PM
I hate to diss my fellow B.C. alumnus Elizabeth Hasselbeck, but you will notice that the "View" panelist with the functioning brain, Joy Behar, actually defended Louis C.K. That says it all, as far as I'm concerned.

The episode Walters saw (the one featuring the vibrator) was one of the funniest of the lot. Trust me, if the show had pulled better ratings, C.K. would be fodder for one of those fawning, "most fascinating people" Wawa specials where she's shot through about eight miles of gauze and a jar of vaseline.

BoxofDaylight
09-20-2006, 09:23 PM
This was one very UNFUNNY show. There were no redeeming, likeable qualities about any of the characters--even the kid. The direction and writing were piss-poor. Any excuse to use profrane words. I'm no prude and can listen to a longshoreman's vocabulary with no problem, but this show's use of expletives and "dirty" words was forced and un-natural. And the timing of the delivery of the lines was bad, with huge gaps. This show made me cringe. It was like watching a slow-motion trainwreck. I tried to get into each new episode, but had to turn the channel after seeing no improvement.

DscribeDC
09-21-2006, 09:18 AM
I loved the kid. Lucy was a slap in the face to every rosy-cheeked, precocious cliche on TV. She was just plain weird and willful in the way that kids can be. 100% pure heresy for the Olsen Twins generation. Pure genius.

Todd
09-21-2006, 09:29 AM
My fault for throwing it into the obits forum, DC. I didn't actually read past "RIP" until right now.

BDeskins
09-21-2006, 10:09 AM
It wasn't a favorite, but I watched every episode and thought it was decent enough though Ric is correct in most of his statements...the profanity was used, it seemed, simply just because the writers knew they could say "fuck" on the show. The dope-selling actor could have been a pretty solid character, but I felt that it was simply just bad acting. Most of the characters were just simply unbelievable and not like anyone in real life! As I said, I watched every episode and would probably watch another season, but there's certainly been a lot better on HBO, but there's also been a lot worse. I'd liked to have seen it given another year to see what might materialize after the experience of the first year!

Has anyone heard anything about Rome?

DscribeDC
09-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Rome, jeez, talk about a show with no likable characters...

hagler04
09-21-2006, 11:48 AM
I also didn't think it was that good. There are smart ways to make a show more "real" or "R-rated" without going for the obvious. Characters were tossing around profanity like they were making $50 for every time they said 'fuck.' I've known of LOTS of families were cussing is very common, but the way it was done in this show was wholly unrealistic and just plain stupid.

DscribeDC
09-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Well, each to his taste, I guess.

I suppose I prefer the honest raunch of LL to the cutesy-pie sanitized crudity of leerfests like "Two and a Half Men" or "Scrubs." But I guess we live in a cutesy-pie culture, so...

Mike DeLisa
09-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Is this the show I turned off after the husband called his wife a cum-bucket?

PeteLeo
09-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Well, each to his taste, I guess.

I suppose I prefer the honest raunch of LL to the cutesy-pie sanitized crudity of leerfests like "Two and a Half Men" or "Scrubs." But I guess we live in a cutesy-pie culture, so...

I state with pride that I have never seen a single episode of "Lucky Louie," "Two and a Half Men," or "Scrubs." I am -- and remain -- virginal in spirit. PeteLeo.

DscribeDC
09-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Oh well. So some folks did not like it.

One thing you can be sure of: In a couple years' time, someone will do a tamer, watered-down version for one of the networks and it will be hailed as "audacioius, irreverent and ground-breaking."

Just like any type of art -- the first guy gets reamed and the second in line gets the laurels.

BDeskins
09-26-2006, 01:56 PM
>>>Is this the show I turned off after the husband called his wife a cum-bucket?<<<

That would be it!

Like I said I watched every episode, but I think Louis CK did better when he was a writer for the Chris Rock show adn writer for other shows...plus you have to remember...the movie "Pootie Tang" came from the mind of Louis CK.

As to network tv shows, I never watch them.

Steve Coughlin
10-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Dscribe,

You may want to check out a few episodes of Two and a Half Men. I DETEST US network TV, but a buddy dared me to watch three episodes and told me he'd give me $1,000 if I didn't laugh out loud. Lost the chance at the grand in the first episode I watched.

Sure, it's no "Young Ones" but there are laughs to be had every episode...

And I love Louis CK's stand up, and Jim Norton's too, but Lucky Louie did nothing for me and I really wanted to see it do well.

PeteLeo
01-15-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm not particularly prudish in my entertainment tastes -- nor am I easily offended by language and raunch --, but after watching the end of CK's standup session on HBO the other night, I have to say that the next time I endure a performance by this asshole will be an accident. Have you heard how he talks about his OWN children? Two little girls, one about four and the other a pre-toddler, and he calls them names I haven't heard applied to people outside of truckstops. He even laughs about how he almost killed the baby by parking her stroller behind an active exhaust pipe. I can understand parental frustration and even the demystification of childhood, but this foul-mouthed lump of garbage leapfrogged completely beyond any sort of societal acceptance. If I were this "man's" wife, I'd leave the kids alone with the bastard about as soon as I'd volunteer to have a paving stone dropped on my head from forty feet. Are a few giggles from a stoned audience worth what these little girls will suffer once they're old enough to understand what their "daddy" said about them?
To use his own favorite words, Fuck you, Louis CK. PeteLeo.

PeteLeo
01-15-2007, 01:39 PM
POOTIE TANG (CK's contribution to modern film), according to Rotten Tomatoes, has racked up an impressive total of less than three million bucks since its lamented release and has yet to make a home video appearance. Good.

Man cracks wise about how bad his four year old daughter would look if he hit her in the face as hard as he could -- THAT'S entertainment. PeteLeo.

BDeskins
01-15-2007, 02:12 PM
You do realize that the biggest percentage of stuff that he says is made up right? I do agree that a lot of things that he said were very offensive and just plain idiotic, a lot of them, but I doubt very seriously if 5, or 10 percent of it is true...if that much.

PeteLeo
01-15-2007, 02:37 PM
I hope you're right. But this was his standup routine, not the short-lived show (which I never saw, though I generally do enjoy Jim Norton's material [the little I've seen of it since we now have that shitty "Colbert Report" instead of "Tough Crowd"]).
Maybe I'm just too touchy when it comes to kids, but I doubt that it would change my opinion of the pissant if I were to be assured that it's all in his imagination. I can't stomach people who even "imagine" crap like that about children. PeteLeo.

DscribeDC
01-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Why are you cracking on POOTIE TANG, ma damie? That movie was hilarious and no children were harmed in the making...

PeteLeo
01-16-2007, 01:00 PM
"In the failures of my enemies are found my dearest joys." Anybody who jokes about killing his own children is my enemy. PeteLeo.

DscribeDC
01-16-2007, 01:04 PM
There's a word for people who think about killing their own children.

Parents.

As long as they don't act on these fantasies, let's cut 'em some slack.

PeteLeo
01-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Getting paid to stand up in front of an audience and "lovingly" describe fantasies about hitting a four year old daughter in the face with your best shot IS acting on those fantasies, as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't trust that asshole around any child of mine as much as I'd trust Michael Jackson with them in his bedroom. PeteLeo.

PeteLeo
10-11-2009, 03:08 AM
;)

PeteLeo
10-11-2009, 03:08 AM
Whoops! Accidental reply. Please ignore. PeteLeo.

PeteLeo
10-18-2009, 01:34 AM
Awww, first the wonderful POOTIE TANG is so unsuccessful that some folks don't believe it was ever a real movie, and now THE INVENTION OF LYING, Louis CK's latest towering foray into the acting world, has become an unmitigated finacial flop.

Poor ol' Louis "Watch Me Leave My Own Children With Permanent Psychological Damage" CK. Will genius never be recognized in its own time? Pete "Laughing" Leo.