PDA

View Full Version : Who Do I Have To Kill To Get A Copy Of Quarry/mathis Sr?

Overhand_Right
09-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Why is any high profile Jerry Quarry fight such a task to get hold of?

I'm a big fan of both guys as well as 60s/70s era heavies, this fight would give me a lot of pleasure to watch again & again over the years.

Anyone ever seen or heard of anyone with a copy?

Overhand_Right
11-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Anyone?

Roberto Aqui
11-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Stinger Karl is the resident Quarry fan and expert.

broncano
11-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Some are still waiting for Karl to reply to this thread from the old board:

I have the DVD of Jerry Quarry W 12 Buster Mathis in very fine condition that I will not release.

http://p068.ezboard.com/fcyberboxingzonefrm12.showMessageRange?topicID=269 .topic&start=1&stop=20

Overhand's homicidal references in this thread's title only echo his previous thoughts on what he calls "hobbits who dont help the community one bit and will probably be buried with a death-grip round their shaky old rare reels, and a big satisified rotting smile on their corpse face." :p

Overhand_Right
11-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Holy crap completely forgot i wrote that. Dont think it will endear me to the people who are likely in possession of a Quarry/Mathis tape LOL!!

We could easily resurrect this old debate again. There will always be people like me, Broncano, probably around 90% of CBZ who are the type of guys who would love to share rarities like Liston/Folley and Quarry/Mathis were they to have them, unfortunately the type of people who do actually possess them want to keep them all to themselves and never let even their hardcore boxing buddies enjoy them. Strange, weird, but reality.

Rafael
11-26-2006, 01:22 AM
Puzzling.....

gregbeyer
11-26-2006, 02:01 AM
overhand...e-mail me at ...gbeyer1952@hotmail.com

greg

StingerKarl
11-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Yes my brothers.
But it cannot be released now due to the wishes of the family, ok?
I do not know the circumstances and I am not going to push it.
I would say it will be released eventually, yes.
Karl

Overhand_Right
11-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Karl, i dont want to press a sensitive subject, but in your opinion why would the Quarry family not want Quarry fans to be able to watch tape of one of Quarrys finest performances? Do you think you could shed any light on this?

Evrenb
11-28-2006, 01:06 PM
I think you will find that the quarrys lost their copy. The Mathis family are the ones that do not want it released. Perhaps that situation has changed in recent years.

It makes me laugh with comments on here sometimes where someone states collectors 'will not give out material', they want it for themselves etc etc etc
But you do not know the story of each acquisition. Sometimes material passes your way that cannot be given out...family wishes, legal ramifications, trust from collectors. Sometimes films are obtained 'through the backdoor' so if you were seen handing out footage it would be my neck in the ringer. Of course there are some that do it for selfish reasons, they obviously have a problem...

Evren

PeteLeo
11-28-2006, 01:57 PM
This may be sufferably trivial, but the bout with Quarry was the one in which Buster's trunks split all of the way up the back, exposing the hamhocks to the world (I saw a photo of this in the newspaper), so maybe the Mathis people don't want this extremely embarrassing image of their departed loved one available to a bunch of reprobates like us boxing fans. PeteLeo.

theironbar
11-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Pete -- I'm going to bet you hit the nail on the head!

Overhand_Right
11-29-2006, 05:30 AM
Larry Holmes and Riddick Bowe and James Broad and im sure countless others have torn their trunks during a fight and exposed their ass, its not like it doesn't happen in boxing. Who cares? I doubt that could be the reason?

Also, previously it has been said round here that the QUARRY family didn't want it released.

theironbar
11-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Hey -- I want you to get the fight -- I was just thinking maybe the Quarry family received their copy from the Mathis family, on the condition the tape wasn't distributed. I know I wouldn't want anyone to see my dead dad's bare ass (I'm sure they wouldn't either ;) ).

Overhand_Right
11-30-2006, 06:04 AM
Lol. I understand your point totally, but as i say its happened to many fighters it aint that embarrassing. I wouldnt laugh at any guy who fought Frazier, Chuvalo and Quarry regardless of his body shape or torn trunks or whatever else.

Mike DeLisa
11-30-2006, 12:43 PM
does anyone know what tv network originally broadcast the quarry-mathis bout?

theironbar
11-30-2006, 04:19 PM
:D

Overhand, I'm a man on a mission now! Maybe we should try and contact the Mathis family? Does anyone know how? It seems everyone on the board is one or two degrees of separation from other members of the boxing community...

Following up on Mike's question -- Karl, on the tape you have, which network is broadcasting the fight?

Mikey Capp
11-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Hello Iron Bar,

The Jerry Quarry vs Buster Mathis bout was televised by the Madison Square Garden Network.

Regards Mikey Capp

theironbar
11-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Thank you Mr. Capp! :o

Mike DeLisa
12-02-2006, 02:10 AM
MSG network?? Did that exist at the time, 1969?

Was it ever shown on TV? Was it shown in theaters?

Mikey Capp
12-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Hello Mike,

First allow me to congratulate you on the fine job that you did last night on the "Battle Zone" telecast as their color analyst.

Second the Madison Square Garden Network televised live fights from 1965 to 1975, some which have surfaced from that time period with the two fighters in question are Buster Mathis vs George Chuvalo 12RDS,Ron Lyle vs Jerry Quarry 12RDS.

The Big Fights Inc bought that collection from M.S.G. but for whatever reason the Buster Mathis vs Jerry Quarry 12RD fight, the Frankie Depaula vs Dick Tiger 10RD fight, nor the Joey Giardello vs Ruben Carter fights were there. There is no explanation for this that I am aware of, I know that Joey Giardello has the only complete 1st generation of his fight with Ruben Carter which is why the fight WAS so hard to get, but not anymore. The copy is silent though so you don't get to hear the fine commentary of Les Kiter.

What I might suggest to the collectors who are looking to track down a copy of this fight is to call the Madison Square Garden Network. The new MSG Network has recently been broadcasting amatuer New York Golden Gloves Boxing Matches from their archives that date back to the 1970'S. Al Trautwig who host's a show on the network dedicated to classic New York Ranger hockey games,New York Knicks basketball games from the early 1970's... said that while going through some of the enormous number of films that are in their archive he would be watching a New York Ranger hockey game then in the middle of the game a New York Knickerbocker basketball game or New York Yankee Baseball Game that had'nt been seen in 40 years appears on the screen.

There might be a chance that they still have this fight in their possession and maybe others from 1965 to 1975. It wouldn't be the first time that the wrong film or 1/2 master was placed in the wrong container or cassette case.

Regards Mikey Capp

Overhand_Right
12-04-2006, 06:12 AM
Wow great knowledge Mikey thanks. Im actually in the UK so would be difficult for me to contact these people. I dont think im the only one seeking out Quarry/Mathis though. That certainly explains why its so hard to track down. Again though, we know someone has had it at some point because people on the board have copies.

Mikey Capp
12-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Hello Overhand Right,

Thank you and I am glad to have been of some help to you and the other board members regarding your query.

Regards Mikey Capp

brutu
07-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Anyone know if a copy of the Jerry Quarry vrs Buster Mathis
scheduled 12 round heavyweight elimination fight surfaced yet?
According to the newspapers of MARCH.24.1969.
The fight was going to be broadcast LIVE coast to coast
by TELEVISION SPORTS,INC.