PDA

View Full Version : Lyle vs Shavers

PD99
12-04-2006, 08:52 AM
On the "WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO...Ron Lyle" thread, Mike De Lisa has observed that Earnie Shavers dropped Ron Lyle WHILE going backwards!

Anyway, judge for yourselves by calling up the newly posted Lyle-Shavers fight on Youtube.

Until now, I've only ever seen teasing HLs of Lyle-Shavers and didn't appreciate the action and pace maintained throughout the fight. What a slugfest!

One gripe though, the ref's (who was he?) appalling ommision in not stopping the fight (didn't even twitch to move in until Earnie fell face first, I don't think) several clean head shots earlier when a bent, virtually motionless Shavers was quite obviously defenseless and "out" on his feet.

HE Grant
12-04-2006, 12:31 PM
The only film of the fight I ever saw was from a camera shot from the audience from about the third row. It is tough to see if Shavers was moving back or not but I'll tell you one thing, it was a hell of a left hook. All you hear about Earnie was his right but he had a nasty left as well. Lyle was seriously hurt, it was no flash knockdown. I'm surprised he survived. It might have been his biggest win ever.

Mike DeLisa
12-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Take a close look -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ayuz3SpSdg

At 6:20 in it is showed in slow motion.

raylawpc
12-04-2006, 03:01 PM
I just looked at "youtube." It looks like Shavers moves back to get better range, but then set himself before he threw the hook. But who knows with these youtube things? A great innovation, but the qualify is not always good. Witness the McGovern-Gans fight: Stills from the film certainly point to a dive by Gans, but the film on "youtube" is so blurry as to be inconclusive.

Monte Cox
12-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Lyle was tough as nails wasn't he? To take those shots from Shavers and Foreman too. One thing to notice is how much more easily Foreman moved Lyle around than does Shavers. It just shows what a monster Foreman was. Still, either of these guys would be a champion today. Can you imagine Shavers hitting Wlad Klitschko. Goodnight!

HE Grant
12-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Knowing all this about Lyle, his bout with Ali still amazes and disappoints me . Lyle was both star struck and overly concerned about punching himself out. Then he folds from one Ali right. Yes it was a good shot but he recovered against Foreman's and Shaver's bombs and yet fa;s apart from one good right and a follow up flurry where 80% of the punches either missed or were arm punches? I never got that one.

Roberto Aqui
12-10-2006, 08:17 PM
I never got that one.

Lyle was trying to ropa dope Ali. He forgot that the ref knew he wasn't Ali though. Gotta give credit for Ali going to town when he got the chance, but really, it was just another nail in Ali's health.

kenmore
12-10-2006, 10:03 PM
I didn't pick up on a backward movement by Shavers either at the moment the big left hook landed.

Anyway you look at it, though, that hook was a devastating punch, as Lyle was known for having an incredible chin.

Lyle is very lucky that the knockdown occured so close to the end of the round. Otherwise Lyle would have been stopped.

Kid Achilles
12-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Looks like hes going back to me. Yeah he does set himself but his weight shifts to his back foot and he's technically going backwards.

mike
12-31-2006, 08:12 AM
agree with monte--shavers a bit ovrrated--forman was the puncher of his era as those who grew up knew this-both can crack.

kenmore
12-31-2006, 01:59 PM
I didn't pick up on a backward movement by Shavers either at the moment the big left hook landed.

CORRECTION!...I just watched the film again and Shavers does indeed seem to be moving backwards when the big left hook lands. Maybe Earnie was just recoiling from the hook's impact, or maybe he was backing up when he tossed the punch. Either way, Mike DeLisa may be on to something here.

hawk5ins
07-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Unfortunately the You Tube link has been taken down for this fight.

My copy of the bout doesn't show the full betwen rounds after the 2nd, so I can't validate or refute Shavers claim.

It sounds like an exxageration but I don't have the vid at my hands with a full view of the break to confirm either way.

This thread may be of some help though.

Hawk

HE Grant
07-30-2008, 07:57 PM
I would not say Shavers was over rated as a puncher. Not after speaking with Holmes who was hut by him ...

mike casey
07-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Shavers is indeed moving back. I remember this one from my youth - an astonishing brawl. Lyle was DAMN tough, as Monte rightly observes. And no, I don't think Earnie was overrated as a hitter. I watched Holmes-Shavers II from a hotel room in Salt Lake City and couldn't believe that knockdown. You heard the explosion of Larry's body hitting the deck above the noise of the crowd. Somehow Holmes got up - an astonishing feat of toughness and sheer bloody-mindedness.

PeteW
07-31-2008, 12:25 PM
They used to show the Shavers knockdown of Holmes during the opening credits of the TV show World of Sport every Saturday in the UK.
It always brought to mind a big wave breaking on a rock.
Who knows how Holmes got up from that one. It would literally have killed most people.

mike casey
07-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Agreed, Pete. Larry was a wonder of stubborn pride and recuperative powers.

Dan1213
07-31-2008, 03:13 PM
http://i35.tinypic.com/20thrf5.jpg

Article from Salt Lake Tribune

PD99
07-31-2008, 08:13 PM
When this fight was on Youtube previously I had a good look and Shavers was not actually moving back as he threw the hook.

Earnie had stepped back just prior to launching the hook but within a nano sec after that his feet were actually set and he threw the hook instantaneously.

I think Earnie's abiilty to instantly launch a perfectly leveraged and executed hook AFTER having just stepped back makes the punch that much more notewothy.

hawk5ins
04-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Hawk

PD99
04-09-2010, 10:50 PM
This fight was taken off Youtube at some point and the previous link is now obsolete.

The fight is back on Youtube and the link below is the first of multiple clips posted to Youtube. This link will kick you off from rd one thru to rd three. The rest of the fight is easy to locate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyKEX21Qxg8

This new video category is excellent. Thanks to OTR and Gordoom.