PDA

View Full Version : Corbett Fight Details.

MATTDONNELLON
12-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Dont know if this qualifies but on December 11th, 1889 at the Mechanic's Pavillon, Portland, Oregon James J Corbett defeated Australian Billy Smith on points over six rounds. this fight is sometimes listed but as over 10 rounds on December 12. good clear report in the The Morning Oreganian of December 12th for anybody that got up early!

Mike DeLisa
12-06-2006, 11:19 AM
MAtt -- if you have a scan of the clip could you e-mail it to me so I can post it here?

raylawpc
12-06-2006, 05:57 PM
While doing that Maher research for you, Matt, I discovered that Young Griffo KOed James J. Corbett in New York City in 1895.

Mike DeLisa
12-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Say what??

Can we hear more?

raylawpc
12-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Yes. I was hoping somebody would ask. It is actually a funny story. I don't have ths story in front of me, but here's the gist of it:

In early 1895, Young Griffo had made his mark as one of the outstanding defensive fighters of the age – an old-timer’s Willie Pep. He began making the claim that he was so good defensively that he could last four rounds with heavyweight champion Jim Corbett, and his claim apparently generated lot of publicity for him. The thin-skinned Corbett, of course, took it all personally.

It just so happened that Griffo and Corbett found themselves together at a New York City watering hole. Corbett confronted Griffo about his claim, and an argument ensued. In the midst of the yelling Corbett lost his temper and knocked Griffo down with a punch to the head. As Griffo rose, Corbett raised both his hands in anticipation of a punch. Instead, Griffo leaped into the air and kicked Corbett in the face – savate-style, the newspaper said. Corbett dropped like a sack of potatoes and struck his head on a brass cuspidor, knocking him senseless. The newspaper said that Griffo exited the building without waiting to see if anyone would complete a ten-count.

The newspaper also said that Corbett’s friends tried to keep the story out of the newspapers. They, of course, failed since I got this info from a wire service report in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. I had never seen this story before, and I thought it was hilarious.

I will fax the story to you if you’d like, Mike.

raylawpc
12-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Yes. I was hoping somebody would ask. It is actually a funny story. I don't have ths story in front of me, but here's the gist of it:

In early 1895, Young Griffo had made his mark as one of the outstanding defensive fighters of the age – an old-timer’s Willie Pep. He began making the claim that he was so good defensively that he could last four rounds with heavyweight champion Jim Corbett, and his claim apparently generated lot of publicity for him. The thin-skinned Corbett, of course, took it all personally.

It just so happened that Griffo and Corbett found themselves together at a New York City watering hole. Corbett confronted Griffo about his claim, and an argument ensued. In the midst of the yelling Corbett lost his temper and knocked Griffo down with a punch to the head. As Griffo rose, Corbett raised both his hands in anticipation of a punch. Instead, Griffo leaped into the air and kicked Corbett in the face – savate-style, the newspaper said. Corbett dropped like a sack of potatoes and struck his head on a brass cuspidor, knocking him senseless. The newspaper said that Griffo exited the building without waiting to see if anyone would complete a ten-count.

The newspaper also said that Corbett’s friends tried to keep the story out of the newspapers. They, of course, failed since I got this info from a wire service report in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. I had never seen this story before, and I thought it was hilarious.

I will fax the story to you if you’d like, Mike.

greek1237
04-24-2007, 12:05 AM
It should not count on Corbett's fight record though. Even though its funny.

apollack
04-24-2007, 12:13 AM
My upcoming Corbett book will have the details of Corbett's bouts using local next day newspaper reports, including the Smith and Campbell fights in Oregon. Over 400 pages chock full of the boxing facts, details of the fights, opponents, etc. Just like my Sullivan book. Stay tuned. More boxing detail than any other bio on him ever written.