PDA

View Full Version : The Essential Boxing Library

Ted Cogswell
11-27-2005, 01:52 AM
Some of you might be familiar with the SABR's "Essential Baseball Library", which listed the must-own baseball books in a number of catagories. I think we should do the same thing here, and try to get a picture of what the cannon of boxing books might look like.

Go ahead and post suggestions in this thread (and if you'ld like, a few words on why you're nominating them). I'll compile a list and catagorize them. As time goes on, we can add and revise.

The primary catagories as I see it would be: Records/Reference, History, Biography/Autobiography, and Anthologies/Collections. I don't think that fiction or instructional/training books should be included. Please feel free to suggest other catagories,... I suppose that Muhammad Ali could easily have a catagory of his own.

PeteLeo
11-27-2005, 05:27 AM
Well, MARCIANO: BIOGRAPHY OF A FIRST SON should be among the initial acquistions in the biography category. An excellent look at the champ, with a "you are there" feeling when detailing his major fights. I forget the author's name (though I'm sure it's listed in sites like ABE and others). PeteLeo.

wolgast
11-27-2005, 02:28 PM
how could you eliminate fiction? The Professional by W.C. Heinz is one of the best ever.

Ted Cogswell
11-27-2005, 03:52 PM
If you want to nominate fiction, I'll put them on there. I just thought it would be a different genre.

wolgast
11-27-2005, 10:17 PM
T.S. Andrews Record Book Collection
Everlast Record Book Collection (1924-1937)
Ring Record Book Collection (1941-1987)
Fight Fax Collection (1982-present)
Complete run of Ring Magazines (1922-present, hardly viable)

cyberboxingzone
12-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Fireside Book of Boxing, ed. by W. Heinz and reprinted under a different name in last year or so is an outstanding intro to boxing reporting/history/literature.

Mailer's The Fight and Plimpton's Shadow Box are outstanding.

And hey, don't forget my book "Cinderella Man" by Mike DeLisa!

mike21
12-16-2005, 02:40 AM
wc heinz is the best book on boxing ever- the professional. teaching- the frazier book. the heinz book is a complete must- it made heinz the legend he is. order it in paperback. i like the marciano and latest johnson books.