PDA

View Full Version : Mac Foster ... ?

Overhand_Right
03-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Where is this former big hitter from the 70s?

He'll turn 60 this year, hope he's doing well.

Gallicrow
03-01-2007, 09:06 AM
According to boxrec.com and this interview from last year: http://www.ringsidereport.com/Kurtz3292006.htm and http://www.ringsidereport.com/Kurtz3302006.htm Mac Foster will actually be 65 in a few months time.

Here's the most interesting part of the interview:

JK: Everyone has heard the rumor about the time you knocked Liston out in sparring. How accurate is that and can you tell us about it?

Let me tell you the story and I have never told this to anyone before. I was sparring with Sonny and we were going at it pretty good. I wanted to fight him hard because I knew if I could box with him and handle Sonny's power I might be able to go pretty far in this sport. Sonny knew I could punch so he fought me hard as well. Then I hit Sonny clean with a hard jab and I could tell he was hurt by it. He staggered to the ropes. I backed off, because we were only sparring, but my corner kept telling me to go after him. I always listened to the people around me so I did. Sonny still had his gloves up while he was against the ropes. Eventually, I threw a hook that caught him square on the chin and he was out. He fell to the canvas and he was asleep. I was one of the guys who helped stand him back up on his feet. When Sonny started coming to he said "I got hit with a good punch, it happens." He walked around for like fifteen minutes to gather his senses and he wanted to keep sparring. Dick Saddler (Liston's trainer) kept telling Sonny to take it easy and to not fight too hard. It wasn't the same after that. The next day I came back and Saddler, once again, kept telling Sonny to take it easy, but Sonny wanted to fight harder. Saddler insisted on taking it easy while we sparred and that wasn't what we wanted to do so we didn't spar after that.

StingerKarl
03-20-2007, 07:29 PM
I know Big Mac attended Jerry Quarry's funeral.

brutu
08-18-2008, 05:39 PM
For another account,see old timers thread Sonny Liston/Mac Foster .

cassius11
08-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Anyone know where he lives now???

travrosty
05-29-2010, 07:39 PM
he lives in fresno, ca

blv30
06-02-2010, 03:48 PM
I wonder if he was ever signed to fight Shavers.

Surf-Bat
06-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Mike Parkhurst, who directed Sonny in "Moonfire", handled his show biz affairs and spent a ton of time with him late in his life/career, told me the whole Foster knocking out Sonny story was false. I've relayed it here before. According to MP Mac hit Sonny with an unexpected cannon shot, which hurt Liston and sent a gallon of snot cascading down his face. Liston was furious and tore into Mac until someone called "time".

TKO11
06-03-2010, 07:59 AM
As soon as you read Mac saying, "Let me tell you the story and I have never told this to anyone before," you just know what follows is certain to be a huge pile of bullshit. Put Liston to sleep in sparring and never told a soul for decades? Then decides to suddenly tell the story with no prodding or prompting at all? Sure.