PDA

View Full Version : Marquez-Barrera Results & Discussion 3/17/07

GorDoom
03-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Zev has volunteered to step up to the plate & cover this fight for us. Per usual please keep all discussion of this card to this thread.

Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

diggity
03-17-2007, 09:43 PM
My optimistic ass got a bad feeling suddenly the main event may blow. Pray I'm wrong...

Zevl
03-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Early results:

In a defense of his USBA jr. welterweight belt, Demetrius Hopkins (26-0-1, 10 KOs) won a twelve round unanimous decision over former world champion and "Contender" finalist Steve Forbes (32-5, 9 KOs). It seemed like Forbes outworked Hopkins in most rounds, however two judges gave Forbes only two rounds while the third gave Forbes three rounds. Scores were 118-110, 118-110, 117-111.

Bantamweight bomber Diasdado Gabi (29-3-1, 21 KOs) scored a second round TKO over Antonio Maria Cochero (17-5-1, 13 KOs). A right hand put Cochero on the deck and the bout was waved off at 2:59.

Flyweight Sergio Espinoza (14-2-1, 5 KOs) scored an upset ten round decision Juan Alberto Rosas (25-2, 22 KOs). Scores were 97-91, 97-91, 96-92

Eduardo Escobedo KO3(1:43) Edel Ruiz 126 (featherweight)

Anthony Martinez TKO2(1:28) Jesus Villareal (welterweight)

Ashanti Jordan KO1(1:45) Eric Molina (heavyweight)

Zevl
03-17-2007, 10:19 PM
First bout I'll be covering is Daniel Ponce De Leon vs. Gerry Penalosa for the WBO super bantamweight title. Robert Byrd is the referee.

Round One

De Leon starts strong, looks much bigger than Penalosa. De Leon is a bit wild with his punches but is pressing the action and going right at Penalosa. Penalosa punches more at end of round. De Leon's round.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Round Two

De Leon is persistant although he is very wild, missing by miles. Penalosa is starting to time De Leon, landing some nice shots. Nice right to end the round for Penalosa. Penalosa's round.

kikibalt
03-17-2007, 10:24 PM
De Leon doesn't know how to fight.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Round Three

Penalosa showing his experience, countering De Leon's wild punches. De Leon is still pressing the action but getting caught by the flashier, harder punches. De Leon jabbing more with some success later in round. De Leon's round.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Round Four

Penalosa showing good defense. De Leon jabbing and going to the body well. I agree with kiki, De Leon looks very amateurish at times. De Leon is outworking Penalosa. De Leon's round.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Round Five

Penalosa has to get busy to stay with De Leon who is again using his jab to outbox Penalosa at the beginning of the round. Penalosa getting busy and landing nice punches towards the end. Close round but De Leon's nonetheless.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Round Six

De Leon again outworking Penalosa, especially to the body. The harder, flashier shots are landed by Penalosa but he simply is not throwing enough to win these rounds. Good round for De Leon.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Round Seven

About the only thing that impresses me about De Leon is his workrate. I'd love to see Penalosa open up and throw more punches. Penalosa backs up De Leon with about a minute left. Still De Leon's round due to activity.

kikibalt
03-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Penalosa is fighting like he doesn't want to win, he is not putting out 100%

Zevl
03-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Round Eight

Seems more and more likely that Penalosa is unable to hurt De Leon, although things might be different if he threw more punches. Penalosa landing more this round as De Leon's eye is getting swolen. Penalosa's round.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Round Nine

De Leon still outworking Penalosa to begin round following the same pattern as before. Against a good counterpuncher with power De Leon would be in lots of trouble. Good round for De Leon.

kikibalt
03-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Imo Penalosa is way the better fighter, he is just not fighting.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Round Ten

De Leon is too busy for Penalosa. This is frustrating as Penalosa is just not punching enough and can't punch hard enough to hurt De Leon. De Leon's round once again.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Round Eleven

'Yawn', much the same, Penalosa has no chance at this point. I would hope I don't have to describe the action, much the same as the previous rounds. Penalosa lands some nice shots towards the end of the round. I'll give this round to Penalosa.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Round Twelve

Same as before, Penalosa a bit busier but hardly looking like he really wants to win this fight. De Leon's round once again.

Result

Unainamous decision for Daniel Ponce De Leon

Scores are 119-109, 120-108, 119-109

kikibalt
03-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Was that a world title fight? hell De Leon looks no more then a class B amateur fighter.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Main Event: Marco Antonio Barrera - Juan Manual Marquez

This has the potential to be either a real stinker or a real war. Let's see...

Referee is Jay Nady

Round One

Trading early, both land nice right hands. Trading jabs, look very evenly matched. Nice right hand by Barrera, who is countering nicely. Slight edge to Barrera.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Round Two

Marquez more of the aggressor but Barrera countering. More tactical than first round. Barrera lands a nice left hook but Marquez lands a nice combo. Trading with a minute left, Barrera lands a nice combo to end the round. Barrera's round.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Round Three

Barrera is the better boxer it seems. Marquez lands a nice left hook, and another. Much better round for Marquez. Barrera outjabbing Marquez. Trade at the end of the round, no one getting the better. Marquez's round.

kikibalt
03-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Good fight between two great fighters.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Round Four

Barrera jabbing to begin round. Not much landing from either man this round. Barrera and Marquez trade at the end of the round, neither guy gaining an advantage. Barrera's round by a very slim margin due to boxing and his jab.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Round Five

More boxing from both at the start of the round. Marquez lands nice right hand and a left hook. Barrera still jabbing, lands a left hook, and another. Close round, I'll give it to Marquez.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Round Six

They trade early, not much landed. Barrera jabbing is being a little more aggressive this round. They trade body shots. Barrera lands a couple of nice right hands. Marquez lands a right. Trade at the end of round, pretty even. Barrera's round, again close.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Round Seven

Marquez's left eye looking a bit swolen. Barrera once again using that jab to box effectively. Marquez lands a nice right hand, they trade combo's, Marquez lands a couple nice right hands, stuns Barerra. Barrera looks tired. Barrera floors Marquez and hits Marquez while he was down. Nady calls it a slip and deducts a point from Barrera. What bullshit. Nady is a moron. Marquez's round by two points.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Round Eight

Barrera landing nicely at start of round. Marquez looks recovered. Barrera lands nice right followed by right hand by Marquez. Trade punches with slight edge to Barrera. Great fight. Still can't believe Nady. Close round, I'll give to Barrera.

Zevl
03-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Round Nine

Barrera lands a nice combination punctuated by a little uppercut. Marquez lands a great left hook but Barrera comes back with a left hook. Jab is still landing jabs. Marquez's face is a mess. Marquez lands a nice combination. Barrera tries coming back but not landing. Another close round. Very slight edge to Marquez.

Zevl
03-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Round Ten

Marquez land a nice right hand to begin round. Both flurry after but not much land. Another right lands from Marquez. Barrera lands right hand, and another. Right hands the punch of choice for both this round. Barrera lands nice combo at the end of the round, however slight edge in round goes to Marquez.

Zevl
03-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Round Eleven

Barrera jabbing. Marquez lands a nice left hook. Nice one-two by Barrera. Trade body punches. Barrera pressing action a bit more. Trade at end, Barrera with nice right hand. Barrera's round.

Zevl
03-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Round Twelve

Both trading punches. Marquez lands left hook, Barrera lands a right hand. Again, same sequence of punches from both. Barrera lands a couple of nice left hooks and a right hand. Trade violently at the end. Barrera's round.

GorDoom
03-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Zev:

I just got back home & read your round by round report. Excellent job! I'm not watching the fight but your report makes me feel I am.

regards,

GorDoom

Punchdrunk
03-18-2007, 12:13 AM
ditto that!!

Zevl
03-18-2007, 12:14 AM
This will be controversial no matter what happens here because of that buffoon, Jay Nady. A great fight, makes it worth dishing out the money.

The Decision

118-109, 116-111, 116-111

Unainamous Decision for Juan Manual Marquez

No complaint that Marquez won but decision was strange to say the least, I had it much closer.

Punchdrunk
03-18-2007, 12:16 AM
Zev, who were the judges?

Zevl
03-18-2007, 12:22 AM
Zev, who were the judges?

Patricia Jarman and Paul Smith were two, can't recall the third.

diggity
03-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Never so happy to be wrong.
What a treat but what ridiculous scores IMO. Can't wait for the rematch & the rubbermatch.

Mexal
03-18-2007, 12:33 AM
I think it was a great fight. Those who thought it would be a snoozer were completely pessimistic about these two very fine fighters. I agree with the decision but those judges are something else I tell ya. When the first score was read I was like, "ok, here we go again".

And Nady, oh boy! He was doing a fine job of not becoming too involved and being invisible for most of the fight and then he decides not to call that knockdown. What was doing through his head I can only wonder. Why he keeps getting these big fights is completely beyond me.

hawk5ins
03-18-2007, 12:43 AM
I haven't had the wind taken out of my sails like this in quite awhile.

I'm with Zevl that this was a close bout. I would have been disappointed had Marquez won a close duke, but not outraged.

Based on Nady's complete flipping incompetence in Missing a CLEAR Knock down that he was RIGHT THERE to see,( HELL, he is in the flocking amera shot of the knockdown!) My final scorecard had Barrera by one point. Marco took a cheap shot when Juan Manuel was down and he CLEARLY deserved to have a point taken away. But to take a round that was Marquez's becuas eh had hurt Barrrera badly, and then to have Marco score the knockdown, but have it missed that flipping blind moron, who was inconsequnetial up until then, miss the knockdown...ugh.

You have a possible 2 point round that was Marquez's go to a 2 point round to Barrera, becuase of the knockdown. But Becuase of Barrera's dumb cheap shot he loses a point and thus is swings to him as a 1 point round, ONLY to have it go back to Marquez as a 2 point round because the idiot ref missed the knockdown....ARGHHHH!

But to top it all off, to have these flipping scorecards handed in! I would have had it for Barrera, by 4 points if Marco doesn't hit Marquez when he's down. Because he did, I would have had it for Marco by 3 points. But because of the 3 point swing because of Stevie Wonder, I only have it a 1 point bout for Marco.

But to have judges hand in scores of 118-109 and 116-111 for Marquez?

Heck, Nady gest off floking SCOTT free because of these Horrid cards. The controversy is no longer the controversy

Manny Steward said it best tonight: I give up on Judges.

Amen.

A wonderful fight was absolutely ruined tonight my friends. On TOO many levels.

Ugh.

Hawk

diggity
03-18-2007, 12:45 AM
It felt like an eternity waiting for Nady to get between the fighters when Marquez went down. Was he too busy practicing the stupid smirk that he makes when he's announced during the introductions?

I would have been ok with a draw or a close win by either fighter. Certainly not a 5 point discrepancy or more.

kikibalt
03-18-2007, 12:54 AM
It was a very close fight, could have gone either way, but for the record I had Marquez winning by 2 points. great fight for two counter punchers.
I have to say that I was one of the ones that said it would not be a good fight, and boy was I wrong, I take my hat off to Marquez and Barrera for a great fight, I had already made up my mind not to buy the fight, when my son James said he would buy it and boy am I glad he did.
I think that I'm going to help him pay for it.

Frank

hawk5ins
03-18-2007, 01:14 AM
Given Nady completely screwed up the scoring here for everyone......can I assume that without The missed knockdown that you would have had the bout even? Further showing what a lose bout this was.

Geez, it's like everyone needs to give TWO cards here: What it should have been and what it was after Nady put his incompetence stamp on it.

You are correct though, Idiocy aside, what a wonderful bout.

Wish it wasn't sullied in so many ways though.

Hawk

Crold1
03-18-2007, 01:31 AM
JMM might have been dropped, but that was after whipping MAB's ass all over the ring the rest of the round. The KD was nice, but JMM was on pace for a stand up 10-8 prior so all the KD did was make it an even round. Not to mention, JMM dominated down the stretch sweeping the last three clean. The scores were odd but understandable and I loved the fight, Anyone who saw that and Bell-Mormeck should slap themselves if they follow it with Boxing is dead.

ricky
03-18-2007, 01:43 AM
I can't see 118-110 but it was a very close fight with many close, hard to score rounds that could have gone either way. I myself had it 116-112 for Marquez. A great fight and a great night for boxing.
I can't say that the fight was sullied in any way, maybe Nady's reputation...but isn't that already pretty shitty? The knockdown would not have made a diffrence on my card or the judges but I do wish he would have just called it even with the point deduction and the knockdown. I hated hearing all the complaining during the fight.

Great fight, hope there is a rematch.

Dan Gunter
03-18-2007, 01:56 AM
Great fight. I could have gone with any result in this fight--except for a wide decision for either fighter. I can't figure out the scoring. But I also can't figure out why anyone ever paid any attention to Britney Spears, so what do I know?

KOJOE90
03-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Excellent fight with many close rounds I had it 115-112 for Marquez. If there is a rematch I hope Pacman gets to fight the winner.

But don't get me started on some of the judges scorings.

kikibalt
03-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Marquez pounds Barrera
He earns a unanimous decision to wrest WBC super-featherweight belt from countryman.
By Lance Pugmire, Times Staff Writer
March 18, 2007

LAS VEGAS — Confronted with a task more daunting than achieving history, Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday night took on Mexico's boxing legend Marco Antonio Barrera.

By continually beating the aged World Boxing Council super-featherweight champion to the punch in front of 8,127 at Mandalay Bay Events Center, Marquez not only claimed a unanimous decision and the world title, he and his super-bantamweight champion brother Rafael now stand as the first siblings to hold WBC belts simultaneously.

Marquez (47-3-1) won by scores of 116-111, 116-111 and 118-109, overwhelming his Mexican countryman with several rights that sent Barrera (63-5) reeling, and sometimes left the beaten champion flinching backward in anticipation of barrages.

Reasserting in the ring after the fight that the judges "gave us nothing, we earned everything," Marquez faced his most peril at the end of a classic seventh round.

He had Barrera in trouble by stunning him with three big right hands, then delivered another flurry that backed the fan favorite into the ropes. Marquez continued zapping Barrera with three consecutive lefts.

Barrera, having made a career of recovering from overwhelming situations in the ring, rallied in the round's final seconds with a stiff right cross that knocked down Marquez.

Barrera seized forward, smashing another right to the kneeling challenger's head.

However, referee Jay Nady ruled that Marquez had slipped and subtracted a point from Barrera for throwing the punch with Marquez down. A round that could've been awarded to Barrera by a 10-8 score instead was given to Marquez, 10-8.

Nady said after the fight that he made a bad decision.

"From where I was standing, I didn't see the [knockdown] punch land," Nady said. "I thought [Barrera] hit him with a shoulder."

Barrera, 33, said, "I'm a fighter. I see blood, I go after my fallen prey."

Marquez capped off his punishment with a string of big punches and impressive counterpunches to win the three final rounds on all three judges' cards.

With both fighters bleeding from one eyelid, the fight was capped in the 12th round by a crowd-raising flurry. Marquez got the best of it, ran to his corner and stood on the ropes, raising his arms.

Barrera reacted to the decision by shrugging his shoulders.

"Those were bad judges," Barrera said. "I won the fight, and I don't know what happened."

Said Marquez: "I was pressuring him every round, you saw it that way, and the judges saw it that way."

Barrera had planned to fight once more, perhaps a rematch. He said he was going on vacation with his family and would "decide what to do next."

Earlier, southpaw Daniel Ponce De Leon (31-1) retained his World Boxing Organization junior-featherweight title by throwing a steady barrage of combinations against challenger Gerry Penalosa of the Philippines, and scoring a unanimous decision, 119-109, 119-109 and 120-108.

Penalosa (51-6-2) hurt Ponce De Leon with counterpunches in the first half of the fight.

"I'm going to work on my defense," Ponce De Leon said.

Penalosa said he "thought I won that fight," but Ponce De Leon's attention to landing body blows in the early going and ability to remain active until the end impressed the judges, even though it was clear the champion lacked the power to notch his 29th knockout.

Judging also was an issue in the undercard, when junior welterweight Demetrius Hopkins remained unbeaten (26-0-1) with a unanimous decision over Steve Forbes, a former participant on the ESPN boxing reality show, "The Contender."

Forbes (32-5) out-punched Hopkins and landed 40 more power punches, according to ringside statistician CompuBox, and veteran boxing writers had him easily winning on their unofficial scorecards.

Yet, two judges awarded Hopkins victory by scores of 118-110, and another scored the fight 117-111 in favor of the nephew of former middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins. The majority of the crowd loudly booed the decision.

"I'm in shock," Forbes said. "I won the fight. I want an immediate rematch."

kikibalt
03-18-2007, 09:08 AM
http://i16.tinypic.com/451va1e.jpg

kikibalt
03-18-2007, 09:10 AM
http://i16.tinypic.com/4bszfpw.jpg

kikibalt
03-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Marquez takes title from Barrera
By Robert Morales Staff Writer

LAS VEGAS - Put two world-class Mexican fighters in the ring together, and a terrific fight almost is a certainty.

That was the case Saturday as Mexico City natives Juan Manuel Marquez and Marco Antonio Barrera squared off for Barrera's World Boxing Council super featherweight belt at Mandalay Bay.

In the performance of his career, Marquez took Barrera's belt with a unanimous decision in front of 8,127 spectators.

Marquez won by scores of 118-109, 116-111 and 116-111. This newspaper scored Marquez the winner, 116-111. Marquez and his younger brother Rafael are the first set of brothers to hold WBC belts at the same time. Rafael Marquez won the WBC super bantamweight belt on March 3 with a knockout of Israel Vazquez at Home Depot Center.

Barrera promised he was going to revert back to his old-school style of slugging it out rather than performing as the technician he had become in recent years. Barrera kept his promise and Marquez took full advantage.

In a bizarre seventh round, Marquez (47-3-1) was pummeling Barrera relentlessly and snapping

back his head with vicious punches. Near the end of the round, Barrera (63-5) somehow responded with a right that put Marquez down. But not only did referee Jay Nady rule that Marquez slipped, he deducted a point from Barrera for hitting Marquez when he was on the canvas.
"This is boxing," Barrera said. "We are Mexicans and this is our sport. I did the necessary things to win. They were bad judges. I won that fight and I don't know what happened."

Barrera couldn't believe what transpired in the seventh.

"He went down and the referee didn't touch me," Barrera said. A referee will immediately touch a fighter who has scored a knockdown to tell him to go to a neutral corner. "I threw a punch (when Marquez was down), but it never connected. He hit me four times below the belt and they never said anything."

Nady said he did not see Barrera land the punch that decked Marquez.

Barrera also got away with several fouls, such as punches to the back of the head. But the consensus feeling on press row was Marquez was every bit the deserving winner.

He now has won championships in the featherweight and super featherweight divisions

kikibalt
03-18-2007, 09:15 AM
http://i19.tinypic.com/3z6a0dt.jpg

kikibalt
03-18-2007, 09:17 AM
http://i19.tinypic.com/3yxq1yc.jpg

hagler04
03-18-2007, 12:04 PM
The missed KD call was bad, but since Marco was getting pasted before, and he clearly committed a clear Dempsey-like foul by hitting Marquez when he was down, the best it does for Marco was an even round. I had Marquez winning a hard fought but comfortable decision in a great fight. Best fight I've seen all year (I missed Mormeck-Bell but can't believe it was better than this). Barrera looked great early on but as I predicted faded down the stretch. Some of the rounds Lederman gave to Barrera made me scratch my head. . HBO's bias in terms of the scoring and announcing for Barrera is/was always frustrating (although here it wasn't as bad as in the 3rd Morales fight)

Outstanding tussle regardless. As always, the top featherweights (or junior lightweighs or whatever) display incredible action with a boatload of skill. The eventual withdrawal of Barrera, Morales, and Marquez in the next couple of years will be very, very sad.

kikibalt
03-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Marquez defeats Barrera for WBC 130-pound title

By ANDREW BAGNATO
Associated Press Sports
LAS VEGAS (AP) -Juan Manuel Marquez was floored by Marco Antonio Barrera.

Barrera was floored by the judges' decision.

Marquez unanimously outpointed Barrera, taking Barrera's WBC 130-pound belt Saturday night. Two judges scored it 116-111 for Marquez and the third gave it to him 118-109.

"I know in my heart I won tonight,'' Barrera said through a translator.

Marquez immediately offered him another shot.

"Barrera is a great champion,'' Marquez said through a translator. "He deserves a rematch.''

And if Barrera chooses not to accept, Marquez has another big-name opponent in mind.

"If not, Manny Pacquiao can be next,'' said Marquez, who fought Pacquiao to a draw in 2004.

The wild fight ended with both men bleeding - Barrera from his left eye and Marquez from his right - and raising their arms in victory. But Marquez was the winner on the cards.

"They were bad judges,'' Barrera said through a translator. "I won this fight and I don't know what happened. I did the necessary things to win.

"I don't know if they were judges of boxing,'' Barrera said. "They might have been judges of soccer.''

Marquez praised his fellow Mexican but dismissed Barrera's suggestion that the judges botched the decision.

"I don't feel anything was given to me,'' Marquez said. "They can say whatever they want. The judges scored this fight and they did it well.''

It wouldn't be boxing without a controversy.

Late in the seventh round, Barrera (63-5, 42 KOs) connected with a right to the chin that left Marquez (47-3-1, 35 KOs) crouched with one glove on the canvas. Television replays showed that it was a knockdown, but referee Jay Nady ruled it a slip.

Marquez conceded that he had been knocked down.

"He connected,'' Marquez said. "He got me right on the chin.''

When Barrera stepped in and swung at the crouching Marquez again, Nady subtracted a point from the champion. That meant Barrera lost the round 10-8 instead of winning it.

Barrera denied hitting Marquez when he was down.

"I don't know what the referee was doing at the time,'' said Barrera, who lost for the first time since his 2003 loss to Manny Pacquiao.

"I never connected,'' Barrera said. "I never threw the punch because I knew he was down. He hit me four times below the belt and I never said anything.''

Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, acknowledged that Barrera should have been credited with knocking Marquez down.

"Everybody sees there was a knockdown,'' Schaefer said. "That obviously was a bad call.''

Earlier in the round, Marquez stunned Barrera with a right to the head, then a left. But the champion weathered the attack.

The 33-year-old fighters came from neighboring towns in Mexico but had never met. It didn't take long for them to get acquainted.

Early in the second round, they went toe-to-toe in the center of the ring. That set the tone for the third round, when another furious exchange erupted.

Near the end of the fourth, Marquez knocked Barrera into the ropes, but the champion slipped away and landed a combination.

Heavy exchanges at the end of the fifth and sixth rounds brought the Mandalay Bay crowd to its feet.

Marquez, who moved up from 126 pounds, had said he would knock Barrera out - a prediction Barrera dismissed as "a dream.''

But according to CompuBox statistics, Marquez landed more heavy punches. Barrera connected on 262 punches, seven more than Marquez. But Marquez landed 197 power punches to Barrera's 146.

Barrera, who is winding down a superb career, said he had not decided what he'll do next. Asked if he wanted a rematch, Barrera shrugged.

"Right now, I just want to take a vacation,'' he said.

© 2007 The Associated Press.

GorDoom
03-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Marquez Out-hustles and Out-points Barrera in a Scorcher
By Doug Fischer from Max Boxing

LAS VEGAS, March 17th – By out-pointing boxing legend Marco Antonio Barrera, Juan Manuel Marquez finally reached the end of a long and winding road to respect, recognition and redemption. His journey was rife with setbacks and mismanagement but the unanimous decision victory that earned him the WBC 130-pound title made up for all of the mistakes and missed opportunities that until tonight had defined his career.

Marquez, who won the all-Mexico City showdown by scores of 118-109 and 116-111 (twice), had to get up from a seventh-round knockdown and a follow-up foul from Barrera that punctuated one of the more exciting rounds of the bout that often had the crowd of 8,127 in the Mandalay Bay’s Event Center up on the their feet and cheering to the top of their lungs.

Intense exchanges and the kind of well-timed power punches and combinations that only the most seasoned veterans can produce highlighted the junior lightweight title bout that erased the bad taste that the poor scoring from the two previous 12-round bouts on the HBO Pay-Per-View-televised card left in the mouths of the fans.

Now the fans’ mouths are watering for a rematch, and Marquez is happy to give Barrera, the most accomplished boxer from Mexico since Julio Cesar Chavez, an immediate crack at his old title.

“Barrera is a great champion,” Marquez, who improved to 47-3-1 (35), said after the fight. “He connected with a nice right hand to my chin [in the seventh round]. He deserves a rematch.”

The right hand that Marquez referred to landed right on the button just as he was winding up with a right hand of his own. The punch put Marquez down on all fours with seconds remaining a seventh round, but referee Jay Nady did not see the punch land and thus did not recognize the knockdown.

“From where I was standing I didn’t see the punch land,” Nady said. “I thought [Barrera] knocked him down with his shoulder.”

Nady did not miss the follow-up foul shot that Barrera landed to the top of Marquez’s head while he was still down. He immediately penalized Barrera one point, a point that he couldn’t afford to lose.

Although Barrera, now 63-5 (42), bravely stood his ground with Marquez in the eighth round, which produced one of the best rounds of action so far this year and tried his best to steal the late rounds with final second flurries, it was his equally skilled but lesser known countryman who initiated the majority of the exchanges, consistently beating him to the punch.

Marquez’s landed flashy lead left hooks, picture-perfect body shots, and right crosses that often rocked Barrera’s head back. Those right hands buckled Barrera’s legs at the start of the seventh round, and follow-up combinations forced the three-division champ into the ropes where he valiantly fought back, but also took more than his share of punishment.

It may be the reason why a frustrated Barrera lashed out at Marquez after dropping his antagonist at the end of the seventh, though the veteran denied any bad blood after the fight.

“This is boxing, we are Mexicans, this is a sport,” Barrera said. “I did the necessary things to win the fight. [In the seventh round] he went down and the referee didn’t touch me [to break up the fighters]. I never connected that punch. I never threw it because I knew he was down. He hit me four times below the belt and nothing was done about it.”

Marquez, whose face was reddened and bloody mask by the end of the fight, did more than land borderline body punches. He also landed a lot of jabs. It’s not often that Barrera finds himself in the ring with an opponent who can match his jab. It’s seldom that he finds himself in the ring with a fighter who can match his heart, either, but he found one in Marquez, whether or not the proud warrior is willing to admit that he lost the fight.

“They were bad judges,” Barrera said. “I won that fight.”

Barrera was right about tonight’s judges, but not the ones for his fight.

In the co-featured bout of the Golden Boy Promotions-promoted card, Daniel Ponce DeLeon retained his WBO 122-pound title with a surprisingly one-sided (on the scorecards) unanimous decision over former 115-pound titlist Gerry Penalosa. DeLeon, who improved to 31-1 (28), won by scores of 119-109 (twice) and 120-108.

The writers among press row saw a much closer bout. That could have gone either way. Those favoring DeLeon thought he was the busier fighter in a slight majority of the rounds. Those favoring Penalosa, now 51-6-2 (35), thought the Filipino veteran landed the cleaner and harder power punches to the title holder’s stationary head in the majority of the 12 rounds.

How veteran judge Dave Moretti scored all 12 rounds for DeLeon was beyond anyone sitting in the media section. The 119-109 scorecards of Chuck Giampa and Nelson Vazquez were equally head scratching. Vazquez only scored the second round for Penalosa. Giampa only scored the 11th for the 34 year old from the Philippines.

In reality, after DeLeon took the first round with stiff jab and hard left hand whacks to the right side of Penalosa’s body, the skilled Filipino southpaw teed off on the younger, stronger Mexican with well-timed counter right hooks and left crosses for the next six rounds. DeLeon did his best to impose his will on Penalosa, focusing almost exclusively on the body in the fourth round, but once he realized that the veteran could take his best shot he began to give up ground to the Filipino looking a bit bewildered as he tried to figure out a way to land a punch that would turn the tide.

DeLeon never found that one big punch to hurt or floor Penalosa, but he did land a lot of ugly jabs and wild body shots down the stretch that obviously impressed the judges and made the difference on the scorecards of many sitting among press row. While Penalosa took his foot off the gas pedal as he stalked the bigger man in the late rounds of the bout, DeLeon kept his hands moving non-stop at the same time he back pedaled away from the smaller man.

DeLeon threw a total of 1,399 punches in the bout, according to CompuBox, the third all-time total for a junior featherweight, and in the end that was what the official judges paid attention to.

In the opening bout of the HBO Pay-Per-View broadcast, Demetrius Hopkins improved to 26-0-1 (10) with a unanimous and dubious 12-round decision over former 130-pound titlist Steve Forbes. Hopkins, who won by inexplicable scores of 118-110 (twice) and 117-111, retained his USBA 140-pound title but lost the support of the crowd as soon as the scorecards were announced.

Bernard Hopkins, Demetrius’ uncle and a partner at Golden Boy Promotions, which promotes the young junior welterweight, used to strong-arm people for their gold chains and wallets on the streets of Philadelphia before he spent five years in prison, rehabilitated his life and went on to be on the greatest middleweight champions in history.

You can’t say that Hopkins’ “strong-armed” Forbes tonight because ‘the Contender: Season Two’ finalist easily out-muscled the younger, bigger Philadelphian on the inside for much of the bout, but the younger man definitely robbed the veteran with the help of judges Robert Hoyle, Glenn Trowbridge and Dalby Shirley.

Hoyle and Trowbridge only scored two rounds for Forbes. Shirley scored three for the former titleholder.

The media and the fans in attendance saw a much different fight, one that favored busier workrate and body attack of Forbes, whose record dropped to 32-5 (9).

After a pedestrian opening round, Forbes began to work his way past Hopkins’ long jab and get off with left hooks and body shots on the inside that forced the near 6-foot-tall prospect back on his heels. For much of the first half of the bout, Forbes forced the action and made Hopkins retreat. In the late rounds, Hopkins found a second wind and did his best to stand and trade with Forbes in the center of the ring, but these rounds seemed evenly contested at best.

One theory for the questionable official scoring is that up close to the action, Hopkins was landing the harder punches. From press row, and especially in the arena audience and to those watching on TV, neither fighter landed any significantly hard punches of note.

On the non-televised undercard, Golden Boy-Promoted bantamweight contender Diosdado Gabi looked impressive in blasting Colombia’s Antonio Cochero out in the second round of a scheduled 10. The Philippines’ Gabi, now 29-3-1 (21), shocked former champ Mauricio Pastrana with a first-round KO last year and looks to have bounced back from a stoppage loss to IBF flyweight titlist Vic Darchinyan. Cochero dropped to 17-5-1 (13)

California’s Sergio Espinosa upset Marco Antonio Barrera-managed prospect Juan Alberto Rosas via 10-round decision to improve to 14-2-1 (5). Rosas, of Tepic, Mexico, dropped to 25-2 (22)

Nacho Beristain-managed featherweight prospect Eduardo Escobedo improved to 19-2 (13) with third-round stoppage of fellow Mexican Edel Ruiz, who dropped to 28-17-4 (19).

Las Vegas-based junior welterweight prospect Anthony Martinez improved to 3-0 (3) by stopping Texas’ Jesus Villareal, now 1-1-1, in the second round. Martinez recently signed with Golden Boy Promotions.

In the opening bout of the evening, Golden Boy Promotion’s new heavyweight signee Ashanti Jordan, an amateur standout from Oakland, made a successful pro debut by stopping Texas’ Eric Molina, now 0-1, in the first round.

Todd
03-18-2007, 02:58 PM
I don't think it was a stand-up 10-8 before the knockdown, but I thought the point deduction was fair. Barrera has a history of throwing in the dirt, especially when he's getting beaten up.

And the no-knockdown call was unfortunate, but Barrera needs to remember that he arguably won the second Morales fight on a blown knockdown call by Jay Nady.

Mexal
03-18-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't think it was a stand-up 10-8 before the knockdown, but I thought the point deduction was fair. Barrera has a history of throwing in the dirt, especially when he's getting beaten up.

And the no-knockdown call was unfortunate, but Barrera needs to remember that he arguably won the second Morales fight on a blown knockdown call by Jay Nady.
You mean to say that Nady has screwed up before in big fights???

HE Grant
03-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Guys Barrera is shopworn and has been for a few years. Notice how he wanted no part of Paq rematch. The fact that he is still headling pay-per-view events is a mystery to me. I had no interest in this fight.

Boxing is dying beacuse a fight like this is pay-per-view when at best it should be boxing after dark. They are obviously catering to a Hispanic market, period. If they make $, good for all. However, it is simply a much smaller game.

Olympic Auditorium
03-18-2007, 04:28 PM
I had Marquez winning 116-112

ricky
03-18-2007, 05:21 PM
The fact that he is still headling pay-per-view events is a mystery to me. I had no interest in this fight.

Boxing is dying beacuse a fight like this is pay-per-view when at best it should be boxing after dark. They are obviously catering to a Hispanic market, period. If they make $, good for all. However, it is simply a much smaller game.

I disagree complelty. For one I do not belive boxing is "Dying" or willl ever die and I had no problem with this fight being on PPV. Both guys are top tier fighters and it was a great match-up. To say that they do not even belong on HBO world champinship boxing is offensive to these two great wariors.
The fight was about as good as you are going to get in boxing. If you love boxing these are the type of fights you dream about being made.

And I feel sorry for anyone that missed. Although they will get a chance to see the replay next week, only with out the great drama of the 7th round you can only get when seeing it for the first time. When you do not know what will happen next.

This was a true boxing fans fight, not a hispanic fans fight, period.

hawk5ins
03-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I saw a very tight affair, much in the same manner that Zevl did, with Marco winning by a point based on the screw up by Nady.

As far as the complaining about Nady's screw up, and it to me is more of an issue of Nady AGAIN screwing up rather than Barrera's getting hosed. And part of that has to do with the jusdges score cards making the 7th round irrelevant.

IF the cards were more in line with what at least I THOUGHT I saw, then this is an issue to bring up. But when one judge sees it as a 9 point bout and two others had it a 5 point affair, that 3 point swing means NOTHING.

TO ME, that is the issue here: The score cards. I'm a bit stunned that no one is making more of an issue about that. Agian, no issue with Marquez by a point or even 2 points (and this is WITH scoring as Nady ruled it). It was a close bout with many tough rounds to score. But 5 points of Rafael?

Guess I need to watch it yet agian (watched it live with the sound off and then agian later that night with the volume up.).

I rarely see eye to eye with Lederman, but his Card resembled mine very closely. I think we differed on 2 rounds early, essentially a reversal of who he tought won the 2nd and 4th rounds, but other than that, we were dead on.

Personally, I think the reason Barrera still IS a marquee draw, is because of bouts like last night. It was a corker. What is and is not PAY PER VIEW worthy today IS a problem. But this was IMO going in and obviously afterwards, a bout i was truly interested in. Whether Marco is still at the absolute top of his game or not (I say not). Marco's bouts still are fights to be seen.

Hawk

ricky
03-18-2007, 07:00 PM
I agree that barrera is not the same fighter that he once was. He's definalty showing signs of slowing down. But even with that he is always going to give great fights. I do not think he wins the rematch but it will still be a great fight that I will be very intrested in seeing. It should give Pacquiao a chance to clean up the legal mess he's made of his career, and hopefully it can be cleared up soon.
Marquez-Pac is the top fight to be made at 130 lbs.

Thomas44
03-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Just a point of interest is that Marquez is 4 1/2 months older than Barerra . Barerra is a bit more shop worn though with 69 bouts , Marquez has 51 bouts.

Barerra turned pro at 15 ! Marquez at 19 years of age.

Looking forward to seeing this bout and hopefully Mormeck - Bell one day.

DscribeDC
03-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Just to pile on, the scoring was ridiculous. Honestly, I think it was completely irrelevant, however. The fans knew they were seeing a great fight between two terrific champions and I doubt they gave much credence to the scoring. A rematch will be demanded, and justly.

It surprises me, that after all the wars, all the great fights he's been in, the judges still felt free to disrespect Barrera the way they did. Maybe because Barrera is talking retirement and Marquez is HBO's "next big thing"?

Todd
03-19-2007, 11:14 AM
From Doug Fischer's article today: "I thought 116-111 for Marquez was the right score and more than fair to Barrera. Dan Rafael of ESPN.com also scored it 116-111 for Marquez. Tim Smith of the New York Daily News scored it 117-111 for Marquez. Kevin Iole of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Steve Kim, and Ken Miller of the Los Angeles Sentinel all scored it 118-109 for Marquez."

hagler04
03-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Just to pile on, the scoring was ridiculous. Honestly, I think it was completely irrelevant, however. The fans knew they were seeing a great fight between two terrific champions and I doubt they gave much credence to the scoring. A rematch will be demanded, and justly.

It surprises me, that after all the wars, all the great fights he's been in, the judges still felt free to disrespect Barrera the way they did. Maybe because Barrera is talking retirement and Marquez is HBO's "next big thing"?

No way. HBO's bias during the commentating for Barrera was apparent as it always was. They had no desire to pump up Marquez as a 'new star,' especially since they were complaining about the missed KD for half the fight while Lampley said the point deduction for the flagrant fout was a BAD CALL until finally Steward called him out on it (but it still wasn't acknowledged)

The worst was during the Barrera-Morales rubbermatch, a fight I scored dead even. Listening to the commentating you would've thought it was a Barrera white-wash.

Lederman's scoring in some rounds was just not accurate. I can see how some say it was close but I don't see a Barrera victory in this at all.

hawk5ins
03-19-2007, 12:19 PM
I was not drunk when i watched this fight.

I did not have the volume up during this fight so I was not influenced by Lamps et al and didn't here his drivel until I rewatched it.

I scored the round BEFORE Lederman's card was presented.

I had Marco winning by a Point.

Had the Knockdown been correctly applied, I would have had Marco the winner by a greater margin.

Maybe I ought to Start drinking.

Hawk

Zevl
03-19-2007, 12:29 PM
I was not drunk when i watched this fight.

I did not have the volume up during this fight so I was not influenced by Lamps et al and didn't here his drivel until I rewatched it.

I scored the round BEFORE Lederman's card was presented.

I had Marco winning by a Point.

Had the Knockdown been correctly applied, I would have had Marco the winner by a greater margin.

Maybe I ought to Start drinking.

Hawk

If you go over my scoring of the fight during the round-by-round, I had it exactly the same score as hawk5ins. That was the way I saw it, however I did see many of the rounds as being extremely close, and could have just as easily scored it for Marquez by 2-3 rounds. I don't have a problem with Marquez' win as much as I do the lopsided scoring (especially by the one official). Either way, both fighters gave a great fight and deserve credit for putting it on the line.

DscribeDC
03-19-2007, 12:33 PM
I suspect the vast majority saw it much closer than 118-109 and will eagerly anticipate a rematch.

hawk5ins
03-19-2007, 01:00 PM
I agree with both of you and all of your points here.

Frank's scorecard had Marquez winning by two points. I have ZERO issue with that card. The rounds were close. A couple of points either way, I have no issue with.

But I must ask: Are you two drunk?

I'm just checking.

Thanks.

Hawk

HE Grant
03-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Barrera's going to keep getting HBO dates till he's carried out like Morales. That would be now if he were fighting Paq instead of careful match ups like Marquez who is his age, an excellent point.

Boxing has become more of a niche than ever and HBO is smart enough to realize it and capitalize on that market. Nothing wrong with it.

doomeddisciple
03-19-2007, 08:15 PM
I think it's interesting that given poor officiating in two of the fights on this card - The judges in the Hops fight and the Nady stuff up - Yet some internet scribes such as maxboxing are implying its good to be the nephew of the partner in the promotion company so you can get a "w" - Yet the same promotion company can do nothing for one of their actual partners in Barerra?

Weird.

10i01
03-19-2007, 11:39 PM
I felt Barrera won most of the exhanges, except in the later rounds. Somehow I feel Marquez won the fight though. I did not score it.

Marco is a fuckface. He is as blatant as the devil. What a crooked man. I am glad he lost, eventhough I like him as a fighter.

:mad:

TKO Tom
03-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I had Marquez winning by a score of 114-113.

JMM seemed like the hungrier guy and was pushing more. He landed, well they both landed, a lot of nice little, subtle shots on the inside. Barrera ran out of gas late.

You really, really, really had to be paying attention to catch the subtle stuff both guys were landing on the inside.

I scored the 7th round 9-9. Marquez won the entire round except for the knockdown in the last few seconds. I would have scored it 10-9 for Barrera with the knockdown and not 10-8.

Except for the one punch that caused the knockdown Barrera lost 99% of the 7th round. Because of the knockdown, I would have scored it for Barrera 10-9. But with the Nady point deduction I had it 9-9, or an even round.

TKS

StingerKarl
03-25-2007, 09:21 PM
I was hoping Ron Lipton could ptich in here as I sure respect his opinion more than the folks previously mentioned here.
I thought Barrera won the fight by a couple of points.
Karl

Chuck1052
03-25-2007, 10:48 PM
In the bout between Juan Manuel Marquez and Marco Antonio
Barrera, there were a lot of close rounds. Under such
circumstances, it is very possible Marquez or Barrera CAN win
the decision by a lopsided score even if the judges are absolutely
fair. This is especially true if the judges felt that one of the
fighters had the edge in all of the close rounds.

I feel that the scoring would be much more fair if more close
rounds are marked as "even." Of course, many people feel
that judges should not score a lot of rounds as "even" despite
the fact that they were very close.

- Chuck Johnston

hawk5ins
03-26-2007, 07:42 AM
I have NO ISSUE with your breakdown about how a fight with several close rounds can turn out lopsided.

Where I a having issues with writers such as Doug Fischer and Steve Kim (To take just two), is that they had Marquez big, but describe the bout as pretty one sided. They have gone out of their way to defend the judges score cards becuase they fell in line with their own.

What I find funny, is that they initially state that the bout was a scorcher and then spend the rest of the article stating how one sided it was.

Fischer had his card 8-4 for Marquez, but stated that there were two rounds he gave to Marco that were close and COULD have gone to Juan Manuel.

So I asked the obvious question of him: Doug, did you NOT also have close rounds for Marquez that you could see going the other way, or was every round you scored for Marquez, clear cut.

Of course I recieved no response to this question. He was far too intent in making a single point here and had zero interest in looking at this from either the other side or from the vantage point that you broke it down with Chuck.

I have no problem with defending your own scorecard. But don't present a single side and don't act all put out when one questions you with straight forward questions.

I had it for Marco by a point. I can see why someone would have it for Marquez closely as well. I UNDERSTAND how one could come up with a scorecard one sided in either direction given how many orunds were indeed close, but I would disagree with them.

Hawk

StingerKarl
03-26-2007, 07:53 AM
I have NO ISSUE with your breakdown about how a fight with several close rounds can turn out lopsided.

Where I a having issues with writers such as Doug Fischer and Steve Kim (To take just two), is that they had Marquez big, but describe the bout as pretty one sided. They have gone out of their way to defend the judges score cards becuase they fell in line with their own.

What I find funny, is that they initially state that the bout was a scorcher and then spend the rest of the article stating how one sided it was.

Fischer had his card 8-4 for Marquez, but stated that there were two rounds he gave to Marco that were close and COULD have gone to Juan Manuel.

So I asked the obvious question of him: Doug, did you NOT also have close rounds for Marquez that you could see going the other way, or was every round you scored for Marquez, clear cut.

Of course I recieved no response to this question. He was far too intent in making a single point here and had zero interest in looking at this from either the other side or from the vantage point that you broke it down with Chuck.

I have no problem with defending your own scorecard. But don't present a single side and don't act all put out when one questions you with straight forward questions.

I had it for Marco by a point. I can see why someone would have it for Marquez closely as well. I UNDERSTAND how one could come up with a scorecard one sided in either direction given how many orunds were indeed close, but I would disagree with them.

Hawk

I go to that site to check out the news wire they have a couple of times a week, but I don't take their writers' opinions on anything seriously, and very seldom read their columns at all.

hawk5ins
03-26-2007, 08:05 AM
I pretty much fall in that category as well.

What picqued my interest with them as it pertained to the bout in question here, was Fischer's displaying other scorecards of other writers. Supposedly as evidence to back up His and the judges cards.

So given that, I thought I'd "bother" to "bother" him with what I thought was a pretty unthreatening question, Certainly far less acidic then those he entertains in his Mailbag.

I dunno. Maybe he felt that if he answered it honestly, it would chip away at his steadfast position. Who knows?

Hawk

Todd
03-26-2007, 11:48 AM
I think Fischer's analysis/scoring of a fight is often nothing more than an exercise in strengthening his prefight prediction. I can't recall the last time he scored a fight for the opposite guy he picked, when the fight was close. I'm pretty sure he picked Paulie Ayala over Erik Morales, then scored the fight a draw.

Roberto Aqui
08-21-2007, 11:23 AM
I had Marquez winning by a score of 114-113.

JMM seemed like the hungrier guy and was pushing more. He landed, well they both landed, a lot of nice little, subtle shots on the inside. Barrera ran out of gas late.

You really, really, really had to be paying attention to catch the subtle stuff both guys were landing on the inside.

I scored the 7th round 9-9. Marquez won the entire round except for the knockdown in the last few seconds. I would have scored it 10-9 for Barrera with the knockdown and not 10-8.

Except for the one punch that caused the knockdown Barrera lost 99% of the 7th round. Because of the knockdown, I would have scored it for Barrera 10-9. But with the Nady point deduction I had it 9-9, or an even round.

TKS

Finally got around to review this, and the fight was horrible on a number of fronts except for the ring action.

Both fighters did about as well as they could against each other. Marquez appeared to be slightly stronger down the stretch, but couldn't use it effectively against the sharp and cagey Barrera. Excellent fight for purists, and not bad for thrill seekers.

IE: the 7th round, I'm not sure what else Barrera could've done to take away Marquez' best round of the fight short of a KO. He countered beautifully and set up the aggressive Marquez who walked straight into the right hand. Nady towers over the action and lets Marquez just sit stooped over holding himself up with his gloves trying to shake the cobbwebbs so he can rise with Barrera standing over him waiting. No Nady, so Barrera says "what the hell," and gives him the little KD push hook to keel him over. Now Nady gets his jiggy rump in gear and makes a big show over the point deduction, when in fact it was Nady's inattention and incompetence that led to the infraction.

Then you got Lampley trying to make a big deal over any temporary advantage one had over the other and the really bad judging. Then even ol' half blind Larry could see Marquez was KDed, but not the "best trainer in boxing" Steward who not surprisingly anymore misses a lot of action in fights.

I had a 3-4 point win for Barrera, the major difference being that most rounds were close, but I noticed he would usually take the end of the round convincingly with either a nice counter flurry, sharp boxing and movement, and a little brawling action that also moved Marquez in reverse. I scored the 7th 10-8 because of the no KD/point deduction against Barrera.

I think Barrera has a good chance against Paq. He won't stand up to the big homerun shot, but he can make it closer this time around and if he makes the distance in as good shape as this Marquez bout, could swing the decision. I'll still pick Manny by KO, but Barrera still has plenty of game to pull an upset.

Manny would KO Marquez today. Team Marquez already made it clear they haven't wanted that fight. We'll see what develops.

Jayre
09-14-2007, 09:22 AM
asd