PDA

View Full Version : JOHNSON-TARVER CARD RESULTS & DISCUSSION 6/18/05

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Per usual I will post updates if warranted & the results immediately upon the conclusion of each bout. Please keep all discussion of these bouts to this thread.

Redundant threads will be deleted.

GorDoom

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 09:19 PM
In the first round Ike Quartey & Verno Phillips engaged in a scrappy round that Veno took with his work rate. He hurt Ike once with a shot to the body early & stopped him in his tracks late with a hard left hook upstairs.

Ike looks definitely slowere than he used to - & he never was exactly a speed demon.

GorDoom

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 09:23 PM
In the 2nd Verno again took the round huting Quartey & rocking him with a right toward the end of the round.

GorDoom

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Ike picked up his pace a bit & edged the 3rd despite getting stunned again by one of Verno's left hooks.

GorDoom

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 09:37 PM
After 5., Ike has really surprised me by sweeping the last 3 from Verno. His work rate has dropped dramatically since the 2nd.

GorDoom

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Ike has now swept the last 5 rounds & it's apparently his fight as he's now leading 5-2 in rounds. He's slower than he used to be but I have to say I'm very surprised that he looks as good as he does.

Verno's been running on empty since the 3rd ... He's gassed.

GorDoom

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 09:51 PM
With about a minute left in the 8th Verno, out of nowhere slammed Ike with a thudding left hook & knocked him flat on his back. He was too gassed & wild to take advantage because Ike came back strongly in the last 30 seconds.

GorDoom

Todd Hodgson
06-18-2005, 09:59 PM
I had Quartey winning 95-94, as did a couple of the judges.

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Quartey hammers him late in the 10th & wins by UD. scores:95-94 twice & 96=93 which is more like I had it.

A Tip O' The Fedora to Ike "Bazzoka" Quartey.

He earned it.

GorDoom

diggity1
06-18-2005, 10:19 PM
The fight was completely unimpressive to me.
Quartey will get KOd by anybody better IMO.

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Tarver & Johnson engaged in a VERY cautious, center ring, 1st. Tarver may have barely edged the round but neither one really did anything.

GorDoom

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 10:30 PM
After 3 I've got Tarver ahead by 3 but they've all been close. Johnson looks slow & is not swarming as in the past. Staying on the outside where Tarver is dangerous.

GorDoom

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 10:38 PM
In the 4th Tarver landed effective through the first 2 minutes & slowed perciptly in the last one but he won the round going away. Glen has seemingly abandonded his swarming brawling style & it's not working.

Unless he's playing possum.

But I think that maybe like Tszyu, we're watching a guy get old before oue eyes.

GorDoom

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Johnson picked up his work rate & Tarver appears tired from his work rate & took the round off. Glen finally wins a round. But it took him 5 to do it.

GorDoom

diggity1
06-18-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry but Tarver is just throwin pitty pat shit, Johnson is the one who is throwing the real shots. I hope Glen does not get robbed here, I'm sure he will.

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Despite a good flurry Tarver again took the round. After 6 rounds Johnson has thrown a 100 less punched than at that point in the 1st fight.

GorDoom

Ronald Lipton
06-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Please keep it coming, we are reading every word here and cannot see the fight.

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 11:02 PM
After 10 I've got it 10-2-1 Tarver & I was rooting for Glen.He just dosen't look like the same fighter who overwhelmed Jones & beat Tarver last year.

GorDoom

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Johnson sums up his reserves & fight's more like the guy we've seen in his last 2 fights & decisvely takes the 11th. In my view he needs a KO to win.

& Dig, those pitty-patts habe sure lumped up Glen's face.

GorDoom

GorDoom
06-18-2005, 11:12 PM
It turned into a genuine slog in the late rounds Tarver won by Ud. Scores116-112 twice. & 115-113. I din't have it that close.

Decent but not great fight

GorDoom

Todd Hodgson
06-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Both guys were throwing a lot of pitty-pat stuff. I had it 6-4-2 for Tarver. Neither guy did anything but clinch in the last round. Disappointing fight in my opinion. Lots of forced drama by the commentators (and that's their job), and I don't really care about seeing another fight between these two.

HEGrant
06-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Tarver is the better fighter and won a tough but clean decision. However, Johnson was no journeyman as he hung tough, won a few late rounds and shook up Tarver in the 11th. Both guys showing their age. End result is that Tarver is very tough but not as good as he thinks he is.

GorDoom
06-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Re: Gatti-Floyd. In my view this is a complete mismatch. Floyd is going to pluck & carve him like a turkey. Gatti has been shot since the Ivan Robinson fights in the 90's. Oscar damned near killed him afterward.

Since then he's been matched brilliantly to a bogus title as Floyd said.

Yes, Floyd is an asshole & has all the sublty (sp?) of a suicide bomber. I can't stand him myself but there is no denying that at this point he's the @#1 P4P fighter.

He's in his prime.

Gatti couldn't even talk tonight. He was slurring badly. His future is going to be walking on his heels.

Don't get me wrong. Gatti has given me more thrills than probably any other active fighter ... But he's done & has been done for years.

Last point: While the trash that Floyd spewed was noxious - I have to admit, what he said was the truth.

GorDoom

rightleft
06-19-2005, 02:19 AM
These two fights reminded me of two sparring matches outside of a couple of exciting moments. I had Quartey by one point but both guys looked bad I thought. Tarver-Johnson was just plain boring. I felt Tarver edged the first fight but this time he pretty much made Johnson look like the journeyman he is.

Chuck1052
06-19-2005, 02:19 AM
Yes, Tarver-Johnson II was a decent fight and
so was the Quartey-Phillips bout. Hats off to
HBO for two good boxing shows in a row.

- Chuck Johnston

dnahar
06-19-2005, 02:27 AM
...And both of these shows involved fighters HBO doesn't have exclusive contracts with and are thus forced to fight quality opponents. They should stop signing fighters to those exclusive contracts like Showtime already has.

BDeskins
06-19-2005, 02:30 AM
Nothing special! Tell me, does anyone else just want to see Mayweather get caught with a big bomb that puts him out for about five minutes, nothing lasting, but five minutes of unconciousness?

Todd Hodgson
06-19-2005, 02:32 AM
Barry:

I would give the contents of my Roth IRA for that!

GorDoom
06-19-2005, 03:20 AM
Tarver wins IBO title with victory over Johnson

By WOODY BAIRD

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - Antonio Tarver won the IBO light heavyweight title Saturday night, unanimously outpointing Glen Johnson to avenge a split decision six months ago.

Tarver had winning scores of 116-112 on two cards and 115-113 on the third.

Tarver came out punching in flurries and continued through the 12 rounds. He threw 851 punches, landing 218, while Johnson fired 564 times and hit 149.

By the 10th round, the rapid punching drew cheers of ``Tarver! Tarver! Tarver!''

Tarver, 23-3 with 18 knockouts, also sought to take advantage of his longer reach, while Johnson, 42-10-2 with 28 knockouts, steadily tried to press inside.

Johnson of Miami and Tarver of Tampa, the only two fighters to knock out former three-time world champion Roy Jones, fought in Las Vegas in December, with Johnson taking a split decision.

Tarver argued he was robbed, even though Johnson was the aggressor through out the 12-round fight. Two judges scored the Las Vegas fight 115-113 for Johnson, while the third gave it to Tarver, 116-112.

Jones, who had lost only once in 50 previous fights, sustained the two knockouts last year. Tarver floored him in the second round in May in Las Vegas, and Johnson scored his knockout in the ninth round in September in Memphis.

Jones was an HBO commentator for the Memphis and Las Vegas fights.

Tarver lost to Jones in a 12-round decision in November, 2003.

Johnson, a native of Jamaica who started boxing at 20 and turned professional the next year, was a virtual unknown until beating Jones to keep the IBF title.

Tarver, a former WBC and IBF light heavyweight champ, won an Olympic bronze medal in 1996.

At 6-foot-2 1/2, Tarver, a southpaw, had a 4-inch height advantage over Johnson. Both fighters are 36. Johnson weighed in at 173 pounds and Tarver at 173 1/2.

For their December fight, Tarver gave up the WBC title and Johnson surrendered the IBF crown.

Andre Ward of Oakland, Calif., an Olympic gold medalist last year, improved his professional record to 4-0 with a technical knockout of Ben Aragon of Albuquerque, N.M., 4-4-1, in the third round of a scheduled six-round middleweight bout.

Former WBA welterweight champion Ike Quartey of Ghana, 36-2-1, took an unanimous decision over former IBF and WBO junior middleweight champ Verno Phillips of Denver, 38-11-1, in a 10-round junior middleweight fight.

06/19/05 00:28 EDT

BDeskins
06-19-2005, 03:23 AM
Gatti's speech is getting pretty bad. I noticed when he was mentioning Mayweather's chin he twice said shin, which was such an obvious slur I felt somehwhat sorry for him. I hope that he doesn't take a beating like I'm expecting and I know that it is reaching, but there is always a chance that Gatti can land a bomb!

timayres
06-19-2005, 03:39 AM
HHmmmm...yeah, Gatti is way overmatched on talent in this one, but yeah the interview gave me a fantasy of Floyd getting nailed. And it is very unlikely. Nice to dream though.

However he got to where he is, respect forever for Gatti for all the great thrills he's given, he deserves whatever money he can get, he's a bit of an icon to the true warrior side of the sport, what separates it from all the other sports that claim the same drama we know ours can only deliver.

Perhaps Floyd doing that laying on the ropes thing and gets hit to the body? I'm dreaming again, I know....

Roberto Aqui
06-19-2005, 03:41 AM
Oddly enough the two big bouts tonight had the fighters on queer street winning the bout.

Quartey lucked out a win over a poorly conditioned Phillips who was fagged out early in the fight yet still had Quartey on the corner of queer street and sleepytime rd at the 9th.

What jab? Bazooka was a pea shooter.

I had Johnson winning big over Tarver the first fight and Johnson had Tarver on queer street at the end of that fight.

Tonight Johnson had Tarver on queer street at the end of the fight again, but overall Tarver showed a much higher work rate punch stats be damned. Those were some nice combos Tarver threw and he also used the ring and fought effectively in reverse. Johnson is obviously the stronger more durable man but lacked the work rate and intensity of the first fight.

Good call by the judges and great sportsmanship by Tarver and Johnson. The first and last rounds were disappointing, but it was a good scrap over all.

StingerKarl
06-19-2005, 03:52 AM
Antonio won pretty much as I thought he would.
Ike had to work for that one

timayres
06-19-2005, 03:55 AM
I thought Tarver working his hands in flurries early kept Johnson from setting himself for attack much of the time, a good move.

Oh yeah, the other thing- Roy Jones claiming he is contemplating a comeback because people want him back so much...he tried to help by putting out a DVD...not good enough....people want him back so baaad...doesn't want any of Tarver or Johnson, but maybe Hopkins. Jim tried to start the hype at that point.

I just want to say...
Roy- don't come back, I don't need you to, unless you want to see if you can get knocked out by all your rivals, which is possible. Don't bother. Put out another DVD or something.

Ronald Lipton
06-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Everything Gor-Doom said right on the money as to Gatti and Mayweather. I would agree with BDeskins on this one, that would be great to see and much deserved!

kikibalt
06-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Gor
Quartey was just the better school fighter ,Phillipe would jump in with his punches an if he missed he would get off balance

Frank .B

kikibalt
06-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Gor
This fight was so lousy i tuned the t.v off about the 7 or 8 rd. an went to sleep

Frank B.

theironbar
06-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Good point!

I shouldn't be nitpicking when we're talking about the decrease in someone's faculties... the remark was more directed at BDeskins' statement regarding "shin" vs. "chin" in Gatti's accented speech... I thought of the Simpsons episode "You Only Move Twice" when Bart is put in a remedial class and asks a kid what he's there for, "I moved here from Canada, and they think I am a little slow, eh?"

GorDoom
06-19-2005, 03:22 PM
That was funny, IB! But I guess I've been around the game for to many decades to be able to shrug off something like that. I've been involved in boxing since I started working for my old man in corners in Mexico when I was seven years old.

I'm 55 now.

I can't countenance the detrioration of a fighter's faculties.

These day I work for Tom Smario in the Northwest. He's the best cutman/chief 2nd, I've ever worked with. Just last week we did corners for an imported fighter that lost a fight he would have won a few years back.

He's a smart guy & owns several business' in his small home town but he's 39 & has been losing the majority of his fights lately. Now, this guy is in good shape, unscarred & with his faculties intact.

Tom broached the subject & the three of us honestly expressed our views. At the end of the discussion he agreed to retire. Then I bought him a drink.

This was only the 2nd time Tom & I had worked with him over a six month stretch. We have no investment financial or personal in the guy. But Both Tom & I feel a responsibility for EVERY fighter.

Whether we know him well or not.

& that's my point. Fighters like Gatti & Holyfield are so long past their expiration dates, it isn't funny. Somebody should explain the facts of their after boxing life.

Money ain't worth shit without your health & well being.

GorDoom

theironbar
06-19-2005, 04:29 PM
I scored a very generous draw for Johnson... 5-5 and two even -- that first round -- what the hell was that? It got better, but the fight was no classic (nonetheless, HBO overreacting is still miles better than Corporal Punishment Bob Sheridan)... I scored the Quartey fight for the man from Ghana by 1 point...

Regarding Gatti, you gents may be right about the slurring of speech, but his first language isn't English -- I think he's half French-Canadian and grew up speaking French in Montreal, eh?

GorDoom
06-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Slurred speech is slurred speach no matter what language you're speaking in.

GorDoom

ShawnTheBleeder
06-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Well put, Gor. Unfortunately Team Gatti has been working for this PPV show for some time now. All the softies were handled because they knew they'd have to pay at the end of the road, which is this fight with Mayweather.

Expect "Thanks, Arturo" balloons to fall from the ceiling after he makes his in-ring retirement speech to a montage of his most famous comeback victories.
------------

As for the fight card. Two exciting rounds out of 22. Johnson looked like he was running in slow motion. We'll be calling him "mini-Evander" if he's fighting in a year... the mileage has caught up to the Road Warrior, I believe.

Tarver's lucky he summoned the energy to finish. His poker face was good, I thought he was severely gassed at times.

The announcing was laughable. At one point Johnson threw ONE PUNCH after 30 seconds of nothing, and Lampley screamed, "JOHNSON.... THE STRONG AND STEADY FIGHTER!!!!! TARVER.... THE TALENTED BOXER!!!!!!"

And Verno's team was asinine for telling him to coast the 10th round of the 9th round knockdown. Losing the last round to a fighter he floored 2 minutes earlier cost him the decision by one point. His position as Gatekeeper to the Top 10 is now solidified.
Shawn

BDeskins
06-19-2005, 08:19 PM
I certainly wasn't making fun of the way someone talks because in the past I have heard Gatti say chin more plain than I do, but him saying "shin" last night was not a matter of dialect, it was the result of taking way too many punches and I hate to see it because Gatti has been one of my favorites ever since I watched him destroy Pete Taliaferro on Tuesday Night Fights. Right now I think Gatti is boxing as good as he ever has, but a lot of that does have to do with matching. I came down a little to reality of the Leija fight because I was a ctually looking at Gatti like he may have chance, but Leija landed way too many clean punches on Gatti and I really don't want to see what Mayweather will do. As much as I cannot stand Mayweather, he is at the very top of the sport and he is going to be hitting Gatti faster and with better accuracy than anyone Gatti has ever faced and while I'm still hoping for a lucky bomb to land, I really don't expect it! Like Gor stated about being around boxing so long it's hard to ignore obvious signs of a fighters deterioration. I've only followed boxing closely for around 20 years, but in that time I have seen many of my favorites end up in bad shape due to the brawls they endured, a lot of which were unnecessary, but that's boxing!

StingerKarl
06-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Bucket is corrrect:
This is a complete and absolute mismatch.
I for one am not going to pluck down hard earned bucks for this wipeout.
It is time for Gatti to pay the piper and pay he will with his blood.
Floyd TKO 8.
Karl

Roberto Aqui
06-19-2005, 11:39 PM
While I agree Gatti is falling within the range of his expiration date, anyone ever consider that Gatti had a few days off and a few too many drinks ala Larry Merchant before the broadcast began? A Saint he is not.

Dreaderick Tatum
06-20-2005, 12:09 AM
I was surprised that Quartay was as fit and sharp as he was, and also surprised that Verno was in such said shape. Trained in Colorado? Did he forget to do his roadwork?

At any rate, was that second KD the ref ruled a slip legit? If so, that fight goes from a UD to an MD draw. And if Philips had bothered to throw a punch in the 10th it might have been more interesting.

I think Quartay has very little shot against the likes of Ouma if that fight is made. Ouma is busy, and Phillips won rounds handily when he threw punches. Plus, Ouma being a lefty could seriously limit the effectiveness of Quartay's jab, which seems to be his game.

As for Tarver-Johnson, pretty intense for a few rounds and that was that. I wonder if Lampley and company were trying to convince themselves that a third fight is a good idea. I think Johnson should head to Europe to try to get some of the belts back, and perhaps Tarver could take on Byrd or Mormeck or Toney or someone who might get him a modest payday.

Gatti-Mayweather... I suppose my thinking on the fight is Gatti could beat him if he can manage to turn it into a brawl when he still has something in the tank. Perhaps he watched Hatton-Tszyu to see how it's done. That undercard is not particularly interesting.

AEP2
06-20-2005, 12:29 AM
I differ with some on this board. I thought both fights were good entertaining bouts though nothing special. I left the television satisfied, as if I ate a good meal.

It's obvious Quartey is not the fighter who left the game five years ago. His trademark piston jab just wasn't there. Overall his punches didn't seem as crisp as they were in his height. He also showed vulnerability in his chin - something that started to show up in the Lopez and de la Hoya fights. I don't believe Quartey has much chance against an Ouma or Wright.

The Tarver-Johnson fight was two guys giving their best, though neither fighter is a great one. It was a back-and-forth battle that didn't lack for action. I believe the third round was the best round of boxing I've ever seen Tarver fight. He moved and punched very well. For a moment, he left behind his lack of self-confidence and performed brillantly. However, Tarver tired and this allowed Johnson back into the fight. Johnson tried his best and you have to admire a guy for doing that. He pressured Tarver but Johnson is so limited as a fighter that Tarver just outclassed him in the final rounds. I thought the official scores were about right. I scored it 116-113 for Tarver.

Darkknight718
06-20-2005, 02:00 PM
I thought both fights were moderately entertaining, particularly the Quartey-Phillips bout. Nothing fancy, just two guys with still pretty decent skills and a lot of will. I thought Quartey was done after getting knocked down towards the end. That was a great shot.

Tarver-Johnson went, alas, the way many here said it would, with Tarver just a little bit too much for Johnson. But only by a little bit. Neither of them is really a world-beater, and the fight was there to be had by either of them just about all the way through.

I'd hesitate before engaging in an armchair diagnosis of Gatti's faculties. I noticed the slight slurring during the interview, as well, and he seemed generally kind of unfocused throughout that segment. But Gatti's had plenty of press coverage in recent years, and I'd never heard a trace of that before. Maybe it is that he's starting to feel the effects of too many poundings, but the first thing that popped into my mind was that he'd knocked a few back before the show.

I'm rooting for Gatti against Mayweather. I don't think he'll win -- Mayweather is just too fast -- but damn, it would be sweet for someone to knock that guy down a peg. I had to laugh at Mayweather's anger that Gatti had actually mentioned Mayweather's legal troubles in the build-up to the fight. He acted all pissed off, as though it were out of bounds to bring up someone's personal life when that personal life threatens to wreck a fight. As I recall, though, Mayweather wouldn't shut up about Corrales' own legal troubles (battery of his pregnant wife, I think) before they fought. The guy is just an irritating, obnoxious, arrogant little prick. And, unfortunately, probably the p4p best in the game today . . .

HEGrant
06-20-2005, 04:31 PM
I think Mayweather will beat on him like Salvador Sanchez did to Little Red Lopez, maybe worse. However, wouldn't it be amazing if Gatti did connect on a Hail Mary ? The longest of shots but in boxing you never know....All my instincts tell me it will be a mismatch. The only thing that keeps me from feeling bad for Gatti is the fact that he's getting paid $ 4,000,000 . It's hard to feel bad when he's making that kind of loot ! He'll be a few bucks richer than Old Gor !

Prairie Man
06-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Gatti's been slurring his words for a couple years now. In every fight Gatti forgets to raise his hands and stands still leaning forward with his chin out, it's weird he simply freezes in place for about 3 seconds giving his opponent at least two free shots before he decides to move. Mayweather is going to make Gatti look old, I expect the fight will be stopped by about round 8.

diggity1
06-20-2005, 10:51 PM
At the end of the night, I certainly felt like I saw a bunch of 35+ year old fighters duking it out. Color me slightly unimpressed. I can't help but feel Tarver & Johnson helped create a huge absence in boxing by showing RJJ the door but filled it back with very little.

Tarver was certainly the winner of the fight but Johnson looked sluggish from the get-go and appeared tired early while the HBO cheerleaders rewarded Tarver for any area of the glove that happened to tap Johnson. Much of what I saw until I drank myself into a boredom induced blackout was Tarver opted for arm punching rather than "none at all" to fill the voids of the fight this time around, occasionally mixing in a shot or 2 with bad intentions to keep Johnson honest but never convincing me he was all that energetic himself. These guys both gutted out a tough fight but I couldn't help but think how Briggs or Adamek would make them look. Neither Tarver or Johnson have really taken on a fresh young fighter in some time (hasn't been a whole lot around but you get the point).

Tarver had a great plan for Johnson but it was disappointly no reflection of the big game he talks. Johnson easily landed the more telling blows of the night, ripping the body with authority & visibly hurting Tarver at times but just not with the frequency he needed to get rounds. Johnson does not have the legs or agility to fight the mobile fight that Tarver kept him on a leash with all night. I never thought Johnson was in any real danger all night, which is not what I would like to see against a big fighter like Tarver.

I feel like Tarver has a real identity problem in his style. This is not to say he is not a talented fighter but he has been blessed with other genetic gifts that he does not take advantage of as he should IMO. It's kind of like watching Vitaly Klit trying to shoe shine & counter punch all night, it just don't fit. Tarver is a big lt heavy with a good jab, decent right hook and powerful straight left, all the tools a southpaw needs to cause tons of fits if he stays aggressive and cuts the ring off. Instead he elects to fight with speed & be cute while exhausting himself and never truly stepping into his shots. Maybe its a self-preservation thing but to me it's like having a Hummer & never taking it off-roading.

HBO can keep the rubber match between these 2 old foges.

StingerKarl
06-20-2005, 11:33 PM
To be honest with you guys; The Heavyweights are such a dreary lot-I think Tarver can beat some of them.
Hey; history is replete with the lightheavyweight champion cahllenging the heavyweight king.
I say, why not?
Maybe it's just what the BORING heavyweight division needs.
Karl

BDeskins
06-21-2005, 01:12 AM
But usually in the past you had guys like Billy Conn, Archie Moore, Bob Foster and Michael Spinks moving up to fight heavyweights...Tarver falls way short of any of those guys!

Kid Achilles
06-21-2005, 02:59 AM
Tarver fails to match up to those great LHs not only in ability, but in size and strength as well. Tarver is a tall guy, but he has a shallow rib cage and is one of the lankiest, most unimposing boxers I've ever seen. No amount of muscle he can put on will compensate for his chicken chest and frail bone structure. It would only take a decent natural heavyweight to hurt him bad. Tarver would do best to avoid the big boys of the sport, the possible exception being a faux heavyweight like James Toney.