PDA

View Full Version : Joel Julio vs. Cornelius Bundrage Results & Discussion

TKO Tom
07-12-2007, 07:41 AM
This fight went down last night on ESPN2 Wednesday Night Fights and it wasn't a bad scrap.

It was a case of another "The Contender" reality show contestant being beaten in a relatively higher profile fight.

Bundrage 26-2 (15)KO, who took the fight on only three weeks notice, showed some heart and guts by hanging in there for eight rounds against Julio 31-1 (29)KO.

Bundrage rose from a third round knockdown and a knockdown in the eighth before finally being beaten up to such an extent that he had to be saved by the referee. Bundrage was being hammered against the ropes and the fight was stopped at 1:08 of round eight by referee Jack Reese.

Bundrage showed again that "The Contender" fighters are really C and B level type guys as he fell to world class opposition much like Peter Manfredo, Noberto Bravo, Walter Wright et al.

Julio has a glossy record but shows many major flaws. While Teddy Atlas and Joe Tessitore, who called the fight from ringside, praised Julio's skills and tout him as a legitimate star, I just don't see it that way.

Julio's problem is that when an opponent moves against him, or throws any sort of feint or even a flicker of a punch - he stops punching altogether. That was the reason he lost so meekly to Carlos Quintana who kept a glove in his face all night and offered some lateral movement. Julio is a busy guy with decent power and fundamentals but I don't think he's even good enough to win an alphabet title in the red hot 147 division right now. The upside is that he is only 22 years-old. If he can improve over the years he may turn into something, but right now I don't think he's top 10 material.

The corrupt alphabet sanctioning cartels apparently believe Julio to be better than I do. The WBA has him ranked #3, the WBC sees him one better as #2, the IBF agress with me and doesn't even have him in the top 15 while the IBF ranks him #5. The Ring Magazine also does not rank Julio at all. What's curious to me is that all of the alphabet cartels have Julio ranked as a Welterweight when he has fought at Junior Middleweight in his last four bouts.

With Main Events as his promoter you can bet that a title shot is not too far off. It should be interesting to see what happens with this kid in the long term.

TKS

bomma
07-12-2007, 10:29 AM
I think he is pretty good but not great. He will loose to a good boxer again and maybe a guy with a great chin.