PDA

View Full Version : Forrest vs. Mora/Quintana vs. Williams II Results & Discussion

TKO Tom
06-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Check it out...

http://www.maxboxing.com/Stewart/Stewart060708.asp

diggity
06-07-2008, 04:31 PM
I was about to cover this card but Williams made short work of Quintana knocking him down twice in a 1st round TKO.

The bout started slowly with some jabs & some posing. Quintana began to connect with the same shots he enjoyed all night long in the first fight until Williams stepped it up. He jabbed his way in & connected with some hard shots as he backed Quintana against the ropes with a minute to go in the first round. A straight left started the barrage, then Williams backed him up with another flurry of shots against the rope for the first KD. Quintana got up on wobbly legs and Williams picked up where he left off, closing the show with a right hook & more straight lefts. Very impressive.

evander
06-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Quintana was just starched in the 1st rd! I felt he would lose but not that quickly. Kudos to Williams. Williams redeemed himself in the same manner as R. Jones did vs Griffen.

Wladimir Klitschko Sucks
06-07-2008, 04:45 PM
in spite Jim Grey's comments i see no need for a rubbermatch. Willams brutally exposes Quintana and proves the first fight was nothing more than a fluke.

WKS

diggity
06-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Mora/Forrest R1
Starting slow, pawing jabs from both fighters...Forrest misses with a hook then lands a right...both fighters look very tense, missing a lot....Forrest with a left hook...more posing, boos reign in...Forrest with a sloid body shot & overhand right against the ropes after a break...Mora misses, another body shot for Forrest..left hook by Mora...Forrest round

diggity
06-07-2008, 04:57 PM
R2
Forrest jabs to the body then to the head...Forrest blocks jabs from Mora...Mora pokes in a left...Forrest lands a right...zzzzz....uppercut by Forrest...zzzz.....Forrest right to the body....Mora lands a partially blocked hook....they trade shots against the ropes, another right for Forrest...Mora's not going to win like this...Forrest round

diggity
06-07-2008, 05:01 PM
R3
zzzzz............omg someone please make a fight break out....an entire minute just went by with no reason to type and it continues....both content to paw jabs in the middle of the ring.....Forrest finally lands a right!....more garbage ensues....Mora lands a few punches backed onto the ropes....I might bow out of this coverage if this crap keeps up....Forrest round

diggity
06-07-2008, 05:05 PM
R4
Both snap the jab to start the round....Mora with a left hook...more poking & proding....zzzz...Mora jabs low...Forrest shoe shines to the body...Forrest with a right in the clinch...Mora jabs & lands a left to the body...Forrest connects with a right, left hook by Mora....Mora lands a quick flurry & finishes with a nice left hook...Forrest with a jab...& another...& another...Mora looking to rest apparently....zzzz...what the hell am i watching here?!...Mora round

diggity
06-07-2008, 05:09 PM
R5
Clinch to start the round...Forrest pokes the jab...misses with some lame rights...they both hold & hit each other...partially blocked right lands for Mora...trading jabs...Forrest jabs but not with much pop...Mora lands 2 quick hard lefts....& then an uppercut...Mora with a double jab...posing party continues...trading wicked feints....zzzz.....Even round I guess, maybe edge to Forrest

diggity
06-07-2008, 05:13 PM
R6
Mora with a left to the body....Mora with a hard right, Forrest may be a little shaken..Mora tried to follow up, not much lands....uppercut by Mora, low blow by Forrest....Mora stepping up the pace now...Mora misses with a combo, Forrest counters with a right...slowing down again....left to the body by Forrest & follows with an uppercut....Mora round

diggity
06-07-2008, 05:17 PM
R7
Forrest looking real tired in the corner....Forrest misses with a right...poking jabs...posing, feinting & more pawing jabs form both fighters....Forrest blocks a left hook....Mora lands a jab...Moras punches have much more snap than Forrests...double jab by Mora...jabs to the body...ref warns Mora for rabbit punching...Forrest misses with a right...Mora with 2 jabs & a quick hook...Mora with a hard right to the body & little flurry....Moras round

diggity
06-07-2008, 05:21 PM
R8
Someone please fast forward this fight...Left hook by Forrest...trading jabs...Forrest pressing now....Mora with 3 quick left hook/uppercuts...left hook by Forrest grazes Mora..Forrest lands low & gets another warning....now the ref warns for holding...ref warns Mora again for rabbit shots & hitting on the break....Mora with a left to the body...Forrest misses with a right....Even round, edge to Mora maybe

diggity
06-07-2008, 05:25 PM
R9
Forrest jabs to start the round...Forrest pokes a right...looking real slow...Forrest lands a right up top...Mora flurries into a clinch, mostly blocked...Mora with a left to the body...trading jabs....Forrest hits on the break, ref does nothing....left hook by Forrest...Mora lands a flurry against the ropes...Forrest a little wobbled & tries to answer land 2 hard shots...Forest answers with some wild shots....Mora steals the round

diggity
06-07-2008, 05:29 PM
R10
Mora jabs, backing Forrest up...jabs to the body & the head...Forrest with a left hook...Forrest has no snap....Mora circles...i think Forrest went to knee Mora....Mora with a few jabs...uppercut & hook for Mora...jab to the body & head...Forrest looks like an old man, oh yeah he is...left hook by Forrest...Mora backs him up with some jabs..Mora with a flurry inside...more quick shots inside...Mora round

diggity
06-07-2008, 05:33 PM
R11
This feels like waiting in line at the DMV...Mora lands a jab...Forrest paws with the jab...not much going on other than some hitting on the clinches...Mora with a left to the body...press row has it a close fight for some reason...Mora with an uppercut & a grazing hook..lands a big right...Forrest lands to the body...Mora with a right & left uppercut partially blocked....Mora round, Forrest about to die of exhaustion, Mora looks like he did his roadwork

diggity
06-07-2008, 05:37 PM
R12
Thank god...Forrest is going to need a crane to get him off his chair....clinching ensues...Mora hitting anything he can...lands a hard right...Mora could have ended this fight rounds ago had he stepped it up but he's still a little green so ....they trade in the corner...Mora against the ropes...Forrest with a chopping right...mauling him with elbows...finally the ref breaks and Mora skips away on his bike...eating the clock...they trade lead grazing rights...Mora lands to the body as Forrest holds...Mora against the ropes...Forrest lands a right, Mora show boats (he did a few times in the fight actually, no idea why)....the fight finally ends...Mora gloats to Forrest saying "and the new"...and he should be right. Let's see....Mora round

diggity
06-07-2008, 05:41 PM
MD?
114-114 (Cmon)
115-113
116-112

Mora wins.
Doesn't look like such a moron now for turning down Taylor back then. He would have been murdered. Mora has some promise...maybe...but he still has plenty of work to do. He fought very smart tonight.

kikibalt
06-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Would anybody pay to see Mora fight?

evander
06-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Uhh...can someone please tell me what the helll Williams was saying in the post fight? I thought it was Zab Judah for a second there.

Ron Lipton
06-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Does anyone see why MMA holds more interest to many fans after seeing this boring horrible fight. Mora has no power, the fight was so boring I could not watch it anymore.

The post fight interview with Williams was the epitome of the sad lack of education for many young boxers and this young man. Kudos to him for winning in devastating fashion but he has many flaws in his delivery and gets away with them because of his height.

If I hear one more athlete repeat, "Ya know what I'm sayin," twice in one sentence I am going to puke. Paul, read a book in training camp, take speech lessons but PLEASE spare us the street corner jibberish on national TV, we survived Zab, please don't bring that crap back.

Rise to the occasion and speak intelligently, thank you.

evander
06-07-2008, 07:00 PM
If I hear one more athlete repeat, "Ya know what I'm sayin," twice in one sentence I am going to puke. Paul, read a book in training camp, take speech lessons but PLEASE spare us the street corner jibberish on national TV, we survived Zab, please don't bring that crap back.

LMAO!!! Amen!

diggity
06-07-2008, 08:45 PM
I counted 37 "know what I'm sayin"s. I think he was going for a world record.

gregbeyer
06-07-2008, 08:56 PM
sergio mora will make a better matchmaker than a fighter. by passing jermain and waiting for forrest to get old...gotta give the guy credit.

if anyone didn't notice we had two lefty vs. lefty fights tonite with lopez-deleon and williams-quintana both ending in first round KO's. not hard to understand why even lefties hate lefties.

paul williams looks like a freakin' lightheavy in there. anyone hear what he weighed at fight time ?

greg

bodyblow
06-08-2008, 05:17 AM

Hes a boxer for gods sakes, if he were a Rhodes scholar I could understand this criticism but there are and always have been far more guys like this (uneducated) in the sport than not.

Juan C Ayllon
06-08-2008, 06:30 AM
I didn't hear the post fight interview, but I'm reminded of a live Canonball Adderly CD I've got stashed away somewhere. For those of you unfamiliar with him, he was a great saxophone player. This particular session was recorded back in the 60s in San Francisco, if I'm not mistaken.

During an introduction of a song, he must have said, "you know what I mean" at least four, five, maybe even six times or more. In fact, he said, "you know what I mean" at least two or three times in one sentence! Yet, that aside, clearly, he was pretty intelligent and articulate.

I thought it was kind of funny.

Getting back to the boxer and his "you know what I'm sayin'" comments, I wouldn't be too tough on him about that sort of thing. Heck, I'm college educated on my way to getting my Masters, but put on the spot, sometimes I've said some things that no doubt left me sounding vacuous and like a bit of a dolt. And, despite what some others might think, I don't think I'm either one of those.

Also, I don't know if you remember this, but there was a time or two back in the 70s when after a fight, on top of just being George, Foreman slurred his words a little. He definitely sounded a bit thick-tongued. But of course, later on, he was fine.

I'm thinking that after coming down off the buildup and completion of a fight, the guy's really ready to let off some steam and should be granted some leeway. Just my thoughts.

Anyways, I've got to run.

Regards,

Juan

Ron Lipton
06-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Hes a boxer for gods sakes, if he were a Rhodes scholar I could understand this criticism but there are and always have been far more guys like this (uneducated) in the sport than not.

Reply: Understood, but sometimes when it is like stated above by others 37 times in one sentence it grows very tiring on worldwide television. It encourages other kids who look up to athletes to stick with street slang instead of striving to speak just a teeny, tiny, itsy bitsy little more intelligently.

No Rhodes scholar necessary, no college graduate necessary, no walking dictionary necessary, but at least one step up or down lets say from saying "you know what I'm saying, " 37 times, just 35 would be ok, ya know what I'm sayin?

Ron Lipton
06-08-2008, 08:02 AM
I didn't hear the post fight interview, but I'm reminded of a live Canonball Adderly CD I've got stashed away somewhere. For those of you unfamiliar with him, he was a great saxophone player. This particular session was recorded back in the 60s in San Francisco, if I'm not mistaken.

During an introduction of a song, he must have said, "you know what I mean" at least four, five, maybe even six times or more. In fact, he said, "you know what I mean" at least two or three times in one sentence! Yet, that aside, clearly, he was pretty intelligent and articulate.

I thought it was kind of funny.

Getting back to the boxer and his "you know what I'm sayin'" comments, I wouldn't be too tough on him about that sort of thing. Heck, I'm college educated on my way to getting my Masters, but put on the spot, sometimes I've said some things that no doubt left me sounding vacuous and like a bit of a dolt. And, despite what some others might think, I don't think I'm either one of those.

Also, I don't know if you remember this, but there was a time or two back in the 70s when after a fight, on top of just being George, Foreman slurred his words a little. He definitely sounded a bit thick-tongued. But of course, later on, he was fine.

I'm thinking that after coming down off the buildup and completion of a fight, the guy's really ready to let off some steam and should be granted some leeway. Just my thoughts.

Anyways, I've got to run.

Regards,

Juan

Reply: Also understood and good point Juan,

Maybe this guy was just on the spot and rambling on, hopefully the next post fight interview will go up a level, because quite honestly it really gets sad after awhile to see any promising athlete just concentrate on one thing in life alone, I hope he is succesfull at all he does and gets some help from those around him to help him do a classier interview.

diggity
06-08-2008, 10:35 AM
All kidding aside, Williams was extremely excited & I'm sure he had a ton of of nervous energy. He certainly didn't sound like that after the loss to Quintana. More importantly, Williams is not Zab thank god.

TKO Tom
06-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Listen to Dwight Muhammad Qawi in his post fight interview after the second Holyfield fight...

He said "You know what I'm sayin'" or "You know what I mean" about 50 times.

It happens.

Juan C Ayllon
06-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi Ron,

Last night, I actually watched that short bout and subsequent interview with Williams. Now I have a better idea of what you were talking about. It wasn't just the "you know what I'm sayin'." It was more than that. Williams was talking in that popular, hip hop urban slang that's so prevalent--and popular--with a large segment of America's youth. I don't particularly care for it, or the Ebonics movement that accommodated it for several years in the field of education (it's still not around, is it? I certainly hope not!).

I'm reminded of the slang popular with surfers--and how it filtered into Southern California back when I lived there in the 80s. Words such as "gnarly," "rad (short for radical)", "tubular" (as in the rush of surfing in the tube section of the wave), "stoked" (really thrilled or happy), and phrases such as "totally rad," "totally awesome, dude," "y'know" and many others permeated the culture.

Oh well...

jaybird
06-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Are there any rematch clauses or chances for Mora-Forrest?

Jay

Ron Lipton
06-10-2008, 12:18 PM
I know what you mean and fads come and go. He was excited and I got that, and I know Qawi sent there too, and that is a good call on that one. I wish Paul the best of luck and Zab Judah too, my opinion and it is only mine is that it is extremely grating on the ears, sad because it seems to reflect a total inability to convey anything other than a limited street vocabulary and puts a young man into a rut of not reading or wanting to read and in later life it can hurt him by limiting his ability to communicate intelligently.

Repeating you know what I'm saying that many times is a sure sign of a lack of the ability to communicate too far beyond that. If only reading was encouraged as much as sparring, other opportunities would be available for such a dedicated athlete later on in life.

diggity
06-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Are there any rematch clauses or chances for Mora-Forrest?

Jay

God I hope not.

iskigoe
06-10-2008, 01:56 PM
I went back to listen to Paul. He didn't sound that bad to me, but I have lived in the town that Paul is from for some time now. Paul spent some time in a great boxing club here in Aiken sc, and let me tell you they are serious about boxing, but more serious about education.

News 12 @ 6 Tuesday May 6, 2008

Aiken, SC For most kids sports is a way to enjoy life outside of school and have some fun, for many at the Aiken Boxing Club, it's so much more.

Meet 16 year old Javier Frazier, member of the Aiken Boxing Club. Without the club, Frazier knows he'd probably be in big trouble.

"This is like the good road for me" said Javier Frazier " I was like going away from the good, but this brought me back to it."

He's not alone.

"I use to have a terrible attitude." said 22 year old Aundre Williams. "Boxing helped me, I guess, release my madness on the bag. Ms Green and everyone, they helped me in school, made me pay more attention in school, stop me from being so stubborn."

The kids at the Aiken Boxing Club give all the credit in the world to Wanda and LeRoy Green who give guidence and a safe haven for kids of pretty much any age.

"Just to have it as an alternative to the drugs and to the gangs and stuff. So here we do more then boxing." said LeRoy Green

"This is not only a boxing club, this is almost like a school away from a school too. We have classrooms and stuff like that. We learn about life, it's the total package." added Frazier

"When we calculate time versus child, just to see that change, I think that's the biggest reward a person could ever want." added a smiling Green

There's about 40 active members in the club and have had plenty of success in the ring, just check out the trophies. But everyone here knows the true success comes outside the ring, thanks to the Green's.

"It's a home away from home. When we go out of town I don't think any parents are worried about it because (the Green's) are like mom and dad away from mom and dad." said Williams.

The Aiken Boxing Club is sponsoring a Junior Olympic state qualifying event this weekend. In addition to the amateurs on friday, there will also be five pro bouts later that night. Winners from this week go onto a regional tournament with nationals down the road.News 12 @ 6 Tuesday May 6, 2008

Aiken, SC For most kids sports is a way to enjoy life outside of school and have some fun, for many at the Aiken Boxing Club, it's so much more.

Meet 16 year old Javier Frazier, member of the Aiken Boxing Club. Without the club, Frazier knows he'd probably be in big trouble.

"This is like the good road for me" said Javier Frazier " I was like going away from the good, but this brought me back to it."

He's not alone.

"I use to have a terrible attitude." said 22 year old Aundre Williams. "Boxing helped me, I guess, release my madness on the bag. Ms Green and everyone, they helped me in school, made me pay more attention in school, stop me from being so stubborn."

The kids at the Aiken Boxing Club give all the credit in the world to Wanda and LeRoy Green who give guidence and a safe haven for kids of pretty much any age.

"Just to have it as an alternative to the drugs and to the gangs and stuff. So here we do more then boxing." said LeRoy Green

"This is not only a boxing club, this is almost like a school away from a school too. We have classrooms and stuff like that. We learn about life, it's the total package." added Frazier

"When we calculate time versus child, just to see that change, I think that's the biggest reward a person could ever want." added a smiling Green

There's about 40 active members in the club and have had plenty of success in the ring, just check out the trophies. But everyone here knows the true success comes outside the ring, thanks to the Green's.

"It's a home away from home. When we go out of town I don't think any parents are worried about it because (the Green's) are like mom and dad away from mom and dad." said Williams.

The Aiken Boxing Club is sponsoring a Junior Olympic state qualifying event this weekend. In addition to the amateurs on friday, there will also be five pro bouts later that night. Winners from this week go onto a regional tournament with nationals down the road.

I

bodyblow
06-10-2008, 01:56 PM
I totally understand what your getting at Ron. I just remember the days when loud mouthed managers wouldnt let their boxers speak because they were simply uneducated fighters. I think its a good thing that these guys get a chance to be heard (for probably the only time in their life) even if I cant understand what the hell they are talking about half the time.

Ron Lipton
06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Very nice article Iskigoe, and thats such a nice side of boxing, thanks for sharing that.

I work with so may kids every day like that bodyblow, training them but also sharing books, and other kinds of help so when boxing is over, a job interview will go well for them. They are all probably doing better than me anyway(Smile.)

Paul Williams has a lot going for him and it is a rare occassion when the whole world can hear you in an interview, it is good to try and rise to that occassion and have people with you to help you do so.

I am no one to judge anyone and I am not, as a fan it just got tiresome that night.

best,
Ron

iskigoe
06-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Ron,

Your right. At that level one should be prepared for the media. I think as a MGR. looking for fights I would build my fighter up in every way. Media training would be a must. It's the big time, you must bring the "BIG SHOW"

Overhand_Right
06-10-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm going to have to side with Ron here.

My education is poor and i grew up surrounded by a lot of kids adopting this hip hop slang gangsta speak drivel, whatever you want to call it, but it's not like it takes a genius to hear people speaking around them like a RJJ, Judah, Paul Williams and think 'you sound like a complete idiot. Only a complete idiot would hear that noise and want to adopt it for themselves'

I was managing a small clothes/shoe store, and the amount of guys who'd swagger in and hand in their CVs (resume's) wanting a job, mumbling 'ya get me bro? ya get me, ya get me' (the british equivalent of ya knowwhatamsayin?') etc after virtually every sentence was incredible.

I'd be thinking 'yeah, i get that theres no way in hell i want you speaking to customers in here'

Ron Lipton
06-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Exactly right OverhandRight and Iskigoe,
When you are lucky enough to have a successfull fighter or be the successfull fighter, media training is essential to rise to the occassion and you know what, endorsements come to those that can reach all people as a role model. I would want the best for the fighter, he paid his dues and being a young man his older more wise friends should help him be all he can be.

Public speaking can become an essential part of making the most of a title and an image for all fans to look up to and admire.

Wladimir Klitschko Sucks
06-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Its a interview, who gives a crap. He beat the fuck out of his opponent and that's what really matters.

iskigoe
06-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Winning is what counts. But it doesn't suck to get paid for endorsements.
Speaking is a skill that can be learned. If you work that hard to get to the top why not reap the benifits. Who gives a crap sponsers.

Overhand_Right
06-11-2008, 05:37 AM
Its no mystery as to why an affable, well spoken guy like Ray Leonard would make so much money outside of boxing though sponsorship and advertising etc.

Would any company want Zab Judah as their face or voice?

The statement: "Its a interview, who gives a crap. He beat the fuck out of his opponent and that's what really matters" says it all.

A similarly limited mindset.

Antonia Margarita
06-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Williams won a fight, not a spelling bee. George Bush can barely give a speech without tripping over himself for christs sake.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.boxnews.com.ua/photos/521/KermitCintronAntonioMargari.jpg