PDA

View Full Version : Abraham vs. Miranda Results & Discussion 6/21/08

Zevl
06-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Good evening everyone,

Coverage of the main event will be starting shortly...

Zevl
06-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Early results:

In a IBF middleweight eliminator, Raul Marquez (42-3, 29 KOs) earned a title shot with an upset unanimous decision over previously unbeaten Giovanni Lorenzo (26-1, 18 KOs). Marquez applied pressure, while Lorenzo tried to sharpshoot from the outside. Marquez' workrate and veteran moves gave Lorenzo problems which he often didn't have answers for. Marquez was cut over the right eye in round ten but Lorenzo was deducted a point for a headbutt in the same round and the fighters continued to fight after the bell. Scores were 114-113 across the board for Marquez.

In a battle of unbeaten junior welterweights, Warriors Boxing prospect Kenny Galarza (6-0, 6 KOs) obliterated Heraclides Barrantes (5-1-1, 2-0), brutally dropping him twice in round one. Time was 2:59.

Heavyweight Elijah McCall, son of former heavyweight champion Oliver McCall, won his pro debut with a first round annihilation of Darion Moss (0-2). Time was 2:24. Moss was down twice.

Cecilia Braekhus (8-0, 2 KOs) won a six round unanimous decision over Nicole Woods (4-3). Welterweight Braekhus showed good skills in her American debut against a gritty opponent. Scores were 59-55, 60-54, 60-54.

Junior welterweight prospect Victor Cayo (16-0, 10 KOs) continued his unbeaten run with a workmanlike six round unanimous decision over Harrison Cuello (15-7-2, 11 KOs). Scores were 60-54 on all cards.

Welterweight Ed Paredes (19-2, 12 KOs) battered Maximino Cuevas (10-8-1, 5 KOs) for two one-sided rounds before the bout was stopped before the start of round three.

Zevl
06-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Round One

They trade jabs early on. Miranda lands a body shot followed by a right hand. Abraham not very busy, letting Miranda dominate the action. Abraham landsa body shot, gets warning from Ref for low blow. Slow round goes to Miranda.

Zevl
06-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Round Two

Miranda starts quick, backing Abraham into a corner. Miranda backs Abraham into a corner once again, pounds away, not much lands. Miranda lands an uppercut and a nice left hook to the body. Right to the body lands for Miranda in mid-ring. Abraham is just not doing much of anything. Miranda lands a low blow, gets a warning from the Referee. They trade body blows to end the round. Miranda's round.

Zevl
06-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Round Three

Abraham lands a pair of body shots. Abraham then lands a nice right hand. Miranda lands to the body once again. A right hand buckles Miranda's knees but doesn't press the action. Miranda tries to go to the body as the round ends. Abraham's round, easily.

Zevl
06-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Round Four

Miranda starts strong, backing Abraham to the ropes. Abraham floors Miranda with a straight right. A sweeping left hook floors Miranda once again. Abraham goes for the finish and floors Miranda for the third and final time as the bout is stopped. Slow start but a very strong finish for the counterpuncher Abraham. Impressive showing

Off The River
06-21-2008, 11:37 PM
A good scrap. I think Pavlik will pick Abraham apart with his straight punches. Abraham tends to swing for the fences at times.

Thomas44
06-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Sounds like it was an exciting fight . Miranda is raw and strong but a straight punching boxer can time him.

Good win for Abraham ... does this mean a Pavlik -Abraham bout is going to happen ?

Mike DeLisa
06-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Hopefully we are done with Miranda now.

Ron Lipton
06-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Great win and REDEMPTION for Abraham, despite all the flexing and trash talk by Miranda and his dirty fighting from before and low blows tonight, Pavilik took enough out of him to soften him up but good for Arthur. Well done, and pretty left hooks.

As to the Beto fight, I was watching the fight live and received several E-mails asking me how Lawrence Cole was allowed to get this assignment in Tennessee after being admonished so strongly for his role in another fight. In that fight he told a fighter who was favored to win while injurred that he should not quit as he was ahead on the scorecards.

Does anyone know what fight that was, I will remember but it escapes me at the moment?

In any event Lawrence, an insurance salesman who sells insurance for fighters to the fight promoters sometimes where he refereed bouts, has a father named Dickie Cole who is or was the head of the Texas Boxing Commission and an Officer in the WBC sister organization the NABF.

Just about every single title fight for the WBC-NABF in Texas he got assigned by his father and Pedro Fernandez on RingTalk has written this up forever on his site.

Lawrence is a nice young man yet this is the worst kind of nepotism imaginable and to have him assigned in Tennessee is very questionable for a WBC fight.

It never seems to end the favoritism, nepotism and political manuvers in boxing.

Once I realized and saw this firsthand, including one of the better known referees making calls to European promoters CONSTANTLY to Denmark and other European venues and USA venues to get assingments which he did successfully, I got a snoot full of how it really works. Commissioners appointing their best buddies, no matter how bad they screw up over and over again ad infinitum. The fighters be damned.
This famous ref was and is a lawyer and former judge who was kicked off the bench in local justice court in NJ for a
Lack of intergrity, but who was allowed to still refereee in NJ, and unbelivably in NY by Ron Scott Rabinowitz Stevens, and also in Penn and Conn. After being kicked off the bench for atrocities that were so cruel it defies description, he was allowed by Stevesn to referee Golota three times in NY in the Garden, while Stevens blackballed me with Hugo Spindola, a total non boxing guy, who arranged for himself to be allowed to be Executive Director and Attorney at the same time for the Commission because he liked to be seen on TV. (LOL)

I realized that if you do not stick up for yourself against this type of campaigning, no one else will.

I used to get criticized for trying to circumvent this nepotism, appointments of buddies for YEARS, and I used to get a good laugh out of the guys protesting me getting assignments based on merit while they themselves appointed their best friends until it became an abomination ending in deaths and injuries in the ring. When I saw Cole in there tonight I know despite whatever these refs do, it will NEVER end as long as thier relatives and pals are in charge.

This fight was easy to ref so nothing went wrong thank God.

Abraham should be proud and I know Rocky as a proud Armenian is happy in this victory. Kudos Arthur, well done.

Rafael
06-22-2008, 04:20 AM
Ron, the fight you are recalling (with the Cole shenanigans) was Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Jimrex Jaca. The unbelievable part was that it was clear that he knew he was doing something wrong (by trying to cover his mouth to muffle his words). The problem was that he forgot Marquez did not speak English! Only in Texas!!!!!

evander
06-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Miranda looked shot last night compared to the 1st fight. He was stiff as a board and his reflexes were gone.

Ron Lipton
06-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks Professor. I remember that fight now, just horrible behavior by the ref.

Evander is right,
You know despite the ripped look, Miranda did look shot, it is amazing what the Pavlik beating took out of him. It was like Ray Leonard coming into the ring after training in a health club to outwardly look ready, and then have Camacho in his cosmic diaper blitz him to the canvas while inwardly Ray was an aged athlete with no recuperative power or reflexes left for the real ring.

Crold1
06-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Gotta disagree here...Miranda loked cautious which could be attributed to remembering the problem in the first fight he confronted again in the second...he can't get through the guard of Abraham. Miranda has always been hurtable. eastman had him staggered, Abraham hurt him several times in the first bout, Green had him reeling and Pavlik stopped him. Last night was a logical display of what happens if AA can concentrate without broken bones. He was well on his way to stopping Mirand the first time. Having watched AA for abut ten fights, he's just this good.

Rafael
06-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Miranda is -and has always been- a limited fighter with a big punch, a big mouth, and a not so great chin. He has been wobbled and knocked down many times. He will probably continue to get some good paydays because of his "TV-friendly" style and go down the same path Mayorga has gone.

gregbeyer
06-22-2008, 04:42 PM
agreed. miranda just does not have the chin to compete against top level middleweights.

got a kick out of abraham. he went to some length to learn a few words of english tho his ear understood none of it. he should be commended for his effort tho. they booed the hell out of him at the beggining and he comes into the interview saying "i like america". reminded me of that german soldier digging his own grave in saving private ryan.

would love to see him and pavlick...hell...why not ??

greg

prototypeofamodernmadman
06-22-2008, 07:03 PM
I didn't get a chance to catch the fight live, but I just watched it on youtube,
Miranda looked like Miranda in there, wild sloppy telegraphed shots, overconfidence in his punching power, despite Abraham's covering style, he is still very exciting to watch, he got REALLY wild in there after the first knockdown but apparently it worked, those were some savage knockdowns, I liked the second the best, he threw a wild left from about two miles out and landed it full force on mirandas jaw,

So, there are talks of an Abraham/Marquez match now??? so he exposes an untested prospect (lorenzo) and now he gets a crack at Arthur, on a side note,
Giovanni Lorenzo has been claiming Pavlik is afraid to fight him and then goes life and death with a guy that was destroyed by Yori Boy Campas when he was still in his prime,

anyway, easy victory for Abraham if that happens

now, how do you guys feel Abrahams rope a dope style will work against Pavlik? Certainly Abraham has the speed and power to hurt Pavlik, and, if he can drop Pavlik and hurt him, could probably finish the job, he has to be seen as a serious threat and they have to fight before the year is out.

HE Grant
06-22-2008, 08:17 PM
The jury is out on Pav and will be for a while ... is he this generations Monzon or a 160 pound version of Danny Lopez? Time will tell ...

Ron Lipton
06-22-2008, 09:03 PM
agreed. miranda just does not have the chin to compete against top level middleweights.

got a kick out of abraham. he went to some length to learn a few words of english tho his ear understood none of it. he should be commended for his effort tho. they booed the hell out of him at the beggining and he comes into the interview saying "i like america". reminded me of that german soldier digging his own grave in saving private ryan.

would love to see him and pavlick...hell...why not ??

greg

LOL "BETTY GRABLE, SOME GAMS...I'M A YANKIE DOODLE DANDY ETC"
Also Franz Liebkin in the original Producers, looking furtivelly around for Immigrtion agents, singing I'm a yankee doodle dandee.

Great win for Arthur after all the crap he had to take at the press conferences.

Very funny!

Crold1
06-22-2008, 09:33 PM
He: If he just turns out to be a Lopez-type, the fans can't lose. :)

DscribeDC
06-23-2008, 04:49 PM
LOL "BETTY GRABLE, SOME GAMS...I'M A YANKIE DOODLE DANDY ETC"
Also Franz Liebkin in the original Producers, looking furtivelly around for Immigrtion agents, singing I'm a yankee doodle dandee.

Great win for Arthur after all the crap he had to take at the press conferences.

Very funny!

Major props for THE PRODUCERS reference...

Ron Lipton
06-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks D,

you are a real afficionado.

DscribeDC
06-23-2008, 06:37 PM
As far as the fight goes, I only saw highlights of the first one, but it looked like a real mess. As for the rematch, Abraham's demolition of Miranda leaves no doubt who is the better man. And Abraham is one tough s.o.b. I think he'd be a good test for Pavlik.

DscribeDC
06-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks D,

you are a real afficionado.

Wonder whatever happened to Kenneth Mars after MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE? In THE PRODUCERS, wasn't it a version of "Deutschland Uber Alles" that morphed into "Yankee Doodle Dandy"?

Ron Lipton
06-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Kenneth Mars now about 72 years old, did voices for cartoons and animated projects. That was the song alright. Funny guy.

What is with Abraham's brother being arrested and for kicking out at the fallen Miranda? Then he claimed Miranda's camp was throwing chairs at them?
I did not see this, is it true?

diggity
06-23-2008, 09:12 PM
I have yet to see Abraham wobbled in the handful of fights I've seen him in & both Pavlik & Abraham carry power late. I thought Abraham was a tad wild versus Miranda but he was there with one goal in mind and that was to make a statement. He will be much more clinical versus Pavlik. There's a great fight coming.

tedsares
06-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Hopefully we are done with Miranda now.

HHmmm, Why would you say that, Mike? When he lost to AA in Berlin, he raised AA's hand. Like a lot of trash talkers, 99.9% of it is pure hype. Yeah, he is ignorant and all, but I kind of like a guy who is up from the gutter (particularly a Columbian one) and at least fights the best opposition out there. that's the thing about Edison, he always fought the best and that should count for something, even if he is a clutz when he opens his mouth. :confused:

diggity
06-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Miranda needs to fight his Antonio Vargas & he'll be right back in the mix. I have no problem with a guy who comes to fight. Miranda at least shows some skill whereas Mayora still swings like a wild gorilla.

Rafael
06-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Who is Antonio Vargas?

tedsares
06-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Who is Antonio Vargas?

Fernando Tarver? :confused: heh heh