PDA

View Full Version : Black Murderer's Row

Surf-Bat
08-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Over the years the roster seems to have expanded a bit. Anyone know who was on Budd Schulberg's original list?

Mike DeLisa
08-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Check Harry Otty's book on Charley Burley

Surf-Bat
08-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Hi Mike. Looked there. The expanded murderer's row is there but not Bud's original list. Don't know if Bud's list included Lytell, Wade, Chase, Carter, etc. like Harry's book does.

Boxscribe
08-27-2008, 12:11 AM
From memory it was Charley Burley, Eddie Booker, Jack Chase, Lloyd Marshall, Joe Carter and Charley Banks.

If I ever stop living out of boxes (been here a year almost and still no room to properly spread out with my 'materials'), I may be able to confirm that.

hhascup
08-28-2008, 09:43 AM
"Too good for his own good" a statement that was made by many boxing managers and promoters of the 1940s when referring to Pittsburgh's Charley Burley. Arguably the greatest boxer never to win a world title, Burley was the most feared fighter of his generation and the most avoided fighter in the history of boxing. Writer Budd Schulberg ('On the Waterfront') christened them "The Black Murderers' Row". Charley Burley, Eddie Booker, Jack Chase, Bert Lytell, Lloyd Marshall and Aaron 'Tiger' Wade terrorised boxings middleweight division in the 1940s and were avoided to such an extent that they had to fight amongst themselves simply to remain active and earn a living.

"Charley Burley is a legend in boxing, but the public doesn't know him because he never got the credit."

Eddie Futch

Surf-Bat
08-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Burley was the most feared fighter of his generation and the most avoided fighter in the history of boxing.

I think anyone who knows about the career of Sam Langford would disagree big time:)

hhascup
08-28-2008, 11:48 AM
I think anyone who knows about the career of Sam Langford would disagree big time:)

I was quoting Eddie Futch and I think he meant modern times.

Boxscribe
08-28-2008, 11:19 PM
I was quoting Eddie Futch and I think he meant modern times.

Actually Henry, that was me you were quoting. Eddie Futch is responsible for the last line only ("Charley Burley is a legend in boxing, but the public doesn't know him because he never got the credit.")

I stand by it too! Burley was probably the most feared fighter of his generation. He was avoided by many (welterweight on up), as was Langford - but Langford still got plenty of fights.