PDA

View Full Version : Dare I ask opinions on Valuev/Ruiz 2 this weekend?

diggity
08-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Due to the comatose state of boxing at the moment, color me intrigued. Both guys are attempting to re-invent themselves...which I honestly don't think is possible considering their styles...but I commend the effort anyway. Both of these guys have something to prove so this fight is a lot more interesting than it was the first time around. I'll be looking for the download once it's done. Hopefully Valuev wins but he will have to do much more than his last fight to swing the judging this time. He has some make-up to do.

Wladimir Klitschko Sucks
08-29-2008, 09:25 PM
I thought the first fight couldve went either way.

i like Valuve by a bigger margin this time as he's learned from his mistakes.

Ruiz went back to the anaconda style in the mcCline fight but has shown that he can be watchable when he wants>

Id watch this if it was on TV,

WKS

GorDoom
08-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Who gives a flying fuck through a rolling donut about this fight? I know we're all starving for a fight but this has BUMMER written all over it. Whatever the outcome it's gonna be one ugly fight that's gonna reek.

& I'm supposed to get a woody because the winner may meet Lil' Klit?

Puh-Leeze ...

GorDoom

diggity
08-29-2008, 10:07 PM
True but I'm banking on the "theater of the unexpected" part of boxing on this one. You know I'm a dreamer ;)

newpoppop
08-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Who gives a flying fuck through a rolling donut about this fight? I know we're all starving for a fight but this has BUMMER written all over it. Whatever the outcome it's gonna be one ugly fight that's gonna reek.

& I'm supposed to get a woody because the winner may meet Lil' Klit?

Puh-Leeze ...

GorDoom

Why don't you tell us how you really feel. :D

For the record, I couldn't agree more.

KOJOE90
08-30-2008, 09:31 AM
This fight is on TV live here in the UK and so is 'most?' of the undercard. I will be watching and hoping for an entertaining fight, but we shall see......

I pick Valuev on points.

10-8
08-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Let's hope they both suffer detached retinas and are both forced to retire.

Rafael
08-30-2008, 12:13 PM

Wishing for physical harm is a bit over the top, IMO.

However, if you are looking for irrefutable bigfoot evidence, you ought to watch this fight.

:D

PeteLeo
08-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Come on, guy. No matter how we feel about them as boxers, these are actual people we're talking about. PeteLeo.

GorDoom
08-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Agree 100% with Pete on this.

There are plenty of boxers & football players I don't like but I would never wish personal harm on them. Pete's right about another thing you watch a fight or an NFL game & it's easy to forget that those are REAL people out there putting their bodies & in some cases their lives on the line to entertain us.

Fighters like Valuev & Ruiz while extremely unappealing to watch - I think I made myself clear about that in my previous post - are still men with wives & families just like the rest of us.

GorDoom

KOJOE90
08-30-2008, 06:20 PM
It was actually quite a good fight.

Valuev fought a smart controlled fight and used a thudding accurate jab to good effect. Ruiz tried his best and landed some good overhand rights and left hooks.

Both came to fight and not hold etc.

Valuev won on points by the way!!!!

Juan C Ayllon
08-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Here's a link to coverage by Per Ake Persson:

Link to Valuev-Ruiz II Coverage (http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/news/archives/00004711.htm)

mrbig1
08-30-2008, 10:21 PM
There's not many HW fighters out there with a name. Some people knows who Ruiz is therefore it's more money in the bank. For those of us who knows boxing we could care less.

Todd
08-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Was Chagaev stripped of the WBA title at some point?

PeteLeo
08-31-2008, 01:31 AM
I think he's been granted one of those one-year medical leaves due to his on-going injuries and diseases. Valuev would technically be the "interim" champ now.

You know, this may sound blasphemous, but this interim allowance isn't really all that bad. It gives legit titleholders the appropriate amount of time needed to recover from physical problems while still keeping the division busy. As long as the interim champ (whoever he may be) matches with the "real" champ when everything's copasetic, I can live with it in boxing. PeteLeo.

diggity
09-01-2008, 07:51 PM
It was better than the first fight but a little bit clearer of an outcome. All Valuev is a jab & if you are 7 feet tall and your jab is decent, its a lot to overcome. I saw some improvement in Valuev as I did in Ruiz. It does not in any way mean they are suddenly watchable fighters but an improvement nonetheless. They actually traded in spots if you can believe it. Ruiz never captured the imagination and it looks like Valuev never will either, but he is the star of the freak show and people will tune in just because of that. Klitschko should take Valuev for a good purse and an easy night. Either Klit that is IMO.

doomeddisciple
09-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Is there a sorer loser in boxing than John Ruiz?

http://www.fightnews.com/sauerland78.htm

Valuev Camp: Ruiz a sore loser!

September 9, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team Sauerland has dismissed John Ruiz´ protest against the outcome of his WBA heavyweight title fight versus Nikolai Valuev, branding Ruiz' accusations as “ridiculous and an affront to the WBA.”

According to Team Sauerland, it's not the first time the former heavyweight champion and his team have acted as sore losers, citing an incident after the December 2005 Valuev-Ruiz fight, when his then-coach stole the belt from Valuev after the official verdict was announced. (This time) instead of taking the law in their own hand again, Team Ruiz decided to protest the outcome of last month´s fight, which Valuev clearly won on points (116-111, 116-113 and 114-113). The Ruiz camp wants Valuev to be stripped of his belt and a rematch ordered.

“That is absolutely ridiculous,” Sauerland Event managing director Chris Meyer said. “His accusations are without any substance. They are an affront to the WBA and their officials. Everybody saw that Nikolai clearly won the fight.”

Ruiz accuses judge Takeshi Shimakawa of keeping a running score, while blaming Antonio Requena for scoring two rounds even. He also criticised the referee for ruling a slip rather than a knockdown when Valuev's knee touched the canvas in the second round. “Not even in his wildest dreams could Ruiz knock Valuev down,” Meyer said. “The TV pictures clearly show that Nikolai slipped. After the 24 rounds the two have been in the ring, there can be no doubt that Ruiz could not knock Valuev down even if he had his arms handcuffed to his back.”

Ruiz also claims that Valuev´s corner received updates of the scoring during the fight. “This accusation is untrue, too,” Meyer added. “WBA supervisor Robert Mack has already made that clear.”

It was Mack who had immediately sorted out the confusion about the verdict, which had accidentally been announced as a split decision rather than an unanimous points victory for Valuev. Mack apologised for the mistake at the official press conference. “Nikolai will have nothing to fear from the WBA,” Meyer added. “But it really is a shame that Ruiz acts as a sore loser yet again.”

For the international media, the outcome of the fight was clear. The Daily Telegraph wrote: “On closer examination of the 12 rounds, Valuev will clearly be seen to have dominated Ruiz with his jab, and 84 inch reach, allied with having the greater skills he showed when he outpointed former titleholder Sergei Liakhovich, from Belarus, winning every round in a February 2008 title eliminator at the Nuremberg Arena.” Bild, Germany´s biggest-selling tabloid, reported: “Gigantic win for Russian Giant. All in all it was a sovereign victory.”

diggity
09-10-2008, 09:34 AM
He's in the top 5 all time for sure.

brutu
09-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Is there some reason that the Valuev fights are not shown in America?
Is he black-listed or something?
Who doesnt want to watch a seven footer fight ever?
Especially in California were they like freak shows(quote from the classic movie THE HARDER THEY FALL)
compared to all the junk fights shown on the various cable channels including Showtime even HBO,most are real yawners even before the bell rings.