PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. - Oscar Suarez

hhascup
09-14-2008, 12:47 PM
I just got word this morning on the passing of boxing trainer Oscar Suarez.

When I find out more I will pass it on.

Thanks, Henry

Barrabas
09-15-2008, 01:33 PM
This is from Fightnews:

Popular trainer Oscar Suarez sadly passed away in New Jersey over the weekend. Suarez, who is best known for training former world champion Acelino 'Popo' Freitas and Prince Naseem Hamed among others, had been briefly battling pancreatic cancer. "Boxing has lost a great trainer, and I have lost a great friend," Freitas told the Brazilian publication Gazeta Esportiva. "We were together for seven years and we won three titles together." A viewing is scheduled for Wednesday from 5-9 p.m. at De Luccia-Lozito Funeral Home in Haledon, at 265 Belmont Ave. The funeral is scheduled for Thursday. He leaves us at the age of 47 and will be missed.

but earlier today I found out about it in a Puerto Rican Newspaper.

R.I.P.

Rafael
09-15-2008, 02:56 PM
I am shocked and saddened by this. Such a young man.

R.I.P.

doomeddisciple
09-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Very sad, R.I.P Mr Suarez.

hhascup
06-21-2009, 10:08 PM
I would like to share something with all of you.

I presented my wife Joyce and Emile Griffith awards this afternoon. Also some times you do something and it effects people that you never knew before. One of the honorees was the wife & family of trainer Oscar Suarez, who passed away last September. When this happened, I called all the boxing people around and we formed a squared circle and I gave a 10-15 minute Eulogy, which I tell a short story of there life. At the end, I ring the bell, not 10 times, but 9, because I believe a small part of them will live on. They live in the hearts of there family and loved ones and all the love and what he taught them will filter down from 1 generation to the next.

When they got up there, to my surprise, they all stated that they will never forget what I did, and I would be in there hearts forever. The person who did most of the talking, actually broke down while thanking me in front of everyone. It was a very moving moment.

Sometimes you do something and you really don't know who you really touched. I have given Eulogy's for approx. 200 former boxing people. People like Joey Giardello, Rocky Castellani, Joe Miceli, Charlie Gellman, Howie Albert, Paul Cavaliere, Paul Venti & Tippy Larkin, just to name few. Each time someone passes on in the boxing family, I get a call, asking me to Ring the bell and to give the Eulogy and what was said today, really gives me a Great feeling, that I have done something worth while.