PDA

View Full Version : Kessler-Haussler

Thor DK
10-25-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't know if this fight will be shown in America. If so, and you don't want to know the result, don't read any further.

This was a mandatory defense of Mikkel Kessler's WBA super middleweight title. Before the fight Kessler's management complained bitterly about Danilo Haussler's status as a mandatory challenger and basically called him unworthy of fighting Kessler. Haussler had already lost to two other danish super middleweights Mads Larsen and Rudy Marcussen.

Kessler proved his management right with an easy victory on Haussler's home ground in Germany. He controlled the first two rounds completely with his jab, and Haussler's eyes were starting to close as he came out for the third round. Halfway through the round Kessler exploded with a five punch combination ending with a straight left to the jaw that sent Haussler flat on his back where he was counted out. A fine performance by Kessler in a fight where he had everything to lose and nothing really to gain.

diggity
10-25-2008, 07:22 PM
You have to wonder what is going on with Kessler & his management. Fights like this are very dangerous for him at this point. Kessler needs to get back in the mix asap. He must still have some mental problems with the loss. To me if I lost that fight to Calzaghe, I would still hold my head high but he must be taking it tremendously hard to a fault. It wasn't a complete beating & it wasnt like he was KOd. Kessler has nothing to be ashamed of & sky is the limit for him with Calzaghe gone.

Thor DK
10-25-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't get the impression that Kessler has any particular problems over the loss to Calzaghe. The Haussler fight was one neither Kessler nor his management wanted and tried their best to get out of, complaining to the WBA that Haussler wasn't qualified to challenge for the title. Haussler had already lost to to other danes, so this fight wasn't very marketable even in Denmark. The fight was basically a waste of Kessler's time, but it was either that or lose the title, and having the title probably improves his chances of securing more meaningful fights in the future.

Mike DeLisa
10-26-2008, 06:37 PM
I saw the bout -- Kessler threw a quick series of straight left-rights: the first three missed and then he landed a light right and a left jab. Danilo had squared up by that point and was knocked over on his ass by what was essentially a long-range slap. Danilo's cornermen jumped into the ring, so I don't think there was a ten-count, although the announcers did seem to day kayo.

Check out this at 3:35 mark -- Kessler was wide open to be countered through the entire sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOkR9ciEiqk

Rafael
10-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Calzaghe fought mandatories like this for seven years and never complained.

doomeddisciple
10-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Not only that Raf, but Mr Kessler also travelled to get more important fights. I for one very much enjoyed watching him trounce Anthony Mundine in Sydney.

diggity
10-28-2008, 10:27 AM
But this is way different now IMO. Kessler was very much in the spotlight, taking the fights he should, got the Calzaghe fight & then went back to fighting nobodies almost as if he was destroyed by JC. Granted one was for a vacant belt but he would have ridden his notoriety more had he taken the Miranda fight that was on the table for him. He would have looked good while having a fight that would have been picked up by Showtime or HBO.

diggity
10-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Looks like he wants to get back on the horse after all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/7669868.stm