PDA

View Full Version : Patsy Brannigan

Surf-Bat
11-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Anyone have any info on this guy? I know he was a top featherweight for years and gave Johnny Kilbane all he wanted in several fights. There's little else available on him.

Surf-Bat
11-06-2008, 02:49 PM
He was hit and killed by a train in 1962. Was this filed away as a suicide? He had just retired from being an elevator operator 4 years earlier (the average American male dies within 5 years of retirement), so maybe it was a suicide. Or maybe pugilistic dementia led to confusion which led to him wandering out on the tracks?

Anyone know?

Mike DeLisa
11-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Nothing in his obit and nothing I have found indicates it was other than an accident.

Obit is wrong, though, because circa 1958, Brannigan indeed was operating his gym -- as I have seen several amateur boxers listed as fighting out of the "Patsy Brannigan AC."

Surf-Bat
11-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Interesting. That's kinda why I was wondering if Patsy was a bit disoriented in his twilight years. It's a bit hard to get accidentally hit by a train.

Thanks for the info Mike.

SB

Mike DeLisa
11-10-2008, 03:12 AM
It is not hard to get hit by a train -- I live near train tracks and you can walk along the tracks for certain shortcuts. A good friend of mine was killed doing that by simply getting clipped from something hanging off the train.