PDA

View Full Version : Valuev-Holyfield 12/20

don1234
10-11-2008, 12:35 PM
You guys must have seen this announcement.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/10/boxings-dark-si.html

"world heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield has agreed to fight world heavyweight champion Nikolai Valuev on Dec. 20 in Europe."

Call it the Oscar/Manny show in the heavyweight in-name-only division.

diggity
11-13-2008, 11:14 AM
I heard the rumors about this weeks ago & laughed them off but unfortunately now they are true.

Is Holy really bringing in the few extra dollars anymore where it's even remotely hard to say no to this guy?

Be it as it may, it's just another 12 boring rounds of jabs bouncing off of Holyfield's scrambled head.

Nauseating

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/7661486.stm

walshb
11-13-2008, 11:19 AM
I came across that link today and didn't even read it. It's just not worthy of reading!

I hope Holy gets KO'd, not hurt, just clean KO'd, and early!

Zevl
11-13-2008, 11:26 AM
I came across that link today and didn't even read it. It's just not worthy of reading!

I hope Holy gets KO'd, not hurt, just clean KO'd, and early!

I agree, as long as Holyfield keeps taking these guys to a decision...the more likely he'll continue to get cracks at a title solely based on name recognition.

walshb
11-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Surely if JT can take Holy out, Valuev can.

JT did it a few years ago and Holy has to be worse than back then!

Fingers crossed eh!

diggity
11-13-2008, 12:47 PM
JT has more skill in his fat sausage finger than Valuev would ever have in that tremendous body. Trait for trait, Holy does have a remote chance against Valuev only because he is slow. But Valuev will use his height to jab Holyfield into a mess and take any possible drama of that away. Despite Valuev's flaws, I know he will not do anything resembing taking a chance in this fight.

Sharkey
11-13-2008, 12:58 PM
It's like Evander is now "Leon Spinks, 2008" except rather than tackling (or being tackled by) an Ashard, Mims and Mijangos (great wuss-band name by the way)....titles are somehow always involved.

hagler04
11-13-2008, 11:23 PM
This has the potential to be THE worst HW title fight EVER . . yes, worse than Page-Witherspoon, Ruiz-anybody, Lyakovich-Briggs, Wlad-Sultan . . . .for so many reasons.

PeteLeo
11-14-2008, 01:12 AM
It'll really have to suck to be worse than Ali-Evangilista. Really. PeteLeo.

Petey
11-14-2008, 01:38 AM
Only chance I see for Holy is if Valuev grabs a blond from the audience and makes for the nearest skyscraper.

I don't necessarily see a TKO, unless Holy being scraped off the souls of the big guy's shoes counts...

diggity
11-14-2008, 10:27 AM
When do they start Valuev-Holyfield 24/7? ;)

hawk5ins
11-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Have an issue with HBO's 24/7 shows only being 30 Mins long?

I mean, to quote Lionel Hutz, attorney at Law, much like his case agianst the Movie "THe Never Ending Story", isn't this "the biggest case of False advertising", ever?

Hawk

newpoppop
11-15-2008, 12:14 AM
It'll really have to suck to be worse than Ali-Evangilista. Really. PeteLeo.

Or Holmes-Cobb. The only good that came from that fight was Howard Cosell not doing commentary on boxing any more. ;)

darkknight718
12-17-2008, 10:52 AM
This fight is coming up this weekend on PPV. Apparently, they're charging $10 for it. Anyone willing to admit they're going to pony up the sawbuck to watch this?

diggity
12-17-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm probably the only idiot here who may have been tempted but thank god I have a XMas party to go to & save the embarrassment

Overhand_Right
12-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Toney didn't actually 'stop' Holyfield did he really though? Does anyone actually think Holyfield would not have seen the 12 rds out had Don Turner not tried bring about the end of his career with that white towel?

I dont think Toney could of beaten Holyfield to the point of stoppage personally, and Valuev just seems too slow ands throws push shots. 12 rds looks probable.

JLP 6
12-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Toney would have killed Holyfield that night if that towel had not have come in and yes Evander should not be fighting, and what title does Holyfield have?Where have I been?

Bottom line.
What else can he do to make money?

Dan Gunter
12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
In regard to Holmes-Cobb: At least Cobb got off some good lines about it. I recall Holmes saying in the post-fight interview that Cobb was joking with him in the ring and that Holmes was having trouble not laughing.

diggity
12-17-2008, 02:04 PM
I thought Toney was well on his way to KOing Holyfield. He was getting consistently murdered in the preceding rounds. Knowing how badly he hurt Holy to the body with that KD, I'm sure it would only be a matter of time before JT would have stopped the fight on another body shot.

KOJOE90
12-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Holyfield is really going to struggle to land any reasonable headbutts in this fight.

Valuev wins on points.

diggity
12-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Holyfield is really going to struggle to land any reasonable headbutts in this fight.

Nice!:)

hawk5ins
12-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Sick, twisted and sadistic fun, but fun none the less.

It was an awesome display of skills at least from one participant. ALi Evangelista, was putrid on both sides. One couldn't anymore. And the other couldn't Ever.

I swear John Ruiz used that fight as his "how to box" instruction video.

Hawk

Rubber Warrior
12-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Or Holmes-Cobb. The only good that came from that fight was Howard Cosell not doing commentary on boxing any more. ;)

Cobb's post-fight comments were terrific. Holmes showed some good moves late.

Not a lot of good came from the fight, per se, but it wasn't a horrifc event.

ShawnTheBleeder
12-20-2008, 06:51 PM
News and round-by-round of fight can be found here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/bryan_armen_graham/12/20/holyfield.valuev/

Some sucker at SI actually paid for the fight! The results may or may not surprise you... waiting on scorecards now.

10-8
12-20-2008, 07:03 PM
According to SI Holyfield won 10 of the 12 rounds and still lost the decision. I'll have to see this fight now to see how bad the judging was.

Another black eye for boxing!

sweetsci
12-20-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't know how much I trust that SI fellow. I think a key comment was in his observations of a middle round, "It's not that Holyfield looks that great..." Perhaps the judges didn't see Holyfied's dancing as being effective.

I'm looking forward to seeing what folks here at the CBZ have to say about it.

People are screaming "fix" on other boards, one guy even before the fight started.

What do you all think?

HC05
12-20-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't know how much I trust that SI fellow. I think a key comment was in his observations of a middle round, "It's not that Holyfield looks that great..." Perhaps the judges didn't see Holyfied's dancing as being effective.

I'm looking forward to seeing what folks here at the CBZ have to say about it.

People are screaming "fix" on other boards, one guy even before the fight started.

What do you all think?

I had it 9-3 Holyfield but I find it very difficult to get worked up about the scoring as the fight was the worst piece of crap I have ever witnessed. This fight made the De Leon-Nelson fight look like an action packed slug fest, unbelievably bad.

Holyfield bounced around doing virtually nothing, as expected, but Valuev was just walking after him not even throwing jabs. Holyfield won rounds by landing 5-6 shots. I just can not put into words how bad this fight was. In the old days this fight would have been stopped halfway, purses withheld and no decision rendered. If this kind of shite does not kill off boxing nothing will.

Crold1
12-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Evander Holyfield Robbed Blind in Switzerland Disgrace

By Cliff Rold

Nearly a decade ago, Evander Holyfield benefited from a disgraceful draw in his first unification bout with Lennox Lewis universally hailed as one of the worst decisions of the 1990s. A little more than a decade ago, a 48-year old George Foreman was jobbed out of the lineal World Heavyweight championship versus Shannon Briggs in a way which suggested Foreman was no longer wanted on the big stage. Empathy with both Lewis and Foreman should come easy to Holyfield after what occurred at the Hallenstadion in Zurich, Switzerland on Saturday night.

In what may go down as one of the worst decisions ever rendered in a Heavyweight title fight, the 46-year old former Olympian, four-time titlist, and two-time lineal World Heavyweight king Holyfield (42-10-2, 27 KO) of Atlanta, Georgia, 214 ½ lbs., landed the cleaner blows and controlled the tempo for most of twelve rounds only to be denied an earned fifth title by judging which could be seen by some as incompetence so epic it validates the decision of so many former fans to stay away from the Sweet Science. It was by no means a great fight; in fact, it was at times downright dull.

None of that changes what happened in the ring.

At 7’0, 310 ¾ lbs., the 35-year old Russian Valuev (50-1, 34 KO) retains his WBA belt and path to a rematch with 30-year old former titlist Ruslan Chagaev (24-0, 17 KO). Chagaev returns from the Achilles injury which cost him his belt in early February and this bout should increase the odds of another Chagaev victory when he ultimately meets Valuev again. Chagaev provided Valuev his only official defeat in April 2007 utilizing much the same strategy Holyfield employed.

Read the Rest at: http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=17579

diggity
12-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Whatever. Valuev is a freak show and Holy might as well be in the same category. I don't care to waste my time & watch the fight. I'm sure Holy back pedalled as many mentioned and I'm sure Valuev threw a bunch of jabs which many apparently missed. It didn't seem to me either one wanted to get into a real fight, so fuck it. Holy is too old & Valuev is too damn un-athletic. He is ok for a big guy but that is not enough on a championship level. Give the belt back to Chagaev who actually is in great shape & head back to the circus. Holy, go home. You had your day, stop being selfish & let other young guys get some prime time. You may have won this fight but if you really think you can beat either Klit, you really need to retire. Please do not waste public airtime on either brother, they will beat you unmercifully.

doomeddisciple
12-21-2008, 07:17 PM
The worst possible result.

Close enough for Holy to forge ahead and for alread talks of a post Chagaev fight rematch.

I echo Digg's views wholeheartedly - Chagaev is like the taller hairier Butterbean, Holyfield needs to let go.

diggity
12-21-2008, 11:59 PM
"Holyfield won the first six rounds and Valuev won the last six," Sauerland said. "But Holyfield, as the challenger, did not do enough to win the fight."

Um...that sounds like a draw last I heard the rules.

darkknight718
12-22-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm glad that I resisted the temptation that set in on Saturday at around 2:30to buy this fight. They'd raised the price to $25 by then, inexplicably, and I decided that although I genuinely have liked Holyfield as a fighter, I don't want to pay money to see him any more. Sounds like the fight was a snoozefest with an ambiguous result, and I'd have felt even dirtier if I'd given over my hard-earned money to support that.

StingerKarl
12-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Cliff's report was spot on, I had it 9-3 Evander.

Poor Holyfield can't fight anymore, and Valuev simply cannot fight at all.

A very poor fight, but I expected as much.

The Italian that voted 8-4 Valuev was disgusting and incompetent as that fight wasn't even close.

Holyfield did put in some beautiful counters infrequently from time to time, while Valuev did almost nothing.

Ron Lipton
12-23-2008, 10:04 PM

The Italian that voted 8-4 Valuev was disgusting and incompetent as that fight wasn't even close.

Holyfield did put in some beautiful counters infrequently from time to time, while Valuev did almost nothing.

Reply: Not knowing where the judges were from or their loyalties, why does anyone think they gave this to Valuev instead of the real winner in this case?

Ron Lipton
12-23-2008, 10:04 PM

Reply: Not knowing where the judges were from or their loyalties, why does anyone think they gave this to Valuev instead of the real winner in this case?

bodyblow
12-24-2008, 12:55 AM
because the fight was promoted by valuev's promoter sauerland who has a history of garnering shady decisions for his fighters. not unlike don king and bob arum.

Antonia Margarita
12-29-2008, 12:23 AM
holifield prolly ran like a bitch
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/2556717046_d39db6d166.jpg