PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. - Tony Castellano

hhascup
01-16-2009, 11:49 AM
WORLD BOXING COUNCIL NEWS
January 15, 2009 Mexico City .
From WBC President Jose Sulaiman:

It is with great sadness that we express our sympathy for the passing away of one of the absolute best judges that I have met in my life of boxing, Tony Castellano. The World Boxing Council declares January 15 as a day of mourning.

Tony was the judge in fights of some of the greatest fighters ever, including Floyd Patterson, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Sugar Ray Robinson, and all of the great ones of the last half century. Even in recent times, he was still appointed as a judge by the WBC without ever being criticized for a wrong scoring.

Tony was one of the very best judges, and one who founded the group of those judges in 1971 when they created the ten point system.

I remember Tony as a judge for being always untouchable by the reactions of the public or the corners; for his total dedication to our sport and for his unwavering loyalty to the institutions, as well as I remember his wife, our unforgettable Carol.

May he rest in peace, and please accept the deepest sympathy of all the members of the WBC at this moment when one of our great friends is joining mighty God.

Ron Lipton
01-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I knew Tony since the 60's from the old Garden and traveled with him to boxing conventions spending many hours talking about the old days.

Very sorry to hear of this and my condolences to his family.

Ron