PDA

View Full Version : Vic Darchinyan vs Jorge Arce Results & Discussion 2/7/09

GorDoom
02-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Zev will do the honors tonight for which I personally give thanks since I gave up Showtime & there's no way I'm paying 25 bucks for a fight these days especially considering the usually crappy undercard.

Per usual, please keep all discussion of this card to this thread. Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

Zevl
02-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Round One
Vic starts fast and lands a right jab. Both fighters seem cautious. Halfway through the round, Vic lands a left hand. Arce lands a right followed by an uppercut by Vic. Vic lands another nice uppercut. Straight left lands to close out round. Vic's round.

Round Two
Straight left lands once again from Vic, he seems to be able to land it at will. They both trade left hands. Swelling under the left eye of Arce. Beautiful straight left lands for Vic and he backs Arce to the ropes where he flurries to end the round. Vic's round.

Round Three
Arce lands two shots to the body. Vic lands an uppercut. Double left hooks lands for Arce. Arce trying to make this a brawl. Straight left again for Vic. Arce lands a left hook to the head of Vic. They brawl to end the round. Very close round, slight edge to Vic, although this fight is getting interesting.

Round Four
Left hook by Arce looks like it wobbled Vic. Arce lands a nice left to the body. Uppercut by Vic to the body. Arce stops Vic dead in his tracks with a combination. Left uppercut hurts Arce. What a war! Another uppercut lands for Vic to end the round. Another close one, again a slight edge to Vic.

Round Five
Arce lands a left hook to Vic's body. They trade in mid-ring, both land. Arce working Vic's body on the inside. Arce coming forward, Vic counterpunching. Slower round. Vic lets his hands go at the end of the round and lands a nice combination. I'll give Arce this round due to bodywork.

Round Six
Vic is really pressing the action to start the round, seems like he wants to finish the fight. Straight left connects for Vic. Arce has slowed down. Lead left uppercut lands for Vic. Arce keeps trying to connect with lefts to the body. Vic's round.

Round Seven
Arce pressing forward again. Vic is countering effectively and is limiting how close Arce can get inside to land to the body. Beautiful left uppercut lands again for Vic. Vic ends the round strong. Vic's round.

Round Eight
Counter left catches Arce on the way in. Vic really turning it on now. Arce looks tired. Left hook lands for Arce. Left uppercut connects yet again for Vic. Vic looks confident as the round closes. Vic`s round easily.

Round Nine
Vic lands a combination to begin the round. Two straight rights lanf for Arce, but they don`t seem to faze Vic. They slug it out after Arce complains about getting hit behind the head. Nice combination by Vic, Arce follows with a left hand. Vic`s round.

Round Ten
Beautiful lead left lands for Vic. Vic is really doing a great job counterpunching Arce. Left uppercut jolts Arce. Another lead left for Vic. Right hand by Vic closes out yet another one-sided round.

Round Eleven
Counter left uppercut lands for Vic. Right hand connects for Arce. Arce`s right eye is cut now. Vic is pouring it on, Arce wobbles. Left uppercut by Vic staggers Arce. Easy round for Vic.

Doctor stops the fight in between rounds in a rout for Vic. Competitive early on, Vic's fight absolutely later in the fight. Vic very impressive.

Ron Lipton
02-08-2009, 12:56 AM
I can only comment on what I observed in this fight.

Arce, no physical power, Darchinyan much stronger, you have to have power in both hands to win and keep a title in any weight class.

Vic must fight and defeat the man who beat him.

GorDoom
02-08-2009, 01:08 AM
I didn't see the fight but I agree with Ron's assesment. You MUST avenge such a devastating loss.

Zev: Thanks again for your excellent coverage. I feel informed without actually seeing it. Good job!

GorDoom

doomeddisciple
02-08-2009, 03:48 AM
Vic must fight and defeat the man who beat him.

I agree though Gary Shaw has outright said no to this fight since Donaire left camp Shaw for Top Rank.

gregbeyer
02-08-2009, 04:09 AM
i agree. it doesn't matter how many belts adorn the body of vic darchinyan as long as all i can remember is that face plow he did into the mat after nonito stretched him.

i still feel nonito will ko vic again and i believe gary shaw does too. vic for his part appears to want the fight but of course we ,the fans, will not get it because of gary shaw. same old shit. shaw may be disgruntled over nonito bolting his banner but i honestly think he fears losing his meal ticket to another donaire left hook.

rather than nonito he is offering up vic to marquez or vasquez. not so sure that would be smart. if nonito was too big for vic then these two will be more so.

gary shaw can drop dead for all i care now. hes a big fat hindrance to the sport.

greg

doomeddisciple
02-08-2009, 08:26 AM
The two most compelling things about the Donaire rematch for me is to see what adjustments Vic has made and how he would approach the fight tactically, and secondly to see if all these guys who don't want to fight Donaire is either A) keeping him fresh or B) Developing some rust on those silky skills of his.

That said, while I would still call for the Donaire rematch - I wouldn't complain if Vasquez V Darch was made tomorrow!

Mike DeLisa
02-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Gary Shaw must need a wheelbarrow to carry his balls around: otherwise I don't know how he would be able to refer to Nonito's "loyalty."

kikibalt
02-08-2009, 01:00 PM
The two most compelling things about the Donaire rematch for me is to see what adjustments Vic has made and how he would approach the fight tactically, and secondly to see if all these guys who don't want to fight Donaire is either A) keeping him fresh or B) Developing some rust on those silky skills of his.

That said, while I would still call for the Donaire rematch - I wouldn't complain if Vasquez V Darch was made tomorrow!
I predict that Vasquez will never fight again....;)

kikibalt
02-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Vic and Jorge have to be two of the ugly fighters to watch that I have ever seen.

TDKO
02-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Vic just has too much power, Arce had nothing to keep Vic off him, but he is one tough little SOB , he took a pounding and never gave up.....

I do not get Showtime, (Just HBO), but wanted to see this fight, so I called my local cable co., and asked if they had any specials, turns out I could have Showtime for $5.00 more per month, cancelable anytime. This fight was worth
$5.00 to me! (Even if it didn't turn out to be that competative)

PeteLeo
02-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Terrible corner work by the people supposedly watching out for Arce. The kid wasn't competitive from the fourth on and was getting blistered in every round, yet all they could say was, "Don't quit, fight harder." Now Arce's in the hospital, maybe suffering permanent damage, and they're off in some corner, whistling happily and counting their dough for doing their "jobs."

That massacre should have been stopped no later than the eighth or ninth. The ref isn't without accountability, either. PeteLeo.

gregbeyer
02-08-2009, 05:32 PM
interesting comments pete, but , i do tend to agree with you. too often are fighters chastised for retiring in there corners. arce or his corner should have bailed out by the 8th or 9th round. at that point he was out of it and anyone could see he was not going to stop the stronger fighter.

arce is one of those "too tough for his own good" types. his legs did not look good as early as the 3rd round. i was actually surprised to find out he was 4 years vics junior. his fight with michael carbajal seems like it was fought in another era. he appears shot and should never fight again. i did not know he was in the hospital. i hope he is ok.

frank,

why do you think vasquez will not fight again ?

greg

PeteLeo
02-08-2009, 05:41 PM
The good news is that Arce was thoroughly checked out and released from the hospital. He's now on his way to Miami for a vacation.

The bad news (and isn't there ALWAYS bad news?) is that he plans to fight again "at least once more." PeteLeo.

kikibalt
02-08-2009, 06:40 PM
interesting comments pete, but , i do tend to agree with you. too often are fighters chastised for retiring in there corners. arce or his corner should have bailed out by the 8th or 9th round. at that point he was out of it and anyone could see he was not going to stop the stronger fighter.

arce is one of those "too tough for his own good" types. his legs did not look good as early as the 3rd round. i was actually surprised to find out he was 4 years vics junior. his fight with michael carbajal seems like it was fought in another era. he appears shot and should never fight again. i did not know he was in the hospital. i hope he is ok.

frank,

why do you think vasquez will not fight again ?

greg

He suffered a detached retina, had surgery, but the eye has not responded well, he is seeing double and under the Calif. rules once you suffer a Detached retina you can not get a license to fight.

diggity
02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
I was a little disappointed in the fight.
The fight was a lot sloppier than I expected. Neither guy is a real technician by trade but the first 4 rounds was a messy swing fest in there. More shots missed than landed.

I thought we were seeing shades of the old Vic in there for a while but when he realized Arce wasn't going anywhere he used his skills to punish him the rest of the night.

Arce is just too tough for his own good.
I thought his elbows excuse was pretty weak.

Who was the guy that Vic was addressing in the ring in the post fight & said that he should face Arce & he would destroy him?

prodigious1
02-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Vic Darchinyan and the Lethal Lefties

Vic Darchinyan beat up Jorge Arce on Saturday night and retained his Super Flyweight World Championship in the process. The proud Mexican never stopped trying to get something big in, and he actually did so from time to time, but he just couldn't find his feet in there.

In the end, Vic's special punching power and superior physical strength won him nearly every round on his way to a convincing TKO win over Arce, who is just unbelievably brave.

Darchinyan puts such a frightening beating on most of his opponents that I got to thinking about how uncommon southpaw destroyers are in boxing. How does this little Armenian assassin stack up against the great offensive lefties in recent memory?

http://theboxingbulletin.blogspot.com/2009/02/vic-darchinyan-and-some-other-lethal.html

gregbeyer
02-09-2009, 01:32 AM
a lethal lefty list ???

HAGLER ??

greg

prodigious1
02-09-2009, 04:19 AM
Hagler was lethal in every way. He just had more options than everyone on the list. Pac has recently shown some new wrinkles, but as a youngster he was Manny "The Destroyer" Pacquiao. Naz looked like crap every time he didn't knock his man out. The others had to attack, or else.

hagler04
02-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Just watched the fight. Arce to me looked slow and really really off and sloppy from the first bell. Those first 2 rounds for him were awful and he was never going to come back from that save some miraculous body shot knockout.

Vic looked good but I'm still not sold on his chin.

diggity
02-09-2009, 02:38 PM
I think I'm as sold as I need to be on his chin. He certainly doesn't fight like someone with a questionable chin, which is all we can ask for. Arce landed some solid shots & he took it well. A slickster like Donaire can & probably will still starch him but I trust Vic will be a lot smarter this time around.

gregbeyer
02-09-2009, 03:12 PM
ok. guess i did not understand the article. thought you forgot him.

greg

doomeddisciple
02-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Hagler was lethal in every way. He just had more options than everyone on the list. Pac has recently shown some new wrinkles, but as a youngster he was Manny "The Destroyer" Pacquiao. Naz looked like crap every time he didn't knock his man out. The others had to attack, or else.

I thought Manny actually showed much improved skills and general continuous improvement from the second Morales fight onward - Manilla Ice et al.