PDA

View Full Version : Edwin Valero TKO 2 Antonio Pitalua

PeteLeo
04-05-2009, 02:27 AM
For the title.

Man, every time Valero steps into the ring, his lack of style makes it look like it's his first experience in the biz, but Jesus, the guy can hit. Okay, Pitalua was 39 and a loser in virtually all of his important bouts, but how do you argue with a 26-0, 26 KOs record and two world titles?

In the comments section of the YouTube broadcast of the bout I watched, one view said, "Bring on Khan!" or something like that. After the Prescott misstep, I think I'd steer away from a killer like Valero. PeteLeo.

diggity
04-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Valero would end Khan's career. It may not look graceful but he certainly has a method to his style.

hagler04
04-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Valero has certainly been a destroyer but these all KO records seem to evaporate once people step up to the top 10-15. How about Katsidis-Valero?

diggity
04-05-2009, 12:45 PM
I had my doubts about Valero from way back but his fight with Mosquera made me believe that he was a little more than just a guy with a nasty record. He still has some more proving to do for sure but he would KO Khan right through his guard.

TKO Tom
04-05-2009, 12:57 PM
I've only seen Valero on YouTube. From what I can see he can obviously punch.

However he is: (1.) Crude (2.) Technically limited (3.) Defensively challenged.

Arum is calling for Juan Manuel Marquez. I think JMM would box the shit out of him.

Valero is just now getting started IMO. Let's see how he does with the cream of the 135-pound crop before jumping to any conclusions.

I think we all remember a young George Foreman, Mike Tyson and a long list of others that were deemed "unbeatable monsters." As soon as the competition was stepped up - they went down in flames.

My suspicion is that Valero is one of those.

Crold1
04-05-2009, 01:12 PM
JMM is the best fight for Valero. He is what he is so might as well go for it. The Lightweight champ is a beautiful boxer but he's always been vulnerable early in fights and Valero has the power and youth to finish what others couldn't if he can nail him. If he doesn't he loses but can go back to everyone else and still sell tickets.

And what a GREAT PPV show last night...that one and the Khan-Barrera show were worthy every cent I spent on them. :)

hagler04
04-05-2009, 01:22 PM
I've only seen Valero on YouTube. From what I can see he can obviously punch.

However he is: (1.) Crude (2.) Technically limited (3.) Defensively challenged.

Arum is calling for Juan Manuel Marquez. I think JMM would box the shit out of him.

Valero is just now getting started IMO. Let's see how he does with the cream of the 135-pound crop before jumping to any conclusions.

I think we all remember a young George Foreman, Mike Tyson and a long list of others that were deemed "unbeatable monsters." As soon as the competition was stepped up - they went down in flames.

My suspicion is that Valero is one of those.

Well, I wasn't exactly thinking of Foreman and Tyson . . they did pretty well once they stepped up.;)

More like your Mugabis,Mac Fosters etc.

TKO Tom
04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah, you're right.

Poor analysis on my part. But you got the point.

Crold1
04-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Thing is, Pitalua and Mosquera are legitimate steps up, at least to the B+ level. JMM is aging and if Juan Diaz can wobble him early, an awkward Valero with better speed and about 100 times more power would have his shots. JMM should be favored but this kid has been the same fundamentally flawed guy for a few years. I say roll the dice if JMM will come to the table.

diggity
04-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Thing is, Pitalua and Mosquera are legitimate steps up, at least to the B+ level. JMM is aging and if Juan Diaz can wobble him early, an awkward Valero with better speed and about 100 times more power would have his shots. JMM should be favored but this kid has been the same fundamentally flawed guy for a few years. I say roll the dice if JMM will come to the table.

I agree. He will always have a home in Mexico & Texas anyway. His hands land like rocks & he isn't afraid to take 3 to land 1 which would most certainly be the case with JMM.

Crold1
04-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Marquez has been down five times versus Norwood and Pac, southpaws with pop, and neither of them punches like Valero.

diggity
04-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey, anything can happen. Valero needs some polish but JMM is not exempt from getting hit. When Valero's shot's land, they count.
I think we all remember doubting a rough little guy named Manny when he was matched with Barrera way back when.

prototypeofamodernmadman
04-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I haven't caught the Valero fight yet, someone above mentioned a Valero - Katsidis matchup, yea right, did you see the Chavez - Katsidis fight last night, Katsidis won it, but a shot, old and completely worn Chavez controlled at least the first 3 rounds if not the first 4 and landed at will whenever he threw all night,

Katsidis is just way too easy to hit, and his power against world class guys is obviously not what it was in Australia, he got kayoed by Casamayor, never had Diaz in any trouble, and landed some bone crushing shots on shot, old blown up feather Chavez and never knocked him off his feet or had him in any serious trouble,

people keep comparing Katsidis to Gatti but he just doesn't have anywhere near the one punch power that Gatti brought to the table, Freddie Roach has been hired by a lot of fighters of late, but I really think Katsidis would benefit greatly if he could land Roach as his trainer, he needs to get rid of the guy he has now who is trying to turn him into a boxer and be himself, a face first pressuring slugger,

diggity
04-05-2009, 04:40 PM
I don't think Valero-Katsidis tell us much either. Despite Katsidis' ruggedness, I say Valero KOs him early.

doomeddisciple
04-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Um, to Katsidis' defence on his power "not being obviously what it was in Australia" - Guys - We'd be lucky to have 20 decent lightweight fighters active in Australia I reckon. He certainly hasn't been padding his record with Aussie fighters, he's had to build himself up against the entire south pacific with such world beaters as the Eausampan brothers (brother A KO 1, brother B KO 2).

The fact he put Casamayor through the ropes at one stage in his fight shows he has some pop - His lack of defence is more the issue and I guess because he's around 130, caucasian and bleeds a lot the Gatti reference was always going to come.

I completely agree he needs to get a new trainer and move to the US or somewhere that he can actually get some better sparring.

He sure as heck ain't getting much down under.

That said, Valero or a Khan fight would be good fun while either lasted.

StingerKarl
04-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Undefefeated Venezuelan lightweight Edwin
Valero ran his ring record to a perfect 25-0, with 25 knockouts by stopping outgunned Antonio Pitalua (46-4) for the vacant WBC Lightweight championship at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas on Saturday night on yet another winning Golden Boy Promotions Texas boxing card.

The awkward, yet powerful Venezuelan simply overwhelmed his smaller opponent from the start, landing southpaw jabs and clubbing lefts whenever and wherever he pleased. A swinging right hook dropped the Colombian seconds into the start of the second round as he had to use the ropes to steady himself, and Valero deposited him once again onto the floor seconds later with a volley of lefts and rights.
Pitalua beat the count, but it was over seconds later when Valero punched him around on shaky legs and right into referee Cole who waved it off at the 49 second mark.

Edwin Valero leaves a lot to be desired as a fighter, however. He is wide open as he stands straight up and leaves his chin exposed in the air like a ship's mast.

When Valero punches, he brings his hands back dangerously low to the hip level, lunges in at his opponent leaving himself free and open, and has no defense whatsoever to speak of that this writer can see. Valero is the hardest puncher in the lightweight rankings, but needless to say, needs a whole lot of work, preferably learning a bit of boxing 101 before getting in there with the division's elite.

Powerful Australian lightweight Michael Katsidis (25-2, 21 KO's) may have ended the career of former lightweight champion Jesus Chavez (44-5, 30 KO's) by administering a thorough beating to the former titlist in front of his hometown crowd. Chavez landed some good punches on the aggressive Ausssie, but it was apparent from the outset that he had neither the power nor the strength to keep Katsidis off of him for any extended period of time.

Katsidis drove Chavez back to the ropes time and again throughout a heated first four rounds, and then opened a cut high on his forehead in some furious infighting in round five that bled heavily from that point onward. Katsidis hammered a fatigued and discouraged Chavez from pillar to post in the sixth and seventh, and Chavez called it quits in the corner at the end of the seventh round.

The San Antonio crowed was very unsportsmanlike, booing Katsidis loudly at every available opportunity, and some bums disguised as fight fans actually threw refuse at him as he exited the ring.

2004 Olympian Vicente Escobedo (20-1,12 KO's) scored the biggest win of his career with a dominant and bloody, yet hard fought victory over former jr. lightweight titlist Carlos Hernandez (43-8-1, 24 KO's) in a fight that thrilled the crowd in attendance. The Nacho Beristain trained Escobed dropped Hernandez in each of the first two rounds with heavy right hand counters, but the wily old veteran gamely fough back and made a fight of it.

The action featured many toe to toe exchanges, but Escobedo was the better technician and most always finished on toip with his crisper and more precise left hooks, jabs, and sizzling right hands. Hernandez was awarded a knockdown in the sixth as he stepped on Escobedo's feet and swung a right to the ribs as Escobedo fell off balance to the floor unhurt.

The final four rounds saw Escobedo hitting Hernandez with everything but the ringpost, but the game ex-champion fought back hard through the pain and blood, and closed strong by winning the final round over his younger foe.

It was too little, too late however as Escobedo pulled out the unanimous decision.

Rolando Reyes (31-4-2, 20 KO's) upset former IBF Lightweight titleholder Julio Diaz (36-5, 26 KO's) with a 5th round TKO. Diaz appeared listless and just going through the motions as he pawed with his jab while advancing forward, and neither fighter did a whole lot of anything in the first several rounds as the crowd booed loudly at the end of every round.

Reyes landed a couple of nice right counters in the first four rounds as Diaz looked nothing like the fighter that once struck fear in the hearts of every champion and contender lin the lightweight division. Reyes jumped into action in the fifth, nailing the slow Diaz with a right hand a follow up hook which sent Julio crashing to the canvas.

Diaz beat the count but was met with a volley of lefts and rights as he attempted to hold on, but Reyes spun him and punched him once more to the floor with a hook and right hand and referee Alvarez waved the contest off at the 2:17 mark to the delight of the crowd.

Julio has always been one of the nice guys in boxing, and has carried himself as a good ambassador for the sport, and this writer hopes he will call it a career at this point as he has nothing left to prove and is far past his peak as a fighter.

The arena appeared to be about 2/3 full as the promotion was competing with the Texas Relays at the University of Texas, but Golden Boy did yet another outstanding job with their boxing product in the Lone Star State. The Italian buffet for the media was superb, and our thanks go out to Public Relations Director Ramiro Gonzalez, and Public Relations Coordinator, Monica Sears.

See you next time!

Karl Hegman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by StingerKarl; Today at 10:43 PM.

TKO Tom
04-06-2009, 08:46 AM
I think Karl summed up Valero's deficiencies in wonderful prose. Kiernan Mulvaney, who was at the fight, said much the same.

Maybe Alcazar can straighten Valero out. If he doesn't, history has proven what happens to big punchers that are technically challenged.

Nuff said.

prototypeofamodernmadman
04-06-2009, 04:46 PM
doomedisciple - yea, I guess Katsidis does have some considerable pop in his gloves, I was being over critical, I think the real problem now, and this didn't seem to be the case in the Casamayor fight, but his trainer has him fighting in such a style that he isn't able to effectively land his shots as flush as he was before,

it's like Katsidis got hit so much with his constant forward pressure style in the Casamayor fight, and his trainers obviously tried to change his style where now he tries to control distance in the center of the ring and bounce around more,

and I don't see this style suiting him at all, even as elusive a target as Casamayor was, Katsidis in that fight, busted him up and landed a lot of leather, with the style they have him employing now, seems to have him off his game a little with timing and punching angles,

Valero, I wont be sold on him until he fights someone in the world rated top ten, he hasn't come anywhere close to that yet, he's calling out Pac and that's ridiculous,

Crold1
04-06-2009, 07:34 PM
What top ten are you talking about? Pitalua and Mosquera were both considered, rightly when he beat them, top ten in their classes. Are you saying top ten P4P...because if so you aren't sold on many fighters being worth much.

diggity
04-06-2009, 09:01 PM
If anyone questions that he doesn't belong should find themselves the Mosquera fight. When Valero realized Mosquera wasn't going anywhere quickly, he actually settled down some & boxed.

I think that fight ended his 1st round KO streak or something didn't it?

Crold1
04-06-2009, 11:04 PM
No; that was broke one fight prior. Anyone who hasn't seen Mosquera...it's on You Tube.

Mike DeLisa
04-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Valero is deceptive -- he is hard to hit and mixes his punches well. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Paq except Valero will hammer you to the body if he gets the chance.

He is confident, young, strong, and fearless.

Welcome Valero!

prototypeofamodernmadman
04-07-2009, 01:15 AM
ok, I see that Pitalua was ranked in the top ten, I was thinking of more established real world class guys when I made that statement, like any of the three Diaz', Casamayor, Nate Campbell (out of the question now with the weight issues) Marquez of course, but he needs some more seasoning for sure, or maybe not, maybe he really is someone really special and will bull everyone over, we'll see.

Off The River
04-07-2009, 06:31 AM
I saw him fight some Japanese dude last year. The fight went maybe five or six rounds. The Japanese fighter had a string of sometinh like seven straight knock outs.

What impressed me most was the fact that Valero took some pretty heavy leather during the bout and it didn't bother him much. I know he is crude, but if his chin can hold up like it did in that match, then he will be a hard guy to beat.

Crold1
04-07-2009, 07:23 AM
ok, I see that Pitalua was ranked in the top ten, I was thinking of more established real world class guys when I made that statement, like any of the three Diaz', Casamayor, Nate Campbell (out of the question now with the weight issues) Marquez of course, but he needs some more seasoning for sure, or maybe not, maybe he really is someone really special and will bull everyone over, we'll see.

Two of the Diaz's aren't that good and Joel is OLD. Mosquera is more impressive than any of ther above, especially David Diaz. Don't get too caught up in names.

diggity
04-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Two of the Diaz's aren't that good and Joel is OLD. Mosquera is more impressive than any of ther above, especially David Diaz. Don't get too caught up in names.

Agreed.
If you want to see good Mosquera action elsewhere, look up his war with Yodsinan 3K Battery a couple of years ago.