PDA

View Full Version : Earnie Shavers KO1 Jimmy Ellis

Overhand_Right
07-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Hello gents

As there are plenty of people round CBZ old enough to recall it actually happening, does anbody know if Shavers-Ellis was broadcast in real time?

I'm sure like most of us I've only ever seen it in that kind of odd news report type version.

Does anybody know if a regular version exists?

Mike DeLisa
07-01-2009, 09:54 AM
It was not broadcast live in any form.

Overhand_Right
07-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Ah, too bad.

I wonder if the recording still exists before they chopped it all up into highlight form.

I hope so.

Mike DeLisa
07-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Yes, the complete card is in the possession of Don King -- along with virtuallly every other fight he managed or promoted.

I have been in his vault -- it is amazing!

But forget getting copies!

Overhand_Right
07-02-2009, 05:30 AM
NO FRICKIN WAY.

How did you get in there?

Did you raise the issue of getting copies?

Exactly what does DK want to do with his classic library - besides let it collect dust?

Why don't you just rampage in there with a gun?

Ron Lipton
07-06-2009, 02:38 AM
Hello gents

As there are plenty of people round CBZ old enough to recall it actually happening, does anbody know if Shavers-Ellis was broadcast in real time?

I'm sure like most of us I've only ever seen it in that kind of odd news report type version.

Does anybody know if a regular version exists?

R. I was at the fight ringside and saw it happen, and then afterwards just hi lites of the Ko on film.

Overhand_Right
07-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Bloody hell Ron, what a fight to be ringside for!

What was the atmos like in the garden that night? How did a peak Earnie Shavers look in the flesh to you?

bodyblow
07-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Ive got the whole fight, which isnt very long, on tape. I was amazed that Ellis took the fight to Shavers and kind of had Shavers shaken up in the corner before getting caught and stopped.

hawk5ins
07-06-2009, 05:20 PM
include Ellis puking up a lung?

I recall TKO11 visualizing that for me in a tape that he saw and now I can't ever think about that bout with out that image.

Thanks Cliff!

Hawk

bodyblow
07-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Nope, no puking. Looks like Ellis might drool a lil bit as hes trying to get up from the knockdown but I might even be imagining that. He gets up and does a nifty drunk dance towards the ropes and the ref holds him in a corner and waves off the fight.

Mike DeLisa
07-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Bobby Goodman, a great guy, took me in to see the vault when I interviewed Goodman for my doc on The Super Fight between Ali & Marciano.

King actually has his own television production facilities In Florida -- the vault is just one small part.

Overhand_Right
07-07-2009, 05:30 AM
Ah so there is a full video out there at least - that's a relief!

mrbig1
07-08-2009, 12:16 PM
You guys need to help me out because I'm old. I understand That Ellis before being KO broke Shavers jaw. Is that true? I read that in the ring just after the fight took place.

bodyblow
07-09-2009, 06:27 PM
I dont know if its true but like I said in my post he sure was taking it to Shavers right before the knockout and seemingly had Shavers hurt and in trouble. I can believe it. He was landing good shots.

brutu
07-23-2009, 06:35 PM
I think Shaver's vrs Ellis was telecast on cable television(?HBO).
Thats around the time that HBO came about,but it may have been another cable channel.
Originally that fight at Madison Square Garden was scheduled to be
Oscar Bonavena vrs Jerry Quarry,but Bonavena got hurt.
Gil Clancey still wanted Quarry to fight since he had been training for a month and needed the money,so they found Earnie Shavers as a substitute,however then Quarry got the flu bug,so then Teddy Brenner found Jimmy Ellis to fight Shavers for the fight date.
June-18-1973.

brutu
07-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Its was Jeff Merrit who broke Shavers jaw while sparring at Grossinger's ,when Shavers was getting ready to fight Quarry originally scheduled for
July-25-1973 at MSG.So Quarry vrs Shavers was re-scheduled for
December-14-1973.

PeteLeo
07-24-2009, 02:08 AM
Its was Jeff Merrit who broke Shavers jaw while sparring at Grossinger's ,when Shavers was getting ready to fight Quarry originally scheduled for
July-25-1973 at MSG.So Quarry vrs Shavers was re-scheduled for
December-14-1973.

I tried to post this info five freaking times, and in every instance the message was dumped before appearing (I've had this problem on no other thread). Thanks for getting it through. PeteLeo.

wolgast
07-24-2009, 11:00 PM
The fight was promoted by Madison Square Garden so I am surprised to hear that only King has a copy. He was Shavers' manager at the time, not the promoter of the fight.

brutu
07-25-2009, 05:59 PM
This comes from the book,
ONLY THE RING WAS SQUARE
by Teddy Brenner(as told to Barney Nagler)published in 1981.
pp-115-116.
"They told me(Teddy Brenner)to go ahead and get a substitute,because the fight would be shown on cable tv and that would be the first time for this kind of telecast from the Garden.
It was going to be coast-to-coast.
So I called Don King and Said"look,I can get Jimmy Ellis to fight Shavers.He used to be the world heavyweight champion and still means something".

newpoppop
08-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Ah so there is a full video out there at least - that's a relief!

This may not be what you're looking for, but YouTube has its own:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VsAhEugnsc

sweetsci
08-01-2009, 10:57 PM
According to HBO's website, the Shavers-Ellis fight was their second boxing broadcast. http://www.hbo.com/boxing/past_fights/1973.html

brutu
08-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Wasnt the first Joe Frazier vrs George Foreman fight on closed-circuit?
maybe the Shavers vrs Ellis fight was their first live broadcast.

Mike DeLisa
08-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Not sure but the HBO list seems incomplete -- didn't they broadcast the Bobick-Middleton and Sosa-Douglas bouts?

I recall watching that in 1976

brutu
08-13-2009, 04:02 PM
For a long time I had on a tape I bought on E-Bay,that included the
Quarry vrs Shavers fight.However it began when the bell rang and ended when the ref stopped the fight.
A couple of years ago I saw it on you tube however that version included the ring introductions of past and present fighters annouced in the ring,including Muhammad Ali,Joe Frazier whoclowned around,also the then heavyweight champ George Foreman who was resoundly boooed of course.It added an enterily new setting for the context of the Quarry/Shavers fight,made it more important bout.
I wonder what the beginning of the Shavers vrs Ellis fight was like at MSG.