PDA

View Full Version : Was Joe Frazier left handed or a southpaw?

sr71ko
08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
I keep hearing from a few old school guys that Joe Frazier should be recognized as the first southpaw heavyweight champ instead of Michael Moorer. Been told that Frazier was naturally left handed. Never really thought about it, but it would kind of make sense because Frazier along with Dempsey may have had the greatest left hook of all time. So what is the skinny on Frazier being a southpaw or not?

Michael Frank
08-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes, Frazier was a southpaw, no, he didn't fight in a southpaw stance. Same with Cooney. And others.

I don't see why Frazier should be credited as a southpaw for these purposes as it seems to me a convoluted way to give him credit. The whole point was that he fought as a righty intentionally, to get fights as I recall. He didn't win fights as a lefty, he won them as a righty. Why would it make a difference if he throws a ball left-handed or writes left-handed; he fights right-handed.

For comparison, in baseball there are many lefties who bat righty and vice versa. They are credited as to batting stats and records based on the batting stance they take, not whether they write or throw left-handed or right-handed.

sr71ko
08-24-2009, 03:02 PM
To further prove your point I never had thought of Frazier as a southpaw at all. The fact that he was naturally left handed is news to me. I knew that about Hagler because he switched from lefty to righty all time. I did hear that about Delahoya and Cooney(about being naturally left handed). Well you learn something new every day.