PDA

View Full Version : What are the guidelines for just how high boxing trunks can be?

sr71ko
09-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Is is it just me or does it seem like every fighter today has their trunks up to their chests? I don't recall a time when boxing trunks appear to be so high. I remember all the great body punchers like Zale, Frazier, Marciano, Robinson, LaMotta, etc. Every time I watch a fight I can't tell if it is really a low blow or not because the trunks appear to be just below the chest instead of below the waist. This takes away from body punching and should be addressed more often in my opinion. Therefore, what are the guidelines for just how high boxing trunks can be or not?

Kyoodle
09-09-2009, 12:36 AM
I always thought it was referee's discretion, but I could be wrong. I checked out the ABC's rulebook, but there is no reference to the subject therein.

As is the case with facial hair, which is usually addressed well before fight time if it is considered to be an issue (abrasiveness; could be a "shock absorber--which I always found to be a ludicrous assumption), it is one of those things that should be within the purview of the referee. Common sense dictates that a fighter shouldn't walk into the ring with his trunks up under his armpits, a la any boxing scene from "The Bowery Boys" or the Three Stooges.

Mills Lane used to be one of the best guys, as far as attention to detail was concerned, in high profile bouts. Here in the northeast I used to like the way referees Tony Orlando, Rudy Battle and Larry Hazzard used to enforce conformity with common sense re: a fighter's trunks being too high and anything else that came up. Maybe Ron Lipton can chime in here with a REAL expert opinion for us?

Mike DeLisa
09-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Check out Hagler -- up to his armpits!

My belief is you should be able to see half of a fighter's navel. (yes, of course: the top half!!)

hawk5ins
09-10-2009, 08:00 AM
of the "too high trunks" over the past 10 to 15 years HAS to be Razor Rudduck.

He CONSISTANTLY came into the ring with his trunks about 3 or 4 inches south of his Pecs.

And he never got called on it.

Then there was Butterbean......but that had more to do with the laws of physics than anything else.

Hawk

10-8
09-10-2009, 10:29 AM
of the "too high trunks" over the past 10 to 15 years HAS to be Razor Rudduck.

He CONSISTANTLY came into the ring with his trunks about 3 or 4 inches south of his Pecs.Tony Tubbs could have wore his trunks at his knees and they'd still only be 3 or 4 inches south of his pecs.

TDKO
09-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Camacho Sr's trunks seemed to get higher and higher as he got older and older....

Danger in "Million Dollar Baby" wore his trunks kinda high, maybe another reason
he got his ass kicked in the movie.....

hawk5ins
09-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Breasts is a whole 'Nother issue!

HA!

Hawk

jim glen
09-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't know BUT there should be one for how long and low they where them now!

Boxscribe
09-11-2009, 04:12 AM
The definition (for amateurs at least) is an imaginary line accross the top of the hips that runs through the Navel.

I suppose it doesn't matter how high the trunks are, but where the ref call the line.

I seem to remember Mills Lane (poss someone else) saying "this is low, this is ok" whilst pointing at the fighter's waistband (or lower in some cases). At the end of the day, it is the ref who calls the foul.