PDA

View Full Version : Among the Slimiest People On Television

PeteLeo
11-01-2005, 03:48 AM
Is anyone more dripping with mucoid secretions than self-described "psychic to the dead" Sylvia Browne?
I have very little respect left for Montel Williams in any case (he started rather strong but swiftly deteriorated into just another Oprah-wannabe), but his program reaches the absolute nadir when he has this smirking, conceited, oozing pustule of a person spreading her fat ass on his couch and advising people who are grieving the recent losses of loved ones that "there really isn't anything such as death." Some may say she's providing comfort, but to me her snotty dismissal of actual human emotions is disgusting.
Then she starts with the time-"honored" tactic of "cold reading," asking broad questions that she can adapt to any answer and thus "prove" her mental handshake with the "spirit world." The wrong guesses she makes fill the air -- boy, the "dead" must really mumble badly when "speaking" to her --, but with the willing cooperation of Williams, this shameless huckster turns every apparent failure on its head and makes it bark like a dog to shore up the foundations of her . . . "uniqueness," I guess you could call it.
Penn & Teller and "South Park" have already ripped another famous hack a new one (remember the "S.P." episode entitled, "John Edwards, Biggest Douche In the Universe"?), so I hope they turn their laser gazes on the fatuous Browne before the current season ends.
Desperate and desperately sad people will fall for anything, and bottomfeeders like Browne and Edwards will always be right there to trade false comfort and hope for the last dimes in their targets' pockets. PeteLeo.

DscribeDC
11-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Yeah, TV is full of these screwballs. James Van Pragh is another. People are gullible marks. And there will always be those who will take their money. Equally as ridiculous is the "pet psychic" on Animal Planet, some woman who claims to be able to read pets' minds. Unbelievable. But TV is dripping with sleaze at every level. Just look at the way network news divisions exploit people's misery in the guise of doing "triumph of the human spirit" stories.

My personal vote for sleaziest is the 20/20 team that did a story on the pimpin' life a few years ago, going so far as to ride along and film a pimp trying to recover a girl who had run away. They're basically aiding and abetting a crime, and nobody seems to give a damn, as long as they get pictures of it.

Dan Gunter
11-07-2005, 09:22 PM
The James Randi website frequently rips into these folks and exposes their techniques.

It is sad: they typically prey on sorrow.

PeteLeo
11-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Regarding the 20/20 piece, something rather like that occurred on a local newscast down here in the good old South about a decade or so ago. The news department was informed by a lunatic that he planned to set himself on fire to protest -- jeeze, something or other (I honestly don't remember, though it may have been Bush Sr. and the First Gulf Conflict). Anyhow, instead of informing the authorities, the news folk sent a camera crew to the rural site where the nutball claimed he would do the deed.
By golly, he was there and drunk as a skunk. I've seen the footage in a bootleg tape, and the asshole rambles on a couple of minutes, barely able to manipulate his lips anymore, before sitting down and pouring an accelerant (it may have been more booze) over his lower regions.
Then he lights it.
Then he watches it burn for a few nano-seconds.
Then he runs screaming through the night looking like nothing so much as a flaming meteor.
I nearly laughed my butt off. I'm your basic heartless male jerk, I know, but I usually restrain my chortling in actual cases of tragedy. This time I simply couldn't hold it inside. Here's this moron who seems to think he's a Buddhist monk committing suicide for a real cause, and when the heat burns through the veneer of alcohol insulation, his resolve changes to shrieking realization that he's done about the most ridiculously insane thing imaginable. My guys and I were rolling on the floor.
The upshot of it all is that the news station received legal sanctions for not reporting the incident beforehand (and at least tacitedly supporting it for ratings), and the reformed political protestor -- now a Krispy Kritter from the waist down -- sued them and won a hefty settlement because he was such a dumbass.
Another highpoint in American broadcasting. PeteLeo.

BDeskins
11-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Pat Robertson immediately comes to mind, but the slimiest dirt-bag on television, in my eyes, would go to Robert Novak…but then again, I’m not sure if he is even on television any more!

Although any person that would try for personal gain through someone else’s misery would be, without a doubt, the absolute worst kind of human being, but I never watch any of those types of shows on television

kikibalt
11-12-2005, 04:03 PM
BD.
I agree with you 100% on Robert Novak.
That guy is a dick, an will be a dick all his life

Frank B.

TKO11
11-13-2005, 01:09 AM
He is too much of a c*nt to be a dick.

BDeskins
11-14-2005, 05:04 AM
>>>He is too much of a c*nt to be a dick.<<<

True...a combination of both...I've heard that he is in pretty bad shape physically...guess all of those years of playing holier than thou toward people of a lower income bracket than himself has come back to haunt him. I certainly do not like to see anyone suffer, but there are some that deserve it more so than others!

Steve Coughlin
11-15-2005, 03:14 PM
I have a hard time not "Elvising" the TV whenever these two dolts are on it. I'm not sure who lies more often but they both do it regularly.

jyoungfan2
11-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Scumbag convicted of killing that 11 year old girl this morning. reporter asks mother "If you could see your daughter one more time what would you say to her?"

of course he got his soundbite of the mother crying

I would have slapped the reporter and cursed him out saying she's dead, what kind of a stupid question is that. why cause this woman more emotional pain just so you can get your sound byte.

BDeskins
11-18-2005, 01:09 PM
>>>I would have slapped the reporter and cursed him out saying she's dead, what kind of a stupid question is that. why cause this woman more emotional pain just so you can get your sound byte.<<<

There are a lot of reporters that fall into the scumbag category...personally, I think Jim Grey heads up the list in the boxing community.

DscribeDC
11-18-2005, 01:55 PM
I don't know...Jim Grey is the only guy out there who asks the tough questions that are on people's minds. He doesn't lob softballs and try to be pals with people.

The Misery Game is played by all the morning shows to sickening effect. Whether it's broadcasting 911 tapes for shock value, exploiting grieving mothers and praising them for their "inner strength" or showing split screen pix of Dale Earnhardt's crash and his wife watching in the stands, the whole industry has been hijacked by users, parasites and ghouls. Get used to it.

jyoungfan2
11-19-2005, 04:48 AM
unfortunately I have gotten used to it

BDeskins
11-19-2005, 10:44 AM
>>>Jim Grey is the only guy out there who asks the tough questions that are on people's minds. He doesn't lob softballs and try to be pals with people.<<<

If that was all he did, I could live with that, but he beats an issue into the ground and will try to go into a person's personal business without any kind of remorse, or decency.

The Silence Mabuza-Marquez bout is a small example of Grey at his best. Instead of asking some relative questions about the bout and future of the fighters, Grey focused primarily on how the cut was caused, which he went back to several times! I may be a bit over biased, but I just cannot stand Jim Grey at all!