PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Monster Movies

Steve McV
11-01-2005, 05:28 AM
Anybody else enjoy those damn silly Japanese monster movies of the 60's? Taped "Mothra" the other day, watched it today and laughed myself sick. Of course, the Bloody Marys may have had something to do with it, but still...

I swear, some of those old monster movies come under the "so bad they're good" category!

I remember one... can't remember the title... people doing research on some South Sea island are facing a monster that's something like a walking tree. The natives think it's an evil spirit. So the thing is chasing people, mashing them, the party gets away, they reach a hut that has their equipment, are going to discuss what to do... and before they get into the meat of the conversation, they tell their native guides TO WAIT OUTSIDE! And, so help me, they two islanders just walk out!

Honestly, where was Bill Cosby and his famous line involving Tonto? I mean, if I had been directing the movie, one of those naitves would have said, "Wait outside? You go to hell, Kemo Sabay!"

PeteLeo
11-01-2005, 03:47 PM
I think the "walking tree" movie may have been FROM HELL IT CAME, which was actually an American project.
My favorite line from a similar scenario comes from the old TV show "Ramar of the Jungle," in which a poor local (black African) is screaming his lungs out as a crocodile chomps down upon him in the middle of a river, and the God-like White Hunter stops another man from killing the beast by commanding, "Don't shoot! You might hit the native!"

I f'ing love Japanese monster flicks (or many of them, anyway). GODZILLA, FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD, WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS, RODAN, any and everything featuring the most perfect woman to ever step before a camera, the inimitable Kumi Mizuno. PeteLeo.

DscribeDC
11-01-2005, 07:28 PM
I liked GAMMERA, just for the scenes where the monster turtle is attacking the city, while the Japanese teenagers shimmy the night away in a discotheque to a song about him.

jyoungfan2
11-02-2005, 03:49 AM
I grew up watching the japanese monster flicks. gamera, who came up with a giant turtle with jets comming out of his feet? mothra, godzilla, mechagodzilla, the smog monster, the three headed monster, the giant statue of a samurai that comes to life to kill those threatening the village that prays to him. great stuff

Roberto Aqui
11-02-2005, 04:20 PM
I remember watching a Japanese monster movie with subtitles. It's faded in my memory, but basically a group of scientists or perhaps some other group slowly start to turn into fungi. I wish I remembered more about it as it was highly entertaining.

Outside of the Japanese venue, I also remember another grade B movie, USA, with a town of midgets and dwarfs in the old west being plagued by vampires and werewolves. The sheriff packed a pistol full of silver bullets and there was a lot of tension as nobody could trust anybody and they often had to stay up all night to protect themselves or stalk each other. The town was full of little barkeeps, bargirls, blacksmith, ect. The cast delivered their lines perfectly with their own peculiar "little" influence and there was a lot of philosophical overtones in the dialogue. It delivered high camp with a scary movie and good acting. A rare gem and I believe the name of the movie is The Terror of Tiny Town. Only watch it late at night when you know you won't be disturbed, because you will be plenty disturbed after the movie!

PeteLeo
11-03-2005, 06:08 AM
The "people turning into fungus" movie was MATANGO, FUNGUS OF TERROR, a.k.a. ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE. In spite of its laugh-inducing title(s), it was a pretty creepy little flick adapted from an old William Hope Hodgson (spelling?) short story called "The Voice In the Night."
Now, the number one, undisputed reason for watching MATANGO was the perfect presence of none other than a quite young (and quite delectible) Kumi Mizuno. If you've never seen this splendid woman, count yourself a sad and deprived specimen. PeteLeo.

Steve McV
11-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Damn, Pete, but you sure know your movies!

The walking tree thing was American made? Oh my stars and garters... well, hell, it's not like we don't produce our share of grade B, C, D movies... clear down to Z, for that matter.

Was Mizuno the lady who seems to be talking to Raymond Burr at the beginning of the American version of Godzilla? (She wasn't, of course, as all of Burr's scenes were added later, which is why you get the "talking head" camera shots.)

Another terrible/great monster movie was actually made in Sweden, I think. "Reptilicus." Anybody ever see it? Dreadful.

And I'm pretty sure you got Hodgson's name right, if I recall correctly.

PeteLeo
11-03-2005, 02:37 PM
(This message was left blank)

PeteLeo
11-03-2005, 02:45 PM
I don't think that good-looker was Kumi (who got her start in films later, in '57). You're probably remembering Momoko Kochi, who played "Emiko" in the orginial production of GOJIRA and who was integrated into the U.S. version (GODZILLA) through the use of a stand-in during the Burr scenes (the stand-in always has her back to the camera, of course).
Kumi was a glowing presence in flicks like FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD and its sequel WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS as the female scientist (Nick Adams supposedly had a torrid and rather public affair with her during the making of the former), the gorgeous island girl in GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER, and one of the stranded people (the prettiest one, naturally) in the aforementioned MATANGO. I think her daughter became an actress, as well.
REPTILICUS was a piece of tripe, all right. I don't even find it "laughingly bad" (largely because it seemed to have some actual talent behind it, unlike Ed Wood garbage, though it simply tanked all around). Still, those Nordic gals sure are cute, ain't they? PeteLeo.

jyoungfan2
11-04-2005, 04:05 AM
WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS!!, oh my God! My best friends mother took us to see that one at the local drive in. I had forgotten all about it. Remember when the bad gargantua eats that person and spits out a bloddy scalp. nothing like a little hair stuck between your teeth.

Steve McV
11-08-2005, 10:38 PM
I just did a google search for Mizuno.

Found some bikini pictures. Wow.

Pete, I tip my hat to your taste in women, sir. She's quite a beauty. Terrific figure, lovely face, and those unforgettable eyes!

PeteLeo
11-09-2005, 05:54 AM
Here's a little more information than you want to know, I'm sure: watching Kumi on TV around the beginning of the Seventies helped yours truly discover how not to remain "the master of his domain" (Seinfeld reference), ifyouknowwhatImeanandIthinkthatyoudo. PeteLeo.

DscribeDC
11-09-2005, 02:29 PM
...Ah, you never forget your first...<sigh>...

Steve McV
11-11-2005, 09:48 AM
Ahem.

And all this while Tokyo was being destroyed?

"Please return the egg."