PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Art Rust, Jr.

Kyoodle
01-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Mr. Rust was an outstanding sports broadcaster and radio show host here in the New York area for many years. I thought it apropos to post this in the Old-Timers section if only because I think it was Mr. Rust's comfort zone to be discussing the fighters of a vintage era.

He was extremely opinionated and well-informed as to boxing history, and was a real joy to listen and speak to over the years.

Rest in Peace, Arthur George Rust, Jr.

http://blackathlete.net/artman2/publish/Reflections_52/Art_Rust_Jr_1927-2010.shtml

Kyoodle

phlboxarc
01-15-2010, 01:46 AM
From the June, 1958, RING Magazine, page 51.

ART RUSK
Art Rusk, born and bred in New York City, at thirty years of age is one of the youngest sportscasters in the big town. As the sports director of station WWRL he conducts among other programs his Sports Roundup at 10:15 nightly.

In addition to radio and television Rusk is a boxing writer for the newspaper, NEW YORK AMSTERDAM NEWS. His ambition is to do blow by blow announcing of boxing matches.

A conservative dresser and likeable gentleman with a wry sense of humor Rusk is popular with the members of the Boxing Writer's and Sports Broadcasters Association, to which he belongs.

Art has been a sports fanatic since he was five years old...he saw his first world series in 1933 and as he says: "My father took me to so many baseball games in the ensuing years that I was practically raised in the Polo Grounds and the Yankee Stadium."

Soft spoken Art is a graduate of Long Island University, B.S. in chemistry in 1949, where he was an outstanding player on both the basketball and baseball teams.

A fast rising young man in the sports world he is efficient and his work is well received by fans as well as his conferees in radio and in the newspaper world.

*the bio also show a picture of the dapper young bespecled Rusk behind the WWRL microphone. *

Kyoodle
01-15-2010, 08:00 PM
From the June, 1958, RING Magazine, page 51.

ART RUSK
Art Rusk, born and bred in New York City, at thirty years of age is one of the youngest sportscasters in the big town. As the sports director of station WWRL he conducts among other programs his Sports Roundup at 10:15 nightly.

In addition to radio and television Rusk is a boxing writer for the newspaper, NEW YORK AMSTERDAM NEWS. His ambition is to do blow by blow announcing of boxing matches.

A conservative dresser and likeable gentleman with a wry sense of humor Rusk is popular with the members of the Boxing Writer's and Sports Broadcasters Association, to which he belongs.

Art has been a sports fanatic since he was five years old...he saw his first world series in 1933 and as he says: "My father took me to so many baseball games in the ensuing years that I was practically raised in the Polo Grounds and the Yankee Stadium."

Soft spoken Art is a graduate of Long Island University, B.S. in chemistry in 1949, where he was an outstanding player on both the basketball and baseball teams.

A fast rising young man in the sports world he is efficient and his work is well received by fans as well as his conferees in radio and in the newspaper world.

*the bio also show a picture of the dapper young bespecled Rusk behind the WWRL microphone. *

Nice early article; too bad about the typo on the name, though.

Kyoodle

phlboxarc
01-16-2010, 12:20 AM
Kyoodle, thats how the RING spelled it (I rechecked). I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out.

Kyoodle
01-16-2010, 01:38 AM
PBA:

I meant that the typo was RING's and not yours ;-) I'm too lazy to dig out that particular issue, but I'm sure it was just a lack of due diligence on the reporter's part.

Thanks for posting that one, in any event.

Regards,
Kyoodle

Randy Gordon
01-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Yes, his last name was RUST, not RUSK. It used to drive him crazy when callers called him RUSK. One time, while in-studio with him, a caller said, "I have one question for you Mr. Rusk, and another for Mr. Gordon." Politely, he said, "It's Rust. R-U-S-T. Rust, as in oxidation." The caller just mumbled, "Huh?" After we hung up and went to a break, Art shook his head, looked at me and said, "Why can't they get my name correct?"

-Randy G.

phlboxarc
01-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Kyoodle, I wasn't trying to exonerate myself by using higher case letters to spell the RING. I always do that when I spell the name of a publication. At first I thought it was my mistake.

Kyoodle
01-16-2010, 08:30 PM
PhillyBA:

And I *always* use the upper case letters when referencing The RING Magazine and Encyclopedia; the Philadelphia INQUIRER; the Newark STAR-LEDGER, etc.

I wasn't making any type of critical or copycat response when I answered you, my friend. Just a lifelong habit I have when quoting publications; I don't even know if that is grammatically-correct, but I've been doing it so long now I don't care, LOL.

Regards,
Kyoodle

slakka
01-17-2010, 11:46 PM
kyoodle we need to talk about the Bayonne Globetrotter please!

How to proceed?