PDA

View Full Version : RIP Alan Rosenfeld

Mike DeLisa
01-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Jan 16, 2010

BOXING "GOOD GUY" ALLEN ROSENFELD PASSES AWAY

- Ron Ross

Allen Rosenfeld, boxing historian, writer and author of the highly acclaimed "Charley Burley, The Life & Hard Times of an Uncrowned Champion" lost a hard fought battle to leukemia Saturday on his 79th birthday. Allen was my dear friend and his passing leaves a great void. Then again, Allen was a friend to all who knew him in the boxing community. To know him was to love him. He was this sweet-natured, gentle guy who had that special ability to bring a smile to the faces of all around him.

Next to his loving wife Ruth, his daughters Nancy and Jennifer and granddaughter Millie, the boxing world was his passion, which, in itself, was as easy to accept as trying to squeeze a square peg in a round hole - it simply didn't fit. Allen Rosenfeld conjured up an image of a smile and gentle pat on the cheek, not a snarl and punch on the jaw.

A Michigan native, Allen received a Master's Degree from Wayne State University then joined the family's real estate business, which became his life-long "primary" career, but it was his "secondary" career, that of a "gym rat" that was his true passion. The romantic lure of Times Square, Madison Square Garden and Stillman's Gym drew Rosenfeld like a magnet. Still a teenager, he would make the 300-mile drive from Michigan to New York in a jalopy with some friends just to share in the atmosphere of Lou Stillman's world-renowned fistic emporium. He boxed as an amateur in the 1940's-50's and in the service. He wasn't a champ. He was just a guy doing something that he loved.To Allen, it wasn't about winning or losing - it was about being a part of a world that was his Camelot and all the knights in this world shed their suits of armor for satin shorts and leather gloves. His passion led him to become a boxing writer for Boxing & Wrestling Illustrated and Ring Magazine.

I'm going to miss those frequent packages in the mail of boxing articles and tidbits of interest that he would send to make sure I was kept abreast of all recent and historic information. I'm going to miss his way of making you feel good about yourself and mostly I'm going to miss his true friendship.

From fighters he wrote about to fellow scribes, historians and just anyone that happened to make his acquaintance in the boxing community, his loss will be felt but Allen Rosenfeld will not be soon forgotten. His strongly researched and magnificently crafted biography of Charley Burley will serve as his legacy to that world.

Farewell, dear friend.

Ron Lipton
01-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Sorry to hear that,
R.I.P. Allen, very sad to learn of this.
blessings to his family,

Ron

Kyoodle
01-21-2010, 12:49 AM
My sincere condolences, Mike. Mr. Rosenfeld's book is one of those "must have's" for any boxing library; a real labor of love, judging from the incredible detail and heartfelt writing it contained, and it ranks right up there with "The Sweet Science" and "In This Corner", among my all-time boxing faves.

May he rest in peace,

Kyoodle

Surf-Bat
01-21-2010, 03:22 AM
I had the pleasure of talking with him for about an hour over the phone last summer. Such an engaging man! And still so enthusiastic about boxing. I could tell that he just absolutely loved talking boxing history with a fellow fan. I told him a few facts he didn't know and he got as excited as a little kid on Christmas: "Hey, that's good stuff! Thanks for telling me that!" He gave me more than a fair share of the gems he's uncovered over the years as well. A generous man he was indeed.

What a loss for all of us.....

slakka
01-23-2010, 02:31 AM
Hell, Alan was a gent!!
This news really sucks. Had total recall of Detroit fights from the early 40s.

Rest in peace sir!

GPater11093
01-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Oh this is terrible news.

As many know I have being trying to track down Oakland Billy Smith and I was looking to contact Mr Rosenfeld, I phoned afew times but got no answer. I was going to write a letter to him.

This is absoloutly horrible news, my condolences go to his family.

Also his book on Charley Burley is a must have for boxing fans