Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pac-Clottey Results & Discussion, March/13/10

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Pac-Clottey Results & Discussion, March/13/10

Noted trainer, author & boxing historian, CBZ stalwart, Adam Pollack will do the honors for this fight. Personally I think Clottey is a real, live, dog as long as he can adapt to Pac's speed. We shall see ...

Please keep all discussion of this card to this thread. Redundant threads will be deleted.

thanks,

GorDoom

vCash

Re: Pac-Clottey Results & Discussion, March/13/10

I like the Pacman in this. Footwork.

Clottey wants/needs guys at 12:00. I think Clottey is a plodder of the highest standards. Left foot forward, one step, second step, halt. I'm not sure he gets on his toes to walk up the stairs entering the ring. A southpaw mover means Clottey has to hit a moving target. And his defense is not good enough to slip quick punches.

He hangs tough, but he needs to land a timing shot that catches Manny coming in & I just haven't ever seen Joshua landing those kinds of punches==those kind thrown to an area a guy is moving into as opposed to a punch at a target.

And he needs to win about 9 or 10 rounds to win a split decision in this.

vCash

I like Pac by decision though I fear his days are getting numbered.

Pac took more punishment from Cotto than he let on and and his style is NOT made for longevity. Clottey will probably weigh at leat 160 at fight time and once again will be a bigger and stronger guy that Manny has to overcome with skill and heart.

Clottey is pretty durable so I will be surprised to see Manny cleanly floor him. Manny also has to resist the urge to KO Clottey. As long as he is outworking and winning the rounds that's most important. If he tries to put an exclamation point on the win for the fans he could start loading up and get careless. Clottey's static style should play nicely into Manny's versatility and angles.

I want to enjoy Manny while he's at the top of his game because I have a feeling the roof is about to cave in on him within his next few fights if he keeps facing these natural welters.

Personally I'd like to see him matched with Mayweather after this one (I'm assuming Manny wins) then retire.

vCash

Clotty does not throw enough punches because he is so determained to defend. He does open up when the other fighter gets on in the bout and he feels its safe. Manny is not ever gonna slow up and tire and he will throw and throw and throw and move and move and move. JOsh is the bigger guy, but MaNNY is a welter now with welter sock enough to sting. Manny to stop Josh is my call.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 10-8
    I like Pac by decision though I fear his days are getting numbered.

Pac took more punishment from Cotto than he let on and and his style is NOT made for longevity. Clottey will probably weigh at leat 160 at fight time and once again will be a bigger and stronger guy that Manny has to overcome with skill and heart.

Clottey is pretty durable so I will be surprised to see Manny cleanly floor him. Manny also has to resist the urge to KO Clottey. As long as he is outworking and winning the rounds that's most important. If he tries to put an exclamation point on the win for the fans he could start loading up and get careless. Clottey's static style should play nicely into Manny's versatility and angles.

I want to enjoy Manny while he's at the top of his game because I have a feeling the roof is about to cave in on him within his next few fights if he keeps facing these natural welters.

Personally I'd like to see him matched with Mayweather after this one (I'm assuming Manny wins) then retire.
    I'm w you ! Good post ...

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Manny Pacquiao vs Joshua Clottey Boxing Betting Line
    By Brad Marchetti, Doghouse Boxing

Tonight the biggest fight of 2010 will sound off when Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey trade blows at 11 PM ET on HBO PPV (Pay-per-view). Pacquiao, 50-3-2, 38 KO’s, is regarded as the 2nd best pound-4-pound fighter on the planet and will be facing a stiff challenge against the 5th ranked Clottey, 35-3, 20 KO’s. Will

Pacquiao finally slip up after winning 11 straight title fights? Below is a winning selection with exclusive Marchetti skill ratings to cash in at the betting window. The Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey Betting Line has Pacquiao as a -700 favorite.

Manny Pacquiao is one of those great fighters that come around every 10 years or so. Joshua Clottey is a very durable and skilled contender that does everything well but nothing great. Clottey’s fatal flaw of being too defensive and not throwing enough punches will cost him against Pacquiao. Clottey can’t win a fight by just blocking shots and letting the faster, more powerful Pacquiao outpoint him. Clottey will win a few rounds on the strength on his jab and counter-punching but he will take a beating late in the fight when he fades.

The Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey Total is at 9.5 Rounds with the Over at -175.

Clottey’s only real shot of winning will be to KO Pacquiao but he lacks the power and killer instinct to due so. Clottey is the bigger fighter but Pacquiao has added a great deal of muscle too his upper body and his strength is being underestimated. Expect Clottey to last the distance because of his incredible resiliency only to lose big on the scorecards.

vCash

Manny Pacquiao-Joshua Clottey:Pre-Fight Report Card

By Cliff Rold

It remains to be seen just how big an event “The Event” will be outside Cowboys Stadium on Saturday night. With over 40,000 tickets already sold, it will look the part. Pay-per-view sales, particularly in contrast to May’s pending Floyd Mayweather-Shane Mosley fight, will be careful observed. A single certainty exists.

There will definitely be a fight.

By the time the main event is over, viewers may be saying they saw one hell of a fight. The cut and trim combatants weighed in on Friday, and the clash of styles promises violence. There will be those still frustrated that this fight isn’t THE fight (Pacquiao-Mayweather…duh) they were hoping for.

It’s a fair frustration.

Wipe it away and look at this for what it is, rather than isn’t, and what emerges is something any fight fan would have been happy with. The pound for pound leader is in with perhaps the biggest, certainly the most durable, fighter he’s ever seen. They both are among the top five Welterweights in the world, a class perceived among the best in the game.

And neither ever makes a boring night.

Let’s go to the report card.

The Ledgers

Manny Pacquiao
    Current Titles: WBO Welterweight, 2009-Present, 0 Defenses; Lineal/Ring World Jr. Welterweight 2009-Present, 0 Defenses (not on the line)
    Previous Titles: Lineal/WBC World Flyweight 1998-99, 1 Defense; IBF Jr. Featherweight 2001-03, 4 Defenses; Lineal/Ring World Featherweight 2003-05, 2 Defenses; Lineal/Ring/WBC World Jr. Lightweight 2008; WBC Lightweight 2008-09
    Height: 5’6
    Weight: 145.75 lbs.
    Average Weight – Last Five Fights: 137.5 lbs.
    Hails from: General Santos City, Cotabato del Sur, Philippines
    Record: 50-3-2, 38 KO
    Record in Title Fights: 12-1-2, 11 KO, 1 KOBY
    Current/Former World Champions/Titlists Defeated: 11 (Chatchai Sasakul, Lehlo Ledwaba, Jorge Eliecer Julio, Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales, Oscar Larios, Juan Manuel Marquez, David Diaz, Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Miguel Cotto)
    Current/Former World Champions/Titlists Faced in Defeat or Draw: 4 (Medgoen Singsurat, Agapito Sanchez, Juan Manuel Marquez, Erik Morales)

Vs.

Joshua Clottey
    Title: None
    Previous Titles: IBF Welterweight (2008-09, 0 Defenses)
    Height: 5’8
    Weight: 147 lbs.
    Average Weight - Five Most Recent Fights: 148.4 lbs.
    Hails from: Accra, Ghana
    Record: 35-3, 20 KO
    Record in Major Title Fights: 1-2
    Current/Former World Champions/Titlists Defeated: 2 (Diego Corrales, Zab Judah)
    Current/Former World Champions/Titlists Faced in Defeat: 3 (Carlos Baldomir, Antonio Margarito, Miguel Cotto)

Let’s go to the report card.

Read the rest at: http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=25993
    Last edited by Crold1; 03-13-2010 at 01:19 PM.

vCash

I would bet the over because I think Clottey has the best chin of anyone Pacquiao has ever fought.

Remember folks, this is a true welterweight, 5'8" tall, strong and sturdy, the same guy who barely lost to nonstop attacker Antonio "Marble" Margarito (as in marble in his wraps), beat the hell out of Diego Corrales - who had some pop and speed, decisioned then 19-0 southpaw Shamone Alvarez, KO'd J.L. Lopez (Lopez's only KO loss - he even went the distance with Mosley), recently had quick and experienced southpaw Zab Judah running from him and looking for a way out of the fight, and had Cotto backing up and trying to survive and barely eek out a split decision win against Clottey even before Cotto fought Pacquiao. This is a REAL fighter.

Pac had better not fall asleep on Clottey at any point in the fight. He's going to be there, if you know what I mean.

Clottey's biggest weaknesses thus far are that he has never really kept a very good punch output, hasn't really been able to garner enough fast footwork to track guys down, hasn't demonstrated a lot of punch combo versatility, and he's nowhere near as fast as Pacquaio. Hence, I favor Pac by decision. But Clottey is a dangerous guy throughout and if he's in phenomenal shape, this could be a war, at least at some point in the fight.

vCash

I got Pacman to win in rds 9-12 by KO/TKO. I know Clottey is tough as hell and it may not be a KO, but I think the corner or ref may pull him out late rds...

BTW, don't go wasting your money using my tips, I am usually off on these matches
    Last edited by walshb; 03-13-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Administrator
    vCash

I think its gonna look a lot like the Cotto fight but just end later. Clottey is a great, solid boxer but not consistent enough to take someone as special as Pac down. He has not proven that ability to me whereas Pac has proven he will be all he can handle.

vCash

John Duddy v. Michael Medina. Duddy weighed in 5 pounds bigger than Medina. Medina weighed 155.5 to fight a 160-pound middleweight. Let's hope that just means Medina is in great shape. Medina is 22-1-2 with 18 KOs. Duddy is 28-1.

vCash

1 - First was fairly spirited. Looks like it will be competitive. Neither particularly showed they were going to be the boss. Medina is no slouch. Even round.

vCash

2 - Nice round. Both throw good crisp shots. Again fairly even. Duddy might be slightly busier, but Medina's punches seem to have a tad more pop. This fight might come down to condition and defense.

vCash

3 - Surprisingly nice and competitive bout. Not a barnburner or exciting or anything, but a good quality bout with two guys standing in range and throwing real punches and not running or grabbing. I'd hate to be a judge on this one.

vCash

4 - Bit of a slow down. Duddy seems to want to move and box a tad more. He has a bit of a height and reach advantage and I think he's sensing that he isn't stronger than Medina, that he might want to intersperce a little boxing in order to try to get a decision.

vCash

5 - close again. although they are throwing, it isn't an overwhelming pace, and neither particularly lands all that often, surprising that they are fairly in range most of the time. But neither taking too many risks.

vCash

6 - Medina attacking a bit more. Medina landed a good right but Duddy came back with some nice hooks. Medina landed some nice body shots. heavy thuds.

vCash

7 - Medina's body shots are hard but JD is landing several to the head, though not with a whole lot of power or effect. Near end of round Medina landed a very hard right. JD's punches land more but Medina's are harder.

vCash

8 - JD a bit busier and landing more. Med more focused on one crisp shot at a time while JD more of a flow but with less power. Right at end of round ref takes point off Med for a slightly low blow. He had been warned but none of the low blows were all that bad - more off to the side or slightly low.

vCash

9 - Med landed a low blow that ref didn't see, so I guess it evened out. JD countering with quick combos. Med lands overhand right. Jd slightly outhustling him. JD just a tad quicker, shorter with shots, flows more, but it the advantage is slight.

vCash

10 - Both landing some nice ones. Med landed nice left uppercut. JD more cautious.

Close fight but I suspect the judges will give a slight edge to duddy.

vCash

96-93 jd, 96-93 med, 96-93 jd.

duddy wins a split. Can't fault that. I wouldn't even fault the judge that gave it to medina. it was a close one.

vCash

Duddy boxed very poorly I thought. Needs oiling, speed and sharpness.
    That guy is not a true middle either. Duddy deserved it, but he's going nowhere

vCash

JL Castillo v. Alfonso Gomez. Good style match. Castillo at one point would have easily won, but he's on the wane so should be close.

1 - AG seems a bit friskier and quicker, but JL is relaxed and calm. Mostly a feel out round.

vCash

2 - Not a barnburner but AG seems to have a bit more spunk and energy. Pace semi-slow but not bad. At least no running or grabbing.

vCash

3 - AG is just faster. JL is in the fight but you can tell he is getting old. AG landing more, quicker, and moves with more life in his legs.

vCash

4 - Pace picking up a bit. More action that round. Not a great fight, but decent. These are the type of guys who will pick it up as the fight progresses.

vCash

5 - More of same. Close, but I'd give slight edge to AG.

vCash

6 - JL quit in the corner. No reason to do that. Pathetic.

Maybe one day we'll see better undercards again for these PPV fights.

vCash

Humberto Soto v. David Diaz.

HS is an ass beater so hopefully this will be a good fight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast