Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maidana-cayo

vCash

Maidana-cayo

victor cayo proved to be a difficult fighter. marcos maidana kept his cool and figured the kid out a stopped him with a beautiful right hand to the solar plexis.

cayo showed courage and some skills but badly needs more seasoning and a better corner. when he was stunned after being dropped by a punch a split second after the bell in round two rather than his corner men trying to revive him they spent most of the respite screaming at the ref. chaos in the corner of of young fighter that is already in over his head does him no good at all.

maidana is a tough heavy handed guy. i still hope he gets amir khan in the ring soon but a brady or alexander may be able to out slick him. either way the jr. welters are the show right now.

in the semi main joan guzman completely blew off the scales coming in an unforgivable 9 lbs. over the scheduled lightweight limit. the extra weight excluded his being able to claim the title but helped him to win the fight scoring a knockdown and earning a split decision to reverse the out come of his last fight with ali funeka. while the first fight was ruled a draw even guzman admitted he lost. not having to struggle to make weight or even try gave him a decided edge over the snake bit funeka who can't seem to catch a break on these shores.

greg

vCash

Re: Maidana-cayo

Maidana will decapitate Amir Khan and everybody knows it.

So why waste time & money manufacturing this Cheese Champ when you can feed him to Maidana, a colourful crowd-pleasing puncher who fights anybody?

Boxing's corporate suits never fail to infuriate & disgust.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Overhand_Right
    Maidana will decapitate Amir Khan and everybody knows it.

So why waste time & money manufacturing this Cheese Champ when you can feed him to Maidana, a colourful crowd-pleasing puncher who fights anybody?

Boxing's corporate suits never fail to infuriate & disgust.
    oh.. i feel the same way... i'm just waiting for walsh to check in and give his always amusing slant on a maidana-khan fight. from the interview it seems maidana has not only been told to leave khan alone but also not to talk about him....

greg

vCash

I too await the comedy routine that is Walsh's interpretation of the Amir Khan soap.

If anybody can name just ONE 'world champion' boxer in the entire televised history of the game who needed huge television channels and major promoters to collude with each other in order to protect him, I would love to hear it.

vCash

Marcos Maidana is one of the must enjoyable fighters to watch in boxing today. What more can you ask for? The guy is in shape, tough as nails, hits hard with both hands, and fights hard throughout he fight, with no running or grabbing. I'd watch him any day of the week.

vCash

Agreed. And yet HBO want to keep him away from another major kayo & protect a guy who fights dead bodies, getting iced in less than 60 seconds by live bodies, and boxes light-hitting journeymen like Andreas Kotelnik as if he were Earnie Shavers Incarnate.

If you haven't seen Khan-Kotelnik, DON'T. Even worse than Haye-Valuev in terms of action. At least the latter had a sort of 'spectacle' element of a huge lumbering bear stalking a human in a confined space.

I can't imagine what kind of bollocks HBO are going to force feed the audience during Khan-Malignaggi. Malignaggi doesn't even have the chin or tight defence of Kotelnik so it looks like a good PR opponent for AK.

vCash

You fellas still sweatin' it out?

Ha!

Well, I haven't seen the Cayo win for Marcus. Listen, relax, take a chill pill and in time, your boy Marcus will or should get his chance to crack Khan.

Anyway, he will need to take him out, because if he doesn't, he will get eaten alive for 12 rds. And, considering the guy can be hurt, and dropped, he could be the one getting knocked the fuck out.

Greg, I ain't reneging on this bet, I hope you aren't?

OHR, your man Haye better look freaking good in beating that washed up
    has been, Ruiz, if not, I'll be on to you.

vCash

I've been trying to disassociate from Haye since that dreary Valuev performance, but if he looks explosive on Saturday I'll be back on his bandwagon pretending I knew he was the real deal at heavy all along.

vCash

i don't know walsh... i am sweatin' so bad i can hardly type... guess i have to go thru with our bet ....

thats marcos BTW ,not marcus,...... knocked out the undefeated cayo with with a six inch shot to the solar plexis ..... beautiful short right up the middle. but don't sweat it.

greg

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gregbeyer
    i don't know walsh... i am sweatin' so bad i can hardly type... guess i have to go thru with our bet ....

thats marcos BTW ,not marcus,...... knocked out the undefeated cayo with with a six inch shot to the solar plexis ..... beautiful short right up the middle. but don't sweat it.

greg
    Yeah, a body shot. Well, Cayo needs to hit the gym and strengthen the mid section.

Either way, Marcos is still a plodding guy with little defense and not the best chin either.
    He will be exposed when he meets a skilled fighter with durability, ala Bradley, and hopefully (fingers crossed), Khan

I am confident that IF Khan can dominate Paulie in style, we will
    see him meet Marcos around September or October.
    Last edited by walshb; 03-31-2010 at 04:03 AM.

vCash

... you're confident of Maidana-Khan 'in September' despite the fact only last month HBO/Golden Boy strongarmed Maidana into signing a contract where he has to stay away from Khan for TWELVE MONTHS?

Sometimes walsh it's like you're on a different planet.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Overhand_Right
    ... you're confident of Maidana-Khan 'in September' despite the fact only last month HBO/Golden Boy strongarmed Maidana into signing a contract where he has to stay away from Khan for TWELVE MONTHS?

Sometimes walsh it's like you're on a different planet.
    Sometimes I don't happen to read all the time and miss certain snippets, apologies for this. I didn't realise that not being privy to everything was so non earth like

Maybe you can link the source, the contract, and give ME some insight?

Edit: Don't bother

I read about this 'rumour' on Boxingscene... IF it proves to be solid and true, well, it's not good.

See, you fellas don't seem to realise that I, like you, agree with a lot of your criticism
    of Khan. I am well aware of the chin, but I am going to allow him to show if he
    can adjust, improve and progress. I am not ready to start dissing and dissing all the time.

He "keeps" meeting guys like Paulie and blown up feathers, then he deserves criticism.
    I think after Paulie, he will be matched with more dangerous fighters. I also think that
    if Khan loses to Paulie fair and square, he should retire. My standards are high..
    Last edited by walshb; 03-31-2010 at 06:11 AM.

vCash

walsh.... have you seen the fight ?

that was not a plodding performance and there was nothing wrong with cayo's conditioning. he got hit with a shot to the solar plexis that almost came out his back. cayo fought bravely, is brave, he was just not equal to the very hard man he was facing.

when ever your boy has has enough time to grow a backbone and a pair of stones he will fair no better.

as far as what you call a rumor.... well listen to kellermans post fight comments. funny with you being such a huge supporter of khan your the last to have heard this.

i also find interesting your comment that if khan loses to malinaggi he should retire. first you tell us to give him time to learn, to season. next as soon as he loses.... bag it. toss in the towel. how is he going to get any seasoning like that ? or is it you ? your knowing then that if malinaggi beats him your bet with me is quite suspect...... well fear not. if he can't beat paulie he is not going to get a shot at maidana. not even boxing is that cruel. or maybe we can get calzaghe to stroke his head and whisper warm fuzzies in his ear... "its ok son ... at least you tried "..... DOUBT IT.

greg

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gregbeyer
    walsh.... have you seen the fight ?

that was not a plodding performance and there was nothing wrong with cayo's conditioning. he got hit with a shot to the solar plexis that almost came out his back. cayo fought bravely, is brave, he was just not equal to the very hard man he was facing.

when ever your boy has has enough time to grow a backbone and a pair of stones he will fair no better.

as far as what you call a rumor.... well listen to kellermans post fight comments. funny with you being such a huge supporter of khan your the last to have heard this.

i also find interesting your comment that if khan loses to malinaggi he should retire. first you tell us to give him time to learn, to season. next as soon as he loses.... bag it. toss in the towel. how is he going to get any seasoning like that ? or is it you ? your knowing then that if malinaggi beats him your bet with me is quite suspect...... well fear not. if he can't beat paulie he is not going to get a shot at maidana. not even boxing is that cruel. or maybe we can get calzaghe to stroke his head and whisper warm fuzzies in his ear... "its ok son ... at least you tried "..... DOUBT IT.

greg
    Greg, I didn't know about it. I am boxing fan, but also, I do have a life. I don't read up on every article with Amir's name attached to it. I don't know it all; but now, I do, in relation to this article. You know, it's not like this is breaking news, it's news that only boxing
    fans would know about. I missed it, damn me to hell.

As for the Paulie comment. I happen to think that Paulie isn't at all that great.
    And, if Amir is making out he is very good or great, then he needs at 23 to be
    able to beat a relatively light hitting JWW who IMO is not half the boxer that Khan is.

If it were Khan meeting Pacman, and Lost, yes, I would say that he should continue, but it's Paulie Malignaggi. Hatton embarrassed this guy.
    Just to reiterate, it is Paulie Malignaggi we are talking about.

Back to Marcos. All you have to hope for is Khan's chin, that is IT. Regarding skills and proficiency, Khan is miles ahead of Maidana. So, you are taking a gamble, just like me. Thing is, Khan can win this more ways than Marcos.
    Marcos needs the KO..... Hey, he has shown that he can stick to
    a very rigid and skilled fight plan. Watch the Kotelnik bout, his D was very effective.
    Last edited by walshb; 03-31-2010 at 12:57 PM.

vCash

Khans skills aren't up to much against live bodies. Let's see how good his skills are under pressure - in a bout where he isn't unconscious inside 54 seconds.

His alleged skills couldn't even keep him out of trouble vs Willie Limond & Michael Gomez - LOL!

Maidana is tearing up guys like Ortiz & Cayo whilst Khan prefers Hattons left overs. Enough said.

vCash

Victor "I quit" Ortiz? The man who had he been a better finisher would have knocked Marcos out?

Cayo? What, is he some beast now, a monster who Marcos tamed?

C'mon, this is ludicrous.

BTW, OHR, you need to learn to distinguish between skills and chin.

Khan has bags of skill, it's the chin that is suspect, as you keep pointing out.

BTW, he was 20/21 when he destroyed Gomez and Limond....
    Last edited by walshb; 03-31-2010 at 01:04 PM.

vCash

How come his skills can't keep small guys like Willie Limond & Gomez off him?

Called ludicrous by walsh, the man who's boxed himself into the most untenable position probably in the history of the CBZ. This'll take some beating!

vCash

So, are you saying skills alone keep men off you? Now, that is untenable.

I am guessing you have never ever boxed?

Hint for you, do you know when you are most vulnerable to a punch?

I'll tell you: It is when you open up with your offensive shots....

I am waiting to hear your view of the quitter, Ortiz?

vCash

my view is that if it was khan in there with ortiz and not maidana ortiz would have won. ortiz is a huge puncher and to take those shot and get up, fight back and win..... no way khan goes two rounds against victor.

as for malinaggi. he has stated that before hatton he had gone stale working with the wrong trainer. his recent performances since have born this out. he has been calling hatton ever since. he got juan diaz twice instead. early in his career he showed great courage against cotto and went the distance. something to think about if you are expecting khan to scare paulie.

the question you have to ask is if amir gets by malinaggi who else can he fight?
    maybe some old blown up feathers like marquez, morales ? i mean it is getting dicey for him at 140. the only lightweight he could draw with is valero.. ha ha. he could never advance to welter where they hit even harder ... maybe your right. he should probably retire right now as nutless cheese champ of the world.

greg

vCash

Greg, why are you trying to look into the future all the time.

Paulie is not great, and I don't think he will bother Khan.
    Khan beats him and I assume he will meet someone better.
    Make all the lame excuses you want for Paulie, he was plain shit vs. Hatton
    and hasn't looked anyway great since.

It is all about styles. I would back Paulie to beat Maidana.
    Paulie is a better boxer, period. This doesn't mean
    I think Paulie is great. Just good enough to beat Marcos.

Like I said, all you have on Amir is a weak chin, and you really are being
    OTT regarding it.

No merit given to him for coming back after his loss to Prescott, his win
    over a man who beat your Maidana. Khan totally dominated Kotelnik.

Wanna' diss Kotelnik? If so, what does it say about Marcos to lose to Kotelnik?

For all we know, your man could well be knocked out when he meets a hitter
    who can finish the job, unlike Ortiz. Marcos' chin isn't a whole lot better than
    Khan's.

Never advance to welter? He is 23 for chrissake. He is not yet finished maturing.
    Khan will not stay at JWW for too long, he is still 'growing.'

Could Manny have advanced to welter aged 23? No! It's an irrelevant point.
    Last edited by walshb; 03-31-2010 at 02:20 PM.

vCash

All the points against Khan are valid. On the other hand, first you say Paulie is not that good, then you say Paulie would beat Maidana. So you must think Maidana is garbage? I don't get why you feel the need to defend Khan to the nth degree. His management has taken a very unmanly stance on his career. It's indefensible.
    Last edited by MarkD; 03-31-2010 at 02:27 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD
    My god. Your man-crush on Khan is really over the top...
    Almost as crushy as Greg's on Marcos......

BTW, Mark, I am well aware that Khan's chin could see him being badly beaten. I happen to think that he has loads of skill, is likable and has an exciting style, made even more exciting because the chin is suspect.

I hope he continues to grow, improve and strengthen and win. If this means I have a crush on the guy, so be it. Jeez, I must be possessed/obsessed by James Toney, Ali, Leonard etc.....

vCash

All the points against Khan are valid. On the other hand, first you say Paulie is not that good, then you say Paulie would beat Maidana. So you must think Maidana is garbage? I don't get why you feel the need to defend Khan to the nth degree. His management has taken a very unmanly stance on his career. It's indefensible.
    Paulie is not all that great, but he has the perfect style to beat Marcos whom I happen to think is a banger with little else. I am not sold on the guy at all, same as I am not sold on Valero.

Who says I am defending Khan? I am merely making counter points to those who are criticising him. Also, I agree with some of the criticism, it's just that some is OTT. No credit at all, even after beating Marcos' conqueror.... Kotelnik was the recognised WBA champ.

I tell you, should Khan beat Marcos, it won't be credit he'll get, it will be excuses. Some folks plain dislike the chap
    Last edited by walshb; 03-31-2010 at 02:55 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by walshb
    So, are you saying skills alone keep men off you? Now, that is untenable.

I am guessing you have never ever boxed?

Hint for you, do you know when you are most vulnerable to a punch?

I'll tell you: It is when you open up with your offensive shots....

I am waiting to hear your view of the quitter, Ortiz?
    Yes walsh, I've attended more than one boxing gym, donned a pair of gloves & been bashed in the nose more times than I care to remember, please detail your fistic accomplishments since you are repeatedly labelling Ortiz 'a quitter'.

The man was getting hammered by big shots & decided to end a violent fight - if Khan had been on the receiving end there's enough evidence from the non-hitters who decked him to suggest he would be unconscious, again.

Kotelnik was getting hammered by Maidana in the last three rds of their fight, which I am almost certain you have never even watched. At what point was Khan hammering Kotelnik? He couldn't, because he was boxing Kotelnik as if this light hitting counter puncher were Earnie Shavers.

You're desperate to denigrate Marcos who is an all round popular fighter for all the right reasons, and who keeps racking up respectable wins whilst Amir is plowing the dregs.

Maidana has proven he can knock out men of Khan's quality, he has proven he will fight anyone, he has proven he can get off the floor & win against a man who can hit.

Khan has proven none of the above, hence why your rigid defence of him comes off as so strange.

vCash

Marcos lost to Kotelnik. Khan dominated Kotelnik; yet you cannot give any credit to Khan for a well fought fight plan that was decisive. Is it Khan you hate, or Warren?

All Marcos has on Amir is power. Is Marcos' chin great? I don' think so.
    Go watch how he was on queer street vs. Ortiz on more than one occasion.

Ortiz quit at around rd 7. He wasn't getting a pasting for 7 rds. I have seen many many men take much much more than what he took.

Watch Cotto's pasting vs. Margarito and then make your point.

I have seen the full Maidana-Kotelnik fight actually. He doesn't impress me much, and hey, nor does Kotelnik....see, that's the point. Both are ok, nothing special

vCash

Saying Khan dominated Kotelnik is a misnomer...the more you say it the more over the top you sound. Anyway, like others have said Ortiz would spark Khan as well...so bringing up how hurt Maidana was, is irrelevent. Khan would not have survived that storm. Maidana did.

vCash

Anyway, like others have said Ortiz would spark Khan as well...so bringing up how hurt Maidana was, is irrelevent. Khan would not have survived that storm. Maidana did.
    Exactumundo.

THIS is what Khan ends up like in a storm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAnTS9YWr-A

vCash

Saying Khan dominated Kotelnik is a misnomer...the more you say it the more over the top you sound. Anyway, like others have said Ortiz would spark Khan as well...so bringing up how hurt Maidana was, is irrelevent. Khan would not have survived that storm. Maidana did.
    He did. But, you fail to realise that for ME, in doing so proved not all that much. Kotelnik isn't close to great. Did you see the fight?

Khan won at least 10 rds, and possibly 12. The rds weren't even all that close. Kotelnik is an awkward sod. It was 119-109 or something like that.
    That's as dominant as can be.

Ortiz sparks nobody IMO. He is not up to it. Yes, vs. Khan any of these men has a punchers chance; this I am not denying. But, that is the only hope, because if Khan boxes clever and smart he will walk rings around these guys, and if he lands clean and flush, he can take them out.

I brought up the fact that Maidana was badly hurt to point out that the guy can be hurt, and with a good finisher
    he can be taken out. Now, are you going to claim that Khan can't punch, can't finish? He is no Hearns, but he has
    a decent punch and can really unload when he has a man hurt.

BTW, OHR, go watch the Kotelnik-Maidana fight again. You said Maidana was hammering Kotelnik for the last three
    rds? What fight were you watching?
    Last edited by walshb; 03-31-2010 at 03:59 PM.

vCash

walsh are you a confirmed masochist ? i don't know how many people can beat you up at once before you stop spouting your "yeah but khan has skills" routine. all the skill in the world does you no good when your looking up in the lights wondering what happened and where and who you are. i wish you would write a letter to freddie roach and tell him to sign for maidana.

this is getting as crazy as when you argued with the whole board telling us that larry holmes should not have fought ali because "it wasn't nice". LOL.

your killing me man .... but hell don't stop since you seem to love the whipping post so. if khan ever fights maidana and beats him i'm going to have your magazine framed... i swear brother walsh... you fuckin' deserve it !

greg

vCash

The problem with this demented Khan dominated Kotelnik and Kotelnik outpointed Maidana therfore Khan beats Maidana angle is the HUGE factor that Kotelnik has a tight guard & a good chin.

Khan has neither a tight guard nor a good chin.

So Khan boxing a light hitting counter puncher like Kotelnik from long range will mean diddly sqaut against a come forward big hitter like Maidana.

Muhammad Ali knocked out George Foreman and Foreman bludgeoned Ken Norton - guess Ali might actually kill Norton going on that form, hey?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast