vCash

Re: GATO GONZALEZ' DISCUSSION THREAD

vCash

vCash

Ted,

Welcome to my thread.
    Thank you for writing and for your compliments.

And to Kikibalt---
    Thank you so much for finding these old articles to post. I thought I was the only one that had them. You sure have a large collection of boxing pictures and newspaper clippings.

It is interesting to see the comment made by Roberto Duran, that he was going to fight the winner of Heair-Carmona fight. In fact, it was that very same night that Jacky Mccoy asked Duran's manager for a Gonzalez-Duran fight, but his manager said, "You guys keep your title(WBC) and we'll keep ours(WBA).

El Gato

vCash

What great photos and articles Champ, they bring back wonderful memories.

You were one of the best in my book.

Blessings,
    Ron

vCash

It's terrific to see a great champ that I followed closely back in the day, is so celebrated here. As he should be. I had a lot of thrills watching your fights, Sr. Gonzalez.

EMF

vCash

Ron---

It is nice to hear from you.Thank you for your compliments. Those photos and articles bring alot of memories to me as well. It was such a special time in my life.
    I'm looking forward to meeting you one day.

To EMF---

Welcome to my thread! I"m glad to know you followed my fights and that you had alot of thrills watching them. I wish I could say the same. LOL The only time I had a thrill was at the end of the fight when the referee raised up my hand to announce that I had won the fight.

El Gato

vCash

Rodolfo Gonzalez getting his hands wrapped by Benny Conyers

vCash

Rodolfo "Gato" Gonzalez

tedsares

Great photo

tedsares

Can I post that photo on my site, Cat?

vCash

Ted---

If you don't mind posting your e-mail address, I will e-mail you that picture and a couple of others to print on your site.

El Gato

tedsares

tedsares@roadrunner.com. Usted es mejores, Cat!

vCash

It has been a very sad day for me today. This morning I received a phone call from Carlos Palomino informing me that Mando Ramos had passed away this morning. Mando's wife was not able to wake him this morning. He apparently had died in his sleep. It is hard to believe. We were all together last week Friday for our induction into the Legends of Boxing Museum at the American Sports University in San Bernadino. Besides being my stablemate he was my long time friend. May he rest in peace.

El Gato

El Gato

vCash

Rodolfo,
    Mando was fortunate to have such a devoted and loyal friend as you and Carlos. I am so sorry to learn of this. I had many Emails back and forth with him and he always showed great warmth and respect.

Ron

tedsares

From Frank's thread:

Re: Frankie & Tony Baltazar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Los Vatos

By Ted Sares: Hey vatos; Do you know who the best fighter in the world is pound for pound? Hands down, vatos, hands down! Los jabs, los hooks, los uppercuts...Mando Ramos!" --Edward James Olmos' 1992 film, "American Me".

He was a man of many great qualities…He had the rough and tough outer exterior of a fighter. But inside, he had a pure heart and a gentle soul. He was a great champion in the ring, but he was an even greater champion in life. He helped a lot of inner-city kids. --Mando Ramos Jr.

The California boxing connection is a strong one and the ex-boxers meet regularly. When Mando Ramos sadly passed away this week, the connection evidenced itself front and center. Superstars such as, Alberto Davila, the Baltazar boys, the Sandoval's, Bobby Chacon, Frankie Duarte, Paul Gonzalez, Danny “Little Red “ Lopez, Arturo Frias, Genaro “Chicanito” Hernandez, and Oscar DeLaHoya expressed their grief and shock..

Many of these fighters came out of the Los Angeles Junior Golden Gloves tournaments. All became world class professionals. Some became World Champions. Frankie Baltazar, 40-3-1, was one tough duded and so was his brother Tony “The Tiger,”38-7-1. Both were inducted into the California Boxing Hall of Fame in 2006, along with Carlos Palomino

Rudolfo “El Gato” Gonzalez finished with a career mark of 81-7 (70 KOs) and won the WBC lightweight title in 1972 when he stopped rugged Chango Carmona in 13 rounds. “El Gato” was an immensely popular boxer who performed regularly to overflow crowds at the Olympic Auditorium.

John Jr. Montes, exciting bomber Jaime Garza, Ruben “The Maravilla Kid” Navarro, Raul Rojas, Paul Vaden, Alberto “Superfly” Sandoval and many others too numerous to list thrilled fans in the Los Angeles. Area for years as did the late Keeny Teran and Art Aragon.

Mando Ramos-Sugar Ramos-1970

Mando Ramos was pure 100% L.A fighter. Indeed, twenty-seven of his forty-nine fights were held in the storied Olympic Auditorium. There was something special about him; he was able to connect with and capture the hearts of Mexican-American boxing like few others. Enrique Bolanos, Art Aragon, Keeny Teran, Danny Lopez and Bobby Chacon did it as well. And like Jerry Quarry, he had an abundance of charisma. Lopez and Chacon and even Aragon before them were tremendous box-office attractions, but what was really incredible was that by just the age of eighteen, young Mando virtually owned the Olympic.

On February 18, 1969, Ramos avenged an earlier defeat by stopping Carlos Teo Cruz in the eleventh round. This occurred three months after his 20th birthday and made him the youngest boxer in history to win the World Lightweight Championship.

The rest of the story reads like a roller coaster ride and while it needs to be told, this is a time to mourn someone special, someone who was a beloved member of Los Vatos. Suffice it to say that after checking himself into a rehabilitation clinic in the early '80s, he became clean and sober and remained so the last twenty-five years. He started Boxing Against Alcohol and Drugs (BAAD).

Rest in Peace.

East Side Boxing

vCash

Left to right - Dan Hanley, Rodolfo Gonzalez, Rick Farris, Greg
    Patterson and Dan Hanley, Sr.

Great photo!!

Frank

tedsares

Rodolfo, Dan sent it to me. Thanks, amigo.

Ted The Bull

vCash

Kikibalt,

If you have a picture of Leon, Guanajuato could you please post it here? I would love to se it. It was in this town on February 4th of 1960 when I was 15 years old that I fought the State of Guanajuato champion, Juan Arias. I was able to knock him out in the first round.
    The town is beautiful. Before you get to town there is a statue that you see on a mountain of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. It is about 60 or 70 feet tall.

El Gato

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez
    Kikibalt,

If you have a picture of Leon, Guanajuato could you please post it here? I would love to se it. It was in this town on February 4th of 1960 when I was 15 years old that I fought the State of Guanajuato champion, Juan Arias. I was able to knock him out in the first round.
    The town is beautiful. Before you get to town there is a statue that you see on a mountain of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. It is about 60 or 70 feet tall.

El Gato
    Gato, the pics below are from Leon, Guanajuato, I couldn't fine one of the statue, I seen it before, but right now I can't fine it, maybe later.

Last edited by kikibalt; 08-10-2008 at 10:26 PM.

vCash

My painting of gato being presented to the Director Conrado Leyva by my granddaughter Amanda. Cultural Center Jiquilpan, Michoacoan.

Dago

vCash

Hey Frank,

Did you paint that? If so, that's really cool!

Nice photos, by the way, of the church.

Have a good one,

Juan

vCash

Kikibalt---

Thank you for posting the pictures of Leon, Guanajuato. It is such a beautiful city, especially the churches.

Dago---

I am so happy to know that you have presented my portrait that you painted to the cultural center in Jiquilpan. I am honored and I want to go there to visit as soon as possible. It was so nice to have your granddaughter present it to the director, Mr. Leyva.

El Gato

vCash

A Very Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to You and your Good Lady Champ
    Your Old Friend Danny

vCash

Rodolfo Gonzalez, Ken Norton & Paul Gonzalez

vCash

hey champ,

i don't post here much anymore, but, i hope you are well.

i still have not forgotten the times i saw you fight. after you beat robertson and navarro i knew chango had no chance at you.

i still remember the headline the day after you won the title.... " gonzalez a 3 t0 1 virtuoso ". i'll never forget that nite and i know you never will. to have jackie mccoy and cannon ball with you as well as the still present jesse reid.... great nite. salud.

greg

vCash

does Mr Gonzalez still post on here?

vCash

Today has been a sad day for my hometown Guadalajara and for the whole country of Mexico.
    My friend and stablemate Efren "Alacran" Torres died this morning. He and I started training on the same day at the Police Station in the City of San Andres, about twenty miles south of downtown Guadalajara in July of 1959. My cousin, Jose Becerra taught us both the left hook to the liver and all the classic boxing moves he knew. What he taught us was enough for me and Alacran Torres to start winning fights. The two of us were racing to see who could win more knockouts in a row.
    In my opinion Alacran was one of the best Flyweight World Champions that Mexico has ever had.
    Perhaps many of you remember his fights against Susumu Hanagata and Chartchai Chionoi. Those were outstanding fights. Fights like that you don't see anymore.

I just saw Alacran Torres in Guadalajara in November, 2009 where they placed our pictures and a star in the beautiful sports museum. He was so happy and seemed to be in good shape. He was just a little older than me. May God rest his soul.

El Gato

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

bump

vCash

Rodolfo Gonzalez v Chango Carmona

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVKSYraHjAw

+ Reply to Thread