vCash

Re: GATO GONZALEZ' DISCUSSION THREAD

vCash

vCash

vCash

Thanks Rodolfo, an i saved the best one for last.

Last edited by kikibalt; 04-17-2006 at 05:26 PM.

vCash

The title winning party

Frank, great job of reprinting the photos. Looking at the Puddu pic got me thinking of a story Bill O'Neill told me recently. Being a west coast writer and knowing the person throwing the party, he got himself invited to Puddu's title-winning celebration. This was a little like the 'Dewey beats Truman' headline in the wishful thinking department. Anyways, after Rodolfo tempered Puddu's ambitions Bill attended the party anyway. He said it was very comical, the party was now a very solemn occasion because the guest of honor was sitting in a chair with two eyes swollen shut. Hey Rodolfo, did you get an invite to this 'party'?

Dan

vCash

Hey Dan great story.

Frank

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Absolutely terrific pics, Mr. B! Champ, you were quite the handsome & suave looking gent in that pic with Connie Stevens!

GorDoom

vCash

I was talking to Rick Farris earlier today, an i told him a story about the night that Rodolfo " Gato " Gonzalez won the title from Chango Carmona, later on Rodolfo called me and i told him the same story, been that Rick called him and told him what i had told him, i had gotten 6 comp. tickets from Don Chargin , so i took my wife and my one daughter and my three sons ( Now we have four sons ) to see the fight , we were sitting about 15-18 rows from ringside, well there was a guy with thousand's of dollars, an he was putting all his money on Carmona, so very time he made a bet his money and the money from the guy he was betting was given to my wife to hold, at the end the guy backing Carmona had $100 left and he could't fine any more takers, so i went for it and took his last $100, well you should have seen the rush of guys trying to get their money from my wife after Gato won, she did't know who was who, i got my two hundred dollars from her and told her just give the money to who ever said they won and let's get the hell out of here, which we did, and the guy that lost? well i thought he was going to cry, he probably lost the rent money.

Frank
    Last edited by kikibalt; 04-17-2006 at 05:16 PM.

vCash

Estimado Rodolfo:

Thanks for the very welcome phone call last night. It had been so long since we were in touch via the cyberboxingzone message board. It was really good to visit with you and touch bases once more.

I have given you my email address, although I won't be receiving any messages on my own computer as it is not yet hooked up to aol. What you email me will show up on my dear daughter's computers, laptop or desktop and she can access them for me.

Take care and remember you have my best wishes, of course, always.

regards

hap navarro

vCash

Guys, Bill O'Neill sent me on this photo from his collection. We can tell who the real Paddy's are in this photo, but check out the three Latino/Irish. Oh well, on St. Paddy's Day the beer goes down the same with everyone.

Dan

vCash

Hi Everyone---

It has been many days since I last posted here. Frank and Dan, you have done such a great job in putting all of these old time photos here. That one with Connie Stevens brings back fond memories. She was so beautiful and such a "down to earth person", very humble. I didn't know whether to hug the statue they gave me or to hug her. I played it safe and hugged the statue. The other picture that Bill O'Neill sent to Dan also was a great photo. It was probably taken after the weigh-in on Mar. 17, 1973 at lunch time. That was the biggest card that they had ever had in the State of California with 4 world champions fighting that night. The 4 stars on the card in order of appearance were myself vs Ruben Navarro, Roberto Duran vs Javier Ayala, Danny "LIttle Red" Lopez vs Kenji "Ace" Endo, and Chango Carmona vs Jimmy Heair. Somehow Danny Lopez missed the photo.

Hap---

We sure did have a good conversation the other night. Also another conversation today. I'm sorry to hear that you broke your leg and hope that you have a speedy recovery. And Congratulaions that you are going to be inducted into the California State Boxers Association Hall of Fame. You are very deserving and should have been there many years ago.

El Gato

vCash

gato,

you just made me think about something. i have never seen a tape of your fight with navarro but it seems like it should exist since i do have a tape of the danny lopez- ace endo fight. this is the fight in which endo jumped all over danny and outlanded him a hundred to five. only trouble for endo was all five of those punches danny landed scored knockdowns and finaly a knockout.

i wonder why danny's fight is on tape and yours with navarro is not.
    greg

vCash

Greg
    Hows the quality of our Lopez vs Endo fight?

vCash

oly..not bad. i have a lot of danny's fights. whatcha got in mind amigo?
    greg

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Campeon:

When you wrote about that gathering of the great Mexican fighters a while back you might remember that I asked you how your cousin, the great, Jose Becerra, was recieved & you mentioned that a lot of the older 50's & 60's fighters did not get a lot of attention, including Becerra.

That shocked me because I lived in Mexico then & Jose was the equivelant of a sports hero in the U.S. like Michael Jordan. He was a national treasure to the Mexican fans & non boxing fans as well.

At the time he was like a rock star & the most recognized athelete by far in Mexico.

What I would like to ask you to do if you would, is the next time you talk to him tell him that there is this middle aged gringo you know that still considers him a personal hero & one of the greatest bantamweights in history.

It really bothers me that he is basically forgotten in Mexico because he was not just a great fighter but one of the key figures in the history of Mexican sports.

Not to mention a good, honorable man & a real role model to hundreds of thousands of Mexican kids & one gringo that will never forget him.

thanks,

GorDoom

vCash

Hello everyone,

I did not read this whole thread but I read the first page about the old webpages that were lost. Has anyone tried using something like the Internet Archive to see if the pages can be retrieved? Here is the website:

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

vCash

Hello MTZ
    I just checked out that site, some of the links or dates given did not work for some reason. But here is the good news. For anyone to check out. The date below worked for me. MTZ Thank You So Much. Your The Man.

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
    Type in cyberboxingzone.com
    Click on Nov 19, 2003
    Then enter the Cyberzone,
    Post to our Bulletin Board
    Old Timers
    and there is the first 45 posts
    Last edited by wildhawke11; 05-07-2006 at 11:59 PM.

vCash

Below Champ is the first post you ever did

To "El Gato" Boxing Fans!Wow! I am overwhelmed by the response of so many people who love and understand the sport of boxing. It is an honor to read all the compliments from all of you who followed my boxing career.
    First, I want to thank my friend Dan Hanley for his wonderful interview with me. Also my special thanks to the editor, "GorDoom" for taking the time to post my boxing record.

By the way, I would like to mention that over the years my name has been spelled incorrectly many times with an "s". The correct spelling is Rodolfo "Gato" Gonzalez (with a "z" at the end).

Now to get started---

To Jean,
    Yes, I was very young when I started my career. Only 14 years old when I had my first 6 round professional fight. My opponent was 27 years old. I was very scared. When the bell rang he came straight at me. I closed my eyes tight and started swinging lefts and rights. Luckily I was hitting him. Moments later I wasn't hitting anything so I opened my eyes. I was shocked to see my opponent lying on the canvas. What a surprise. My first fight and I won it by knock out in the first round.

To Wildhawke and PD,
    Thanks for your wonderful compliments.

And to Non A Yer Bizniz,
    Regarding my fight against Chango Carmona, it was an easy fight. I could have knocked him out in the 2nd or 3rd round. I wasn't hitting him hard, only having fun. I wanted the boxing fans to get their money's worth so I prolonged the fight.

Hi Flatnose,
    About the Jimmy Robertson fight---He had beaten 17 Mexican fighters. The news media said I would be #18, but it didn't turn out that way. I won by unanimous decision in a 10 round main event fight at the Olympic Auditorium. This was not a title elimination bout.

To Rick,
    The reason I was less impressive in the mid-60's is because I was still recovering from my near fatal liver illness. However, about my lack of power punch, the 71 opponents I knocked out have a different opinion. And 47 of those I knocked out with a left hook to the liver--one punch. Another fact is that when I fought Claudio Adame, the #2 in the world at the Long Beach Auditorium, I knocked him down in the 7th round with a right upper cut to the chin. I hit him so hard that my red glove explded. It ripped apart about three inches and the insides came out. The referee stopped the bout temporarily until they brought me another glove-but this one was black. I remember the crowd screaming,"hit him with the red", "hit him with the black". You don't see gloves bursting even with the hardest hitters in the world.

For Greg and Robert,
    You are right on! Thank you for stating the facts about Duran. His manager never gave me a chance to fight him. It would have been one of Duran's toughest fights. I had studied his style and had him figured out. I felt very confident. We are good friends although we haven't seen each other since 1998.

Again , thank you all for your great responses. I just returned from Miami where I was interviewed on the "Don Francisco Presenta" show on Univision, the Hispanic Television Network. The show will be aired nationally this Wed., Dec. 11. Check your TV guide for the channel and time.

I would like to hear from all my boxing fans and will answer any questions you might have.

EL GATO

vCash

Greg---
    Do you remember where you got the Lopez vs Endo fight tape? Whoever taped that fight may have also taped my fight with Navarro or maybe they would know who might have taped it. I would like to have that tape myself.

Gordoom--
    About Jose Becerra, it is sad that the new generation doesn't recognize the older, great fighters. In Cancun he got such a poor introduction, only a few people applauded him. Part of the problem was that there were so many champions there that nobody got a detailed introduction so the only ones that stood out were the younger fighters who were recognized by the crowd.

MTZ---
    Thank you so much for posting the Internet Archives website. We were able to follow Wildhawke's instructions and found most of the first 45 pages, about 833 posts. That's really great.

Danny---
    That was very nice of you to post my first greeting to everybody from the old thread. I actually remember writing it. I was so surprised to hear that Gordoom had started my thread and had posted my fight record with the help of Dan Hanley who had also posted my prior interview he did with me. It really impressed me to have so many boxing fans and friends write.

El Gato

vCash

Rodolfo, watching Ricky Hatton last night obviously struggling with Luis Collazo's southpaw style had me wondering how you dealt with southpaws. With no amateur career behind you and at a youthful age, how did you react when the jab came firing in at the opposite angle?

Dan

vCash

Greg which Danny Lopez fights do you have?

vCash

Dan---

Regarding the southpaws I fought in my career, there were only four that I remember and they were not standing long enough to give me any problems. I believe the one that was standing the longest I dropped in the third round. What I had learned from the very beginning from my cousin, Jose Becerra, was that you always fight a southpaw by moving towards his left and never to pull back after you throw a jab, but always go under. Today you do not see fighters do this.

El Gato

vCash

Hi Gato,

I tried to send you an e-mail a few weeks ago, but never got a reply - did you change your e-mail address? If you didn't receive it, I can send it again.

By the way, the shots of Gato are a GREAT addition - keep up the good work!

Dennis

vCash

Campeon:

Your excellent post finally showed up-----but only on my daughter's computer, and several days late! I don't know why this is happening, but I'm happy to have received it anyway.

That entire context should probably be in the hands of the people entrusted with making the selections for the International Hall of Fame in New York. It is absolutely a plus to your credit and when added to your other accomplishments achieved in the past 18 months could weigh heavily in your favor.

Meantime, thanks for sending it to me and keep punching until you score the ultimate kayo.

Cordially,

hap navarro

vCash

Author By Retired Boxing Writer Bill O'Neill

vCash

Dennis---

It is good to hear from you. I'm sorry your e-mail didn't come through. You probably sent it to sbcglobal which I don't have anymore. The newer one is aol.com (same first part). But I will call you anyway.

Hap---

I'm glad you finally received the article that Dan Hanley wrote about me, "What Makes a Fighter Hall Worthy". It's nice to know I have your support and good wishes.

Frank---

Thanks so much for posting the article that Bill O'Neill wrote about "Puddu's Party". I'm sure the readers like to read an inside story that took place in those days.I never knew anything about the party that night. I only knew that Puddu told the press that he was going to name his newborn child "Angel" after he beat me in Los Angeles. Being that he lost the fight I wonder what he named his child.

El Gato

vCash

El Gato and Gor -- I was thinking about Jose Becerra the other day when one of his fight programs arrived in my mail -- I bought it from another collector. I must say, they made the most beautiful programs for Mr. Becerra's title fights. Here's a great example:

http://www.josportsinc.com/catalog/view.php?id=1544

And Gor, if you're ever looking for a Jose Becerra souvenir, although I don't usually purchase from this dealer, the price is right on -- a steal even.

-Peter

vCash

hey peter,

interesting choice for a boxing program you purchased. if you cross reference that date...feb, 4th 1960 on boxrec. you will see that on the day that becerra ko'd halimi....a young kid down in jiquilipan, mexico ko'd one jose garcia in one round...the kids name was rodolfo gonzalez. busy family that day.
    greg

vCash

That is too cool Greg -- coincidence or what!

vCash

naw...i believe it was a concerted effort on the part of the promoters in jiquilipan to put the LA colliseum out of business.

funny thing is, it seems everytime i go to one of benny georginos casino fights at the luck eagle it is on the nite of a big fight. the first time i went was on the nite of pacman-marquez.

june 10th i am going there to watch our man, chauncy. of course that is the nite of b-hop-tarver....but it doesn't stop benny. he is up to something like 50 cosecutive sellouts now. me and the bucket could sellout there in the main. i would train hard to make the contracted 3 ten second rounds (no weigh in)...a war of attrition.....

anyway...i would rather watch chauncy.
    greg

+ Reply to Thread