gbeyer1952@hotmail.com

greg

vCash

Re: GATO GONZALEZ' DISCUSSION THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by gregbeyer
    zevi...i have the carmona fight.

gbeyer1952@hotmail.com

greg
    Greg ---- I want to talk to you about that fight.

Frank

vCash

also.... i was on a chat room one time years ago and a guy came on and said he had sparred with rodolfo. he said he forgot gato's managers name ...i said " jackie mccoy" and we were on our way. one of the only good expriences i ever had in a chat room. this guy said that gato bopped him around good and after the session jackie felt kind of bad for the guy and said "sorry about that, rodolfo gives a 110% a 110% of the time".

the statement that jackie made about his champions giving him headaches is one of the few times i ever heard jackie publicly bemoan his string of L.A. badboys and he had some doozies. i would say that carlos palomino and rodolfo never gave jackie any trouble but don jordan, raul rojas and mando ramos plus a stint with frankie crawford ....and their escapades... could fill the careers of four managers with sleepness nights.

i always wondered what jackie said to these guys in private when they screwed up. the night before both mando and raul were to fight championship fights at the L.A. colliseum they were AWOL....carousing at the very same titty bar where i first met mando a few years later. they both lost.

before mando fought ruben navarro he stated in the press that he was in great shape and ready to go.....ruben said..." thats not right...he's been partying every nite...i know, cause i was with him". mando eaked by ruben and went on to get his cracks at pedro carasco... another of mandos party mates. when pedro told mando that he was about to sign to fight rodolfo mando's responce was to the point..."pedro...he'll kill you". that fight was never made.

all these guy got all the press while rodolfo suffered from the puzzling desease of nice guy-itis.....jackie even once suggested he go out and get in a bar fight.....but the real affionando's knew one thing for sure...gato could have cleaned all their clocks. his extremely high ko percentage suggests a walk in slugger but that was not the case. like napoles ( whos style was much the same as gato's) rodolfo sugically removed any chance of an opponent lasting the distance.

i saw gato fight and train. i know the careers of many of the guys already in canastota.....i can simply not believe that gato is not there yet. niceguy-itis be damned....canastota needs to open its doors to the great "gato" and give him what he deserves before some of us forget what the IBHOF stands for.
    greg

vCash

frank...just drop a line my friend.
    greg

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gregbeyer
    frank...just drop a line my friend.
    greg
    I'll be calling you greg.

Frank

vCash

Pedro Carrasco

Gato would have eaten Pedro Carrasco for lunch and spit out the bones.
    Gonzales KO, and I mean beatdown KO in about 9 rounds.
    Karl

vCash

Zev, I just watched Gonzalez-Suzuki I. Man, good find my friend and the clarity is great. It's amazing, I haven't seen that fight in 32 years. What's even funnier is how the mind remembers certain things. I always remember that right cross El Gato nailed Suzuki with at the :25 second mark of the 2nd round. The minute I saw it I replayed it a couple of times and it was exactly as I recalled with Suzuki's back to the ropes. Also funny was I think I gave Suzuki the 7th round first time around but now it's actually an easy round for Gonzalez. Who knows what I was thinking? The most noticeable aspect of this film is how skinny Gonzalez looked compared to other fights. No muscle-tone at all. As early as the 2nd round you could see Suzuki was the stronger of the two. And Gonzalez' strength was his signature in fights. To quote Jackie mcCoy: "He looked like a refugee from the Bataan Death March. He was weak as a baby. I thought we were going over there to steal something. It wasn't until the day before the fight I realized the other guy had a chance." Again, great find, Zev. Now you can really impress us if you can find Gonzalez-Cervantes or Gonzalez-Navarro. LOL.

Dan

vCash

Hi El Gato!

Can you ever forgive me for being so slow! I have your copy of the Navarro program here and packaged nicely but I have lost your address that you e-mailed to me -- would you be so kind as to send it again? I apologize profusely for the delay -- just been so disorganized with moving office and dealing with the myriad of classes and appointments with my wife being pregnant!

-Peter

ptomlinson@leelaw.com

vCash

Gato vs Diego Corrales...what a fight that would be!

vCash

Roberto Duran Interview

Hey Rodolpho,

I thought you might enjoy my interview with Roberto Duran, which is now posted online at the link below:

Roberto Duran Interview

Cheers,

Juan

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Elwill7847
    Gato vs Diego Corrales...what a fight that would be!
    El: As much as I admire and respect Diego, Gato would have crushed him to the body and knocked him out with the hooks uptop.
    If you don't beleive me; when Gato was Champion you weighed in the day of the fight.
    Diego is essentially a middleweight when he climbs into the ring 36 hours after he has made 135.
    Diego would have been so dilapidated, a hollow shell of himself that he would have difficulty climbing the steps to the ring at 135, much less being competitive with a maneater like Gato.
    Gato Ko 3 over Diego at a true 135.
    Karl

vCash

your right about that karl. i saw diego at the california luncheon and could not believe he was a lightweight.
    greg

vCash

Hi everyone---

I'm still here. I haven't disappeared. The days have been flying by without much sleep. Labor Day week-end we were at my son's house in Las Vegas (actually came home with more money in my pocket than I left with). My days and nights have been on location filming for several television series, working unusual and long hours.

Frank---

I was glad to see that you posted the photo from the California Boxing Hall of Fame luncheon. And how great it was to meet up with you again after 30 years. Your sons were so young when I last saw them. And now to be at their inductions was very special. You have two great sons and we had some good conversations with each other.

Dan---

I loved seeing the comments in the articles you posted of all those writers.They were the best writers in those days. I sure remember all of them, but I especially knew Rich Roberts and Hank Hollingworth and of course, Bill O'Neill. We met for lunch a few times with my manager in those years. I felt honored that they wrote so highly about me.

Zev---

How nice of you to post the links of my fight against Suzuki. I'm sure there are many readers of this thread that will like watching it. For me it brings back the memories of how weak I was and it confirms for me that it was time for me to retire.

Peter---

Thanks for posting again. I am looking forward to seeing the Navarro fight program. I know how busy you have been so don't worry that you haven't sent it yet.

El, Karl and Greg---

Regarding me fighting Diego Corrales, I have to admit I have never seen him fight, but I did meet him at the California Boxing Hall of Fame luncheon. He's pretty tall and a bit heavy. He doesn't have the look of a typical lightweight.
    The only comment I have is that the fighters of today don't fight the same, however, I developed a boxing style over the years that I could use to adapt to any style of fighter of any size. That made it alot easier for me to win my fights throughout my boxiing career. Having said that I think I could have handled him OK.

Juan---

That was a great interview you had with Ruberto Duran. I'm sure all the readers have enjoyed reading it. I have a classic picture of him and me taken on Main Street in downtown Los Angeles on the day of the biggest boxing card at the Sports Arena on March 17, 1973. I'll try to post it. Since those days we have become friends and when I saw him this past year in Cancun, he invited Barbara and me to visit him in Panama. Maybe someday???

El Gato

vCash

Re: Roberto Duran Interview

Hi Rodolfo,

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it.

By the way, if you would, email me the file of the photo, and I'll happily post it up at the CBZ Newswire page and here, as well.

My email address is: JuanCAyllon@yahoo.com

Cheers,

Juan

vCash

Hello Gato just an interesting bit of info my father sparred with you in Mexico City. He says you guys were going at it easy then you hit him with full power on the nose so emotions got a bit heated and he hit you to the body and he says it was an even sparring session.

vCash

El Gato -- good to have you back -- we missed you!

-Peter

missjovon

Hi Mr. Gonzalez

My name is Miasha "missjovon" Durden. I am the daughter of Thurman Durden and niece of Claude Durden both whom were Welterweights. Mr. Greg Beyer stated you and my uncle were chief sparring partners. I am glad to have joined this website and get some great insights on both my father and uncle career. People who remember my father have always told me great things about him in the ring. And by being on this website I've been getting great replies on those who remember them and their skills.

vCash

Juan---

I hope the photo of Roberto Duran and myself that I e-mailed to you this morning came through OK so that you can post it here.

El Salsero---

Thank you for posting on my thread, however, you must be mistaking me for the other Gato Gonzalez who is from Mexico City and fought in the 80's after I had retired in 1974. I never trained or sparred or fought in Mexico City. My only training and sparring was in Guadalajara with my cousin, Jose Beccera who managed me and then trained briefly in Tijuana where I had moved with my family, until I came to fight in the United States in 1963. I am the WBC Lightweight Boxing Champion of the World who won the title from Chango Carmona in 1972.

Miasha---

It is such a pleasure to have you post on my thread regarding your father and your uncle. Both of them were my friends. Your father, Thurman Durden, trained at the Hoover Gym where I also trained and was also with Jacky McCoy. I watched him spar many times and had alot of respect for him. He was a very strong fighter with a good right hand punch and a classic style of boxing. He was among the best fighters in the "Craddle of Champions" gym. He was always very friendly and had a pleasant personality.

As for your uncle, Claude Durden, besides being a good friend he was one of my toughest sparring partners. We had a few public workouts in Los Angeles at the Olympic Auditorium before my championship fight. Every time we sparred in public people gave us a big applause for such a good workout. Previous to this we had an exibition 4 round workout in San Diego for Mickey Davis Promotions. Our workout was the best of the night, better than the boxing card. People threw money into the ring for both of us. I haven't seen Thurman or Claude since those days. If you have contact with them please give them my best regards. Also I would appreciate it if you can tell me how I can get in contact with them myself.

El Gato

vCash

Duran and Gato in 1973!

Here's a photo of Rodolfo Gonzalez (on the right) and Roberto Duran in Los Angeles in 1973 that "El Gato" graciously emailed me.

You can see a small writeup at the CBZ Newswire page at:

Little Writeup

Cheers,

Juan C. Ayllon

vCash

been many years since i saw the area outside the old main st. gym. gym proprietor howie steindler used to say that the gym was located in wine country but as you can see from the photo there are no grapes growing there.

back around 84-85-86...can't remember which... i was a sheetmetal worker doing highrise construction in L.A. . from the 30th floor of the california plaza project i one day looked down and saw a wrecking ball taking down the old gym. my first reaction was to run down and see if they had taken the old photos off the walls. lot of memories fell to the ball that day.

great photo....would have been a great fight too.

greg

vCash

Great Photo, Rodolfo!

Hey Rodolfo,

That was a great photo! Thanks for sharing that with us.

Have a super weekend,

Juan

vCash

Rodolfo vs. Antonio Cervantes Pic

Rodolfo (left) floors Cervantes in their clash in 1970 at the Olympic Auditorium.

Above is a photo Rodolfo sent me of him versus Antonio Cervantes, while below, we see Rodolfo (left) tangled up with Ruben Navarro in one of their bouts.

Last edited by Juan C Ayllon; 09-17-2006 at 03:59 PM.

missjovon

Hello Mr. Gonzalez,

Thank you so much for replying. I talked to my Uncle Claude last night. I guess he thought I was kind of telling a fib that I have requested info about them and that I've started corresponding to your thread. He said to tell you hello, really excited to hear your name. If you e-mail me at missjovon@yahoo.com, I can give you his phone number. What's really something is my grandmother remember you too! She and my late grandfather were very supportive of my father and uncle boxing career. My grandmother mention other boxing brothers, I couldn't remember their names she told me last night, but stated they'd both passed away. Do you know who she would be referring to? By the way, do you have any old pics of you, my father and uncle? I would just like to see something of them posted on here. I could and have requested pics from my grandmother but she's a little picky.

vCash

Miasha---

Thank you for posting your e-mail address. I will e-mail you tonight. I'm glad you told your Uncle Claude that you had contacted me. I'm looking forward to talking to him. Your grandmother must be referring to the Quarry brothers, Jerry and Mike. Jerry was a heavyweight and Mike was a light heavyweight as I recall. They both have passed away, first Jerry who passed on several years ago and as for Mike, it was just a few months ago. I wsh I could tell you that I had some old photos of your father and your uncle but unfortunately I don't have any. However, I have a few friends who knew them very well and may have some. I will check on it for you.

El Gato

vCash

Rodolfo, recently read an old article on you after your title fight with Navarro. The author interviewed some fight people after the fight and the most memorable quote was from Ray Lunny, the 1940's lightweight who was now training his son Ray Lunny III who fought out of San Francisco. Ray III had recently knocked out Frankie Crawford and the father was quoted as saying, "Bringing my son to watch Rodolfo Gonzalez fight was the smartest thing I've ever done. If he hadn't seen him fight in person, he never would have believed what that man can do." Cool quote, huh?

Dan

vCash

Dan---

I once saw Ray Lunny III fight on TV back in those days but I never met him in person or his father either. The quote that you posted of what his father said about watching me fight is so nice to hear, especially from someone like Ray Lunny and from someone you never met.

I have a question for you. Have you ever come across any article that was published by the news media or heard any rumors from the boxing experts that I was using witchcraft on my opponents? I once had an article that said this because I was making the best fighters in the world look so bad. However, I have misplaced the article. I laughed when I read it in those years.

El Gato

vCash

Rodolfo, I couldn't find anything on the witchcraft angle but i did find a real interesting tidbit that I never knew. Apparently, while Ken Buchanan was champ he was looking for a non-title fight between defenses and his people opened a dialogue with Gilbreath and Villueneva for a non-title 10 rounder in London for the Spring of '71. Jackie McCoy was quoted in this piece as saying, "I think I cost him big time. Some member of the media came up to me and asked what I thought of Rodolfo Gonzalez fighting Buchanan and I said, 'Rodolfo Gonzalez will break Buchanan in two!' and I wasn't even his manager or thinking of becoming his manager. Well suddenly, after me opening my big mouth Gonzalez' people never hear another word from Buchanan." Buchanan went ahead with the non-title 10 rounder, but against Carlos Hernandez. Do you remember any of this going on?

Dan

vCash

vCash

Dan---

I never heard anything about the possibility of me fighting Ken Buchanan. And I never heard that Jacky McCoy had made those comments about me. That is very interesting. I have to agree that with him saying that about me, probably did cause me a problem of not having a fight with Buchanan. I would have loved havinig the opportunity of having a fight with him. The money would have been good too.

Frank---

Thank you for posting the boxing score card of the fight that took place at the Convention Center in Anaheim. Believe it or not, I never knew who fought on the under card until I saw this yesterday. Boy, what a card that was.

To everyone---

Tomorrow, Sat., Oct. 14, is the World Boxing Hall of Fame Induction night. Roberto Duran is one of the inductees and I'm looking forward to seeing him once again. Barbara and I will be there and will be having a great time with Dan Hanley and his father. Also I've talked with Allan "the beatle" Syers and we will be seeing him and his wife too. There will be many others to visit with as well. I will give you a report when I return.

El Gato

vCash

Hello everyone---

Barbara and I just returned from the 2006 World Boxing Hall of Fame Induction activities. It was a bit different this year being that it was held at the Los Angeles Airport Marriot Hotel. This year they did not have the stage with all the champions seated in rows where everyone could see us and we could see our families, friends and all the fans. Instead, we were all seated at a very long one row banquet table on the floor with everyone else.

To begin with I arrived in time to participate in the 10:00am to 3:00pm autograph signing. It was open to the public and I think I signed a thousand autographs(LOL), at least it seemed like it. My fingers were cramping up and I lost 3 of my autograph pens in the first 15 minutes. Before long here comes Rick Farris and his friend and special movie cameraman, Greg Patterson to greet me. I was very honored to meet Greg as he is one of the top camera men in Hollywood. Rick and Greg are doing a feature DVD on me and this was an opportunity for them to film me while I was signing autographs and talking to the fans. Rick and Greg had just come from having breakfast with Dan Hanley and his father and they had discussed ideas on promoting me for Canastota. While they were in the restuarant busy with their strategy session, guess what happened.....?????

Here comes the hostess to seat two people at the table next to them. And these two people where none other than Mando Ramos and his wife, Sivia. Mando sat facing Rick, so here we have two challengers face to face---mano a mano.(LOL). I heard this second hand as I was not there, but maybe Dan Hanley can fill in all the blanks for us. Barbara and I had breakfast with Dan and his father this morning before they left for the airport so they should be back home in Chicago by now.

As for the induction, the inductees were Matthew Saad Muhammad from Philadelpia, Julian Jackson from the Vigin Islands, Eddie Perkins from Mississippi, and Roberto Duran from Panama. They all gave very nice acceptance speaches, but Duran stole the show. He gave credit to God and the American people for his success. He was so swamped afterwards that we only had a chance to hug each other, no time to talk. We visited with so many fans, friends and special people including Ryan O'Neill and Frank Stallone, also Carlos Ortiz and his wife, Maria from New York who we got to know well in Cancun, also Cleto Reyes who is the owner of Reyes Boxing Equipment from Mexico City who treated us so well on our trip to Cancun. Mantequilla Napoles and his wife from Mexico and Jesus Pimental and his wife, Mando Ramos, Kenny Norton and so many others. I could go on and on naming others who are regular attenders. It seems it has become one big family having a reunion every year. I hope this tradition goes on forever.

El Gato

+ Reply to Thread