Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: GATO GONZALEZ' DISCUSSION THREAD

vCash

Re: GATO GONZALEZ' DISCUSSION THREAD

Hello everyone---

Barbara and I just returned from the 2006 World Boxing Hall of Fame Induction activities. It was a bit different this year being that it was held at the Los Angeles Airport Marriot Hotel. This year they did not have the stage with all the champions seated in rows where everyone could see us and we could see our families, friends and all the fans. Instead, we were all seated at a very long one row banquet table on the floor with everyone else.

To begin with I arrived in time to participate in the 10:00am to 3:00pm autograph signing. It was open to the public and I think I signed a thousand autographs(LOL), at least it seemed like it. My fingers were cramping up and I lost 3 of my autograph pens in the first 15 minutes. Before long here comes Rick Farris and his friend and special movie cameraman, Greg Patterson to greet me. I was very honored to meet Greg as he is one of the top camera men in Hollywood. Rick and Greg are doing a feature DVD on me and this was an opportunity for them to film me while I was signing autographs and talking to the fans. Rick and Greg had just come from having breakfast with Dan Hanley and his father and they had discussed ideas on promoting me for Canastota. While they were in the restuarant busy with their strategy session, guess what happened.....?????

Here comes the hostess to seat two people at the table next to them. And these two people where none other than Mando Ramos and his wife, Sivia. Mando sat facing Rick, so here we have two challengers face to face---mano a mano.(LOL). I heard this second hand as I was not there, but maybe Dan Hanley can fill in all the blanks for us. Barbara and I had breakfast with Dan and his father this morning before they left for the airport so they should be back home in Chicago by now.

As for the induction, the inductees were Matthew Saad Muhammad from Philadelpia, Julian Jackson from the Vigin Islands, Eddie Perkins from Mississippi, and Roberto Duran from Panama. They all gave very nice acceptance speaches, but Duran stole the show. He gave credit to God and the American people for his success. He was so swamped afterwards that we only had a chance to hug each other, no time to talk. We visited with so many fans, friends and special people including Ryan O'Neill and Frank Stallone, also Carlos Ortiz and his wife, Maria from New York who we got to know well in Cancun, also Cleto Reyes who is the owner of Reyes Boxing Equipment from Mexico City who treated us so well on our trip to Cancun. Mantequilla Napoles and his wife from Mexico and Jesus Pimental and his wife, Mando Ramos, Kenny Norton and so many others. I could go on and on naming others who are regular attenders. It seems it has become one big family having a reunion every year. I hope this tradition goes on forever.

El Gato

vCash

Hall of Fame weekend

Rodolfo and all, just getting back into the swing of things. LAX wasn't as bad this time and it was good getting back home, but it's always an adventure at the WBHF weekend. Rodolfo, your rendition of the restaurant debacle was an understatement. Man, I tell ya, from where I was sitting I saw Mando enter the restaurant but thought things would be cool until the hostess seats him and Sylvia right next to us with mando facing Rick, who was facing me. Again I was just hoping to get through breakfast but the eggs were starting to taste like paper because my eyes are darting back and forth thinking, "this is not good!" Suddenly a surly comment is yelled across the table and the restaurant appeared (probably my imagination from watching too many westerns) to go quiet. The comment is again repeated and Rick looks over at him. Now, I don't know Mando that well and don't know if he was kidding or serious, but he wasn't smiling so I don't know the intent. Rick then stood up and walked over to the table. At this time I've got one leg half way out from under the table and starting to rise because I'm going to have to get in between these two pugs when they start going at it (and we all know whose going to get his skinny Chicago arse kicked when these two start rockin' and riollin'). However, Rick extended his hand and Mando reciprocated and they sat and talked like old times. Rick was magnanimous in his gesture and a real man about it. Rick, Greg Patterson, my Pops and I eventually made our way into the memorabilia show where we interviewed several fighters which was difficult because of the crowd, but Rick and Greg are pros and got around it. A terrific one was the banter between Matthew Saad Muhammad and Yaqui Lopez, who are great friends, and they both were arguing about whose title they won in their first fight (It was for my NABF title! No! You won it from me that night!) You had to see it to appreciate it. As for the banquet, amazing coincidence, Jim Glen who is a CBZ contributor and the author of "Gilroy was here" was sitting at my table. I didn't know him until he acepted the induction plaque for his Grandfather Bert. We got to talking and realized we had corresponded a few times over this amazing message board. He gave me a copy of the book which I began on the plane and he presented one to Ryan O'Neil which O'Neil was very appreciative of. Jim and his wife were great to talk to and he was really taken when I introduced him to you. Having breakfast with you and Barb topped off the trip, Armando Muniz would not let me leave until he got a chance to give Pops a hug and running into Jose napoles, Jeff Chandler and Saad Muhammad at the airport on their respective flights home sealed a terrific weekend. Talk to you more when I eventually wake up.

Dan

vCash

Sounds like an awesome time El Gato and Dan -- I gotta get out to the West Coast one of these days for a HOF event and hook up with you guys!

vCash

Hi Champ,

I truly believe you deserve to be in the Hall of Fame in Canastota and I have told that to many of the writers who vote who know me well.
    You were a great hard punching champion who proved himself time and again.

I am very happy you met up with Carlos Ortiz and he and I go way back to the mid 1960's when I was his sparring partner along with Willie Munoz up in Ehsan's training camp in Chatham NJ, when he was preparing for his fight with Gabriel "Flash" Elorde in MSG.

I have a nice tape and DVD of Carlos calling into a TV show I did where we recall those days together in training camp in a National interview we did.

He was some great champ too.

I hope to meet you one day, it would be an honor for me.

best wishes always,

Ron Lipton

vCash

Rodolfo, was doing a little research and came across an interesting piece of El Gato trivia. The article I read stated that there were 2 Japanese promoters vieing for your services back in the day. The one was for the Suzuki fight for a purse of $75,000, the other was for Shinichi Kadota for $85,000. Jackie chose Suzuki because he felt Kadota was southpaw and way too unorthodox. However, only a couple of hours after Jackie signed the Suzuki contract, Kadota's promoter upped his bid to $125,000. Jackie stated, "for $10,000 more it wasn't worth it, but for another $40,000 it would have been." The plan, according to the article was after disposing of Suzuki Jackie had 2 more offers to consider. One was $125,000 to fight Ken Buchanan in Scotland and a big one from South Africa to fight Andries Steyn for $140,000. Of course at your peak you would have gone through Suzuki, Kadota and Steyn like a dose of salts. Buchanan would have been a different package but I feel you would have pounded out a 15 round decision. Do you remember any of this going on at the time? What are your thoughts on these fights?

Dan

vCash

Ron---

Thank you for believing in me and for your support for wanting me in the Hall of Fame in Canastota. I didn't know that you were a sparring partner of Carlos Ortiz. He was a great figjhter who I respected very much and anyone who was a sparring partner of his would have to be among the best. Do you happen to have a tape of any of his fights that I could have? We got to know him pretty well in Cancun. His wife, Maria and Barbara went off on a shopping spree with Rafeal Herrera's wife also and they all became friends too. I hope someday to met you too, Ron, either at the World Boxing Hall of Fame on the West coast or wouldn't it be great if we could all meet at Canastota?

Dan---

Wow! Where did you find all this information??? I never heard a word about any of these possible fights that you mentioned. As for my thoughts on all of this, in the lightweight division I would not have been able to handle any of these fighters anymore because of my wieght problem. But if they would have given me a chance in the welterweight division with any of the top fighters in those days including "Mantequilla" Napoles, I know in my heart, I could have defeated them. Getting back to the possible fights with Kadota, Buchanan, or Steyn, I have no idea why I was never told about these fights and about the big purses. It looks like my manager realized my weight problem and had given up on me.

El Gato

vCash

bump
    Last edited by gregbeyer; 10-30-2006 at 02:41 PM.

vCash

Great Warrior,

Whatever I own would be an honor to share with a gentleman like you.

Mail me your address and I shall send you the Ortiz V Battling Torres fight and the DVD of Carlos and me on National TV. Also Carlos v Lou Filipo.

My E-mail is RLipt8@aol.com

I promise I will not stop trying to help get you into the Hall of Fame.
    Your ring record speaks for itself and you are one of boxing's most honorable men.

The Hall of Fame should be honored to have you in it.

With all respect,

Ron

vCash

Rodolfo, even weight-drained I feel you would handle Kadota and Steyn. Kadota was a good body puncher but Jackie was right when he said he was too unorthodox, because Kadota was a bit of a wild man but he was always wide open for a counter punch. I don't see him going past 4 rounds with you. Steyn would have been easier. He could not show you anything you hadn't seen before and I could only see him going about 7 rounds with you. Of course, you know the shape you were in and what you were going through to make 135 better than anyone else. It must have been murder after a long career holding that weight.

Dan

vCash

Ron---

Thank you for the e-mails you have sent me to connect me with your own personal story which is very touching and the other great stories you have written and photos too. Also your last e-mail telling me to be on the lookout for a super great package of DVD's you have put together for me. Wow! Involving yourself, Carlos Ortiz, Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, Emile Griffith and Floyd Patterson. I'll feel like a kid in a candy store and can't wait for the package to arrive so I can watch all of them. I can remember hearing these names when I was just getting started in boxing in Guadalajara. Jose Becerra used to tell me about theses fighters and how great they were. And now after all these years I am friends with Carlos and Emile, and of, course you, Ron, even though we have yet to meet. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of this for me. Also for your continued efforts to get me inducted into Canastota.

Dan---

At that point of my career I was too weak to fight anyone. Can you imagine a 30 year old man, with a wife and three kids trying to keep his weight down to 135 lbs.??? I did a lot of faking when I fought Puddu and Suzuki. I feel I probably could not have handled Kadota or Steyn. I just didn't have the strength to keep them away from me. Not only was I weak physically, but mentally I just didn't have the desire to continue anymore being that I couldn't get a fight in the welterweight division for the Championship of the World against "Mantequilla" Napoles. It was time for me to hang up my gloves.

By the way, a couple of days ago I spoke with "Mantequilla" who lives in Juarez, Mexico and has a stable of fighters. We have agreed to work together to promote his fighters in the US. He is having the same problem most managers have---getting fighters that will stick to the sport. There are so many more distractions for this young generation than in the "good old days". As you may have noticed I don't have any more fighters of my own. It is so disappointing when you have put so many hours of work into them and have had a belief in them that they don't have in themselves.

El Gato

vCash

Rodolfo, how long were you experiencing problems at the weight? I noticed for the Donnie Sennet fight you came in at 140 and most of the fights before Carmona you were around 137-139. Was this a problem for awhile? In fact just before fighting Carmona Ring magazine had you rated as their #2 Jr. Welterweight in the world. Would this have been a better weight class for you?

Also, how much do you remember about David (Zapata) Rodriguez and your fight with him?

Dan

vCash

Rodolfo, just heard that you and Mando were going to be onhand at the Doubletree Hotel for Chango Carmona on Monday the 20th, who is finally supposed to receive his championship belt????? Man, it's about time they gave the poor guy his belt. It's only been 34 years and all he's got to remember for his trouble is that spanking you administered. Tell us about the event when you return.

Dan

vCash

Dan---

I had problems with my weight since 1969 when I fought Steve Freeman in Los Angeles and it continued. I fought Antonio Cervantes at 140 lbs and had to come down from 149 lbs. I fought several others--Javier Jimenez, Ernie Villaflor, and Beto Gonzalez. It definitely was a better weight class for me but when Antonio Cervantes became the Jr. Welterweight Champion, he wouldn't give me a fight.It came out in the newspapers that his manager didn't want any part of Gonzalez. That's why they put me in the Jr. Welterweight ratings. I hardly remember anything about David Rodriguez only that he had a very strong left hook and a little wild with his punches and one could have put me down. He had a weak chin and that's where I hit him that put him down.

Yes, Carmona and Mando will be at the Ken Thompson Boxing Show in Ontario on Monday night. I think they have arranged for me to present Carmona with a belt, being that he handed over his belt to me the night I beat him. That's how the boxing rules were in those days. I'll let all of you know how the presentation goes.

El Gato

vCash

El Gato!

I look forward to a full update on Tuesday how Monday evening went! I hope you have a great time -- as always, I wish I was there!

Did you see that the man your cousin Jose Becerra won the Bantamweight World Championship from, Alphonse Halimi, passed away last week? Very sad.

-Peter

vCash

Rodolfo, after talking to you last night I was amazed that you were told that David Zapata Rodriguez was a 4 round fighter. In fact, he was a ten round fighter coming off of 2 hard 10 rounders against Kid Irapuato. Their first fight was a main event at the Olympic Auditorium in November of '59 in which Rodriguez won a unanimous decision. Their second fight was down in Mexicali in early '60 in which Irapuato copped the decision. In April you knocked out Rodriguez in 3 rounds. Not bad for a 14 year old who thought he was fighting a 4 round fighter.

Like Peter, I am looking forward to hearing how the presentation to Carmona went.

Dan

vCash

Hi Everyone--

Here is the report of last night at the Doubletree in Ontario. First of all, it was a sell out event.We arrived early to beat the traffic---myself , Barbara and Tony Contreras (who has a boxing gym in San Marcos and who has several professional fighters that he would like to get booked up for the Ken Thompson Boxing Promotions this coming year).

Before the fights began there was plenty of time to greet old friends of boxing and to meet new people. Some of those we talked with were Marco Antonio Barrera and his manager, also Mando Muniz, Lou Felipo, Ken and Vera Thompson, Dr. Noriega and his wife, Carlos Baeza and Chango Carmona and his family. We sat at the media table with Johnny Ortiz to watch the big boxing card of 5 fights. Johnny had brought some old photos to give to me of himself with Antonio Banderas and Woody Harrison and others. It was really nice of him. The first four fights were pretty well matched and the crowd cheered their favorites. It was very noisy, loud music and all. Then came the moment for the presentation of the belt to Chango Carmona before the main event. We ere both called into the ring. Mando Ramos was not able to be there to do a hip surgery that he had to have the day before. Others were in the ring for the presentation. Danny Valdivia announced that I was there to give the belt to Chango Carmona since he did not receive a WBC belt for 34 years. However, I did not hand him the belt directly. Some other guy got into the act and handed it to him, but I did help him put it around his waist. He was very emotional and tears came to his eyes. Many pictures were taken of all of us, especially the two of us. It was a very happy occasion.

The last fight was for the North American Lightweight Championship. Ken Thompson's fighter, Josesito Lopez, fought a fighter from Durango, Mexico who dominated the fight until the 7th round when Lopez caught him with a right hand punch to the chin and finished him off with a left hook. The referee stopped the fight and Joseito won the belt and of course the crowd went wild.

This was Barbara's first big boxing show and she really had a great time. We were almost the last ones out of the show with all the commotion going on afterwards. It was another very memorable event.

El Gato

vCash

Rodolfo, the event sounded like it was an awesome time. I don't blame Carmona for crying, 34 years without his belt, the WBC should be ashamed of itself.

By the way, how much do you remember about sparring with Paul Armstead? Apparently you made an impact on him. He was a rated contender and you were just up and coming when he quoted to a scribe who had asked what it was like sparring with you, he said, "He keeps coming at you all the time. You can't even have an easy workout in the gym with him."

Also, check out the thread on the old timers page called, "the 100 greatest punchers of all time". Barry Deskins takes the concept started with Ring magazine and names 100 in his opinion. He has you rated alot higher than Ring magazine did. He has you at #46.

Dan

vCash

Dan---

I remember sparring with Paul Armstead in Feb. of 1972 at the Hoover Gym. He was a little taller than me and had longer arms. His style was very ackward and he was hard to hit and it was frustrating for me trying to catch him with a punch---any punch, that's why I had to keep on top of him. Probably he was the most difficult sparring partner that I ever boxed with.

I had never seen Barry Deskins "100 greatest punchers list." I want to thank him for ranking me as high as #46. However, I felt that some of those that he ranked above me that I knew personally, I could hit harder than they did. Many of my knockouts in my prime were one punch KO's either at the liver or the chin and they were hard. One of those fights was with Claudio Adame when I hit him with a right uppercut that put him on the canvas and tore the glove about 3 inches. There are others that I could mention. Those that Barry listed above me were great fighters that I have alot of respect for and some are my friends but here are the names of those that I felt I hit harder than they did---#6 Ruben Olivares, #10 Carlos Zarate, #11 Danny Lopez, #15 Richardo Moreno, #19 Wilfredo Gomez, #25 Jesus Pimental, #42 Alfonso Zamora. There are many who hit very hard who I noticed are not included. The three that I would rank among this list are Carlos Monson, Jose Beccera. and Carlos Ortiz. The hardest puncher I ever saw in my time was Tommy Hearns who is listed but I feel he should be ranked in the top 10.

I hope I am not offending anyone, this is only my opinion.

El Gato

vCash

Happy Birthday Champ

Do you guys realise our very own *Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez* is sixty one today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHAMP
    Danny

vCash

Happy Birthday, Champ!

Best,

Juan

vCash

Rodolfo, happy birthday, mi amigo. Hey, I heard in the wind that you recently met up with a former opponent. You gotta fill us in.

Dan

vCash

Danny, Juan, and Dan---

Thank you so much for your birthday wishes.
    I worked on the set from 7:00pm on the 15th to 2:30am on the 16th. We took a break at mid-night and as a surprise to me, the director ordered In 'n Out Burgers (Double-double's) for about 75 of us plus the Starbuck's truck came and we all had whatever special coffee drink we wanted. Then they all sang Happy Birthday to me. That was really special.
    Barbara and I went to dinner that night at a local Steak House. We had a nice dinner, just the two of us, and enjoyed the holiday decorations and a quiet evening together.

Dan---

Regarding the contact with my former opponent, this is what happened.
    I received a phone call about a week ago from a man who asked if I could get him some of his fight tapes. I had no idea who I was calling so I asked who I was speaking to and he said Bobby Valdez, the one who beat you two times. Actually I fought him three times. The first time was in Nov. 1965 and I lost by a 10 round decision. The second time was in Dec. 1965 and it was a technical draw in the first round. We butt heads and one of us got a big cut and they stopped the fight. The third time was in May 1966 and I lost to him by KO in the 9th round. All of these fights were right after my miracle healing of my liver illness and I was still weak and not fully recuperated. The last time I saw Bobby was when I fought him on May 20, 1966. That 's over 40 years ago. We never spoke on that night or any other night until this phone call. It was a shock to hear from him, and even more so when I found out he lives in Escondido about 20 miles from my house. He wants me to try to help him find some of his fight tapes. Can any of you help with this request????

This next couple of weeks will be busy for many of us with shopping, parties, traveling, spending time with our families and putting on a few extra pounds.

Barbara and I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year filled with God's blessings.

El Gato

vCash

Rodolfo and Barbara

Happy Holiday Day's to you.

From the Baltazar's

vCash

El Gato -- sorry I missed out on sending you birthday wishes on time -- so please accept this belated Happy Birthday from me!

And best wishes to you and your family for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Warmest regards,

-Peter

vCash

Rodolfo, how you doin' mi amigo? Hey we have to shake some cobwebs from this message board my friend. I'm curious how your relationship is going with Mantequilla Napoles? Have you and he begun moving some of the fighters in his stable to promotions in the States? Who does he currently have under contract? Man, everytime I think of you and he I think what a waste when he was defending against someone like Horacio Saldano when he could have been really putting his belt on the line against you.

Dan

vCash

Hello Everyone---

I can't believe it has been almost a month since I have posted on my thread. You are right, Dan, we need to revive it.

First of all, I want to thank Frank and all the Baltazar's for their holiday good wishes, also thank you to Peter. How's the weather in Canada, Peter. It is 65 degrees here in San Diego and I'm freezing.

To start where I left off. Barbara and I drove to Mammoth Mountain for a couple of days to spend Christmas with her family at a ski resort condo. We had a great time. They skied and we watched. We didn't want to break a leg. We also visited the town with many nice shops and restaurants, but mostly we relaxed in front of the fireplace. It was all so beautiful. The day after Christmas we drove through the Sierra Nevada Mountains on an isolated road that was so amazing with it's variety of scenery and after six hours arrived in Las Vegas to celebrate a second Christmas with my son, Gabriel and his wife and with my daughter, Martha and her husband and my 15 year old grandson who had just flown in from Maine. A happy time for all. After several days there we returned to Oceanside and spent a peaceful New Years with more family and friends. It didn't end there as on the 6th of Jan. Barbara and I drove to Solvang, north of Santa Barbara, for several days at our TimeShare to celebrate her birthday. It was another wonderful time, however, we both came down with colds, probably from all the cold weather that we aren't used to.

Dan---

Regarding Mantequilla Napoles, I spoke to him before Christmas and we will be talking again soon. He wants me to represent his best welterweight fighter who is undefeated and who he thinks could be the next welterweight champion of the world. I am very excited to start working with him because I think he is one of the best classic fighters I have ever seen. I'll let you know how things progress. He also has several other fighters I will be looking at.

Dan, as for me ever fighting Mantequilla, before my retirement I did challange him publically and it was published in many newspapers in Mexico. He was already committed under contract to fight somebody else and I didn't want to wait so that is when I picked up the phone and called the Los Angeles Times to announce my retirement.

I'd like to hear from some of the CBZ writers. How is everybody doing? I love to read your comments.

El Gato

vCash

A young Rodolfo GONZALEZ

vCash

By the way, a couple of days ago I spoke with "Mantequilla" who lives in Juarez, Mexico and has a stable of fighters. We have agreed to work together to promote his fighters in the US.

He is having the same problem most managers have---getting fighters that will stick to the sport. There are so many more distractions for this young generation than in the "good old days".

As you may have noticed I don't have any more fighters of my own. It is so disappointing when you have put so many hours of work into them and have had a belief in them that they don't have in themselves.
    Hey Gato,

Happy New Year!

By the way, as you and Mantequilla are looking to promote fighters in the U.S., is there any chance you'd send fighters to Chicago? If you do, perhaps you could come out and we could meet!

Have a great day,

Juan

vCash

Rodolfo "Gato" Gonzalez

vCash

El Gato!

It's good to have you back! Toronto is cold -- I am freezin' my butt off here! Seriously, not that you'd be looking, but if you saw me, you'd say, "That man has no ass!" Actually, it's not the cold, it's the ice from the freezing rain that's a killer -- I nearly broke a leg taking out the garbage!

El Gato, are you thinking of coming East to Canastota maybe in June? I am disappointed this wasn't "our" year but I promised myself long ago to attend this June -- I know you are a travelling man, so please, think about it! If Mantequilla is coming, El Gato should as well!

Dan -- you should come too if you aren't already, along with all our other friends from the Gato group -- Greg, Mr. B -- I already invited Danny but he can't make it -- hell, you can all come stay with me in the Tomlinson homestead in Manotick (it's a small town "just" a few hours from Canastota). I am getting a roadtrip started (OK, it's my dad and brother for now) but I can't think of a better excuse to get together. Then I'll HAVE to make it out West for the WBHOF ceremonies in California!

Just think about it for now... I've retired from my law practice to stay home with our new little guy and, not that I don't love him, I need to get out and about!

-Peter

+ Reply to Thread