Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: GATO GONZALEZ' DISCUSSION THREAD

vCash

Re: GATO GONZALEZ' DISCUSSION THREAD

Hi El Gato!

I'll put that together and get the copy to you ASAP. Can you e-mail me your address? ptomlinson@leelaw.com

Take care,

-Peter

vCash

Peter---

I will e-mail you my address. I would really like to have a copy of the program for my collection. I do have the large original poster from my second Navarro fight. That was one of the biggest fight cards they had in the State of California in those years. The date was March 17, 1973.

The cards reads:
    World Lightweight Title
    15 Rounds
    Rodolfo Gonzalez vs. Ruben Navarro
    World WBC Champ Challanger

Lightweights 10 rounds Non-title
    Roberto Duran vs. Javier Ayala
    WBA Champ No.8 Jr. Welterweight

10 rounds Featherweights
    "Little Red" Lopez vs. Kenji "Ace" Endo
    No. 5 in the World No. 5 Orient

10 rounds Lightweights
    Chango Carmona vs. Jimmy Heair
    Ex-World Champ Wants Title Shot

Ringside tickets $25.00 / Elevated R.S. and Lower Loge $15.00/ Upper balcony $10.00

I have a question for everybody-----

How much do you think it would cost for a ticket to see a fight card like this today??????????????

El Gato

vCash

Rodolfo, I saw those fights in '72 and '73. I always saw them on a delayed basis. I've tried scouring every place for them but to no avail. Hopefully one of these days these lost tapes will reappear.

Dan

vCash

crazy thing is i have the danny lopez - ace endo fight on tape...for some reason the others on that same card i cannot find.
    greg

vCash

Hi El Gato -- I will get you that copy ASAP -- I am just visiting my family out of town for the weekend. My program is in rough shape so I'll take it to a good copy shop and make sure the copy looks great for you.

BTW, that is a killer card -- I would definitely pay an arm (and a leg) to see that fight card live!

-Peter

vCash

Hey Champ,

The Bucket asked me to share this article about the bantams of the 1950s which includes a profile on your couisn Jose Becerra. It's a shame that Jose seems to be forgotten these days. He was one hell of a fighter, and a true one punch knockout artist!

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/wail900_cuoco.htm

vCash

Gato Gonzalez

vCash

Dan1213---

What a terrific article that was in the WAIL 2000 of all the bantamweights of the 50's. I only knew a few of them personally but I had heard of all of them. I knew they were great fighters with big names in those days, but I didn't know all the details, the outstanding stories and records of those boxing heros.

That is very true what you wrote about my cousin, Jose Becerra when he came to Guadaljara as the Bantamweight Champion of the World after he beat Halimi. The celebration with a parade and all was overwhelming and it was on that very day that I was inspired to become famous like him. And I also know for a fact that he was never the same after Walter Ingram died and that he lost his desire to continue to fight.

Thank you so much for printing this article. Also thanks to Gordoom. By the way, we met so many of these fighters that you mentioned when we attended the reunion in Cancun this past year--Jose Becerra, Raul "Raton" Macias. Ruben Olivares, Carlos Zarate, Rafael Herrera, Lupe Pintor, and Alfonso Zamora. It was so great to be with them.

Kikibalt---

I was wondering where you found this picture of me that you posted. I don't remember who took it and when and where it was taken. I know you didn't take it because I haven't seen you for at least 30 years.

El Gato

vCash

Rodolfo how is it that you dont have many of your fights on film?Were you ever offered any by the Olympic or K.T.L.A.?

vCash

Last edited by kikibalt; 08-12-2006 at 09:21 PM.

vCash

vCash

Olympic Auditorium---

To answer your question, none of the major TV channels offered me any of my fight films except for KMEX who gave me a copy of my championship fight with Chango Carmona and my fight with Antonio Puddu. I recently tried to get my others fight tapes from them plus 2 other major channels--KTLA-channel 5, KCOP-channel 13 but they told me they don't have them in their archives which is very disappointing.

Frank---

Thank you for posting the pictures that were taken the year I was inducted into the World Boxing Hall of Fame. The first photo is in the restaurant and sitting next to me is Chiquita Gonzalez and his wife and next to them is Pipino Cuevas and his wife. These boxers were also inducted that night. Across the table from me is Dan Hanley's dad and next to him is Adolfo Perez, a board member.
    The second photo is on the patio when we were signing autographs. To the left of me is the heavyweight, Ernie Terrell and on my right side is Bobby Chacon.
    The third photo is of Dan Hanley in the center and myself and Chango Carmona.
    The fourth photo is when I am being presented my medal as I am being inducted. Sabatino Arbucci, board member who gave the presentation is shaking my hand and Norm Cote, President is standing behind me. Pipino Cuevas is seated.
    The last photo is of me holding my trophy next to Dan Hanley's dad.

El Gato

vCash

A Teaser from My Interview with Roberto Duran

Hi Rodolfo,

I hope all's well with you and yours.

By the way, I'm transcribing a tape I made yesterday of a conference call interview with Roberto Duran and with the Chief of Operations of his promotional partnership, DRL, Arturo Sanchez. The interview piece should be going up in the next issue of "Wail!"

Here's a snippet based on a question offered by Dan Hanley:

JUAN AYLLON: Now, with Gonzalez, I understand that there was a match set up in 1972 with matchmaker Don Chargin, Gonzalez, McCoy, and the Olympic Stadium in L.A. I was informed that there was a fall-out with your manager, Carlos Eleta, and you began listening to General Torrijos, the military boss of Panama, who wanted no part of Gonzalez. They pulled you out, according to my sources. Why did you allegedly listen to Torrijos and why did he protect you so?

RD: No, no, that’s really not what happened. There’s more to the story than meets the eye. General Torrijos had nothing to do with my boxing career, nor was he my manager. That had nothing to do with my boxing career!

I’ll say one thing: if Gonzalez would have fought me, he would have gotten nowhere.

The truth of the matter is that “Gato” never wanted to fight Duran! That’s the truth of the matter. And if he would have fought me, he knows what would have happened.
    I know this flies in the face of things you've said here in the past, but I thought you'd find his comments interesting.

Duran, who could be a bit fiery at times, went on to say a little more on that question, as well as answer a bunch of others.

Your reaction?

Regards,

Juan C. Ayllon

vCash

Juan, if you don't mind me jumping in here, I should tell you that I half expected that kind of an answer from Duran but hoped for a more enlightening explanation from him. As you say about him being a bit fiery at times, he may have bristled at the thought of being told what to do by Torrijos and/or leaving town. To defend Duran, it doesn't appear to have been fear, certainly not from Duran who feared no man or beast, but not from Torrijos either, who Chargin said wanted nothing to do with Gonzalez or the west coast. It appeared to be more a thing with him where he said that Torrijos wanted to take him simply in another direction. That direction of course appeared to be strictly the safe confines of Panama if you look at his record with the title on the line. Anyways, Chargin's explanation holds more water as he was on the inside, knew all the players for sometime (he was down in Panama for the aborted promotion between Mando Ramos and Ismael Laguna) and I think I trust his source who explained the sudden pullout rather than Duran's macho bravado in this case. That source was Don Chargin's good friend, whom he still speaks highly of today, Carlos Eleta. I am looking forward to the interview however, Juan. Good job. It sounds like it was a rough one.

Dan

vCash

A Quote from my Transcript...

Hey Dan,

ROBERTO DURAN [Directly to me]: Iím sorry for you, but you [ask] too much questions. Iím sorry. Finish! Finish!
    Thanks! It was an interesting interview. Sometimes he answered questions with surprising candor, and at other times proved evasive or went in an entirely different direction that the question addressed.

In all fairness, he had just completed a long day of media interviews, with several fighters of his stable fighting the next day. And, according to his daughter, he'd been out late the night before.

I think you'll enjoy the finished product.

Cheers,

Juan

vCash

Hey Juan, while re-reading these quotes, does it appear to you that the question agitated him? Of course I'm reading it one dimensionally whereas you were present at actually hearing his reactions. Was it a case that all your questions were answered in this manner or did this one strike a nerve? Any interview I've done all the fighters were sweethearts and very forthcoming, it seems you had your hands full on this one. However, it still sounded like a cool experience.

Dan

vCash

Juan---

First of all , I was not aware of any fight that had been arranged in 1972 between me and Duran. Dan Hanley told me all about this awhile back but it was all new to me. The only time I was aware of such a possibility of a fight between us was on March 17, 1973. It was the night that I defended my title against Ruben Navarro at the Sports Arena in LA. Roberto Duran fought a ten round non title fight against Javier Ayala and he beat Ayala by decision. After the fight in my dressing room Jacky and I discussed the possibility of me and Duran fighting for the title so Jacky went outside my dressing room and Duran's manager was passing by so he asked him the question. Without hesitation his manager said, No, you keep your title and we'll keep ours. I know this for a fact because I heard the conversation. As for Duran. I know he would fight anybody anywhere.
    I was disappointed because I was at my best in those days and the money would have been really great. I'm sure if the fight would have taken place, it would have been the toughest fight in our careers for both of us.

El Gato

vCash

In reference to Chartchai passing out - he had an awful time making weight, ballooning up to 150 lbs. or more between fights. He would be given diuretics and medicine to make him crap out additional weight. He had me rolling when he told me how he'd have a needle in his arm but needed to run to the toilet over and over again - whooosssshhhhh, he would tell me and he'd be better for another five minutes - this was in many of his fights. Somehow he would manage to make weight AND fight even though my guess is it was extremely dangerous for him to be doing this.
    Last edited by smallon; 08-21-2006 at 04:39 AM.

vCash

Thanks, Rodolfo!

Hi Rodolfo,

Thanks for your input. I'm going to try and include your response in my piece on Duran.

Cheers,

Juan

vCash

( L to R )

Rodolfo "Gato" Gonzalez, Frank Baltazar and Tony Baltazar

California Boxing Hall Of Fame Luncheon, 2006
    Last edited by kikibalt; 08-22-2006 at 03:26 PM.

vCash

Man, Rodolfo The Champ looks in better shape than Tony Baltazar who is way younger than him!
    Bill O'Neill has always told me that Rodolfo was the most underrated Lightweight Champion Ever.

vCash

karl,
    i saw that picture being taken and i agree.....gato is still in great shape but tony still looks like he could throw that famous hook.
    greg

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gregbeyer
    karl,
    i saw that picture being taken and i agree.....gato is still in great shape but tony still looks like he could throw that famous hook.
    greg
    One of the biggest robberies I can remember seeing is when Tony wiped the floor with Howard Davis Jr. and was cheated of the decision by corrupt officials.
    The great Roger Mayweather was so intimidated by Tony's hook that he fought with his right hand glued to the right side of his head remember?
    Karl

vCash

karl,

that is one of the fights that frank sr. gave me the other day at the induction. i had not seen it since the actual fight but remember feeling like you do about it. what i had fogotten was that the fight was scored on rounds. one judge only gave tony two rounds which was totaly ridiculous because tony was picking off most of howards shots. to only give him the knockdown rounds was a joke. the announcers seemed to think that tony had won it. a perfect case for the points system.

i asked frank why he smiled at tony and why tony smiled back at him after the decision and frank told me it was because they knew they were not going to get it minus a ko. he said a west coast guy going east to fight an east coast hotshot had to win by ko. still pisses me off because tony deserved that win.
    greg

vCash

BTW. he also gave me the mayweather fight and roger stunk the place out. should have been dq'd. ran like a thief.
    greg

vCash

I remember when Norman Goins losing a questionable
    decision to Howard Davis, who knocked down once or
    twice in the bout. Give Davis some credit because he
    did get up and continued to fight.

- Chuck Johnston

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gregbeyer
    karl,

that is one of the fights that frank sr. gave me the other day at the induction. i had not seen it since the actual fight but remember feeling like you do about it. what i had fogotten was that the fight was scored on rounds. one judge only gave tony two rounds which was totaly ridiculous because tony was picking off most of howards shots. to only give him the knockdown rounds was a joke. the announcers seemed to think that tony had won it. a perfect case for the points system.

i asked frank why he smiled at tony and why tony smiled back at him after the decision and frank told me it was because they knew they were not going to get it minus a ko. he said a west coast guy going east to fight an east coast hotshot had to win by ko. still pisses me off because tony deserved that win.
    greg
    Greg:
    Can you imagine Lou Duva or Angelo Dundee in Baltazars corner?
    Howard knew he lost that fight.
    Karl

vCash

yeah...screaming bloody murder.
    greg

vCash

Boxing writers

Rodolfo, I was doing a bit of research the other day and found a few articles on you from back in the day. Just about all these writers had some glowing statements of you. To quote a few:

Dave Lewis wrote: "Rodolfo Gonzalez is one of the most promising lightweights in the world today and is definitely championship material. Gonzalez can fight from 130-135 lbs and declared publicly he would love to fight Kang Il Suh, who beat Mando Ramos last week. However, the Korean's handlers want no part of him."

Dave Taylor wrote (just after your bout with Claudio Adame) "The 21 year old Gonzalez put on a rythmic, glass-smooth show of master boxing as he literally picked Adame to pieces." He also referred to you as "having hand grenades in both mitts."

Rich Roberts wrote about your training habits and some of Jackie McCoys past and current pupils. He quoted Jackie: "All the world champs I've had have given me headaches, except for Rodolfo. You know that guy's not going to goof off."

Hank Hollingworth always compared you to Archie Moore, due to the way fighters avoided you.

And on that note, one of my favorite columnists, Bill O'Neill wrote: "If proprieter Howie Steindler ever wanted to evacuate the Main Streeet Gym in a hurry, he wouldn't have to yell, "Fire!"; he could get the same result by asking quietly, "Who wants to fight Rodolfo Gonzalez?" O'Neill also stated, "The trouble with finding someone to fight him is that the opponent may not receive enough to cover the medical expenses which would result from such a meeting."

Great lines. Do you remember these columnists, Rodolfo?

Dan

vCash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5bZsjaL6uk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yc-BoSlpg4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUdQU0PeH0g

I found Rodolfo's first fight with Guts Suzuki on Youtube. It's in three parts.

I just wish I could see his earlier fights, namely when he won the title from Carmona.

+ Reply to Thread