Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: GATO GONZALEZ' DISCUSSION THREAD

beddows

Re: Rodolfo

Sorry, trying to post a pic of Rodolfo with CBZ writer Dan Hanley, to no avail.

Dan Hanley

Another 'El Gato'?

Rodolfo, I was just scanning some of the boxing news of the day and a name caught my eye. Frankie 'El Gato' Figueroa. He has a record of 11-2 with 9 KO's and fights out of the east coast. I am reminded of that beer commercial from the '80s where the subject is having a name to live up to. The commercial showed a young aspirant walking into a gym and telling the old trainers he wants to be a fighter. The trainers ask his name and he tells them, "Dempsey, Sir. Jack Dempsey!" The trainers roll their eyes and exclaim, "Another Jack Dempsey!" He gets in the ring and knocks out one of their fighters. The narrator rattles off his lines, "When you've got a name that needs living up to....". Let's wish Frankie well because he does have a name that needs living up to.

Dan

StingerKarl

Puddu

Bill O'Neill just sent me the Gonzales-Puddu fight yesterday.
    Gato beat that guy down like he was a weak sparring partner.
    Gonzales broke him down in the engine room, and beat him to a pulp.
    Puddu wanted no part of Gato after the first round.
    Those left hooks underneath took his soul out of the fight.
    Ouch!
    Karl

Flatnose

Olympic

Champ. how've you been? It's been awhile since I tickled the keys here, my man. Still can'r believe everything that has been written is gone. Anyways, had to drop you a note when I heard about the sale of the Olympic to a Korean church. At leat it will be used constructively, but gone are the days those halls would be talkin' about your left hook to the liver. Makes you kinda sad, don't it?

Flatnose

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Puddu fight and Olympic Auditorium

Karl---

I'm glad to hear that Bill O'Neill sent you my fight video against Antonio Puddu. I wrote about it before on the first page of this thread but didn't give you all the details. Before the fight I had been ill and had a fever for several days. The day of the fight my fever was still high. Jacky McCoy didn't want to cancel the fight because it was such an important fight as it was my first defense against the #1 in the world and as many of you know a world champion has to defend his title against the #1 in the world within 90 days. Right before the fight the State Athletic Commission doctor came to my dressing room and gave me a shot to lower down my temperature that was 103. By the grace of God, I put Puddu down in the second round which scared him good. He ran from me the rest of the fight which was a blessing because I was out of strength by the third round and faked the rest of the fight. True confessions!

Flatnose---

I hadn't heard about the Olympic Auditorium being sold.
    That is very sad. That building was so special. It should have been kept as a historical arena. It would have been a perfect place for the World Boxing Hall of Fame to have as a museum for all the great boxing legends who entertained hundreds of thousands of people throughout more than half a century. I wonder why there wasn't an effort to keep the building for a historical museum.

El Gato

Flatnose

1st fight with Suzuki

Champ, by any chance do you or anyone else on this thread know the scoring of your 1st fight with Suzuki through the first 7 rounds? I know its a horrible fight, my man, but I still felt you were ahead on points before the exhaustion stoppage came into play.

Flatnose

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Suzuki Score

Flatnose---

I don't have the scoring information on the first fight but I am trying to get it for you through Dan Hanley. I only remember that Jacky McCoy and Benny Georgino who were in my corner had to help me get up from the stool sometimes when the bell rang. I was so weak from having to lose 20 lbs in 10 days.

El Gato

Dan Hanley

Re: Suzuki Score

Flatnose, got the info for ya, sorry it took awhile, but here goes. In their first fight, which is Rodolfo's worst fight by the way due to the weak as a day old deer condition he was in, after 7 completed rounds Judge Rudy Jordan of the US scored it 33-31 for Gonzalez on the 5 point must system, or 4-2-1 in rounds. Referee Larry Rozadilla of the US scored it 32-32 or 3-3-1 in rounds. Judge Akimitsu Sasaki of Japan scored it 33-32 for Suzuki or 3-2-2 in rounds. My scorecard was 4-1-2 for Gonzalez coming very close to Jordan's card. However, wanting to get a proper feel for this fight, I contacted Joe Koizumi who covered both Gonzalez-Suzuki fights for Ring magazine. Joe stated that in that first fight he too had Gonzalez slightly ahead after 7. Of course, it was only going to end one way. The round I gave Suzuki was the 7th, which would indicate that Rodolfo was getting weak as a puppy at this point. To this day I shake my head on why McCoy allowed this fight to happen with Rodolfo's weakened condition but after 2 postponements I guess it simply wasn't done in those days.

Dan

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Suzuki Score

Dan---

Thanks for all that information about the first Suzuki fight. I only remember one postponement and that was due to my black widow spider bite. My right leg got so swollen like a balloon. I saw a doctor about one hour after I was bitten. The doctor told me that I needed to forget about the fight and that I was lucky to be alive. He gave me a penicillin shot and sent me home to lay down and keep off my leg. I was so sick for the next seven days. The promoter from Japan did not believe Jacky when he cancelled the fight. He thought I was making an excuse so he flew all the way to California from Japan and visited me at my house to see for himself if I was sick. After the promoter visited me the fight was re-scheduled for April 11, 1974 which was on Good
    Friday of Holy week. That was the day our Lord died
    and that was the day I lost my Championship title. The next remarkable date was November 28 in Osaka, Japan.
    That was the date I lost my second Suzuki fight and was the last fight of my boxing career. It also was Thanksgiving Day in the United States, the day we give thanks to God for all our blessings. What outstanding dates for me. I gave thanks to God for allowing me to
    finish my boxing career without serious injuries.

El Gato

Dan Hanley

Interesting facts

Rodolfo, you are quite right, it was only one postponement. You have a tremendous memory for the details surrounding your fights. And you'd think I would learn not to doubt you, but still I did not too long ago when, in the old late, lamented thread, you had mentioned-when we were talking about if you would go down to Panama to fight Duran-that Jackie went down to Panama to fight Laguna and the 'fans' kept them awake all night by throwing rocks at their windows and such. I remember when you wrote this I was shaking my head saying, "Mando never fought Laguna in Panama, as a matter of fact he never fought in Panama!" Well, lo and behold I recently came across an old Ring magazine that had an article on how some of the titles were divided and they mentioned how Mando and Jackie went to defend the title in Panama as part of a huge Independence day extravaganza against Laguna, but Mando was cut in sparring when he was down there. With the passing of the event, the Panamanian monies were withdrawn and Aileen Eaton picked up the option where she had Mando defend against Laguna in L.A. So next time I'm not going to doubt your memory, mi amigo. Incidentally, in this same article they took New York State Athletic Commissioner Edwin Dooley to task for a stunt he tried to pull. When Duran reneged on his contract to grant Ken Buchanan a rematch in Madison Square Garden, Dooley was raging mad and threatened to strip Duran of N.Y. recognition and to stage a match between the "top two contenders" Esteban DeJesus and Ken Buchanan for the N.Y. version of the world title. The thing is, according to Ring magazine, is that Edwin Dooley stated unequivocably that he only recognises the ratings of Ring magazine. And according to the writer, "If this is so then why is Mr. Dooley talking about a fight between DeJesus and Buchanan for the vacant title when the Ring recognises DeJesus as the #1 contender and Rodolfo Gonzalez as #2" An interesting chain of events that might have happened, don't you think? If Dooley pressed this issue you well could have been in the mix to meet Esteban DeJesus in Madison Square Garden for the New York version of the title. Of course your WBC title would probaly also been on the line, which would have made that one helluva matchup. Man, wouldn't that have been something?

Dan

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Esteban de Jesus fight

Dan---

Yes, a fight against Esteban de Jesus would have been something. I remember Jacky asking me once that if they would offer me a fight against Esteban de Jesus at the Madison Square Garden, would I take it? I reminded Jacky that when I signed with him I gave him my word that I would fight anybody anywhere for the right kind of money so you just line them up. However, Jacky was committed to Eileen Eaton so it would have been a big gamble for me to fight anybody out of Eileen Eaton promotions. She once told Jacky that if any of his fighters would lose a fight somewhere else she would never use them again.

El Gato

Dan Hanley

Aileen Eaton

I heard the same thing. Armando Muniz told me that he was barred from the Olympic for two years because his manager mouthed off to Aileen Eaton. Eventually he made his way back but then got her fur up again when he accepted a bout in Puerto Rico. Man, she had to have been a rough one to do business with. It's a shame Madison Square Garden promotions and the Olympic couldn't come to an understanding where a fight of that magnitude could take place with an option for first defense to take place back in L.A. and vice versa. We as the fan and you as the fighter lost out on a great action fight a great opportunity and a great payday.

Dan

wildhawke11

Hi Gentlemen

My Friends
    Only got back on line a few days ago.
    I had a graphic card go wrong on my 2500 computer a couple of months ago ( it was still under warranty )
    So i took it back to the shop where i had got it from for repair. After 3 weeks of not being able to contact them by phone i went down to the shop only to find they had gone into liquidation ( bankrupt ) nothing i can do about it My Loss.

Anyway had to buy this new one sad to say, but that's life i guess. So to anyone who has tried to mail me Sorry if i did not get it.

kikibalt

Re: Aileen Eaton

You know, someone once said that if you could put your hands inside her pants don't be surprise to fine a set of balls
    some people used to call her the Dragon Lady , one tough broad , but in a way she was a good person

Frank B.

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Aileen Eaton

Danny---

We are so glad you got a new computer and are back on the thread with us. However, I'm soory to hear all the problems you had over your broken computer. I did e-mail to see if you were ok. and am glad to know that you are.

Dan and Frank B.--

Another couple of things regarding Aileen Eaton---
    I remember Jacky McCoy telling me that Mickey Davis who was her matchmaker got out from dealing with her because he couldn't handle the stress and developed an ulcer. Also when Don Chargin took over as matchmaker he ended up in the hospital with a heart attack.
    She had to be tough to deal with the people in the boxing world to protect herself. In those days she and George Parnasus were ranked as the two highest boxing promoters in the state of Californa and possibly in the whole United States.

El Gato

kikibalt

Re: Aileen Eaton

Rodolfo
    I believe that Aileen Eaton was a hard women to
    deal with but no more so then Don King or Bob Arum
    i think she was easier then King , an like you say
    she had to protect herself an i respected her for that

Frank B.

wildhawke11

Champ

Rodolfo
    I cant recall how long i was without a computer, maybe 7 weeks. I believe AOL only holds unread new mail for about 30 days, so i must have missed it. When i put my AOL again on this new computer i had nothing of any importance in my mail box.

Looks like sad to say, all of your old threads have been lost. Such a shame. Anyway when you again contact Ric and Mando dont forget tell them Danny *Wildhawke* sends then both his best regards. Tell Rick i aint forgot him :-) and wish him well.

Also please tell Mando i hope he is not in to much pain with his back.
    Cheers Champ

gregbeyer

Re: Champ

gato,
    would you do me a favor? next time you speak to rick ask him to give me a call. rudy and i do not have a way to reach him and i have not heard from him for awhile. someone is trying to reach him about a story he wrote. my home # is 1-360-650-1412...cell is 1-360-319-6640. thanx,
    greg

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Rick and Mando

Danny---

I will call Mando and tell him you are wishing him well. The last I talked to him he had been in the hospital again for a third back surgery. As for Rick I tried calling him today but the phone is temporarily out of service. I talked to him about two weeks ago and he was just starting to work on another movie. I will keep trying to reach him.

Also today since Greg had posted his phone numbers on my thread, I called him today and spoke to him for the first time. We had a really nice converstion and alot of laughs about the good old days. I didn't know that he lived in Los Angeles at one time and saw me fight at the Olympic many times.

El Gato

wildhawke11

Re

Rodolfo.
    Rick used to tell me quite a lot about Mando all nice things i hasten to add, and of course he used to tell me all about the pain that Mando was in. I just hope that the operations that he is having to go through now are at the very least helping to give the former Champion some relief.

I am glad you and Greg finally chatted and got to know each other a little better. Hell Champ even i knew that Greg has seen you in action a few times. I suppose you must have been a little to busy knocking the hell out of some fighter in that ring to notice poor little Greg sitting there

Well, if you ever manage to get in touch with our Rick dont forget to mention he is not forgotten by us and in my case and i am sure many others here, we do miss his story's and the knowledge and insight he brought to this great boxing site.
    Cheers Champ

mikeydepaula

Re: My Thread

speaking of the hall of fame how would i go about getting my father frank depaula into the hall?

gregbeyer

Re: My Thread

yes danny. i was there in the crowd that gathered around rodolfo in his best days. it was a great pleasure to finaly speak to the champ.

after chango carmona diced up party goer mando ramos L.A. was in need of a top lightweight. ruben navarro and jimmy robertson had split a pair in an attempt to fill that spot. then came el gato and just like his name, he swatted then away.

chango carmona was in top form then also. part of his build up in L.A. was to fight robertson in an eliminator. he got by the game robertson via a cut eye stoppage and then prepared dilligently for his shot at wbc title holder mando ramos...who did not train so dilligently. carmona looked like a world beater against the then hapless yet immensely popular ramos.

then came gonalez-carmona. they had both gone through L.A.'s list of playboy fighters. both these guys were ready.

jackie mccoy, rodolfo's manager, knew carmona was not as great as mando ramos made him appear. mando let chango come at him. rodolfo went in and bulled him back. fighting backing up was not something carmona was good at. as the rounds went by it was clear that rodolfo was going to make a mockery out of the 3-1 odds posted against him at fight time. the headline in the herald examiner the next day read.."GONZALEZ, A THREE TO ONE VIRTUOSO" ....and that is exactly what it was, a virtuoso performance...hall of fame stuff.

to have been there and then some 30 yrs. later as a small part of the posters here at the zone be instrumental in seeing el gato inducted into the hall of fame and then to speak to him personaly makes me wonder at how small a world it is. to share memories like that a great pleasure.
    greg

kikibalt

workouts

greg
    i was there for the Gonzalez v Carmona
    fight i was there with my wife and four
    sons and my one daughter, i used to get
    free tickets from Don Chargin, that why i was
    able to take eveybody to the fights.
    greg do you remember back in the early
    70's how they used to have the free public
    workouts at the Olympic Aud. the Sunday
    before the big fights? an if so did you go
    to see the workout? if you did you might
    remember the small kids that used to start
    off the workouts, well some of those kids
    were my sons Frankie,Tony and Bobby

Frank B.

gregbeyer

Re: workouts

frank,
    yes i do remember those workouts. and yes i remember your sons very well.

those workouts were always fun to attend. i got a kick out of harry kabakoff saying that when ruben navarro was done with gato they were going to need a singer sewing machine to sew him up. of course it was navarro who got all cut up.

do you remember seeing duran train there to fight javier ayala? after gato took ruben apart the duran camp did not seem as interested to face gato.
    greg

kikibalt

greg
    I don't remember Duran working out there
    i think i remember him fighting Ayala
    but hell i'm 70 years old an i don't remember lots
    thing anymore.
    As for Harry Kabakoff he was something else
    were you there the night some guy was trying to beat the shit out
    off him,he was try to hide under the seats
    it was sad, but it funny at the same time

Frank B.

gregbeyer

i don't remember that frank...but i am sure harry deserved it. i saw him interviewed with frankie crawford once when harry was trying to make a fight with frankie and tury pineda. frankie was getting upset with kabakoffs antics and said...after i knockout your fighter your next!
    greg

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Fight nights

Mickey---

Thank you for writing on my thread. I spoke with some of the CBZ writers about getting your father into the Hall of Fame. A suggestion was that you contact this website: www.wbhf.org
    Let me know if you can make contact with somebody that way.

Danny---

I spoke with Rick on the phone yesterday. His phone was temporarily out of order for a while. I gave him your message. He says he may be coming to the UK soon and if he does he is going to look for you. He says hello to you and to all the writers on the CBZ as well.

Greg---

I liked reading what you wrote on my thread. Those were my best years.

I have something to add that happened the night of the Carmona fight. Immediately after I got down from the ring and as I was walking down the aisle surrounded by police guards and Jacky McCoy plus Jess Reid and "Cannonball" Green following, I was attacked by an angry spectator who broke through the guards and hit me so hard in the stomach that I doubled up in pain. The police grabbed him and dragged him out to arrest him.
    Then when I got to my room, it was filled with reporters, family and friends. Among them was Columbo (Peter Falk). He was crawling between a reporters legs to get to me. He stood next to me and the reporters took pictures of us. A reporter asked him what he thought of the fight and he told them he had never seen any fighter fight like this guy. That was a great compliment coming from him.

Frank---

I remember you attending many of my fights. I also remember being a referee at one of your young son's fights. Which son was that? I think he was about seven years old at the time. When he got hit,he would fight with tears in his eyes and would get more determined to swing harder at his opponent. He wanted to win the fight so bad and he did. It was a great day for him.

By the way, my heavyweight, Eric Alvarez and my middleweight, Effrain Bucio are fighting this Saturday- 9/24, in Riverside at the Villegas Community Center, 7240 Marguerita Ave, 92504. The fight starts at 1:00 pm.
    If any of you reading this are nearby, come on over.

El Gato

gregbeyer

fan

gato,
    realy.. a fan doubled you over in pain? how come he didn't get a title shot? those fans could be crazy at times...once , at the olympic, i had a cherry bomb go off right next to my head. another time i was showered in beer. thats how i learned that if the upper deck was open for fight nite it was best not to buy a ticket for the lower deck.

i have a tape of mando and sugar ramos. there were a lot of sugar ramos fans in the upper deck that nite. right after the fight the showers start. nobody can be seen sitting ringside and mando and sugar have to get out of the ring quick because the violence has realy started now. i get a bigger kick out of remembering what the olympic was like than i do watching the old fights.

there were always a lot of celebrities at those fights in L.A.
    i remember seeing joey bishop in the beer line, slappy white and redd foxx cracking jokes and ryan o'neal walking with a very young tatum at his side.

i can't imagine attending church in what was originally the greatest fight venue i ever attended...i would find myself listening for the roar of the crowd, the ref counting at knockdowns, the clock that read RI-95171 over it and watching to dodge the next beer or firecracker coming at me.

then again, i doubt anyone will slug the preacher as he leaves the pulpit.
    greg

kikibalt

Re: fan

greg
    that was't beer you got shower with
    i think you know what it was

Frank B.

gregbeyer

Re: fan

thanx frank...end of story

+ Reply to Thread