Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: GATO GONZALEZ' DISCUSSION THREAD

Dan Hanley

Happy Birthday

Rodolfo, it seems like yesterday you were leaving fellow leather-slingers in a horizontal position. Happy 60th, mi amigo.

Dan

kikibalt

Re: Happy Birthday OLD BOY :-)

Danny & Greg

Thank you for wishing me a happy B-Day

Danny , late b/c you did't know

Frank B.

BDeskins

Frank,
    Happy late birthday...your presence has made this board even better and it's those like you that make this the absolute best forum on the net.

Sincerely,
    Barry Deskins

kikibalt

Thank you Barry ,you are very kind

Frank B.

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Birthday Celebration

Thanks to all of you who wished me a Happy Birthday. By the grace of God I still feel like I want to get up in the ring and give some of todays fighters a few boxing lessons.

It was a great 60th celebration. Besides hearing from all of you, I had telephone calls from all of my four children---from Maine, New Mexico, and Las Vegas. Also Barbara's family called to sing Happy Birthday to me. Barbara surprised me by taking me to dinner at a very nice restaurant at the Oceanside Harbor, then to another restaurant nearby for an after dinner drink and an evening of music and dancing. It was so beautiful to
    see all the boats in the harbor decorated with Christmas lights.
    Since Barbara is my big promoter, soon the owner of the place found out it was my birthday and sent us over a drink on the house.

I want to wish my friend,Frank Baltazar a Happy Birthday also. Even though I am a little late in my wish for you, Frank, I hope you had a nice birthday and wish you many more birthdays to come.

El Gato

gregbeyer

Re: Birthday Celebration

gato,
    glad you had a nice time on your b-day. barbara sounds like a wonderful lady and it must have been great to hear from the family.

maybe a little late for a comeback, amigo, but todays fighters could use some of what you could show them for sure. on that subject. some one posted the other day that yours was the era of the last of the great boxing trainers. what do you have to say about the men that taught you the finer points of the game?
    greg

kikibalt

Thank you Rodolfo
    Yes i had a nice B-Day, it was also my 51th anniversary as my wife Connie and i got married on my B-Day in 1954.
    We just had a quiet dinner with our family that are living here in Southern California, an o/c we heard from our other kids living in AZ.

Frank B.

gregbeyer

hey frank,
    you and my old man have something in common.
    he married my mom on his 27th b-day. march 11 , 1944. he was building battle ships at todds shipyard and the docs told him he was sterile from the chemicals in the yard....8 years later the condition cleared and i was born.
    greg

kikibalt

Greg
    Lucky for you, your dad's condition cleared up, or other wise you would't be here.
    Btw is your mom & dad still alive?

Frank B.

gregbeyer

frank.
    thats one way of looking at it. the other is i could be 8 yrs. older right now!

mom is still living in san pedro. i lost my dad to cancer 9 years ago. he was an honest hard working guy and i see his face everytime i shave. he was someone that came to my rescue many many times and the first day i spent on this earth knowing he was gone was my toughest ever. i recieve critism sometimes for spoiling my kids but all i am really doing is trying to pay back my oldman for being there. know what i mean?
    greg

kikibalt

Greg---- Well i don't think you want to be 8 years older.
    My one an only brother is about your age , he was born in 1950, he will be retireing from the L.A. county sheriff department in 2006.
    I lost my dad in May 2000 an my mom in Feb.5 2001 which is my son Tony B-Day,so i know where you are coming from when you speak about your dad

Frank B.

P.S

Hey Greg
    My wife and i spoil our kids too ,if we don't who the hell will

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Finer points

Greg---

To answer your question about who taught me the finer points of boxing, the trainer who taught me almost everything I know was my very first trainer, my cousin, the legendary Jose Becerra. This was when I was only 14 years of age. He taught me all the fundamentals of the real classic style of boxing including the tricks of the trade. To me he was the best. I had a number of other trainers throughout my boxing career, but they just helped to polish my style for each individual fight. As you know my signature punch was the left hook to the liver, and that I learned from Jose Becerra. I mastered it so well that I could hit my opponent without missing if I wanted to. I can't really say that I learned any finer points from anybody else. As for Jacky McCoy, he was very intelligent and he knew different fighters and their styles. He coached me on how to handle everyone I faced in the ring. For example, one week before my fight against Chango Carmona we watched Carmona at a public work out at the Olympic Auditorium. Within a short time of watching him we both noiticed a weakness and he said to me that's what we will work on. That's the reason I was pushing Carmona backwards all night because if you let him come to you he will destroy you.
    I was having fun fighting him in the ring that night.

Frank and Greg---

I really like reading your posts on my thread. I'm learning more about both of you and your families. I'm sure others reading this thread also enjoy it.

El Gato

gregbeyer

Re: Finer points

gato,
    i remember those workouts at the olympic. the one and only time i spoke to you face to face was when you had that work out at the olympic before your second fight with ruben navarro. you were sitting up near the beer concession with some friends and harry kabakoff was in the ring telling the fans that they were going to need a singer sewing machine to put you back together after the fight. i was a few seats away from you and asked if you were getting scared. you just should your head confidentlty... and said"no!"

couple days later it was ruben needed the sewing machine.
    greg

gregbeyer

Re: Finer points

frank,
    i figured you would get it after hearing you tell stories about you and your sons.

an old saying goes..." a mans father is always his master" just trying to live up to my dad has made me....well...better than i would have been without him.
    greg

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Olympic workouts, etc.

Greg---

I remember being at the Olympic before that particular fight and I remember sitting near the concession stand talking to friends and fans. I wish you had introduced yourself to me. I don't remember too much more, although I remember the remarks of Navarro's manager, that they were going to have to sew me up with a sewing machine. Both of them were talking big.

I remember Rick Farris posting on my old thread that he and several of the fighters and fight managers used to hang out at a bar on Main St. after the boxing shows were over. I never went there myself but I was wondering if you ever hung out there with those guys?

El Gato

wildhawke11

Re: Merry Christmas Gentlemen

Merry Christmas Guys to each and everyone of you. Lets hope that the New Year will be one of best ever for all of us.
    Danny

gregbeyer

Re: Merry Christmas Gentlemen

gato,
    first off merry christmas to you and babara.

no. i never went to that bar either. my friends and i had a little different routine. after going to the workouts at the olympic or the elks building we always went to a burger stand called petes grandburgers. pete made the biggest burgers i have ever seen and we were young and able to eat like billy goats and would gorge ourselves on those burgers and then get back to the harbor area to do our drinking.

to everyone else. have a safe and wonderful holliday.
    greg

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Merry Christmas to everyone

Danny and Greg----

Thank you for the holiday greeting. I would like to add my good wishes to everyone for a Merry Christmas and a new year filled with God's blessings.

Greg---

I never visited Pete's Grandburgers but I did go to some other local hamburger places starting with McDonald's where I was introduced to the fish burger back in the early 60's. As for drinking, I never had an interest in drinking or smoking so I stayed away from those hangouts. Actually, my hangout was The Pike. It was only three blocks west of the Seaside Gym where I lived. And it was so beautiful to see the ocean. I used to like to watch the people having fun. However, I was always on the lookout so that I wouldn't get caught by immigration. I didn't want to be sent back to Mexico, then have to come back into the US in the trunk of a car ever again.

For the next couple of days Barbara and I will be visiting my family members in Baja for Christmas eve, where my brother, Tony, will be assisting the priest at the local mass. Then back to California to be with Barbara's family on Christmas day.

To Everyone---

Have a wonderful Christmas and make it a great 2006!!!

El Gato

gregbeyer

Re: Merry Christmas to everyone

gato,
    the pike was a great place when i was a kid. they also had a huge indoor swimming pool near there we called the plunge. it was going to the pike that lead me to the seaside gym. i was attracted to the old pictures they had on the walls there as well as the fighters doing their workouts. did you ever go on the roller coaster they had there? that thing was pretty scary.
    happy hollidays.
    greg

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

The Pike

Greg---

No, I never went on the roller coaster. It was too scary for me, but I did go on a date once and took this girl on the Rotor (I think that is what you call it.) It's the ride that's like a big barrel and you stand against the wall. When it starts turning so fast the floor goes down 10 feet or so and you are pressed against the side. I was showing off to this girl and was wearing a suit that I bought at the Salvation Army store for $1.25 and a tie that I bought for 25 cents. I had it tied in a knot around my neck because I didn't know how to tie it properly. When the ride started going around so fast the clothes stuck to the wall and I was choking to death. If I would have known who had invented that ride I would have given him a super special liver shot.

Regarding the indoor pool, I never went there. However, I sometimes went to the Lido Ballroom to the dances on the week-ends. That was in the late 60's. Did you ever go there?

I hope everyone reading this post had a wonderful Christmas. My Christmas was marked with some sadness as my oldest brother's wife, who was only 57 years old s died suddenly of a heart attack on Christmas Day. I've been in Long Beach giving support to my brother. Barbara and I will be going to the services on Thursday.

Wishing all of you a Happy New Year!

El Gato

kikibalt

Re: The Pike

Rodolfo
    Sorry to hear about your brother's wife , may God be with her

Frank B.

gregbeyer

Re: The Pike

thats very sad news rodolfo. give your brother all the support you can.
    greg

Dan Hanley

Photo

Rodolfo, I was just dropping a line to let everyone know at the Fantasy Fights section of the message board I posted the photo of you dropping Antonio Cervantes. However, I am saddened by the loss of your sister-in-law. Sometimes the holidays can be rough.

Dan

wildhawke11

Re: Photo

Rodolfo.
    So very sorry to hear the sad news about your brothers wife.
    Your Friend Danny

GorDoom

Re: Speaking of the Pike

Gato:

My deepest condolences to your brother. I can't imagine losing my wife. I don't know what I'd do without her. Your brother & his wife are in my thoughts.

respectfully,

GorDoom

theironbar

From Your Admirers in Canada

Dear Gato -- I read your thread compulsively and thoroughly enjoy hearing your thoughts and experiences... but I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of your sister-in-law... My family's condolences to you and your family...

-Peter

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Happy New Year

First of all, to all of you who wrote to offer your condolences to me for the loss of my sister-in-law----
    Thank you all so very much. It meant alot to me to hear from all of you. The services in Long Beach were so beautiful. Over 100 people attended. It was a wonderful tribute to her and I know she is with our Lord who took her home.

As I am writing this post, it is only a few hours until the New Years count down here on the west coast. I wish you all who are reading this post a very HAPPY NEW YEAR filled with God's blessings.

El Gato

Dan Hanley

Gonzalez-Cervantes photo

Guys, I mentioned that the photo of El Gato dropping Antonio Cervantes was on the Fantasy Fights section, but it has been moved here to the Old-Timers section. Check it out for a rare treat.

Dan

Juan C Ayllon

Gancho Punch Appears in Joel Julio Interview

Hey Champ,

I thought you might enjoy the little discourse over the definition of "Gancho" punch near the beginning of my interview with rising welterweight prospect Joel Julio. See the link below:

Joel Julio Interview

Let me know what you think.

Happy New Year,

Juan C. Ayllon

StingerKarl

Rodolfo

Rodolfo:
    I can't call you "Gato" cuz you were always Rodolfo to me that I read in the boxing magazines as a kid.
    I didn't even know that was your ring name as I was raised in the sticks of Texas.
    You were COOL, man.
    You looked good in there, bro.
    My heartfelt condolences, Champ.
    Tu Amigo;
    Karl

+ Reply to Thread