Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: GATO GONZALEZ' DISCUSSION THREAD

GorDoom

Good News, Champ!

Gato:

One of our guys, Diggity, found an internet archive that has all the old CBZ board up to March 2005. We're only missing the last two months. That means we will be able to restore about 85-90% of your old thread!

theironbar

Re: Mando Ramos

Hi Gato!

Can you keep us posted regarding Mando's condition? Can we send him anything? I know people like their privacy so I understand if we can't, but let me know...

Warm regards,

-Peter

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Old Thread

Gordoom---

I had to read your post a few times to make sure I understood what I was reading. Wow! I'm so happy to hear the great news that my old thread has been found. This time when you are able to get it on the CBZ site, I will be sure to copy it. To me it was such a memorable part of my life to have such great boxing writers post so many facts and stories of the past and the present. Plus all the help so many of you gave to me to get me inducted into the WBHOF in 2003. We had a lot of fun with it too. It is an answer to prayer that this material has been recovered.

Peter---

As soon as I hear more information on Mando Ramos' condition I will post it here so you and other readers will know how he is doing.

Danny,

I heard you had a birthday recently. I hope you had a great day. Here's wishing you a belated Happy Birthday and may you have many, many more. I spoke to Rick Farris today on the phone and he told me to wish you a happy birthday from him also.

El Gato

wildhawke11

Re

Thanks Champ
    Tell Rick i thank him and have never forgotten the good advise he gave me in our private mails to each other. I have the greatest respect for Rick but i am sure he knows that.

Unlike the guys with connections i know hardy any one of any prominence within the fight game. So just like before Rodolfo i can only do what i did before when the time is right and that is to write a letter to the power's to be in the INBHOF and send them a letter which comes direct from my heart. I was i must admit a little surprised last time when i got a beautiful reply from the top man himself in the WBHOF.
    Cheers Champ
    Your Friend Danny

gregbeyer

gato,

i knew that would be great news to you. i remember the first page of your thread very well. it began ..."here is the record of a sadly forgotten great ex-lightweight champion".... that was the day gordoom printed your record and got my memory aroused...how could this be forgotten? as i read down your record i was able to think back to those fights of yours that i attended or saw on television in L.A. i was amused to remember the circumstances surrounding those days going to the fights in those boxing rich times in L.A.

you weren't forgotten anymore.

i was amazed when i learned you were not already in the hall of fames years before.

please tell mando hello for me. when i close my eyes i can see mando crossing the ring in two steps and finishing beau jaynes with a lefthook. to think of a young mando with that beautiful footwork having trouble walking is very sad. give him my best.
    greg

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Good News regarding Mando

Greg, and all the friends and fans of Mando Ramos---

I just got off the phone with Mando who is still in the hospital. He is now walking with a walker and going through physical therapy everyday. He was happy to hear from me and was in good spirits. But he still has to stay in the hospital a couple more weeks. I told him about all of you who were writing in and concerned about his health. He was happy to hear that and said thanks to all of you. We were laughing about the good old days when he was the cook and I was the dishwasher in his mother's restaurant. He said the food was alot better then than it is in the hospital. I 'm sure of that because Mando was a really good cook. He made delicious enchiladas and chili rellenos.

El Gato

gregbeyer

Re: Re

hey gato...that must be the only two champion kitchen in boxing history. hard to find a hospital that serves good enchiladas though.

just spoke to mando in the hospital and he seemed in good spirits although i am sure they have him on plenty of pain medication. i told him to rest and i would call him again tomorrow.

you know back in 1973 mando actually spent the nite at my apartment in san pedro. i ran into him in a bar and we ended up driving to a few others before it got so foggy that i told him we should just go to my pad because we were close by and wait out the fog. it was fun being with him. he was so handsome and popular that everywhere we went people had to come up and say hello. after that we stayed up until early in the morning talking about all of his fights.

thank you for calling me. how often does a guy get to speak to two world champions in one nite?
    greg

theironbar

That is good news indeed! I know any hospital stay is a concern, and a back injury is nothing to sneeze at, but with what happened to Kirby Puckett I was worried Mando had suffered a stroke. In any event, I am very happy to read he's up and about and here's to a speedy recovery!

Greg -- I hate to sound like a mook but I am green with envy you got to talk to two of my favourite fighters in one night! I know you'd rather it be under different circumstances but... I gotta say... how cool is that!!!

gregbeyer

Re: Good News regarding Mando

peter,

somehow when i was a young guy back at the olympic i never imagined that 35 yrs, later i would be speaking to 2 of the stars there on the same nite....it is cool.
    greg

Dan Hanley

Olympic purses

Rodolfo, got a question for you. Armando Muniz once told me that when he fought at the Olympic he always fought for a piece of the gate, never a set fee. When you fought there, such as when you were champ and fought the non-title against Donnie Sennett, were you fighting for a set purse or again the piece of the gate? Is this something Jackie McCoy would have to go toe to toe with Aileen Eaton on? I figured as a reigning champ you could afford to negotiate.

Dan

kikibalt

Re: Olympic purses

Dan
    If you don't mind i would like to put my two cents worth on fighting for a piece of the gate, fighting for a piece of the gate makes it easy for the promoter to rip the fighters off, let say that you have 8,000 paying fans, the promoter will tell you that they had 6,000 or so , an if you question them they will not use your fighters again, that what happened to Mando Muniz's one time manager Jake Horn.
    It happened to us one time , so after that we just fought for a set fee

Frank B.

Dan Hanley

Re: Olympic purses

Frank, your input is always welcome, afterall, you lived and breathed that era at the Olympic. That's the story Muniz told me too. They questioned their purse after the Oscar Albarado fight and were sent packing for a couple of years. Must've been one rough woman to deal with.

Dan

Rodolfo Gato Gonzalez

Gate or Flat Fee???

Dan---

When I fought Don Sennett it was a non-title fight and I fought him for a flat fee of $10,000. Jacky McCoy never did like to deal on a percentage basis especially with Aileen Eaton. He knew how tough she was but they got along really well. She trusted him and he always wanted to keep in good with her. However, in 1966 when I fought Bobby Valdez for the third time in San Bernadino, I was under a different manager, Bill Fields. He told me I was to get 25% of the gate. The arena was packed, maybe about 4,000 people. I only got $65 for that fight. He came up with a whole list of deductions that he said I owed him including my $5.00 per week allowance for food plus a pair of tennis shoes he had bought for me at the Salvation Army for $1.50. That is the only time I ever fought for a percentage of the gate. But obviously it was not even close to a percentage of the gate.

Frank is correct. You can't fight for a percentage of the gate. The promoters always cut you short. Mc Coy always said it was better to be secure even though it was a smaller amount than to gamble for a bigger amount and not get it.

El Gato

vCash

Hawaii

Rodolfo, drop us all a line when you get back from Hawaii and let us know what kind of a time you had, will ya? Hope you don't run into Ernie Villaflor. I'll bet he's still smarting from that left hook to the liver you laid on him back in '71.

Dan

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Re: GATO GONZALEZ' DISCUSSION THREAD

Mi Campeon:

Gato, as I wrote a few weeks ago we have found, archived on the internet, a major part of your old thread as well as a large part of the old CBZ Board. Because of the changes we've been going through - as in moving the board from the old EZ hackable board - things are taking a little while to get back in place.

Dig, the man that is making this all happen - because I, myself, barely am competent on a computer, I've gots lot's of ideas - but I rely on good men like Dig to implement & make them happen ...

He - & I have absolutely no reason not to believe him - told me we will have it back - almost like it was - in about a month.

Considering that we all thought it was lost forever, that sounds pretty d*** good to me.

respectfully.

GorDoom

vCash

Dan---

We returned from Hawaii a little wet. Our first four days were on Maui and we had beautiful sunny days while the rest of the islands experienced rain and flooding in some areas. We toured the island and visited some great beaches.

In Honolulu we had wind and rain but visited with family and friends, all indoor activities--brunch at the Waikiki Yacht Club, lunch at the Country Club and dinner at a quaint Italian restaurant. When we were at the yacht club Barbara' son-in law introduced me to a young woman who was a boxing fan and she couldn't believe it was really me that she was talking to. It is amazing that that at my age I am still admired by young ladies. LOL. It was fun.

I didn't meet up with Ernie Villaflor but one day we went to the main library and found the newspapers from April 1971 when I fought him. There were three different articles--two were before the fight and one was the result of the fight which has a photo of Villaflor on the canvas and I am looking down at him. This was in the second round when I knocked him down with my liver punch and he stayed down for the count of ten. It again brought back memories.

Gordoom---

It is great news to hear that you will be able to recover all of the old thread. I am looking forward to seeing it again. You can be sure that I will immediately print out the whole thread. There is so much valuable information there and to be able to read all of the wonderful material that so many great people posted is priceless. It just can not be replaced ever again. It was such a meaningful part of my life. I'm sure there are others who will want to print it out too.

El Gato

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

I'll post some more later

Frank

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

carmona's nose looks a lot flatter in that action shot than it did at the weigh in. i love watching that fight.
    greg

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

Frank...

Thank you so much for posting all of those photos that were taken during my boxing career. Good job!

I wish all of the CBZ readers and their families a Happy and Blessed Easter.

El Gato

vCash

+ Reply to Thread