The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Frankie & Tony Baltazar

vCash

Re: Frankie & Tony Baltazar

Good luck with Tony's site Frank,

Tony Baltazar's new web site http://tonybaltazar.com/
    these sites are great for posterity and of course collectors and historians as well, to say nothing of the effect it can have on a more localized level for kids who idolize the boys as hero's!

That car is a beauty!

P.S. you'll have to put up the plague and link again Frank, the page has jumped over.
    Last edited by jim glen; 10-25-2009 at 05:28 PM.

vCash

Here it is, Jim,

Thanks for the kind words on Tony's web site.

vCash

World Boxing Hall of Fame...2009

My wife Connie and I

vCash

This is the Fransisco Villegas that Frankie fought and beat in only his 9th pro fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Czt8Ooxu0E

vCash

Sierra, this morning after the big game last nite

Sierra Baltazar

vCash

Hello Kikibalt,

This is an excellent thread! I always look forward to opening it when I see a new post!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by robg
    Hello Kikibalt,

This is an excellent thread! I always look forward to opening it when I see a new post!
    Thanks, Rob, I try to keep it alive, but its hard, only have some much stuff to post...

vCash

Gathering For Golden State Boxers

December 18, 2009 by Michele Chong

Annual holiday luncheon for boxing group

It was time to share holiday wishes at the Golden State Boxer’s Association’s (GSBA) annual Christmas party held this week at Steven’s Steakhouse in Commerce. This boxing organization, based in Southern California, honors the state’s former and current professional fighters, amateur boxers, ring officials, promoters, publicists and others who have dedicated themselves to the sport.

President Larry Montalvo and Vice President Bill Dempsey Young invited special guests to a steak and chicken luncheon while their “better halves” Elsa Montalvo and Linda Young held a prize raffle with boxing gloves, vintage photos, and fight memorabilia for the attendees.

Among those at the gathering were former fighters Ruben Castillo, Bobby Chacon, Danny Valdez, and Allen Syers, promoter Don Fraser, trainer Jack Mosley, the WBC’s Dr. Joe Noriega, Trudie Latka (wife of “The Professor” George Latka) and California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) veteran Joey Olmos.

Joey is also a well-regarded former judge and referee who tells us great stories about Joe Louis. He shows us some treasures of the past, one is a coin with a profile of the heavyweight champ on one side, and the inscription “Good Luck Forever” signed by Joe Louis on the back. As the former Chief Inspector for the State of California greets another partygoer, Frank Baltazar Sr., I ask the two gentlemen how long they’ve known each other. “Fifty years!” Olmos replies instantly. “I licensed his two sons when they were fighting.” Baltazar’s boys, the talented Frankie and Tony, were popular draws in the L.A. area and another son, Bobby, fought in Nevada.

Another proud father in the room was former featherweight Ruben Castillo, who fought four times for the world title. Castillo brought his son, Ruben Jr., to the festivities and introduced him to our table. “Little Ru” is 21 and a fighter himself. And since it was “Big Ru’s” birthday this Saturday, it was an early celebration for the slugger. Castillo is one of the most entertaining boxers you’ll ever meet, he really could be a paid comedian with all his wise-cracking. Talk about lightning-fast hands, he’s got lightning-fast lips!

Also representing some championship genes was Sugar Shane Mosley’s parents, Jack and Clemmie. The talk at our table, of course, was of Shane’s upcoming January 30 bout against Andre Berto, surely to be a good brawl. Mama Mosley tells me as a boy, Shane was always active and always energetic. Now at 38, Sugar shows no signs of slowing down now.

As Montalvo and Young took the podium, a toast was made to kick off the holiday season. On a sadder note, a “Ten Count” was given in tribute to ring announcer Danny Valdivia, who passed away last week.

Then Bill and Linda were toasted by the crowd as their 34th Wedding Anniversary was announced. Bill is a fourth generation boxer, whose father Dick “Tiger” Young was a famed referee.

The GSBA hosts various functions throughout the year, with members meeting every Tuesday in Hollywood. In the past, they have held inaugural “Father-Son” awards banquets and a luncheon celebrating the often-forgotten wives of champions (the women behind the boxers!).

Closing out 2009, look for the group to have more events in the new year.

vCash

A few matches listed from a 1968 Junior Golden Gloves program . . .

15th Annual JUNIOR GOLDEN GLOVES TOURNAMENT

Sponsored by the Joint Council of Teamsters No. 42

Date: Friday, August 23, 1968
    Place: Alexandria Hotel - 5th & Spring St. Los Angeles

Showtime: 7:30pm
    Weigh-in: 6:30pm
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

SEMI FINALS- Open Class

35-45 pounds:

Gus Hurtado Jr. (Wilminton Gym) vs. Steven Huggins (Stanton AC)
    Donald Stanfield (Teamsters BC) vs. Bobby Rizo (Sacred Heart AC)
    Donnell Crowder (San Diego BC) vs. Frank Reyes (Eastside BC)
    Danny Barragon (Teamsters BC) vs. Tony Baltazar (Eastside BC)

Stand by- Tony Campa
    __________________________________________________ ___

56-65 pounds:

Bobby Valenzuela (Tony Valenzuela) vs. Frankie Baltazar (Eastside BC)
    Andy Barragan (Teamsters BC) vs. Danny Aguilera (Stanton AC)

66-75 pounds:

Alfonso "Pancho" Velasquez (Teamster BC) vs. Joe Salazar (Elmer Lasley BC)
    Albert Davila (Sacred Heart AC) vs. Tony Salazar (Elmer LAsley BC)

96-105 pounds:

Ronnie Reynolds (Moore/Blouin) vs. Jimmy Cruz (Stanton AC)
    Rick Farris (Johnny Flores Gym) vs. Phil Hernandez (Stanton AC)

vCash

A mini intervievw with Tony 'The Tiger" Baltazar

vCash

Frankie Baltazar

vCash

Tony "The Tiger" Baltazar

Putting away the menudo con pata yesterday morning

vCash

Bobby Baltazar (R) vs Anthony Chavez

Las Vegas, Nevada

vCash

Mr Baltazar, did you ever see Alan Rudkin vs Walter MvGowan?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GPater11093
    Mr Baltazar, did you ever see Alan Rudkin vs Walter MvGowan?
    Gp, sorry to say no, I never have see that fight.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt
    Gp, sorry to say no, I never have see that fight.
    No problem, just Mr beyer mentioned that you might have seen it. I'm a big fan of Rudkin and Olivares thats why i was asking.

vCash

Jimmy's Barber Shop..1980

James Baltazar is six years old and is getting a hair cut, about ten of us guys're watching fights on CBS TV, guys're arguing for and against each fighter, Jimmy the barber is arguing for his guy who is lookin' good at the moment, a minute or so late Jimmy's guy is in trouble and ready to go, six year old James tells Jimmy "oh,oh Jimmy you boy had it"...

vCash

Might have posted this pic already. not sure

vCash

Boyle Heights

Before Cesar Chavez Boulevard, there had been Brooklyn Avenue. Mexican kids, Russian kids, Jewish kids, ice cream parlors, movie theaters, the first "Cedars" hospital, a couple of wars and street cars to the beach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeCAdKCbMeU

vCash

"El Hoyo Soto"

El Hoyo Soto was a Mexican-American barrio, just another one of many that were in the ELA/Boyle Heights area, the streets were dirt, one way in, one way out.

Around 1951 my buddys and I met some girls on the boulevard, said they were from El Hoyo Soto, after talking for a while they invited us to a house party for that coming Saturday, we of course said yes, come Saturday six of us guys jump in my buddy Richard "Goma" Gomez '41 Ford convertible that he had just bought two week earlier, now we are at the party dancing with the girls that we had met, well the dudes from El Hoyo didn't take kindly to that, a fight broke out, there was too many of them so we jump into the '41 Ford, take off on this dirt road, the only way out, than the Ford died out, we looked back and there's guy following us in cars, on foot, the Ford won't start so we jump and ran out of there, got to the boulevard jump on the street car, we all got home okay, a few day later we go back to get the Ford, f**k, its was burn to the ground...

vCash

Dang Frank,
    It sounds like you ran with the same crowd I did. I love hearing old storys. Please keep them coming.

Randy

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Wing master
    Dang Frank,
    It sounds like you ran with the same crowd I did. I love hearing old storys. Please keep them coming.

Randy
    Those were fun days Randy...LOL!!

vCash

I wouldn't mind having a 41 Ford Rag Top now. I bet when it was 10 years old it was really a nice car.

How old were Frankie and Tony when you started teaching them to box?

Randy

vCash

I wouldn't mind having a 41 Ford Rag Top now. I bet when it was 10 years old it was really a nice car.

How old were Frankie and Tony when you started teaching them to box?

Randy
    Frankie was 6, Tony 3, when they started boxing, they had their first fight in the 1964 Jr. Golden Gloves.

Yeah, that 41 Ford was a nice car, too bad it got burn,.. in the mid-'40, after the war, my dad bought a '41 Woody that he had till around '55-'56, I used to drive that woody when I was just a young teenager, wish I had it now....

vCash

I don't think we wil ever see the quality and workmanship that went into a woody again in the auto industry. Even the wood in the top of a model A or the wood pickup beds showed the dedication of a true craftsman.

I have a grandaughter that is 19 months old. I have had her hitting the heavy bag a couple of times. I don't think it will go anywhere but we have fun. My son's wife is pregnant. I am hoping for a boy. If it is, I hope to have him trying on a pair of gloves at around 3 or 4 years old. If its a girl I will have another little princess to try to teach boy stuff to.

My twin daughters started gymnastice when they were 4 years old. They went on to be state champions in their perticular events when they were on the highschool team. I think that is because they started at a young age.
    If my grandkids are not interested, I will try to find something they do like. I don't think it is good to push them into something.
    Thanks Frank. I really enjoy your posts.

Randy

vCash

Randy...The above photo is of my dad's '41 woody circa 1955, thats my sister Annie hanging on.

The wood where the left rear door hinge was screw on was all rotten, so the screws wouldn't hold, everytime I would make a fast right hand turn, which was most of the times I would make right turns, "Fast was the word", the door would fly off, I would have to stop and pick the door up from the street and slam it back in place, my buddys used to rag on me all the time because of the door and no body wanted to sit on the left rear seat...LOL!!
    Last edited by kikibalt; 02-15-2010 at 08:16 AM.

vCash

That looks like a fun car. I really like the sliding windows. and wide white walls. Thanks for posting the picture.

That reminds me of when I was in high school. My buddy had a model A. I am really not that old. it was old then. anyway, we had picked up 2 girls and thought we were getting along pretty good. The nut that held the steering wheel on was missing and as I sat by the door he removed the steering wheel and handed it to me. I threw it out the window. If you know much about model A's you know they have linkage to the front brakes. the front brakes never stop evenly.
    Well, he hit the brakes and the car pulled right and went into the ditch then came to a stop. We got out and went back to get the steering wheel and when we got back the girls had got out of the car and wouldn't get back in.
    Needless to say that was the end of trying to date those two girls, but it is a story I will remember for the rest of my life.

aaah those were the good old days.

Randy
    Last edited by Wing master; 02-14-2010 at 10:04 PM.

vCash

That looks like a fun car. I really like the sliding windows. and wide white walls. Thanks for posting the picture.

That reminds me of when I was in high school. My buddy had a model A. I am really not that old. it was old then. anyway, we had picked up 2 girls and thought we were getting along pretty good. The nut that held the steering wheel on was missing and as I sat by the door he removed the steering wheel and handed it to me. I threw it out the window. If you know much about model A's you know they have linkage to the front brakes. the front brakes never stop evenly.
    Well, he hit the brakes and the car pulled right and went into the ditch then came to a stop. We got out and went back to get the steering wheel and when we got back the girls had got out of the car and wouldn't get back in.
    Needless to say that was the end of trying to date those two girls, but it is a story I will remember for the rest of my life.

aaah those were the good old days.

Randy
    LOL! LOL!. How crazy can we get as tennagers?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt
    LOL! LOL!. How crazy can we get as tennagers?

Sometimes I wonder how we ever made it to adulthood.

Randy

vCash

What a wonderful car, my family had the same one in the 50's and took us to the movies for 25 cents to see Roy Rogers double features on rainy days.

Also wonderful pictures of your sons, who as great warriors schooled by their beloved father, have made you proud of them and their love for you forever.

blessings,

Ron

+ Reply to Thread