The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Frankie & Tony Baltazar

vCash

Tony Baltazar & Sugar Ray Leonard

vCash

Frankie & Tony Baltazar

Last edited by kikibalt; 05-29-2007 at 04:03 PM.

vCash

Re: Frankie & Tony Baltazar

Hi Frank. I enjoyed the clipping about you and your sons. Thanks for posting it. I hope all is well with you.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by raylawpc
    Hi Frank. I enjoyed the clipping about you and your sons. Thanks for posting it. I hope all is well with you.
    Hi Tom;
    Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them, and I'm doing good, thanks again.

Frank

vCash

Frankie & Tony Baltazar

vCash

Frankie & Tony Baltazar

vCash

Frankie & Tony Baltazar

vCash

Frankie & Tony Baltazar

vCash

Frankie & Tony Baltazar

vCash

Tony "The Tiger" Baltazar

vCash

Frankie & Tony Baltazar

vCash

Frankie Baltazar @ Danny "Little Red" Lopez golf tournament

vCash

Frankie Baltazar

vCash

Tony Baltazar

vCash

I realize the vast majority of the material devoted to this is by Frank himself so I was wondering if anyone has actually seen Frank or Tony on film. Let's see some responses people!

I've seen Tony but never our own Kikkibalt.

I was fortunate to have caught the Blake - Tony B. match a while back (way back) and told my friend "I have to have it" so we made a copy of it and came out real good too. It was a valiant effort by the tiger before succumbing to the non-stop buzzsaw attack of Blake. What talent! What handspeed! And a southpaw to boot. It's a pity that Blake burnt out shortly after.

I also caught the Howard Davis match. Anyone else see this? Controversial to say the least and I truly felt Tony was not given what he deserved. Also caught Camacho-Baltazar but don't remember much.

vCash

Ultimo-

I know that some of the stuff in this thread is also from fans like myself who scanned things and sent them to Frank, who put them up. The fans of Tony and Frankie are here, believe me!

Glad you saw Blake-Baltazar- one of the best fights of the 80s for me.
    Blake had quite a run. Was chatting with Frank Sr. about Blake, Harry Arroyo, Melvin Paul, some others recently. And there's 20 more you could mention from that time- a great period for the lightweights.

Tony's fights were usually dramatic, he was the Tiger. His style was aggressive, flashy, quick and explosive. Like Duran, I couldn't take my eyes off of him no matter the opponent due to his charismatic fire. The Davis Jr. fight was tough because of the decision, and I respected Davis. "Our guys" going back East against pure boxers and losing decisions was a frustration at that time. Lot of competition for network bouts back then; I feared a loss like that in his first major TV appearance might mean I would not get to see Tony again. Glad I was wrong.

As I've said before, Tony B.-Blake had me on my feet screaming at my tv at home, a wild one. Another one you should get for dramatic effect was a tough loss to Buddy McGirt. Maybe the biggest knockdown scored by Tony in his career in a very tough match. Tony's hook just explodes on the target- BANG! - and McGirt drops like he was shot.

Frankie against Juan Escobar in a war at the Olympic underneath Tony decisioning Roque Montoya is also a must have. Escobar fought great. Frankie was soooooo tough rallying with a bad eye to win that one. Amazing will to win.

And of course a bonus in each fight- Frank Sr.! He's the one with the towel and all the class after each fight, win or lose. (Kind of the opposite of Riddick Bowe's bunch and the way they acted when he was champion. Sorry, had to throw that in.)

Tim
    Last edited by timayres; 07-11-2007 at 01:36 PM.

vCash

That's okay. Yes, I'm a big Riddick Bowe fan but his time is long over. He's probably reminiscing over his younger days when he demonstrated his almost unlimited abilities, demolishing every opponent in short order.

I have seen very little of Tony but going thru my friend's library, I looked thru two of his fights when he was coming up. The first with Davis and following, the war with Blake.

At times T. B. looked like a raging bull in the ring with Howard. I didn't like the way Howard fought him. It's one of those fights you wish the fighter had his purse withheld for not fighting. I wish he would have come in more flatfooted with Tony like the way he went flatfooted with Coverson.

The thing that impressed me was Tony's left. It looked almost like he could flatten him at will. So I was just wondering if there were similarities between the two brothers. If so, then we are missing out and thats' why I wuz wondering and hoping Kikki would fill me in with details but seems to be a man of few words.

I think Tony could have been a real draw for the sport, especially with the ladies. He had the look of a true golden boy (no offense meant)

Blake was more formidable than Howard because he was so offensive minded and to survive him you had to have move well on your feet. Blake would have been a problem for anyone but the matchup I wanted to see him with was against someone big like Camacho or Mancini. Imagine a prime time match with Ray Mancini.

I saw him pummel Ruben Munoz and I was actually rooting against Blake. I was hoping Tony would be the one to beat him (hopefully knock him out) but Blake was a little too big for him. I think he was around 5-11 to 6-1 if I'm not mistaken. Plus a southpaw which throws off most fighters.

I suspect Robin burnt out a little quick but I don't know why. He would have killed Arroyo in his prime. Anyways, I'm glad he finally lost.

On the subject of East coast v. West coast. I knew that was just bs drummed up by the media. That's what they do. But I realized it was a myth from the start and was killed off forever when our own Richie Sandoval from Pomona went to to the East Coast to take the title off of Chandler who was one of boxing's more accomplished champions.

You didn't happen to see that did you? After that east coast humiliation, writers like Farhood finally stopped talking that shit.

vCash

One my real joys since joining the CBZ message board is getting to know Frank and having the honor to count him as one of my friends.

Since joining this board, Frank has sent me several CDs of both boys in action. Let me assure you, those boys were the "real deal" - very talented young fighters. Solid Top Ten contenders. Although Tony seems to get more "ink" on this message board, I personally enjoyed watching Frankie a bit more. Tony was a banger, but Frankie had outstanding technical skills.

vCash

i agree with ray here.

i saw both boys as amateurs and pros and i always considered frankie the better technical fighter. tony had a great left hook that you always had to be wary of but i liked the way frankie picked his spots. i think tony got more opportunities than frankie in big matches because frankie was not only gifted but also a southpaw.

frank sr. spoke once here of trying to get an oliveras fight for frankie. the more i think about that the more i think that would have been a bad nite for ruben at that time. too late in his career to be messing with a larger, gifted southpaw stylist.

greg

vCash

Tom & Greg,

I'm in Laughlin, NV. right now, when I get back home I'll post my thoughts on your posts about Frankie & Tony, I'm getting some R&R, and losing my MONEY.

vCash

frank....just say the gamblers prayer..." lord help me break even because i need the dough"
    greg

vCash

Frank, I wouldn't worry too much about the money. You have enough friends in this forum that we would all chip in for bus fare to help you get home.

vCash

I won $100 bucks, gave it to my wife, and she blew them in 15 minutes.

vCash

We'll chip in for a bus ticket for her too.

vCash

Tom,

Just might have to call on you, my wife is looking to sell my laptop.

vCash

Tony Baltazar (R) vs Rocky Montoya

Tony won a 10 rd. UD.

vCash

Tony Baltazar, La Puente Little League Baseball...Circa 1972

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt
    Tom & Greg,

I'm in Laughlin, NV. right now, when I get back home I'll post my thoughts on your posts about Frankie & Tony, I'm getting some R&R, and losing my MONEY.
    I always thought that Frankie was the better technical fighter and Tony a better puncher, Frankie was a smart fighter, Tony was a ball's to the wall fighter, I thought I had a conbination of both in Bobby who had 6 pro fights, 6wins-5 ko's, Boxrec only list two fights for Bobby but he had 6, but then he fell in love and got married and that was the end of his boxing career.

vCash

frank,
    love that little league pic of tony from '72. i have the same shot of me from '62. one of the few pics of my youth...of course it is in black and white.

greg

vCash

frank...just thinking here but that would have been a killer combo. i think i saw bobby spar but never saw him fight. wish i had. still maybe its better love took over????? is he still with the same lady?

makes me think of a good question for a new thread.

who would you blend??

i always wished i could get danny lopez and al davila in the same body. that would have been a hard guy to beat huh?
    greg

+ Reply to Thread