Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Frankie & Tony Baltazar

vCash

Re: Frankie & Tony Baltazar

Quote Originally Posted by JohntheHammerHeyes
    Can I just say I really enjoy hearing your stories about Frankie and Tony's boxing careers (like the Don King one a couple of weeks back) and seeing all your photos Mr Baltazar. Please keep them coming!
    Thank you John.

vCash

I have a couple of questions to ask you if you don't mind Mr Baltazar.

1) When a father works the corner of his son, people have commented how difficult it is for the father as he is watching from two perspectives, a father and a trainer, and that he is more likely to stop a fight earlier as he is more emotionally involved. As you have experienced this I just wondered what your thoughts were on this?

2) When you were handling Frankie and Tony's careers, if they lost a bout, would your (and Frankie and Tony's) immediate thoughts turn to try and get a rematch and get revenge or is it onto the next fight? Doesn't apply to Bobby of course as he never lost!

Respectfully yours

John Heyes

vCash

I have a couple of questions to ask you if you don't mind Mr Baltazar.

1) When a father works the corner of his son, people have commented how difficult it is for the father as he is watching from two perspectives, a father and a trainer, and that he is more likely to stop a fight earlier as he is more emotionally involved. As you have experienced this I just wondered what your thoughts were on this?

2) When you were handling Frankie and Tony's careers, if they lost a bout, would your (and Frankie and Tony's) immediate thoughts turn to try and get a rematch and get revenge or is it onto the next fight? Doesn't apply to Bobby of course as he never lost!

Respectfully yours

John Heyes

John,

(1)It wasn't difficult for us at all, been that my sons and I were in boxing for so long, we all understood that once we got to the gym or to a fight, I was not their dad and they were not my sons. as for stopping a fight to soon, I don't think I ever did that, I stopped Tony's fight with Robin Blake in the 9st round after Tony had been fighting with a very nasty cut, that wasn't quick stop.
    I stopped Frankie's fight with Bazook Limon in th 4st. round after he had been down couple of times, I thought then that it was a good stop and I still do.

(2)Go on to to the next fight and the forget the lost, for a while any way.

Frank

vCash

Thank you for your answer Frank.

Here is a link to what appears to be the old thread about your boys before the board suffered a crash. It has lots more pics of your sons!!

http://p207.ezboard.com/fcyberboxing...tart=1&stop=20

vCash

Thank you for your answer Frank.

Here is a link to what appears to be the old thread about your boys before the board suffered a crash. It has lots more pics of your sons!!

http://p207.ezboard.com/fcyberboxing...tart=1&stop=20
    Thanks John.

vCash

Frankie is fighting at the Olympic, Norm Lockwood comes in the dressing room and yells "glove up" I glove Frankie, he start to warm up, 30 minutes later Lockwood stick his head in the dressing and yells "ring time" I tell Frankie "let go" he tells me "wait!, wait!, I have to take piss" well we don't have time to take his glove/gloves off so he can take a piss, this fight is on live tv and the tv people have every thing down to the minute, so I look at my assistant John Martinez, he looks at me and say "no,no,no, not me " I say "yes, yes, yes thats what I'm paying you for, I'll wait outside"
    When they come out of dressing room I say to John " well John?" he tells me " you s-o-b" I tell him "don't worry John, I won't tell anybody and I'll buy you a beer too"

vCash

Frankie & Tony Baltazar

Bobby, Frankie and Frank Baltazar
    Father and Son Luncheon
    4-12-2008

vCash

Frankie Baltazar, Frank Baltazar and Tony Baltazar
    Circa..1980

Banned
    vCash

That's the One Frank!

Thanks!

Hawk

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tedsares
    So you are Blues fans?

YES!!!!!!!!!....

Grew up on Blues and early R & B (1940s- early 1950s)

vCash

Damm, How old are you?

vCash

Ted,

For sure we're getting up there in years, some would say we're already there.

vCash

Is there a photo of you and the boys that I could use on my site? The one on this thread is a good one.

Cheers,

Ted The Bull
    Bull,

You can used any photo on this thread that you like.

Btw, let me have a link to your site, if you don't mind.

tedsares

tedsares

Wonderful photos on this thread. I just went though all the pages. Wow! Memory lane-Jaime Garza and John Montes.

vCash

Thanks Bull!

vCash

Frank,

I hope you have taken the time to save these photo's to disc. You should know from being here, someday a grandchild or better will be interested. Iam proud and cherish the things [as you know, because some were found by you] I find about my grandfather. It is time consuming, but don't underestimate the importance to future generations of Kikibalts.

Great thread,
    KI

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by iskigoe
    Frank,

I hope you have taken the time to save these photo's to disc. You should know from being here, someday a grandchild or better will be interested. Iam proud and cherish the things [as you know, because some were found by you] I find about my grandfather. It is time consuming, but don't underestimate the importance to future generations of Kikibalts.

Great thread,
    KI
    Thanks Kevin, and yes I do have the photos on disc, so when my life journey comes to an end, and my grandkids have kids of their own they can show'em photos and say "Here's great-grandpa and Uncle's Frankie and Tony"

tedsares

Frank, many thanks for the use of your truly great thread, the wondeful exchanges on blues, and the use of the Chacon photo for my new book (September). I will not be posting on this site any longer, but I'll be browsing it. If you could send me your email, I'd appreciate it. Mine is tedsares@roadrunner.com.

All the best mate.

vCash

Frankie & Tony Baltazar...Circa 1975

vCash

Tony Baltazar, Alex Ramos and Jerry Cheatham

tedsares

How is your wife doing, mate?

vCash

How is your wife doing, mate?
    She is doing ok, had surgery last night, will come home today, the doc said the surgery went well, now its just a matter of healing time to put up with, just hope the we won't get in each other's nerves...

tedsares

Stay with the blues and the jazz and you will stay mellow. Give my best to her.

vCash

Stay with the blues and the jazz and you will stay mellow. Give my best to her.
    I will, and thanks, Ted.

vCash

Los Vatos

By Ted Sares: Hey vatos; Do you know who the best fighter in the world is pound for pound? Hands down, vatos, hands down! Los jabs, los hooks, los uppercuts...Mando Ramos!" --Edward James Olmos' 1992 film, "American Me".

He was a man of many great qualities…He had the rough and tough outer exterior of a fighter. But inside, he had a pure heart and a gentle soul. He was a great champion in the ring, but he was an even greater champion in life. He helped a lot of inner-city kids. --Mando Ramos Jr.

The California boxing connection is a strong one and the ex-boxers meet regularly. When Mando Ramos sadly passed away this week, the connection evidenced itself front and center. Superstars such as, Alberto Davila, the Baltazar boys, the Sandoval's, Bobby Chacon, Frankie Duarte, Paul Gonzalez, Danny “Little Red “ Lopez, Arturo Frias, Genaro “Chicanito” Hernandez, and Oscar DeLaHoya expressed their grief and shock..

Many of these fighters came out of the Los Angeles Junior Golden Gloves tournaments. All became world class professionals. Some became World Champions. Frankie Baltazar, 40-3-1, was one tough duded and so was his brother Tony “The Tiger,”38-7-1. Both were inducted into the California Boxing Hall of Fame in 2006, along with Carlos Palomino

Rudolfo “El Gato” Gonzalez finished with a career mark of 81-7 (70 KOs) and won the WBC lightweight title in 1972 when he stopped rugged Chango Carmona in 13 rounds. “El Gato” was an immensely popular boxer who performed regularly to overflow crowds at the Olympic Auditorium.

John Jr. Montes, exciting bomber Jaime Garza, Ruben “The Maravilla Kid” Navarro, Raul Rojas, Paul Vaden, Alberto “Superfly” Sandoval and many others too numerous to list thrilled fans in the Los Angeles. Area for years as did the late Keeny Teran and Art Aragon.

Mando Ramos-Sugar Ramos-1970

Mando Ramos was pure 100% L.A fighter. Indeed, twenty-seven of his forty-nine fights were held in the storied Olympic Auditorium. There was something special about him; he was able to connect with and capture the hearts of Mexican-American boxing like few others. Enrique Bolanos, Art Aragon, Keeny Teran, Danny Lopez and Bobby Chacon did it as well. And like Jerry Quarry, he had an abundance of charisma. Lopez and Chacon and even Aragon before them were tremendous box-office attractions, but what was really incredible was that by just the age of eighteen, young Mando virtually owned the Olympic.

On February 18, 1969, Ramos avenged an earlier defeat by stopping Carlos Teo Cruz in the eleventh round. This occurred three months after his 20th birthday and made him the youngest boxer in history to win the World Lightweight Championship.

The rest of the story reads like a roller coaster ride and while it needs to be told, this is a time to mourn someone special, someone who was a beloved member of Los Vatos. Suffice it to say that after checking himself into a rehabilitation clinic in the early '80s, he became clean and sober and remained so the last twenty-five years. He started Boxing Against Alcohol and Drugs (BAAD).

Rest in Peace.

East Side Boxing

vCash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQqejWQcMs8
    Tony Baltazar vs Roger Mayweather

vCash

That boy Tony of yours, Frank - I think I have told you before, but what pleasure he gave me. Man, could Tony hit when he put mind to it! I do wish him the very best.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mike casey
    That boy Tony of yours, Frank - I think I have told you before, but what pleasure he gave me. Man, could Tony hit when he put mind to it! I do wish him the very best.
    Thank you Mike, yeah, he could punch alright, had he thrown more combo's, he would had been a near great, I think...

tedsares

He Had The Pop (pun Intended)

+ Reply to Thread