Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Frankie & Tony Baltazar

vCash

Re: Frankie & Tony Baltazar

"Happy Valley"

In the summer of '53 my friends and I were cruising Whittier Blvd in my '38 4 door Chevy. We met some girls from Happy Valley and they invited us to a house party in Happy Valley for the following Saturday. Saturday comes, I picked my friends up, I drove to East L.A (Eastern Ave) when we knew a store owner that sold beer to under age guys (us), after buying some cold ones we drove to the party, the party was being held in the garage. We seen the girls that invited us and we start dancing slow dances with them. Soon the guys from Happy Valley were getting piss and giving us dirty looks, we kept dancing to slow R & B music, and the Happy Valley dudes are getting pisser by the minute. Soon one of my friends who indulge one to many cold ones sat down on a couch and passed out, while my friend was passed out one guy from Happy Valley started beating the shit out of him, we all jumped the guy and then all hell broke lose. There were 6 of us and about 20 of them, so we ran to my car and jumped in, I had a car in front and one in back of me, in order to get out I had to back up to go around the car in front of me, well I backed up too fast and I hit the car behind me, a mid'30's Ford, all cherry out, the bumpers locked, I put my car in first gear, I took off but was having trouble gaining speed, then one one of my friend tells me "kiki you're towing a car behind you", in a few yards I hit a bump and the bumper unlocked, I seen in the rear view mirror that the Ford hit a parked car, we jump on the 10 freeway and got back to Old Pico to lick our wounds....

vCash

http://youtu.be/GvHVj6Ewiy0

Frankie Baltazar v Charles "Mad Dog" Young

Rest of the fight is on the Youtube side bar

"Frankie Baltazar's Last Fight"

October 24, 1991: Frankie is to fight Charles “Mad Dog” Young for Don Fraser at the Marriott Hotel at Irvine, Ca. We arrived early for the same fight day Weight-in. Contract weight was 143 give or take. Frankie was right on the money at 143. Mad Dog came in 148, five over the contract agreement. The CSAC only allows a fighter to lose two pounds on the day of the fight, so that meant Mad Dog could only come in at 146, still three pounds over. Don Fraser is ready to have a heart attack as he is about to lose his main event. Don asked me if we would fight Mad Dog at ‘46, I said yes, but that we get 10 % of Mad Dog purse, the CSAC inspector jumped at that and said “no way are you getting 10 % of Young’s purse", I told the inspector that if the fight was to go on we were getting 10% of Young’s purse and that if he read his rule book he would find out that we could get it, he called out to his flunky to get him the rule book, he read the rule book and he say “yes you can get 10 % and the CSAC get another 10 %!”. Poor Mad Dog just lost 20 % of his purse. After the inspector and Don Fraser explain things to him, he agree to lose two pounds, don’t think he understood about the 20%.

Mad dog came to the fight without a corner, so he asked Hall Of fame Corner Man Chuck Bodak and Jerry Boyed if they would work his corner, that he would pay them he said. Jerry Boyed in 2004 had a book published “Rope Burns” under the name F.X. Toole. The Oscar winning movie “Million Dollar Baby” was made from that book.

Two or three hours later Mad Dog made 146, so the fight is on. Later on in the afternoon, I was sitting with Pat Russell who was to be the main event referee at the hotel's coffee shop; as we were sitting there Mad Dog came over to our table to talk trash, about how he was going knock Frankie out. I told him that that was okay with me. That either way I would walk out with the winner, he asked me “whatcha ya mean, whatcha ya mean?”; I told him; you and Frankie are my fighters, he tells me “I am not your fighter”. I than told him that for tonight’s fight I owned 10 % of him, Pat Russell told him that that was true; he then walked away muttering.

The fight went all Frankie’s way. He stopped Mad Dog in the ninth round. After the fight in the dressing room I told Frankie that we needed to talk about his boxing career and where he was going from here, well the rest is history.

Afterward I was in the hotel bar having a drink with some friends and fans of Frankie when Chuck Bodak and Jerry Boyed came up to me and asked me if I have seen Mad Dog, I said no, what happened I asked them, “The S-B didn’t pay us”... The Mad Dog was long gone….
    Last edited by kikibalt; 08-21-2011 at 06:42 PM.

vCash

Judge Leopoldo Sanchez

The Judge
    Leopoldo Sanchez

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge

One Sunday night in the summer of* ‬1961* ‬I was cruising down Whittier Blvd.* ‬in East Los Angeles listening to some R* & ‬B’s when I see a red light on my rear view mirror,* ‬the cops are pulling me over,* ‬for what*?‬,* ‬I don’t know,* ‬I pulled over to the curb and waited for the Man to come give me a ticket.

*“‬Driver’s license and car registration please*”‬,* ‬I handed the cop both license and registration,* ‬as I do so I tell the cop* “‬careful with the license,* ‬just got them back couple of weeks ago*”‬,* “‬you just got them back*?” ‬the cop asked me,* “‬yeah*” ‬I said,* “‬why did you just get them back*?” ‬the cop wanted to know,* “‬well my license was suspended for a while*” ‬I said,* “‬how long of a while*?” ‬the cop shot back at me,* ‬short while I said,* “‬were you driving while your license were suspended*?”‬,* “‬no sir*” ‬I said,* “‬are you sure*? ‬Do you have any warrants*”‬,* “‬no sir*” ‬I said again,* “‬well let’s find out*” ‬he tells me.* ‬The cop goes back to his car,* ‬gets on the radio and runs a make on me,* ‬after a few minutes he comes back and tells me to put my hands on the hood of the car,* ‬Damn*!‬,* ‬Going to jail on a beautiful summer night,* ‬the only good thing is that it was on a Sunday night,* ‬because Monday morning we go see the judge.

I was taken to the East Los Angeles Sheriff Sub-Station on Third Street to spend the night.* ‬Monday morning comes and I with a few others are taken to the courthouse to see the judge,* ‬some of us are taken into Judge Leopoldo Sanchez courtroom,* ‬Sanchez had a reputation as the most lenient judge in E.L.A,* ‬anybody and everybody who had a case pending in the E.L.A courthouse wanted to go in front of Judge Sanchez,* ‬lucky me,* ‬I also knew the Judge from the Olympic Auditorium as he was a big boxing fan,* ‬I would see him there every Thursday night,* ‬now and then I would talk to him there at the Olympic,* ‬but I never introduce myself so he did’n’t know my name.

Judge Sanchez starts hearing cases,* ‬after two or three cases he calls* “‬Frank Baltazar case number XXXX*”‬,* “‬yes your honor*” ‬I answered,* “‬You are charged with driving with a suspended license,* ‬how do you plea*?‬,* “‬guilty your honor*”‬,* “‬okay,* ‬a ten dollar fine,* ‬can you pay it*?”‬,* “‬yes,* ‬your honor*”‬,* “‬okay sit down*” ‬the judge tells me,* ‬I sat,* ‬the judge call the next case,* “‬Frank Baltazar case number XXXX*”‬,* “‬yes,* ‬your honor*”‬,* “‬oh it’s you again,* ‬let see what are you charged with this time*”‬,* “‬I think it’s the same thing your honor,* ‬driving with suspended license*”‬,* “‬Yes it is and how do you plea*?”‬,* “‬guilty your honor*”‬,* “‬I’m going to have to fine you twenty five dollar on this one,* ‬can you pay it*?”‬,* “‬yes,* ‬your honor*” ‬I answered again,* “‬okay sit down*”‬,* ‬I sat,* ‬the judge call his next case* “‬Frank Baltazar case XXXX*”‬,* “‬yes,* ‬your honor*”‬,* “‬you again*?‬,* ‬Same charge,* ‬how many warrants did you have*?” ‬The judge asked me,* “‬three your honor,* ‬this should be the last one*” ‬I said,* “‬okay,* ‬I fined* ‬you ten dollar on the first one and twenty five on the second one,* ‬on the third one I’m going to have to fine you seventy five dollar,* ‬can you pay it*?”‬,* “‬your honor I can pay the first two now,* ‬but I can’t pay the last one*” ‬I told the judge,* “‬okay,* ‬pay the thirty five dollars by* ‬5:00* ‬PM today and I’ll give you three months to pay the seventy five dollars at twenty five dollars a month*” “‬thank you your honor,* ‬I can do that,* ‬but I need to go home to get the thirty five dollars*”‬,* ‬the judge than told the bailiff to let me go home to get the thirty five.* ‬I ran all the way home,* ‬which was’n’t more than two miles from my house,* ‬get a ride with a friend back to the courthouse,* ‬paid the thirty five dollars,* ‬put the receipt in my wallet and then went to get my car out of the tow yard,* ‬another fifty buck it cost me.

I then paid three payments of twenty five a month for the next three months.* ‬I saved the receipts just in case.* ‬I run into the judge at the fights a couple of times and he asked me if I was paying the fine* “‬yes sir*” ‬I told him.

A few months later after I had made my last payment I got pulled over in Montebello,* ‬cops ran a make on me and it turned out I had a warrant with a nine dollar bail,* ‬so I am taken to the Montebello Police department,* ‬from there I called Connie to come bail me out,* ‬told her to make sure she brought nine dollars.

I left the Montebello Police station with a date to see the judge.* ‬I go see Judge Sanchez on the date I was given.* ‬When he called my name he is one pissed off judge,* “‬I gave you a chance to pay the seventy five dollar fine in three months and you did’n’t*”‬,* “‬But,* ‬But sir*!‬,* ‬I did pay the seventy five dollars*”‬,* “‬you did*?”‬,* “‬yes sir and I have the receipts with me*” “‬give them to the bailiff*”‬,* ‬I gave them to the bailiff and he passes them on to the judge,* ‬after he read the receipts he tells me* “‬but you did’n’t pay the other three dollars*”‬,* “‬what other three dollars your honor*?”‬,* ‬for every twenty five dollars you pay one dollar for something or other he told me,* ‬I than told him that he told me to pay twenty five dollars a month,* ‬and which I did and I had the receipts to prove it,* “‬Case dismissed*” ‬said the judge,* “‬your honor,* ‬what about my nine dollars for the bail*?”‬,* “ ‬oh,* ‬you will get that back in the mail in about a month*”…‬About three weeks later I got my nine dollars back and then Connie took them away from me,* ‬said it was her money.....* ‬just can’t get any respect

vCash

Frank Baltazar, and old rivals, Bobby Chacon and Danny "Little Red" Lopez at the 2010 California Ball of Fame Banquet.

vCash

The Teamsters Gym, downtown Los Angeles, Ca.

This is where my boys started their boxing careers back in '64. I was in the area this morning and I stopped and shot this photo. Memories of past times came flooding to me as I shot the photo, I closed my eyes and I seen 3 year old Tony and 6 old year Frankie shadow boxing in the Teamsters ring.

vCash

Boxing is build on a foundation of sepia tone memories passed on from generation to generation and the Teamsters gym produce plenty.

vCash

I tried to wake the roosters up this morning, but they flip their wings on me and want back to sleep.....When I was about 14 years old living in Simons a friend and I were messing with two sisters, they were about 13 & 14 years old. One nite when their parents were out on the town my friend and I want to the girls house, they let us in and with the lights out we start making out. We lost track of time because the parents came home and we were still there with the girls, my friend and I ran out the back door, we didn't know where to hide so we ran into the chicken coop, we hided there till the lights in the house went out, as the lights went out we walked out the gate and went home, next day my friend and I were full of chicken bugs. Hell I didn't know the chickens had bugs....

vCash

Frankie Baltazar v Chango Cruz

http://youtu.be/tgDI91Q81p0
    Frankie Baltazar v Chango Cruz
    October 28, 1976

On Monday, October 25, 1976, Frankie and I were working at a Ford dealership (paint shop) in Alhambra, Ca. That morning I told Frankie that on our lunch hour I was going to go see Don Chargin at the Olympic Auditorium to see if I could set up a six-round fight for him for that coming Thursday night.

I left Alhambra about 11:30 AM. and got to the Olympic about 25 minutes later. As I parked the car I was thinking about how hard it had become to get Frankie fights. His record stood at 4-1 with 2 knockouts. The one decision loss was an out-of-town (Stockton, Ca.) fight against Reynaldo Zaragoza, a fight that just about everybody in the house thought Frankie had won.

As I entered the Olympic I was hoping that I wasn't again wasting my time as I had been doing lately in talking to Chargin. I climbed the stairs to his office and as I got to the door I could hear Harry Kabakoff saying, "What are we going to do Don? Castillo won't fight Cruz."

"We'll find somebody for him to fight, so don't worry Harry," I heard Don say. As I walked in I could see that Harry looked like he was about to start crying, but he smiled a big smile when he saw me walk in.

"Is your boy ready to fight?" Harry asked me.

"Yes, that's why I'm here, to see if I can get Frankie a six-round fight," I answered.

"How about Thursday night in the main event?" Harry asked.

"Against who?" I countered.

"Chango Cruz."

"C'mon Harry. Cruz has had 12 fights with 8 KO's, Frankie only has five fights. By the way, what happened to Castillo?"

"Castillo got sick, so they say. I think they are afraid to fight my new champ," said Harry.

I turned to Chargin and asked him about getting a six-round fight, and he said that none of the local fighters wanted to fight Frankie and that it was too expensive to bring in out-of-town fighters for a six-round fight. At that point Harry jumped in and told me to forget about a six rounder and to take the Cruz fight. Chargin then said, "Frank, we'll pay you XXX dollars."

"I don't know, Don. Like I said, Frankie only has had five fights, and he has never gone more than seven rounds. This would be a ten-round fight against a guy with 12 wins, 8 by knockout. I don't want to put Frankie in over his head," I said to Chargin. Harry again jumped in and said they would pay us more than they first offered. After going around for about an hour and seeing the offer go up a few more times and being told not to worry about the weight, I accepted the fight.

I got back to the shop and told Frankie to go home, that he was fighting the main on Thursday. "Who am I fighting Pops?" he asked.

"You are fighting Chango Cruz, mijo," I said.

"But Pops! Cruz has 12 wins and 8 by knockout. I only have five fights. What happened to Castillo?"

"Castillo got sick, mijo. Now go home, I'll see you at the gym," I told him.

I wasn't sure that Frankie would beat Cruz, but I was sure that he wouldn't get hurt. After all, Frankie had been boxing since he was six years old.

Frankie won by ninth-round knockout, and Harry didn't talk to me for about six months after that. . . . .
    Last edited by kikibalt; 09-06-2011 at 11:14 PM.

vCash

Frank, if that car dealership only knew that the big daddy haggler was in their mist. They would have grabbed you out of the bodyshop and put you in the front office. That's a story that would make old jack Kearns proud. You should pick your brain for a few more of these. Great stuff.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by iskigoe View Post
    Frank, if that car dealership only knew that the big daddy haggler was in their mist. They would have grabbed you out of the bodyshop and put you in the front office. That's a story that would make old jack Kearns proud. You should pick your brain for a few more of these. Great stuff.
    Thanks Kevin....LOL!!...soon after this fight I got fired and since Frankie was working for me; he had to go too. The owner said we were spending too much time on the fight game. It worked out for us though, within a couple of week I landed a better paying job, one mile from our house, at our local Chevy dealer. There the owner loved us, we couldn't do no wrong. He and his wife started attending Frankie and Tony's fights, on our dime of course....LOL!!
    Last edited by kikibalt; 09-07-2011 at 08:03 AM.

vCash

Frank i knew there was a reason I liked you. I too have been let go from many a car dealership for following my dream. I would work like crazy for a time then quit or get fired. Off I would go training show horses till I got broke then onto another dealership. It sucks to have a dream and to have to eat. While I did not enjoy the top rank success you and your boys had many of my horse did. I can always sleep at night knowing I made it to the show as they say, but boy was the road rough and did I blow some good jobs and a bunch of cash. All for the glory.when I read of a fighter who fights after his prime I can fully understand. It becomes all you know. What I would do for one more great horse.

vCash

Frank i knew there was a reason I liked you. I too have been let go from many a car dealership for following my dream. I would work like crazy for a time then quit or get fired. Off I would go training show horses till I got broke then onto another dealership. It sucks to have a dream and to have to eat. While I did not enjoy the top rank success you and your boys had many of my horse did. I can always sleep at night knowing I made it to the show as they say, but boy was the road rough and did I blow some good jobs and a bunch of cash. All for the glory.when I read of a fighter who fights after his prime I can fully understand. It becomes all you know. What I would do for one more great horse.
    Kevin, that wasn't the first time I got fired from a job because of my boxing activities. But like you said, we had to follow that dream. We did okay at our local Chevy dealer for a number of years. Then the owner died, the old man, Leo Hoffman, was a great guy to work for and he was a big boxing fan. He would call me into his office just to talk boxing, always wanted to know when the boys were fighting again. He would take Frankie, Tony and I out to lunch, he gave Tony a job in the front office, doing what you ask, nothing, he just wanted him around to be introduce to buying customers. Then he died and things went to hell, the dealership GM didn't like us, I think he was jealous. He started giving us a hard time soon after the old man died, so Frankie, Tony and I bought are our own body shop, kept that for some years, when I was ready to retired we sold it. I tried to talk the boys into keeping it for themselves, but no, they said they were ready to move on...

vCash

At a press conference after the Tony Baltazaz/Howard Davis fight a reporter asked Tony a question.
    Reporter: Tony, after dropping Howard twice; were you surprise at the decision?

Tony: well, you know; I am a long way from home.

vCash

Guacamole on a molcajete..La Parrilla, East Los Angeles

vCash

Connie and I..La Parrilla, East Los Angeles.
    Last edited by kikibalt; 09-11-2011 at 04:51 PM.

vCash

Tony "The Tiger" Baltazar became a grandpa for the time today, his daughter Nakojua gave birth to Aubrella Trinity Baltazar this morning.

vCash

God bless the new tiger cub. Could not not have a better great grandpa.

vCash

God bless the new tiger cub. Could not not have a better great grandpa.
    Thank you mucho kevin...

vCash

Congradulations to all of you. It doesn't get any better than Grand Kids.

Randy

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Wing master View Post
    Congradulations to all of you. It doesn't get any better than Grand Kids.

Randy
    Thanks Randy...Tony's first grandchild is our fourth great-grandchild...are we getting/are old or what??....

vCash

Tony Baltazar v Roger Mayweather

vCash

Connie called me a drama queen, here's why.

I went out to get the newspaper, I found the paper underneath one of the cars on the driveway. I had to get down on my hands and knees to get it and at 74 years of age that's not an easy task to do. I struggle getting up, and in doing so I ran out of breath. Connie seen me as I was trying to catch my breath as I walked inside the house.

"What wrong?" she asked me
    I was still huffing and puffing as I told her how I had a hard time getting up after getting the paper from underneath the car.
    "You're such a drama queen!" she said to me
    Don't get no respect or sympathy from Connie that's for sure!....

vCash

Chicano style breakfast...bacon & eggs, tortillas & home cook potatoes

That salsa was the bomb!!

vCash

DWB

Back in the ‘50’s us chicano teenagers would get stopped by the Man for no reason other, that we were chicano's. I remember one Sunday in ‘54’s when Connie and I (before we got married) were cruising in Pico Viejo. As we cruise the barrio I had a black and white on my tail. I made a right turn, he made a right turn, I made a left turn, he made a left turn, all this while he is riding my rear bumper. I finally got tired of the cat and mouse game so I pulled over to the curb. He stopped right behind me, got out of his car and walked over to mine and asked me: “why did you pull over?”

“You were going to pull me over so I figure that the sooner we get it over with, the sooner my girlfriend and I can enjoy our cruising” I said to the Man

He turned around without saying another word and got back on his ride and left us sitting there dumbfounded.

vCash

Hello Mr. Baltazar, my name is Francisco Perez the nephew of Sonny Perez who fought your son Tony Back in 1981. He passed away a few years after that I was just a kid then and don't have to many memories of my uncle, and I was wondering if you have any pictures from that fight or maybe the fight itself. I would greatly appreciate it also is an honor for my family to know that my uncle got a chance to share the ring with the great champion Tony "The Tiger" Baltazar.

vCash

My yahoo email account was hacked last night, sometime after 9:00 PM. If anybody received any email from my account around that time, it was send without my knowledge, so please disregard the email....I apologize for any inconvenience it might have caused you.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by perez385 View Post
    Hello Mr. Baltazar, my name is Francisco Perez the nephew of Sonny Perez who fought your son Tony Back in 1981. He passed away a few years after that I was just a kid then and don't have to many memories of my uncle, and I was wondering if you have any pictures from that fight or maybe the fight itself. I would greatly appreciate it also is an honor for my family to know that my uncle got a chance to share the ring with the great champion Tony "The Tiger" Baltazar.
    Hi Francisco, sorry to hear about Sonny's passing. Our condolences to you and family/friends. Below is a picture of Sonny's fight with my son Anthony. This all I have on that fight...Hope you enjoy your time here at the CBZ.

vCash

Olympic Auditorium
    Dec.7, 1978

Franco Thomas, Jimmy Lennon Sr. & Frankie Baltazar

vCash

vCash

i miss franks old california boxing donations to this site...... everything ok ?

+ Reply to Thread