Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Frankie & Tony Baltazar

vCash

Re: Frankie & Tony Baltazar

Quote Originally Posted by gregbeyer View Post
    i miss franks old california boxing donations to this site...... everything ok ?
    I am ok, Greg, thanks for asking. I have lost so much interest in boxing lately that I haven't being very active in any boxing web sites. I do come here now and then and read some of the postings, though I don't post much myself...

vCash

well frank, i can certainly understand that. i still get sad on thursdays when i realize there are no fights at the olympic.

glad your ok.

greg

vCash

well frank, i can certainly understand that. i still get sad on thursdays when i realize there are no fights at the olympic.

glad your ok.

greg
    Great times and great fights back in those Thursday's night, Greg. Live is just not fair...LOL!!

vCash

yep. we had it good and didn't know it !

vCash

Teamsters Boys Club boxers

Found this dated photo (circa 1965). Far left, Tony Baltazar, third from left, Tony "Boo" Campa, fifth from left, Frankie Baltazar, the Teamsters honchos, far right in the white T's, left Arturo Cordova and Richard Ruby.
    Last edited by kikibalt; 11-25-2011 at 08:15 PM.

vCash

Frankie has a good stance. Very impressive for a... what 8 year old?
    Hope you and your family had a good Thanksgiving.

Randy

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Wing master View Post
    Frankie has a good stance. Very impressive for a... what 8 year old?
    Hope you and your family had a good Thanksgiving.

Randy
    Frankie was 7 if that was shot in 1965. Yes, I agree that he had a good stance for such a young kid.

Thanks, Randy, we had a great Thanksgiving day, one bad thing though; was that Tony and Bobby and their families couldn't make it from Arizona.

Hope you and yours had a great thanksgiving.

vCash

Thanks Frank.
    We did have a great Thanksgiving. Kids and grandkids all showed up. The food was good but having all of them together is what it's all about.
    Sorry to hear Tony didn't make it. How is he doing? I hope he is 100% after the accident.

Randy

vCash

Thanks Frank.
    We did have a great Thanksgiving. Kids and grandkids all showed up. The food was good but having all of them together is what it's all about.
    Sorry to hear Tony didn't make it. How is he doing? I hope he is 100% after the accident.

Randy
    I agree about the kids and grandkids...Anthony is doing fine as far as I know. We don't get to see him much; so we really don't know if he doing as good as he tell us he is doing...Hope to see him over the coming holidays.

vCash

hey frank,

an old friend just mailed me a package of olympic auditorium news letters from 1970. lot of buchanan-ramos, crawford-sladivar, ramos-rojas etc.

thought maybe you could post them up in the calif. section.

send me your e-mail address along with your street address at ..... gbeyer1952@gmail.com and i will send them to you.

greg

vCash

hey frank,

an old friend just mailed me a package of olympic auditorium news letters from 1970. lot of buchanan-ramos, crawford-sladivar, ramos-rojas etc.

thought maybe you could post them up in the calif. section.

send me your e-mail address along with your street address at ..... gbeyer1952@gmail.com and i will send them to you.

greg
    Done!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt View Post
    Done!

cool.

vCash

Frank,
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Randy

vCash

Frank,
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Randy
    Thanks, Randy. May you and yours have a joyful Holiday Season and a very Merry Xmas to y'all.

vCash

"Car Problems and The Cucuy"
    By Frank "kiki" Baltazar

I think the Cucuy has being hanging around our house lately. Why else what happened at the beginning of the week with our cars happened? If it was not for the Cucuy, then what was it?

Sunday I drove Connie’s car to the local 76 to fill it up, after filling it up I drove it back home, park it in front of our house. Next morning Connie jumped in the car to go to work, after kissing me good bye she hit the key and the car wouldn’t start, after trying to start it couple more times and it not firing up I told her to forget it and to take my truck, she did.

After having breakfast I called my son-in-law, Ray, who is a certified auto mechanic. Lucky for me that Ray has Monday’s off, later that morning Ray came and checked the car out, but he couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t start, Ray told me that he needed the car towed to his house so that he could hook the scanner to it. Ray has his garage set-up like a mini auto shop. I called AAA to pick the car up, told them where to take it to, they did.

Monday evening after Connie got home I drove my truck to the 76 and filled it up, I then drove it back home. Tuesday I needed to go to CVS to pick up some drugs and I needed to do it before Connie went to work since I was going to be without wheels for the day. While Connie was in the shower I put a jacket over my pj’s and walked out, jumped in my truck, hit the key and the truck wouldn’t start, same thing as Connie’s car, the engine would turn but it wouldn’t fire up. I walked back inside the house to give Connie the bad news, that being that it looked like she had to spent all day with me, she doesn’t like that, I wonder why? I think I am a nice enough dude…LOL!! I asked Connie if she wanted me to rent her a car so she could go to work, she told me to wait, that she was going to stay home. She called work and told a girl what was going on with the cars. She then fixed breakfast for us, after breakfast she told me to go ahead and rent her a car so she could go to work Wednesday, and I did so.

I called Ray again, he said he would stop by on his way to work, which he did, after checking the truck out he said that it seem to be a fuel problem, that he would come back after he got out of work and see if he could fix it. That evening Ray came back and he couldn’t get the truck to fire up. I then told Ray to fix Connie’s car first and that we would worry about my truck later. Late Tuesday evening Ray called to tell us he had Connie’s car running, he said that for some reason or other the fuel injectors stay opened and it flooded the engine, one down, one to go.

Wednesday morning Connie went to work and I after being up with Connie went back to bed. After Facebooking while lying in bed I got up and burned me some breakfast. After cleaning up the mess I made in the kitchen I walked outside, looked at my truck and after cussing it out I jumped in it hit the key and damn if the truck didn’t fired right up!

I don’t believe in the Cucuy, but just maybe? Did my cussing scared the Cucuy away, just maybe!

vCash

Tony Baltazar v Robin Blake

At the time of Tony’s fight with Robin Blake Bob Arum was still base out of New York City. His man in Las Vegas was Mel Greb. My dealings for the fight were with Greb who was a hard guy to deal with.

We made the fight over the phone, but I had to go to Vegas to sign the contract. Mel wanted me to fly out of Ontario Airport, on their dime, of course, sign the contract and fly right back home. I told him no, that I would drive on Saturday, two weeks before the fight. I told him to get me a room at the Showboat and that I wanted $500 to play the slots, he barked, but I got what I wanted.

Saturday morning two weeks before the fight I drove to Vegas on Connie’s new 1984 Z28 Camaro, made the trip in about four hours. When I got to Vegas there was a room waiting for me at the Showboat, after checking in I called Mel, told him I was at the Showboat, he told me that he would meet me at the coffee shop within an hour.

We met and Mel hands me the contract to sign, well, I am no lawyer, but I could see that everything we had agreed on was not on the contract. The money for the fight was okay, but the 4 rooms for five days, five round-trip tickets from Ontario Airport, meals for five people for five days, 5k for training expenses, Frankie’s fight on the card were not on the contract, when I told Mel that I wanted all that on the contract, he told me to sign the contract and that everything would be taken care off, I refuse to sign the contract until he added all that we had agreed upon, when he did and he handed me a check for 5k and the $500 cash for me to play with I signed the contract.

Saturday before the fight I drove Tony, Frankie, Bobby and Herman Montes, who we had hired as a sparring partner for Tony to Ontario Airport. I paid for the tickets. After the fights when we got paid I was still out the five hundred for the plane tickets, I hit Bob Arum, he told me to see Mel Greb about it. I told Mel that I still had $500 coming for the plane tickets. He bought out a roll of hundred dollar bills, gave me four, I told him it was five, not four that I had coming, “take the four” Mel said to me, I said to Mel “Mel, either you give me five or I’ll take all your money from you” Mel was a little guy..LOL! He gave me the five.

There’s another part of the contract that has to do with Frankie’s fight.
    Last edited by kikibalt; 03-08-2012 at 05:56 PM.

vCash

Tony Baltazar, Raul Bencomo and Jimmy Montoya

On March 19, 1981, on a card headline by Kiko Bejines vs Franco Torregoza at the Olympic Auditorium Tony fought Jimmy Montoya’s fighter Raul Bencomo in a scheduled six rounder. Bencomo proved to be a lot tougher than what we expected. Fight was pretty even going into the fifth round. Around mid-round Bencomo backed Tony against the ropes and in rushing-in for what he thought was the kill ran into one of Tony’s patented short left hooks, Bencomo was out before he hit the canvas. A rematch was in order.

The rematch didn’t take place till the following year, June 26, 1982 on a card headline by Frankie and Tony, also at the Olympic Auditorium. This time the fight was scheduled for ten rounds. This time it was Tony all the way. In the second round Tony hit Bencomo again with his patented left hook. Again Bencomo was out before he hit the canvas…Frankie too won by second round KO vs Abe Perez.

After the fights down in the Olympic’s catacombs (dressing rooms) Jimmy told Bencomo not to worry about losing, that he would get him another fight with Tony. Bencomo told Jimmy: “fuck you, you fight him, the sonofbitch is crazy, he is trying to kill me!”
    Last edited by kikibalt; 03-22-2012 at 05:01 PM.

vCash

Golden State Boxers' Association
    Presents the 1st Annual
    "Don Fraser"
    Lifetime Achievement Award - 2008
    *this year's award will be presented
    to the father/son combination boxers~

Father/Son Honorees

Frank Sr./Frank Jr./ Tony Baltazar & Bobby Baltazar

Bob/Orlando & Ramon De La Fuente

Eduardo/Robert Garcia

Pat/Chuck/Erik & PJ Goosen

Lenny/Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini

Jack/Sugar Shane Mosley

Ray/Mando Ramos

Sonny/Randy Shields

Charles/Jeremy Williams

**Special Award Howie/Carol Steindler

April 12th - Saturday - Steven's Steakhouse

vCash

http://www.youtube.com/user/baltazar...e=results_main

Check out all the great fights posted

vCash

http://www.canopicpublishing.com/boxing/kiki1951.htm

The 1951 Fight for Life: Remembering Keeny Teran and Enrique Bolanos

vCash

My son Tony Baltazar, seen here with Candi Marks, representative of the Manitoba, Canada Government, was contracted by the Manitoba Government (First Nation Reserve Communities) for a speaking engagement and to talk to their youth....Tony was in The Pas, Manitoba for three days.

vCash

Frank, I had no idea that was his final destination. I have been through the Pas so many times. I'll have to give Tony a holler tonight.

Dan

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hanley View Post
    Frank, I had no idea that was his final destination. I have been through the Pas so many times. I'll have to give Tony a holler tonight.

Dan
    Dan, Anthony had a great time at The Pas, Manitoba, Canada. They want him back later on in the year, or early next year.

vCash

vCash

This is a great thread! I remember Tony and Frankie very well. Completely different styles but both very effective fighters. I have no doubt that both would hold belts
    and make big money today, I just don't see fighters like Tony and Frankie around today.

EMF

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Every Mother's Fear View Post
    This is a great thread! I remember Tony and Frankie very well. Completely different styles but both very effective fighters. I have no doubt that both would hold belts
    and make big money today, I just don't see fighters like Tony and Frankie around today.

EMF
    Thanks EMF, Not because they're my sons, but I agree with you.

vCash

Frankie Baltazar & Paul Gonzalez

vCash

Lena Horn-Joe Louis-Johnnie Flores

The later Los Angeles boxing trainer, Johnnie “Mr. Golden Gloves” Flores once told me a story about how he met the beautiful Lena Horn. I was reminded of Johnnie’s story last night as I was watching Lena Horn in ‘Stormy Weather’

Johnnie’s story: soon after WWII ended Johnnie was in a fancy restaurant in New York City with Joe Louis, long time heavyweight champ. I don’t know if this was in the late 1940s or early 1950s. According to Johnnie, both he and Louis were broke. They were sitting there trying to figure out how to pay for dinner when in walked Lena Horn with a friend. Louis stood up to invite Horn and her friend to his and Johnnie’s table, and as he was doing so he told Johnnie to order anything he wanted.

They all had a fancy dinner with fancy drinks. After dinner Louis asked the waiter for the check, which he got, he then proceeded to check it out real good, making sure they were not over-charge, after making sure they were not, he handed the check to Lena Horn telling her “take care of this and don’t forget to add the tip to it”

vCash

Tony Baltazar v Roger Mayeather

vCash

+ Reply to Thread