The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Frankie & Tony Baltazar

vCash

Re: Frankie & Tony Baltazar

Quote Originally Posted by Husker
    Frank,
    First off, hope you and yours had a great holiday and that the new year is going well. ESPN2 showed a replay of Tony's fight with Hector Camacho Saturday and watching it brought to mind a question that I simply have to ask you...as one father to another:

What was Tony thinking with that hairstyle and how did you let yourself be seen with him in public?

Continued best wishes to all the Baltazars.

Nothing I could do about his hair cut, his then wife Kandy used to cut his hair...

Best wishes to you and yours, Husk

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kikibalt
    Frankie is fighting at the Olympic, Norm Lockwood comes in the dressing room and yells "glove up" I glove Frankie, he start to warm up, 30 minutes later Lockwood stick his head in the dressing and yells "ring time" I tell Frankie "let go" he tells me "wait!, wait!, I have to take piss" well we don't have time to take his glove/gloves off so he can take a piss, this fight is on live tv and the tv people have every thing down to the minute, so I look at my assistant John Martinez, he looks at me and say "no,no,no, not me " I say "yes, yes, yes thats what I'm paying you for, I'll wait outside"
    When they come out of dressing room I say to John " well John?" he tells me " you s-o-b" I tell him "don't worry John, I won't tell anybody and I'll buy you a beer too"
    How did I miss this story before? That's one of the funniest damn things I've ever read on the net..or anywhere else. Since you went through the trouble of posting the link, Frank, I'm about to watch Tony's fight with Robin Blake for the 1st time since I saw it live with my dad.

The memories this aughta bring back. Once again, thanks for all you bring to the table Mr. B.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Husker
    How did I miss this story before? That's one of the funniest damn things I've ever read on the net..or anywhere else. Since you went through the trouble of posting the link, Frank, I'm about to watch Tony's fight with Robin Blake for the 1st time since I saw it live with my dad.

The memories this aughta bring back. Once again, thanks for all you bring to the table Mr. B.
    Husker

I hope that when you watch the Tony/Robin fight it will bring you happy memories of that day that you spent with your dad watching that fight.

That story of Frankie and John with the gloves was one that John and I would never forget, John passed away in 1994, I was with him the day before he died, and of the all things he could've said to me, it had to be about helping Frankie take a piss, we laughed about it and then he calls me a s.o.b., and we laughed some more.

vCash

John Martinez...1939...1994

My friend and boxing partner the late John Martinez, here in Lake Tahoe for Bobby's first pro fight.
    Jan. 1985

vCash

vCash

My late buddy John Martinez had this done, its a 1988 calendar

vCash

Closet Classic: Frankie Baltazar vs. Juan Escobar (1983)
    By Ted Sares -

photo courtesy of Frank Baltazar

The historic Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles was home to any number of great fights. Some were pure classics; others flew a bit under the radar. One such bout was when hard hitting LA area native Frankie Baltazar took on rugged Juan Escobar on June 17, 1983. Escobar was 26-8-2 while Frankie was 33-2-1. Baltazar had gone undefeated in 30 of his last 31 outings having lost to “Bazooka” Limon in a bid for the NABF super featherweight title. Escobar, who had fought some tough customers like Ruben Castillo, was best known for his draw with the legendary Salvador Sanchez in 1978 when he decked the great Sanchez in the fifth canto. He was not one to be taken lightly. The baby faced Juan was the underdog but insiders were saying “watch out..”

The stage was set for a solid fight between two well schooled southpaws and that’s exactly what occurred as Escobar controlled the first round with strong left crosses, and then opened up on Frankie in the second stanza and almost took him out with a flurry of flush shots, his strong left being the most prominent.

In the fourth, the stylish Mexican had Baltazar’s right eye all but closed as he worked both upstairs and downstairs putting Frankie in sudden jeopardy. But then, midway in the fifth stanza, Baltazar found his right hand and rocked the Tijuana native with a hard overhand right. He continued to land this same punch until the bell rang. All of a sudden, he was back in the fight. The turnaround in the sixth round as Baltazar continually landed right hooks and straight lefts, often in combination. Clearly, the tide had turned as the bell rang.

Frankie kept the pressure on in the seventh as the fight evened. However, his right eye was just about closed and terribly discolored prompting the ringside doctor to take a long look. Meanwhile, Escobar no longer had the look of confidence that he possessed in the first four rounds. Baltazar now had become the stalker. After an eighth round that could have gone to either fighter, the fight appeared even going into the last two stanzas. The ninth also was close as both fighters exchanged heavy shots and Escobar finished the stronger of the two moving Frankie into a corner with heavy shots.

Going into the last round, the fight was there to be won. Frankie’s face opened up as his eye totally closed and his nose now bled profusely due in part to a number of unintentional head butts. Then, with just 30 seconds remaining, Frankie landed a right counter that sent Escobar to the deck and opened up a severe cut over left his eye.

As a very young Jimmy Lennon, Jr. read the scoring, fans threw money into the ring which was a custom at the Olympic when they appreciated a great fight. Referee James Jen-Kin and judge Vince Delgado had it 95-94 and 96-94, respectively, for Baltazar. Judge Rudy Jordan saw it 95-96 for Escobar. Frankie Baltazar had pulled out a dramatic split decision thanks to a last minute knockdown.

(Photo courtesy of Frank Baltazar)

Baltazar would go on to win six of his last seven and finish with a fine slate of 40-3-1 and an impressive KO percentage of 61.36. Escobar would not be as fortunate. He would KO the limited Felipe Urguiza just a week later, but then would lose his final five bouts all by way of stoppage. The opposition was stiff including Aussie Graeme Brooke, Sergio Zambrano (31-1-1 coming in), future world champion Jorge Vaca, and Primo “Kid Durango” Ramos.

Later than same evening, Frankie’s brother, Tony “The Tiger” Baltazar decisioned Roque “Rocky” Montoya. As always, their father, Frank Sr., was in the corner for both fights.

There have been many great boxing families, but none more exciting in the ring than the Baltazar’s. Fittingly, Tony, Frankie and Frank Sr. are members of the California Boxing Hall of Fame. As well, they captured the adoration of “pochos” (a. k.a Chicanos), something only a few would accomplish, guys the likes “Mando,” Bobby, “Little Red,” but something Oscar never could.

vCash

vCash

Backyard gym

The 1950's

The old backyard gyms

vCash

I'm posting this videos again because the the other ones were taken off You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6_lPKTqslQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKqh7KnhCj8

Frankie Baltazar vs Juan Escobar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdYfPAbaEBU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF2A4ZJLn-4

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

Back row, Monroe Ratliff, Howard Smith & Charlie Powell. Front row, Bill Young, Joey Olmos, Danny Valdivia, Larry Montalvo & I. Ratliff, Smith, Powell, Young, Montalvo and I were presented with the "Joe Louis Humanitarian Award" by Olmos and Valdivia at the "Women Behind The Boxer Award" luncheon, it was a surprise to me to say the least.
    Last edited by kikibalt; 03-01-2009 at 10:12 PM.

vCash

Frankie putting in a good word for mom

vCash

More good words for mom from Bobby

vCash

Here I am introducing Connie

vCash

Connie accepting her award

vCash

Frank
    Thank you for putting up these photo's of your wonderful family. You are such a lucky man in many respects. Also of course i hope the treatment is going OK for you my friend.
    Danny

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wildhawke11
    Frank
    Thank you for putting up these photo's of your wonderful family. You are such a lucky man in many respects. Also of course i hope the treatment is going OK for you my friend.
    Danny
    Thanks, Danny, as you can see, I am very proud of my framily.
    The treatment went as good as can be expected, I'm okey though, thanks.

vCash

Women behind The Boxer Award luncheon
    2-28-2009

Bobby, Connie, Frank and Frankie Baltazar

vCash

Frank,

That's the best photo on the site. I would love to have an 8x10
    for my collection. Maybe signed "to my pal Kevin".

vCash

Tony Baltazar vs Chucho De La Cruz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9t5TqRPS68

vCash

Kiki:

You have every reason in the world to be immensely proud of your fine family, and we are glad to see that you are sharing your familial experiences with us on the board. It all sorta brings us closer together, my good friend. Gracias.

Don Fraser deserves a pat on the back for honoring the ladies who play such an important part in the lives of their fighting men.

tu amigo navarro

vCash

Kiki:

Didi I commit a humongous goof in crediting Don Fraser for the ladies' banquet?

I'm finally beginning to feel my age, my friend, and it is also starting to show in several ways. Clue me, Kiki, and straighten me out knowing that I did not mean to slight whoever was responsible for the ladies being duly honored. It was still a very good idea. Okay?

hap navarro

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dongee
    Kiki:

Didi I commit a humongous goof in crediting Don Fraser for the ladies' banquet?

I'm finally beginning to feel my age, my friend, and it is also starting to show in several ways. Clue me, Kiki, and straighten me out knowing that I did not mean to slight whoever was responsible for the ladies being duly honored. It was still a very good idea. Okay?

hap navarro
    "Women Behind The Boxer Award"

The couple that made everything happen last Saturday, Larry & Elsa Montalvo

Hap...Elsa and Larry Montalvo were the one that did all the heavy lifting, Don Fraser was Special Adviser to the Montalvo.

Old age? believe me I too am feeling my age, my cancer surgery and treatment did some harm to my memory bank, I have a hard time recalling past events, I can recall fights that were fought 40-50 years ago, who fought who but, I can't recall the fight itself , oh well, it was nice been there..

vCash

To the Montalvosa My sincere apologies and congratulations on a terrific idea and a job well done.

hap navarro

vCash

And now my computer is failing me......it won't even spell correctly. I still say it's old age and near-senility. Forgive the viejo, please, folks.

hap

+ Reply to Thread