Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: South Africa 2010

Banned
    vCash

Re: South Africa 2010

What a day. I enyoyed watching honda play for Japan. Beuatiful pass at the end when could have scorwed his second.
    Goodbye Italy, a shocker, not sad to see them go.
    Looking forward to this weekend.
    Torn between enjoying a st pauli girl or going with a guiness for the germany/eng game. Allready alerted family, DO NOT DISTURB while I am watching the game.

vCash

Well Spain got through afterall and luckily topped the group and so now play Portugal rather than Brazil! Thank god, because although I am going for Netherlands, I think Spain V Brazil in the final would be out of this world, the best two teams on the planet!

Then again, you can never count out Portugal against them with Ronaldo and Argentina are capable of anything in attack, but Mexico is no easy feat and then England or Germany after that will provide them a very hard path to the semis!

vCash

Well that was just agonizing. I know that Ghana has beaten us before, but I can't help thinking that our guys were just mentally and physically spent.

Congratulations to them, however, on a great effort, and good luck to the black stars on the rest of their tournament.
    Last edited by GanchoIzquierdo; 06-26-2010 at 07:02 PM.

vCash

Ghana outplayed us, plain and simple. They had greater stamina and greater speed (shocked that we can't find faster players of foot) and took more risks. I can't feel that bad for the loss b/c we just are not of the calibre to get into the top 8.

vCash

Watched the South Korea Uruguay game last night. Uruguay has some tight defense and Suarez can score;his second one was a beaut. That being said, the Koreans looked nervous and tenative at times and had plenty of scoring opportunities from the outside. Had they not been so nervous, they may have gotten the win.

It was a heartbreaker for the Koreans and Uruguay was lucky to get the win

Banned
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyfan
    What a day. I enyoyed watching honda play for Japan. Beuatiful pass at the end when could have scorwed his second.
    Goodbye Italy, a shocker, not sad to see them go.
    Looking forward to this weekend.
    Torn between enjoying a st pauli girl or going with a guiness for the germany/eng game. Allready alerted family, DO NOT DISTURB while I am watching the game.

Its decided, split the difference and I'll be drinking yuengling. Looks like brazil has easiest road to the final. I still think germany over england, argentina over mexico, and spain over portrugal. Argentina, spain, and germany might just beat the hell out of each other and the survivor might have little left for the final.

vCash

Brazil pockets me 300 bucks!

vCash

Watched Uruguay, they just sat back after scoring the first goal, disappointing and I was glad they were punished for their lack of attacking football when Korea got the equaliser, but then that Suarez goal was a gem!

Didn't watch Ghana V USA, surprised by the result, but from what I read a rather even match.

That quarter of the draw is easiest by a long shot, Uruguay V Ghana now, not exactly quarter final quality considering you have Spain V Portugal and Germany V England in the second round, but it is good to see teams other than the Europeans up there for once!

Banned
    vCash

US was actually more aggressive than Ghana. They had some opportunities and just couldn't finish. Ghana had less opportunities but made the most out of the them. Physically they are impressive,more like a rugby team, but the passing isn't as good as argentina,germany,mexico,or even japan(IMO).
    slovakia should beat the netherlands and could make it interesting vs brazil, but still, far easier for brazil to advance.
    2 hrs untill todays big game. I'm also interested to see how good argentina is when pushed by mexico.
    germany and argentina should pull it out today. I'd put money on argentina, but the germany game has me worried.

vCash

Yeh, agreed with most of that, and Ghana is missing their star player, one of the best in the world, Essien!

I think Netherlands will comfortable handle Slovakie, particularly now that Robben should be back and fit, he is a weapon!

Argentina have a great attack, best in the world, but they lack defence, they can be skinned by quick attackers and hurt by those who know how to finish. I think Mexico can push them all the way tonight if they play well!

England still over Germany for me, more quality, more star presence, other than that, both are structured and systematic in their tactics so the Germans won't have an edge there.

Banned
    vCash

man oh man my heart is still pounding. It's an absolute disgrace they don't have a goal line camera for replay. Completely changed the whole game. I do believe england was the better team. They controlled the ball from 10-70 minute mark. Germany owned the first 10 minutes and the last 20. After the second german goal i thought it was over, even the german announcer said the germans were dissecting the british. Kudos to england for comming back and it should have been tied. On a positive note, little injury time and both teams played the way the game should be played. Pushing and shoving, yes, but no flagrant dives. 2 unnescessary yellow cards, infractions were not serious enough to warrent those.

vCash

The U.S-Ghana game was very good. I was rooting for the U.S, but they just didn't take their chances.

Of all the disallowed goals I have ever seen in soccer, that English goal was
    the most obvious actual goal. You could have fitted another ball between
    it an the line and both would have been goals. Disgraceful.

I really think this cup has shown that video calls should be made. The decision
    making in some games has been appalling.

vCash

I don't agree at all that England was the better team today. I think Germany outplayed them pretty much throughout, except for a few stretches here or there. Yes, it was a terrible shame about the disallowed goal, but Germany deserved this one.

vCash

I can see how one would think England outplayed Germany overall, but the Germans were by far the more cutting team and really strung together their attacks well.

That goal disallowed against Lamps was a disgrace, as you say Walsh, really shows video ref is warranted at least in the World Cup!

And Argentina got an offside goal, followed up by a second after the Mexicans looked befuddled. Another bad mistake that swung the game around dramatically!

That being said, probably the better two sides did make it through on the night (though Mexicans could argue with that!!).

Banned
    vCash

I'm hoping the argentina game finally forces the world cup to use instant replay. An obvious off sides is not called and mexico is down 1-0.Combine that with the english goal a few hours earlier. Replay is available immediately and could be called down to the judge in seconds. The game is too fast for replay not to be used. Just my 2 cents.
    Argentina vs germany, what a match up. I'm going to give the slightest edge to germany. Just because argentina hasn't faced as much adversity these past few games(IMO). I want to see how they handle being down a goal. I could see a 2-2 tie and a shoot out.

vCash

Agree with all that Philly! The Cup is really heating up now, and they are finally used to the ball which makes a HUGE difference!

vCash

Welter, even forgetting video technology, all that FIFA need is a fucking extra man
    at either goal. At the goal, not 50 yards away and out of position, as the linesmen can be.
    Two extra men at the goal line all the time for these types of incidents.

So, you now have two linesmen and a ref and two extra goal line men. That is hardly a major change, or massively expensive for FIFA.

Argentina-Germany is one tasty prospect, but still not as tasty and interesting
    and hyped as the old enemies, England. I tell you, when the English
    bow out, the cup isn't the same for me. They bring that "hate-love" factor to
    any tournament.

Banned
    vCash

The ref who missed the goal is under extra security I heard. I think the refs would appreciate instant replay for goal situations when so much is riding on a split second call. Radio show this morning said FIFA doesn't want to do it because it would interrupt flow of the game. Thats BS, when a goal is scored, the game is interrupted anyway. Replay is 'instant" and instantly available for the refs.
    I watched 10 minutes of slovakia/neth this morning. I don't know if I was tired or what, but I thought it was horrible soccer and turned it off. Brazil will slice and dice the netherlands from what I just saw them do to chile.
    Man the press is brutal in England. I did laugh out loud when they showed the 3 fans wearing royalty rubber masks at the game.

vCash

Radio show this morning said FIFA doesn't want to do it because it would interrupt flow of the game.
    I think it would interrupt the flow of cash handed around between bookies.

vCash

Yes, tough luck for the mexicans and the english squads. But then again, luck is usually with the team that plays better. I thought Mexico looked really good in the first 20 min. They took 2 long distance shots that put the goalkeeper in trouble and actually hit the posts. But then the Tevez offside and then the Osorio mistake that leads to the second goal by Higuain. Everything crumbled after that. Tevez scores an awesome third goal, no dispute about that one, and Chicharito Hernandez saves the mexican honor by scoring a beautiful goal of his own.

Instant replay is needed badly! Even the refs are considering overturning some of their calls.

Argentina vs Germany should be a great one. Really looking forward to that one, as well as Brazil vs Netherlands.

vCash

Walsh, video replay would be better though, cause it's not just goalline, but calls everywhere on the park that are wrong, from offsides, to tackles in the box, to bogus red cards for dangerous tackles or hand balls, or Kakas 'elbow'. It is just rediculous, far worse than normal refereeing! And it is really ruining what is meant to be the greatest spectacle in world sports!

I thought Netherlands were good against Slovakia, only diff between them and Brazil V Chile, is European teams are far more structured, so Chile is always going to be an easier proposition moving forward! That said, Brazil have impressed me since the Confed Cup!

That's one thing I like about Uruguay though, they are well structured, so not easy to pick apart, yet have attackers like Forlan and Suazo, really remind me of a Country version of Inter Milan.

Spain should make the semis, along with Uruguay. The other two could go either way I think, definately wouldn't have money on either!

Banned
    vCash

spain vs portrugal, put those 2 teams in a cage match and i'd pay to see it. Brutal match.
    Heartbreaker for japan, sorry to see them go.
    Spain looks vulnerable to the long ball which could eventually be in germanys favor, after they beat argentina.
    Looking forward to saturday. Have to make sure yuengling is cold. I might even throw 2 dozen clams on the barbie.
    I'd say replays for goals. Add an extra ref, one for each half. Advise them not to give yellow cards unless they SEE the infraction.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Welterweight Epitome
    Walsh, video replay would be better though, cause it's not just goalline, but calls everywhere on the park that are wrong, from offsides, to tackles in the box, to bogus red cards for dangerous tackles or hand balls, or Kakas 'elbow'. It is just rediculous, far worse than normal refereeing! And it is really ruining what is meant to be the greatest spectacle in world sports!
    !
    Welter, that is where I would disagree. Where do you draw the line? You just mentioned any possible incident that could arise. That would lead to the game being stopped and started as much as NFL. I would just bring in the two
    extra goal line officials and leave it at that. They did it at the Champions league as far as I know, but FIFA were against it.

So, the QF matches are all ready now:

Ghana vs. Uruguay...I wll go with Uruguay. Suarez and Forlan are
    really on form. Too much strike force for Ghana.

Germany vs. Argentina... I will go with the more structured Germans here
    in a close fought match. 3-2 to Germany

Brazil vs. Holland....I have to go with Brazil, but this could be the upset
    match.

Spain vs. Paraguay. Spain all the way

Banned
    vCash

BRAZIL OUT!!!! what and ugly match. the dutch, if they can't beat you, they can beat you up. Ref had his hands full. fouls and diving all over the place.

vCash

Maybe, Philly, but Brazil was doing it's fair share of fighting and whining, as well.

Some had been saying that this might be the year that Spain finally breaks through. But it could very well be the year of the Dutch, another soccer powerhouse that's never found it's way to a WC victory.

Tough break for Ghana. I don't envy Uruguay now. What with Suarez's handball at the end, I can just imagine all the negative vibes that'll be shot their way against the Dutch. An entire continent hates them now!
    Last edited by GanchoIzquierdo; 07-02-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Banned
    vCash

yes, brazil was asking the ref to pull the yellow after every tumble. horrible match all around. Uruguay/neth is going to be ugly. The dutch bulldozing their way through while the uruguayans will be complaining about every tackle.

sorry to see ghana go. They had the size to stand up to the dutch. What a freaking finish though.

vCash

Very close and exciting last night. Ghana having their chance with the last kick (penalty) in Extra Time Shootouts are always great....

vCash

Shootouts are always great....
    I can't think of a shittier way to lose. You play a team on even terms, only to lose from guys kicking a ball into a net from a few meters away.

Why not forgo the freakin game and just have an hour of penalty kicks?!?!?!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Off The River
    Why not forgo the freakin game and just have an hour of penalty kicks?!?!?!
    Now you're talking!

The Argentinins were really exposed today. Germany had far too
    much of everything. Spian next, after a very exciting
    game vs. Paraguay. I would have to fancy the Germans, however, Moller
    being ruled out for a ridiculous yellow card today could really hurt them.

Holland-German final I think.
    Last edited by walshb; 07-03-2010 at 05:22 PM.

Banned
    vCash

What a brilliant game and it has to be a huge confidence booster for Germany. BS yellow card keeping muller out next game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast