Home News Current Champs WAIL! Encyclopedia
The Cyber Boxing Zone Message Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: South Africa 2010

vCash

Re: South Africa 2010

I gotta' agree with you guys, the sport can be very boring most of the time. I would say for every ten matches, two are good-very good and 1/10 is excellent. I do follow the WC though (enjoy it a lot), and the English premiership from time to time. As a sport, it would not be near the top of my list
    Last edited by walshb; 06-17-2010 at 03:10 PM.

vCash

I'd sum up soccer like I would bowling.

Fun to play...dreadful to watch.

vCash

Mexico to Ireland: "You're welcome."

vCash

I completely understand if soccer is not your cup of tea. It's certainly not my favorite sport to watch, but it's not anywhere near as bad as some Americans make it out to be. These people usually don't even give it a chance, shit all over it by complaining about how boring it is, and then plop themselves down to watch baseball or--egad!!!--golf on television.

Now that makes a ton of sense, doesn't it?

Banned
    vCash

I played Soccer

Loved playing it and I feel I excelled at it as well.

I play golf and I am not very good at it at all. In fact, I would say I suck.

My knowledge and appreciation for the history of the sport is limited at best.

Golf to me is about walking the course, conversations and drinking beer.

But I can watch it and enjoy and appreciate it much more so than soccer.

It's different becuase it's about individual shots being made. And the chance for seeing an amazing shot be it a putt, or iron shot, is of a far greater likelyhood than what you see in a soccer match on TV.

Having played the game, I can appreciate and respect the skills, endurance and athleticism of the players.

But the game as a whole does not translate at all well visually on the television.

The majority of the time the angle is too wide and taken from too far of a distance that everything just get's blended and dulled.

Again, this comes from a lifer of playing and coaching the sport.

Hawk

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GanchoIzquierdo
    I completely understand if soccer is not your cup of tea. It's certainly not my favorite sport to watch, but it's not anywhere near as bad as some Americans make it out to be. These people usually don't even give it a chance, shit all over it by complaining about how boring it is, and then plop themselves down to watch baseball or--egad!!!--golf on television.

Now that makes a ton of sense, doesn't it?
    I completely agree with you. I would rather poke my eyes out with knitting needles than play or watch golf or baseball. Two dreadful 'games' (note I didn't call them sports).

Since I'm going to get vilified anyway, let me throw basketball and football into the mix. Football has so many stops and starts that there is no flow to the game and basketball is full of posers. Steve Nash is a 'tough guy' because he plays with a black eye. Hockey players suffer worse than that during warm-ups. Please.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

Does anybody besides me think that Diego Mardrona & Ossie Guillen were seperated at birth? I think their the same guy! The sure act the same.

GorDoom

vCash

Re: I played Soccer

Quote Originally Posted by hawk5ins
    Loved playing it and I feel I excelled at it as well.

I play golf and I am not very good at it at all. In fact, I would say I suck.

My knowledge and appreciation for the history of the sport is limited at best.

Golf to me is about walking the course, conversations and drinking beer.

But I can watch it and enjoy and appreciate it much more so than soccer.

It's different becuase it's about individual shots being made. And the chance for seeing an amazing shot be it a putt, or iron shot, is of a far greater likelyhood than what you see in a soccer match on TV.

Having played the game, I can appreciate and respect the skills, endurance and athleticism of the players.

But the game as a whole does not translate at all well visually on the television.

The majority of the time the angle is too wide and taken from too far of a distance that everything just get's blended and dulled.

Again, this comes from a lifer of playing and coaching the sport.

Hawk
    Trust me, Hawk, I wasn't directing my comments at you. I know your history with the sport, and it's obvious you know more about it than I do--or, at the very least, can compete at it way better than I ever could. (I pretty much sucked at every sport I ever tried, by the way, so it wasn't anything particular about soccer that gave me trouble.) I just think too many people in this country dismiss it without ever giving it a chance. You certainly have, but I would venture to say that most Americans have never bothered to and don't plan on it either. And yet it doesn't stop them from criticizing it.

vCash

Honestly, there is not a sport I hate playing more. It can be a lot of fun, and is great fitness, but it gets very frustrating for me. A bunch of whining, falling down diving premadonas.

As I said earlier. Rugby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvHMcwUAWMU

vCash

Ok, can we get back on track for those who do love soccer/football (which IMO is more based on technique than just about any other sport out there):

This ball is really frustrating me, long balls or switching plays from one side of the field to the other are almost non-existent. Players just can't judge the flight, nor the bounce. Long shots are just spraying and those hit on target nearly always go over, almost impossible to hit it with dip!

Argentina was good to watch though, but they really lack some defence, which IMO will get them up there in the odds, but are a slim chance to win it, as they will be exposed at the back when they come up against someone good!

Mexico, great win over France. Domenech has to go now, no way or doubt about it, even Zidane came out on his back saying he can't coach! Give the job to Zidane I say, that would be great to watch, but not sure he has any interest.

vCash

What's the deal with the ball anyways? Is it supposed to do something special?

I can say that there were sdome dejected Koreans at the pub last night and at work this morning.

vCash

The ball is really flighty, it just sticks up in the air and it has a large bounce.

It's why a lot of the bounces end up causing through balls from goal kicks.

Why they don't switch play from the left of the field to the right to where the open space is or vice-versa.

Why a lot of through balls just keep rolling and end up just going out of bounds because they have too much speed on them.

Why free kicks where they dip in onto the heads of those in the box are now not taken.

Why so many long shots go off target and spray everywhere.

Why even those on target, instead of dipping at the end, which causes troubles for the keeper and can ensure long range crackers don't go over the cross bar, are non-existent.

Which basically explains why the keepers don't like it, the players don't like it and the spectators don't like it. Adidas made a big FARK up when they designed that ball!

vCash

Thanks mate!

One more question.

Why is playing soccer like having sex with a fat woman?

It's fun till your friends find out!!!!!!!! :P

vCash

David James starts for England tonight.... Come on England!

Germany losing, and almost over!
    Last edited by walshb; 06-18-2010 at 09:08 AM.

vCash

I honestly don't know if I'm being biased here, but I didn't see a foul in that play that would've given the U.S. its third goal. The officiating overall, I think, was just plain terrible.

vCash

Anyway ...

Apparently, Diego has learned to make the best of the ubiquitous vuvuzelas.

MANAGING EDITOR-IN-CHIEF
    In an undisclosed bunker deep in the weird, wild, woods of the Pacific Northwest
    vCash

I now have a reason to LOVE the World Cup. Glen Beck's incredibly stupid & poltroonish statement did it for me:

"I hate it so much, probably because the rest of the world likes it so much".

Now that's what I call a true sport's punditry, I'd laugh if it wasn't so painfully provincial & obtuse.

GorDoom

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GanchoIzquierdo
    I honestly don't know if I'm being biased here, but I didn't see a foul in that play that would've given the U.S. its third goal. The officiating overall, I think, was just plain terrible.
    Yeh, I didn't see a foul there, very hard luck on the US.

Some of the calls have been very questionable!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GorDoom
    I now have a reason to LOVE the World Cup. Glen Beck's incredibly stupid & poltroonish statement did it for me:

"I hate it so much, probably because the rest of the world likes it so much".

Now that's what I call a true sport's punditry, I'd laugh if it wasn't so painfully provincial & obtuse.

GorDoom
    Well, knowing that dipshits like Beck and G. Gordon Liddy hate this sport only makes me enjoy it even more.

vCash

Kaka needs to be reinstated after that disgraceful acting display from the Ivory
    Coast player. The player ran into Kaka, who barely raised his arm to shield
    and protect himself, and the IC player goes down like he's been fucking shot.
    This cheating and acting in soccer needs to be firmly dealt with, though
    I am doubting much will change

vCash

Absolutely, walsh. But didn't FIFA announce prior to the tournament that it was going to do just that? I've yet to see any real crackdown whatsoever.

vCash

Yeh, agreed!

Not to mention, the US 3rd goal should have been allowed!

Australia had their WC killed by 2 refereeing decisions.

Kakas red was a joke.

Fabianos hand ball.

I think they should introduce video ref just like in Tennis, where a team gets 3 challenges a half, and once they get 3 wrong, they can't challenge a ref call again.

But how about Portugal, incredible! Class act performance, didn't expect that from them and don't think it will continue, unfortunate, because I would love to see it continue!

vCash

Well, the French messed up 'a la Royal' Good on em. I'm particulary happy to see the Koreans advance. It's be nice to see them make it one more round.

I tell you though, there really are some shitty calls going on here. I know it's like that in all sports, but come on. Why not some kind of video review?

Banned
    vCash

Love the cup and have been having a lot of fun watching it. I don't mind the horns, kind of soothing. I think germany and argentina are the 2 best teams.
    US got robbed , can't believe they don't use replay. 3 players held around the waist and the ref calls a penalty on us. US better watch it, algeria is no pushover. They are scrappy. I don't like the greeks, too much acting. The yellow card on kaka was a disgrace. Upon replay, if they had it, the other player should have been tossed out. At least the world got to see him for the bad sportsmanship he displayed. Glad to see france out of it. It was great watching new zealand tie the italians. A national disgrace for Italy. Italy doesn't have it this year, unless they can come on strong at the end. Portrugal looked good also. Love to see the fans enthusiasm. Best outfit so far was the fan dressed as a kiwi.

vCash

Philly

The Germans looked great in match 1 and very beatable in match 2. I think it's the Argies, Dutch or Brazilians for this trophy.

To Algeria. The U.S are fairly comfy favorites, but me personally thinks that
    the Algerians can win. I think they will. A draw is likely. The Algerians
    are good players, fluid passers and have pace.

Can't wait for the England match. At least now they will really have to go go go for it.
    A draw could see them through, but that is a real risky situation. I wonder will Fabio
    drop Terry? I doubt it, as he has little else to go with.

vCash

Some big results and matchups for round 2!

Argentina V Mexico could see an upset, and England V Germany! God damn, what a matchup, probably boring, but still one of the two favourites are being dumped out!

USA should have their way with Ghana I would think, and Uruguay should beat South Korea which would make a couple of winnable quarter finals for the two teams that come up against these winners!

Tomorrow night is the big one, Ivory Coast will look to go to town on North Korea, Spain V Chile will be spectacular with Spain forced to press all the way, whilst Brazil V Portugal will be an awesome match (too bad Kaka is not playing though)!

I really hope Hondurus can beat Switzerland though, they are a boring team and don't deserve to be in the round of 16! Would allow both the attacking Spain and Chile into the next round!

Banned
    vCash

walsh, Germany look bad in game 2 after a BS red card left them a man down. They looked good, not great , vs ghana. Great looking black uniforms though.

Argentina should beat mexico. Mexico is good, but a notch below argentina.

I like germany over england. It will be very close. England will play like its a grudge match, but I think germany has a mental and talent edge. Germany will be prepared.

I'm looking for ghana to upset the US. Ghana took it easy with germany and US might be a little overconfident.

really looking forward to brazil and portrugal.

vCash

The champs are gone. Thrilling game....Bit sad to see the champs go out in rd 1, but after watching Lippi flee down the tunnel without even a handshake to his opposite number, I don't care now.

vCash

The drama of the USA game, and then the Slovakia-Italy match today as well, was simply incredible.

I, for one, am glad Italy's out. They're just a more talented version of Switzerland as far as I'm concerned. Good riddance.

vCash

LOL, completely agree there Gancho on the Italy/Switzerland comparison!

I actually think England have more talent than Germany and will get the job done. I also think USA will beat Ghana and rather easily. Just don't rate Ghana that much.

Tonights matches are going to be brilliant!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast